PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars is DEAD? says George Lucas

Star_Tours
03-29-2012, 09:00 PM
George Lucas -- 'Star Wars' is Dead | TMZ.com (http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/29/george-lucas-star-wars-dead/?adid=hero2#.T3USu2GKdOQ)

CadBane
03-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Ok George ok.

General_Solo76
03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
It's funny you posted this. I just got done reading about this on msnbc.com. Can't say I blame him. You can only take so much verbal abuse through the years from ungrateful PT haters! He's earned retirement and should just enjoy the rest of his life away from the insanity.

trandoshanhunter
03-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Wow George. Oh well.

DagMarus
03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Didn't he already say this? Like months ago?

General_Solo76
03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Didn't he already say this? Like months ago? Yep! Yet people are still hounding him with these questions.

bobodohn
03-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Just heard my local Fox affiliate tease this "is Star Wars dead??" for the 10 pm news, so I came to RS for some clarification and I wasn't disappointed ;)

If they are meaning the TMZ crud, GL didn't say anything except 7,8,9 will never happen (no new news there) and that he's retired.

Non story. Move along ;)

CadBane
03-29-2012, 09:24 PM
SW might be dead for the rest of his life but once he passes da suits will ressurect it and for that were thankful. More Star Wars please. It's my drug. B)

Darth_Engelhast
03-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Star Wars is not dead yet but Lucas himself is doing his damnedest to kill it.

General_Solo76
03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
SW might be dead for the rest of his life but once he passes da suits will ressurect it and for that were thankful. More Star Wars please. It's my drug. B) What suits? He owns Star Wars. I think you might be clinging to a false hope CadBane. As much as I would love to see more of George's vision for SW, once he passes, SW dies with him. I believe it's been said that his will states no more films are to be made by anyone else when he goes.

CadBane
03-29-2012, 09:37 PM
There is far too much money to be made. Fox and everyone else involved will be dying to make another trilogy. It's inevitable.

Mildoo
03-29-2012, 09:39 PM
What suits? He owns Star Wars. I think you might be clinging to a false hope CadBane. As much as I would love to see more of George's vision for SW, once he passes, SW dies with him. I believe it's been said that his will states no more films are to be made by anyone else when he goes.

Man, what a party pooper.

There is far too much money to be made. Fox and everyone else involved will be dying to make another trilogy. It's inevitable.

Fox doesn't own Star Wars, they just distributed it. That's why Warner Bros. distributed The Clone Wars Movie and why they are the ones that release the series on Blu-ray and DVD.

Lucas owns it.

Masterfett
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Heck I thought he retired back in 1985!

Jedi_Eeth_Koth
Could that interviewer/photographer/whatever stutter anymore? I'd have had five or six questions rolled out before he finished his only one.

But yea, this is non-news. Star Wars is not dead. GL is "retired" or done making new SW stuff.

General_Solo76
There is far too much money to be made. Fox and everyone else involved will be dying to make another trilogy. It's inevitable. Fox cannot make any SW films as they don't own them, only George can make it happen. He owns the rights and if he states that no one else can make further movies in writing through his will, then there's nothing that can be done, as I'm sure George's lawyers have made it Ironclad. I'm just sayin', don't get your hopes up.

CadBane
03-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Lucasfilm falls under others. I'm no legal expert but I believe a will only serves the purpose of demanding something from parties receiving money/land/goods and this is done to ensure that they abide by it. So if he says in his will that his kids can only get money if the promise/swear to not continue sw that makes sense. Katie us getting a taste of the power/fame/wealth so who knows she might delve into a new trilogy one day. SW won't die.

General_Solo76
03-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Heck I thought he retired back in 1985! Lol, true! Back then he wasn't almost 70 years old though. I actually believe him this time. I will say that SW will never truly die though. It will always live on through the fans. :)

deathstar1000
03-29-2012, 09:56 PM
SW dead? Then why would they just renew SW Clone Wars for a new season?

Darth_Engelhast
03-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Strike George down and Star Wars will become more popular than you can possibly imagine.

Jedi_Eeth_Koth
03-29-2012, 09:59 PM
SW dead? Then why would they just renew SW Clone Wars for a new season?

Because CW isn't real SW... :P

CadBane
03-29-2012, 10:08 PM
If CW isn't real then I'm your worst nightmare.

Darth_Engelhast
03-29-2012, 10:09 PM
^
Your not real Jedi_Eeth_Koth! NO YOU :sneaky:

Ian_C
03-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Quoted for truth.

Misleading title. Lucas only said he'd 'never' make Episodes 7,8,9 and that he's retired. But.......I'm kinda happy knowing what we got is it. Reassures me nothing horrific can come of the movie end of the franchise.

Ian

Jedi534
03-29-2012, 10:31 PM
How is this even a legit report??? A couple of jerks yelling at Lucas while he's trying to get to his car so he says in haste "i'm retired" and that's somehow concrete & final??? I thought the Princess Diana death made these a-holes scum of the earth but I guess their more popular than ever because of all the dullards that keep these scumbags in business by watching that brainless show.

Thank You... :|

xMClass
03-29-2012, 10:38 PM
People really need to give the guy a break. I don't understand all the hate towards him. Whether or not you like what he did or didn't do with the prequels, people should at least respect the man. Especially when these TMZ type (insert hateful insult here) people are always harassing him, how do you expect him to react to that? TMZ is a joke and so are the people who actually follow their "news reports." Plus the title of this thread is misleading. George is done with Star Wars, we already knew that. Time to move on, we got what we got from him and be thankful about it instead of acting like insensitive jerks.

Darth_Engelhast
03-29-2012, 10:39 PM
How is this even a legit report??? A couple of jerks yelling at Lucas while he's trying to get to his car so he says in haste "i'm retired" and that's somehow concrete & final??? I thought the Princess Diana death made these a-holes scum of the earth but I guess their more popular than ever because of all the dullards that keep these scumbags in business by watching that brainless show.

^
agreed. The less I know about the personal life of celebrities the better. I am sick of that their real life crap creeping and in spoiling my love of certain movies and music of theirs. I almost can't watch a frame of a Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson movie anymore because all I can see is their true life *****y self now. Thank you TMZ and the media for killing Brave Heart.

That said....I am ashamed to admit that I do enjoy the occasional topless beach photo.

Not ashamed enough to stop looking though.

CadBane
03-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Amazing how quick conversations change in Wuhers lol

Darth_Engelhast
03-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Amazing how quick conversations change in Wuhers lol

It's often my fault. I am the king of unintentionally derailing topics. I applogize for having a mind that wonders off on bizarre tangents.

CadBane
03-29-2012, 11:19 PM
It would have been epic if George screamed "Meesa going hoooommmmeee!!!" before he stepped into the car. Lol

Darth_Engelhast
03-29-2012, 11:22 PM
It would have been epic if George screamed "Meesa going hoooommmmeee!!!" before he stepped into the car. Lol

He may not have said it but I bet you anything he was thinking it.

DarthBeek
03-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Star Wars

RIP

1977-1983

MrPickles
03-30-2012, 12:56 AM
This 30-year old ole chestnut again...?

GNT
03-30-2012, 03:24 AM
His earned his retirement, Star Wars is over simple as that....after all the comments etc about the PT I don't blame him for not wanting to do more, would anyone really want George to do 7,8 and 9 with the OT cast and tarnish the OT? I hope not.

I'd love the franchise to be passed on to someone else but chances of that happening are slim, fans can put up with the dodgy 3d movies for the next 5 years and then we'll call it a day.

SWDave
03-30-2012, 08:47 AM
All this anger and resentment towards George, granted I can understand it since fans can be rabid about what they truly enjoy, however, there will be more movies, I truly believe some day will happen. Just like Star Trek (gasp!) was Rodenberry's baby, when he died, looked at what happened. ST is alive and well. SW will return, his kids will continue the Empire somehow and no matter what his will does or does not say this franchise is too much of a money maker to completely disappear.

CadBane
03-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I agree and that's exactly what I said before. Way too much money to be made.

The_Chosen_1
03-30-2012, 09:53 AM
TMZ are a bunch of hacks desperate to get a story. Star Wars isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Skullsplitter
03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
All this anger and resentment towards George, granted I can understand it since fans can be rabid about what they truly enjoy, however, there will be more movies, I truly believe some day will happen. Just like Star Trek (gasp!) was Rodenberry's baby, when he died, looked at what happened. ST is alive and well. SW will return, his kids will continue the Empire somehow and no matter what his will does or does not say this franchise is too much of a money maker to completely disappear.
That's a very good point. I was never a ST fan of any kind but when they did the Reboot I was converted. I think there are some great writers out there that could do SW justice. I'm a huge Thrawn trilogy fan and even SOTE would be cool with today's CG capabilities it could be done. I don't have a problem with Mr. Lucas it's just that I think I had my expectations pretty high for the PT and for me it just didn't' deliver but I've come to realize that is was me. I don't think any new SW movie could bring back the magic that many of us witnessed in our youth seeing the OT in theaters for the first time.

Michael_Knight
03-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Yes, this tune has been played before and he has said things like doing a movie about Yoda yadda yadda. The cash cow that this intellectual property is can not stay buried forever. There's also the kids who at some point will want to create something for a new generation or perhaps us old fans.

Michael_Knight
03-30-2012, 01:01 PM

^
agreed. The less I know about the personal life of celebrities the better. I am sick of that their real life crap creeping and in spoiling my love of certain movies and music of theirs. I almost can't watch a frame of a Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson movie anymore because all I can see is their true life *****y self now. Thank you TMZ and the media for killing Brave Heart.

That said....I am ashamed to admit that I do enjoy the occasional topless beach photo.

Not ashamed enough to stop looking though.

Oh man you guys hit the nail on the head, after politicians and corrupt CEO's and financiers this is the next segment of the population that I have a scathing contempt for. Never understood the self loathing, low self esteem individuals that have to escape their dismal vapid reality to gobble of every second of this tabloid garbage so they can feel slightly better for a nanosecond to then go back to cramming pastries in their mouth. But I digress and would probably scope it out if some hot starlett that I have been following had some revealing pictures, but that's it I tell you, that's a s far in as I'll go.

deathstar1000
03-30-2012, 01:13 PM

LOL! Got to love OT purists.

CadBane
03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Star Wars

RIP

1977-1983
I guess CW is a zombie then.

Jedi534
03-30-2012, 01:31 PM

Actually, I can totally accept that! :)

Revanfan1
03-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Just because Lucas is retiring doesn't mean SW will stop. There is still EU and TCW, both of which George doesn't control. His company (and daughter) will continue where he left off. He's become bitter, and I can understand why. He said that because they asked him about the movie series. So Star Wars itself isn't dead, but there won't be any more movies.

CadBane
03-30-2012, 02:01 PM
More movies are inevitable Revan.

Jedi_Eeth_Koth
03-30-2012, 02:14 PM
LOL! Got to love OT purists.

I'm actually not, though. I thought it was pretty well-known that I love the OT and PT equally.

I just feel like th CW series is just an extended commercial designed to move SW-like products. None of the stories/episodes have been engaging to me. I find the characters of Ahsoka (makes no sense that Anakin is her teacher - he's no where near that level himself) and Rex (never did like Cones with personalities) to be boring. To me, CW is the least most interesting non-live action movie story.

sinkie
03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Fact is, George did little or nothing to defuse the resentment so he's an equal partner in nurturing it as far as I'm concerned. If he doesn't care, then he shouldn't care! Let it roll off his back. But he obviously does, so then he does all kinds of crap that flame the fans of that resentment. I'd have more respect for him if he'd have never come out saying crap like "My movies!!!" and "These are for the kids!" and "Nobody liked C3PO at first" and by changing then not also keeping the theatrical cuts in circulation (not to mention the news that has recently come to light that he even stole back the copy that was archived in the national archives and replaced it with the the SE!). Play it both ways, pretend like you don't care, maybe you'll convince even yourself. Leave us wondering. I don't know. Try to keep us all happy as a marketing gimmick! He's not above using Star Wars to make money in all sorts of other ways, why not "playing to the fans wants and desires"?

His biggest error: making films in the belief that he could do no wrong and would always be greeted with overwhelming praise. This caused him, so it would seem, to feel like his back is up against the wall and then he had to switch tactics to "I don't care what people think, these are my movies". It is quite an odd sentiment from a guy who not only changed the way we see blockbuster cinema, but who, at one time (and is still on record as saying) said he wanted to give people a great space romp like he fell in love with as a kid. Sounds like he cared what we thought then! And I'm pretty sure he'd see those Flash Gordon stories he loved as, in some way, his since they fueled his childhood imagination that lead to this fiasco.

I don't care if one single new word or frame of Star Wars is ever made again, just like I'm not losing sleep over no more "new" stuff of other crap I love, like Hitchcock films, or Alan Moore's Miraclman comic books (yeah that one's a little obscure), or whatever. Some times things are one-offs, or self-contained and need not go on ad infinitum to be considered worthy of our continued praise and enjoyment.

CadBane
03-30-2012, 02:52 PM
I disagree Sink. IMO as long as what they're making is good then I'm extremely happy even ecstatic to keep watching it. The prequels and Clone Wars are great IMO and I want more. SW transcends other entertainment so it can continue.

Michael_Knight
03-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Yep, you gotta have a thick hide in the biz. He probably never thought he was going to be so wildly successful so that probably threw him for a loop and wasn't ready for the criticism. Bay reacts in a similar way and rather than be humble about and owe up to it they react in a snarky kind of manner that eventually builds up in resentment. Sometimes directors, or anyone in a position where they get to call the shots, become arrogant and think their audiences just aren't good enough for their genius and fail to grasp that you need a collaborative effort, a collection of different minds, to make it count for a large audience.

sinkie
03-30-2012, 03:05 PM
I disagree Sink. IMO as long as what they're making is good then I'm extremely happy even ecstatic to keep watching it. The prequels and Clone Wars are great IMO and I want more. SW transcends other entertainment so it can continue.

You're not really disagreeing, you're just saying you want it to continue. I hope you're not saying things need to constantly expand upon themselves in order to have worth and be enjoyable. Because you'd be wrong.

sinkie
03-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Yep, you gotta have a thick hide in the biz. He probably never thought he was going to be so wildly successful so that probably threw him for a loop and wasn't ready for the criticism. Bay reacts in a similar way and rather than be humble about and owe up to it they react in a snarky kind of manner that eventually builds up in resentment. Sometimes directors, or anyone in a position where they get to call the shots, become arrogant and think their audiences just aren't good enough for their genius and fail to grasp that you need a collaborative effort, a collection of different minds, to make it count for a large audience.

Not to mention you need an audience! ;)

Darth_Sith_Lord
03-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Completely agree with an earlier post by Darth Engelhast! SW is not dead but Lucas is trying his hardest to kill it!

Ian_C
03-30-2012, 07:00 PM

That would make it better than trying to be Star Wars...

There is still EU and TCW, both of which George doesn't control.

And that is why both suck ballz. SW without Lucas directly writing it = wannabe SW that fails miserably......

Ian

DagMarus
03-30-2012, 08:40 PM
And that is why both suck ballz. SW without Lucas directly writing it = wannabe SW that fails miserably......

I'd say even SW with Lucas directly writing it makes it wannabe SW that fails miserably.

Darth_Dork
03-30-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm happy with the Star Wars we have, if George doesn't want to do more, that's fine. I've been a Lord of the Rings fan for 30 years, and in that time we haven't gotten any new stories set in Middle-Earth. No biggie, every few years I pull the books out and re-read them. They're still satisfying.

I'm just afraid that after Lucas is gone, Hollywood will "reimagine and update" the movies. All they do anymore is trample on our happy childhood memories.

Darth_Engelhast
03-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Star Wars is no good to me dead.

DarthBeek
03-31-2012, 03:08 AM
I am always playing my OOT dvds, that is the only SW I need. Worked for years leading up to the dreadful SE's and PT - continues to work now.

All the videogame stuff, EU, CW, etc. simply doesn't make the cut. Folks that constantly say "You guys don't know what you're missing." Yeah, trust me, I'm good.

GNT
03-31-2012, 03:51 AM
SW without Lucas directly writing it = wannabe SW that fails miserably......

If someone else was to make a film they can't do much worse then Lucas after what he did with the whole PT? If someone else did it they might actually make a better film, bring in Nolan and we're set.

The_Chosen_1
03-31-2012, 09:54 AM
See, that's the problem. People think "Oh, just bring in a different director like Nolan-then Star Wars will be better!" are missing the whole point. Nolan has a very distinct style of directing (very much a noire type feel) that's not Star Wars at all. Star Wars has a very distinct flavor that harkens back to the early Saturday morning serials that George always references - and he references it all the time because it's true. IMO the prequels and especially TCW do a good job of reflecting that style of filmmaking. Are they perfect? Hell no. But I'd take a "bad" Star Wars movie over most other garbage out there any day.

And Revanfan1, George is very much involved in the production of TCW.

konas2002
03-31-2012, 09:56 AM
You know, Even if George is done with the films, I think I would be ok with them working on an OT type show like they do with the Clone Wars. Using all the original OT characters would just be amazing to watch every week. I'm sure there's plenty of story's to be told to fill in the time lines between those movies.

sinkie
03-31-2012, 10:12 AM
See, that's the problem. People think "Oh, just bring in a different director like Nolan-then Star Wars will be better!" are missing the whole point. Nolan has a very distinct style of directing (very much a noire type feel) that's not Star Wars at all. Star Wars has a very distinct flavor that harkens back to the early Saturday morning serials that George always references - and he references it all the time because it's true. IMO the prequels and especially TCW do a good job of reflecting that style of filmmaking. Are they perfect? Hell no. But I'd take a "bad" Star Wars movie over most other garbage out there any day.

And Revanfan1, George is very much involved in the production of TCW.

I think people get it, but they think George isn't doing even what he does that well any more.

I'm sure most people suggesting another director know full well it would not be George-like Star Wars, not even OT-like necessarily. It might be, at this point it might very well take an outsider to get how it operates on the audience better than George does. But that's not a sure consequence of someone else taking their turn at it. They could do something suprisingly different but very enjoyable with it, just as everyone involved in ESB surprised the audience with the direction it took that probably no one at the time expected. To bring in a different creative team minus George would be more akin to something like the Batman franchise or Spiderman or whatever and a different writer's take on it. Possibly reinvigorate it. Do something different sure, but maybe really good story and character wise. I mean, at this point, that's about all it has going for it in my opinion. It's an expanding universe, expanding cast of characters at risk of getting thin by the lack of new blood and could be a great place for other creative types to come in and play around. Forget canon, or rather, ONLY stick to the films as a base and do whatever. I mean, how many times have Batman, Superman, Spiderman etc been rebooted in the comics themselves? How many times is canon toyed with there, sacrificed on the alter of telling a better story.

I would NOT take a bad Star Wars movie over something else necessarily. That would be giving too much blind allegiance to something that may have seen better days. I actually love it when something else not Star Wars tells a great story that makes you go, hmmm, yeah, the prequels could have used a bit of that. It shows they are, on the one hand, just films now, competing with lots of other films that are also influenced by Star Wars.

EmperorPalpitate
03-31-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't have much respect for modern-day GL, but TMZ are a bunch of goons. George has said over, and over, and over again that sequels to the OT are never happening. He's had that stance since before TPM. This is non-news. Not sure why people are getting all 'chicken little' over it.:confused:

CadBane
03-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Chicken little?

deathstar1000
03-31-2012, 11:32 AM
All the videogame stuff, EU, CW, etc. simply doesn't make the cut. Folks that constantly say "You guys don't know what you're missing." Yeah, trust me, I'm good.

You say that. But you don't know what you are missing. LOL! :ninja: :D

Ian_C
03-31-2012, 12:10 PM
If someone else was to make a film they can't do much worse then Lucas after what he did with the whole PT? If someone else did it they might actually make a better film, bring in Nolan and we're set.See, that's the problem. People think "Oh, just bring in a different director like Nolan-then Star Wars will be better!" are missing the whole point. Nolan has a very distinct style of directing (very much a noire type feel) that's not Star Wars at all. Star Wars has a very distinct flavor that harkens back to the early Saturday morning serials that George always references - and he references it all the time because it's true. IMO the prequels do a good job of reflecting that style of filmmaking. Are they perfect? Hell no. But I'd take a "bad" Star Wars movie over most other garbage out there any day.

I have nothing to say that explains my stance better than this.

I'm sure most people suggesting another director know full well it would not be George-like Star Wars, not even OT-like necessarily. It might be, at this point it might very well take an outsider to get how it operates on the audience better than George does. But that's not a sure consequence of someone else taking their turn at it. They could do something suprisingly different but very enjoyable with it, just as everyone involved in ESB surprised the audience with the direction it took that probably no one at the time expected. To bring in a different creative team minus George would be more akin to something like the Batman franchise or Spiderman or whatever and a different writer's take on it. Possibly reinvigorate it. Do something different sure, but maybe really good story and character wise. I mean, at this point, that's about all it has going for it in my opinion. It's an expanding universe, expanding cast of characters at risk of getting thin by the lack of new blood and could be a great place for other creative types to come in and play around. Forget canon, or rather, ONLY stick to the films as a base and do whatever. I mean, how many times have Batman, Superman, Spiderman etc been rebooted in the comics themselves? How many times is canon toyed with there, sacrificed on the alter of telling a better story.

See, I don't get this at all.

We're got people in this very forum ALL THE TIME who rip on remakes/sequels/prequels/re-imaginings because they don't stay true to the original tone, look, etc., of the source material. Why are some of you so open to a new director and direction with the franchise, when TMNT is getting bashed all to hell for the same reason (regardless of said directorial change being Michael Bay). We all lament the rapings of our childhood, and how the 'new' versions stray from the original, then condemn it all by saying Hollywood has no new fresh ideas. What makes THIS any different at all? It doesn't - but it makes lots of you guys look like hypocrites (and I'm not pointing my finger at you sinkie).

Chicken little?

"The sky is falling" :rolleyes:

Ian

sinkie
04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Again, I think it is all a matter of degrees or that people tend to generalize when they say "I hate remakes" then they go and praise one up and down. It doesn't really make them hypocrites, they probably just haven't thought through their position entirely clearly and they only think that is the reason they didn't like certain films...until one is done right!

For me, I don't think GL has raped my childhood. What he has done to the franchise does not affect my ability to love the OT, unless I lose my non-SE copies and can't access that. Then yeah, he did kinda wreck it, but in my memories I still love it, he can't touch those. I just think he wasted (or just plain didn't meet the challenge of) a golden opportunity to really do something great that got everyone on board. Instead, it feels rushed, not faithful to the original spirit and tone, and that he just keeps digging his heels in and basically telling all his once loyal fans to go take a flying you know what! And even if it is his right to do that, it doesn't at all take away my ability to say "George doesn't seem to get his own franchise anymore so if someone else gave it a shot, maybe it would be better". It is simply a possiblity, nothing contradictory at all in that belief.

And honestly, there really isn't much that's hard to understand in my statement. I'm saying, OT was great for me and it always will be. So at this point, I'm interested to see what someone else can do with the same universe and franchise without George overseeing it. But I am not demanding it, I could care less if it happens or not! Why would that make me a hypocrite (or someone like me I mean)? I may HATE what this new director does, but I'd still be interested in the experiment. It's all hypothetical until it would actually happen. I don't think anyone is pre-approving any hypothetical product that could come out of such a process. As with any reboot/remake/rip off, if it is good it is good. If it isn't, then yeah, sure, it can easily be faulted for being bad BECAUSE it was attempting to remakes something. Like new Star Trek, I love it even though I am completely aware it is a reboot and doesn't follow the universe of the originals that well and that some hate it because they feel it is simply trying to remake something else. Honestly though, I am completely open to remakes. I am completely open to new Star Wars no matter what form it takes as long as it gels, comes together, and doesn't leave me scratching my head or moaning in disbelief.

Masterfett
04-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Misleading title. Lucas only said he'd 'never' make Episodes 7,8,9 and that he's retired. But.......I'm kinda happy knowing what we got is it. Reassures me nothing horrific can come of the movie end of the franchise.

Ian
I kind of agree if 7,8,9 were made around the same time the OT was maybe we'd still have gotten good SW out of him, but now days we'd end up with some watered down saga that rewrites everything we know.
Plus he'd want to direct and we all know how that turns out, IMO Kirshner directed the best SW movie in history!

I actually feel kind of sad because he doesn't even know he's lost touch with what made SW a good movie.

Jedi534
04-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I actually feel kind of sad because he doesn't even know he's lost touch with what made SW a good movie.
Worse thing is no one will ever dare tell him either.

Michael_Knight
04-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I would if I was given the time to sit with him.

CadBane
04-02-2012, 01:38 PM
You done bad things to SW George. Take a seat take a seat. To catch a director. ​

Real_Scooby
04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
GL should finally step off his throne and give the reigns to someone else. Maybe Joe Johnston, so he could finally come up with this ******-bountyhunting-Boba Fett-movie his was interrested in a few months ago :)

captsithpark
04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
.. give the reigns to .. Joe Johnston, so he could .. come up with this .. Boba Fett .. movie ..
When I heard that bit of news (real or not) the insides of my OT heart were warmed .. Who better, than an orig. creator/ILM'er/employee of the 'SW' corp. to do a little Saturday matinee-style flick on one of the baddest Bounty Hunters in the galaxy (aside from how Lucas killed him off of course :wtf:).. which err, reminds me .. Did Mr. Fett really even die?

I'd love to know what GL really thinks of Joe Johnston and his awesome idea .. C'mon ole' Flannelled one, give it a green light already

CadBane
04-03-2012, 12:02 PM
According to the EU Fett did not die.

Ian_C
04-03-2012, 02:13 PM
According to the EU Fett did not die.

According to us film purists, the EU doesn't mean a thing. ;)

Ian

Skullsplitter
04-03-2012, 04:31 PM
You know I've been thinking. Whether George Lucas makes any more SW movies or whatever or even if someone else takes the reigns so long as we're all here SW will live on forever. OT, PT, EU so long as it's Star Wars and we have our passion it will live on through the force.:grin:

DarthAndosMan
04-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Ian

Your loss ;)

Darth_Engelhast
04-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Your loss ;)

Yes it is....but not a big one.

sinkie
04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
It could be but only if you've decided in advance never to delve into it, give it a shot from time to time. But I think most of us "film purists" (if I understand the term the way it was intended by Ian_C), probably have tried it out and found it not to their liking. So there is no loss in that sense, as long as they are open to it actually speaking to them despite perhaps their reservations and doubts. I gave it a whirl, had some fun, but still find the films (and ultimately the OT) to be what I consider the only necessary Star Wars experience for me personally. (that and maybe the nostalgia of OT-era spin-off stuff, but it doesn't become canon for me)

Ian_C
04-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah, that's about it sinkie.

Nothing I have been exposed to EU has even remotely given me the feeling the films did - and that includes the PT. I enjoyed the PT, the closest any EU ever came was the SOTE video game. I read the Tales Of.... books, and a couple of those stories were alright, but not once did I ever classify them as authentic to the films. No other EU I have even found likeable.

Ian

DarthAndosMan
04-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Sinkie nailed it, MU>EU

CadBane
04-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Ian
Hence the according to. If I accepted it as the truth then I would simply state he survived. I like the idea of Fett surviving but not if he went on to do what he did in the EU.

Darth_Dork
04-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Meh... I used to read the EU books, but you had to read 10 before you found a good one. Then when they killed Chewie off by having a freaking moon fall on him?????

CadBane
04-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Dude seriously? Spoiler alert

DagMarus
04-03-2012, 07:24 PM
How old is the book? Yeah. No spoiler alert. They posted that **** in articles. If you're a Star Wars fan, you should know this. Hell, they had an article in SW Insider about it when it happened.

I like the idea of Fett surviving but not if he went on to do what he did in the EU. You mean continue to hunt Han Solo and generally be complete BA? Yeah, who wants THAT. MUCH better that he's just a clone of some guy who died on accident.

CadBane
04-03-2012, 08:55 PM
The Chewie comment was a joke. I thought I used an emoticon.

sinkie
04-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Meh... I used to read the EU books, but you had to read 10 before you found a good one. Then when they killed Chewie off by having a freaking moon fall on him?????

Just tell me there wasn't a moment when he tried to catch it and actually push it back into space! :P

DagMarus
04-03-2012, 09:05 PM
It's awesome. He saves Anakin, and as the planet is pretty much ripping apart around him, he bellows a challenging roar at the moon about to crush the planet. It was pretty sweet.

BountyHunterBen
04-04-2012, 06:41 AM
I recall that Chewbacca story from years ago! I remember a well draw comic panel of Chewie falling into a fiery pit and Solo just crying... Moving.

But in regards to George Lucas saying no to 7,8 and 9... One I don't want this ever, post RotJ should be for Books, Comics, Video Games ETC. I feel that it'd destroy the beautiful ending that is episode 6.
And Two if he does make them a loud majority of fans will complain that 'it's not proper Star Wars! It's ruined', so you can't blame him for not making them...

Also, is badgering a celeb news?? Blimey, how times change...

Ben

The_Chosen_1
04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
The Chewie comment was a joke. I thought I used an emoticon.

I've been seeing this excuse a lot lately...just saying.

Masterfett
04-05-2012, 10:30 PM
GL should finally step off his throne and give the reigns to someone else. Maybe Joe Johnston, so he could finally come up with this ******-bountyhunting-Boba Fett-movie his was interrested in a few months ago :)

Joe actually brought it up again in a recent interview, but it seems GL isn't keen on anyone else touching his cash cow just yet.

Personally with how he handled Captain America, I think he'd do a great job with a Boba Fett movie.

pghtorchwood
04-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Yes, Star Wars is dead. Georgie and friends killed it. Its taken 15 years of crap prequels, horrible books, lazy video games, and revisionist history to turn what was once a great set of films into pure kindercrap. Star Wars has become a kiddie-only franchise, with all the revenue going to give Lucas the Hutt one more chin. Maybe when he's gone, we can get some redemption.

CadBane
04-06-2012, 02:44 AM
There is another...

DagMarus
04-06-2012, 06:41 AM
There is another...
Totally worth posting. :rolleyes:

But yeah, I have a feeling they keep sucking the blood out of the franchise until there's nothing left. Then refill it with blood and start over. Even if Lucas actually said Star Wars is "dead" that's not really up to him. He may own the rights, but we decide when it's dead.

Cornfedbigdaddy
04-12-2012, 02:17 AM
It's funny you posted this. I just got done reading about this on msnbc.com. Can't say I blame him. You can only take so much verbal abuse through the years from ungrateful PT haters! He's earned retirement and should just enjoy the rest of his life away from the insanity.

You are completly right. The same people who whined and cryed about EP I-III are the same people begging him to make more. If I was George Lucas I would have called a press conference and told everyone to F... OFF!!!!

sinkie
04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
You are completly right. The same people who whined and cryed about EP I-III are the same people begging him to make more. If I was George Lucas I would have called a press conference and told everyone to F... OFF!!!!

Can you prove this or is this just how you feel?

Cornfedbigdaddy
04-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Just how I feel. I think if people wouldn't have reemed Lucas we'd be seeing Episodes VII-IX

sinkie
04-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Ok then, but then he isn't "completely right", you're just in agreement with him and you then further the assumptions to assume that all the PT haters are dying for a sequel trilogy? Ok, well, not me, guess I for one don't fit that mold. Or maybe the people that reemed on him were simply being honest and Lucas simply realized he didn't want to make films if people weren't going to gobble them up like sugary coated breakfast cereal? That's his choice, but if you can't take the heat...go back to making experimental art films (which supposedly he's gonna do!)

btw, "ungrateful Pt- haters"? I'm not sure what that means? We were supposed to be grateful for films we didn't like? That makes no sense. I am still completely grateful for the OT and my anger with GL only grew as the years of questioning the PT received quite an odd backlash from him, as if we were obligated to like it because we were "given" the OT...either that or we were just nerds and didn't get the films were for "kids"....yeah right!

Cornfedbigdaddy
04-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Ok then, but then he isn't "completely right", you're just in agreement with him and you then further the assumptions to assume that all the PT haters are dying for a sequel trilogy? Ok, well, not me, guess I for one don't fit that mold. Or maybe the people that reemed on him were simply being honest and Lucas simply realized he didn't want to make films if people weren't going to gobble them up like sugary coated breakfast cereal? That's his choice, but if you can't take the heat...go back to making experimental art films (which supposedly he's gonna do!)

btw, "ungrateful Pt- haters"? I'm not sure what that means? We were supposed to be grateful for films we didn't like? That makes no sense. I am still completely grateful for the OT and my anger with GL only grew as the years of questioning the PT received quite an odd backlash from him, as if we were obligated to like it because we were "given" the OT...either that or we were just nerds and didn't get the films were for "kids"....yeah right!

I get your point. I too think Ep I-III are flawed. What I'm saying is that people where getting cruel and totally sh@tting on him like he had set out to personally offend people. I support an honest opinion but when it becomes nasty and hateful it crosses the line. I think Ep VII-IX would have been better than Ep I-III but now we'll never know. If someone doesn't like it, don't watch it but don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Toonimator
04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I get your point. I too think Ep I-III are flawed. What I'm saying is that people where getting cruel and totally sh@tting on him like he had set out to personally offend people. I support an honest opinion but when it becomes nasty and hateful it crosses the line. I think Ep VII-IX would have been better than Ep I-III but now we'll never know. If someone doesn't like it, don't watch it but don't ruin it for the rest of us.
"Now we'll never know"? That ship sailed in 1980 or 1981 when he decided to wrap everything up in Episode VI.

Ian_C
04-12-2012, 01:24 PM

sinkie, there are exceptions obviously, but look around this thread and other prequel bashing threads. The evidence is right here on this site. In many cases, the people that condemn Lucas for the PT are the same people who proclaim "SW will never die!" or "Give us what we want!" or the ever-popular "Let so-and-so do the next films!".

Ian

sinkie
04-12-2012, 01:37 PM
sinkie, there are exceptions obviously, but look around this thread and other prequel bashing threads. The evidence is right here on this site. In many cases, the people that condemn Lucas for the PT are the same people who proclaim "SW will never die!" or "Give us what we want!" or the ever-popular "Let so-and-so do the next films!".

Ian

I'm sure there is an overlap, but it is far from a hard and fast rule that those who hate the PT are the same bunch screaming for sequels! In fact, the bulk of the PT haters I know have little faith in new SW endeavors. That was my point. You can blame PT haters for getting under George's skin...or rather as the source of whatever he didn't like about the world of moviemaking, which includes having your detractors, but you can't say that they are the exact same bunch that now deride him for not continuing it. I just don't see it. Star Wars will never die usually means, my love for what it was will never die and not "keep it going or I hate you!" And let so and so do the next is just idle speculation, as in, I don't have faith in Lucas but if you ask me who should do the next ones if they were to ever happen... These are FAR from demanding he do them and crying that he won't. Give us what we want is a fair cry given the time and energy most of us put into it. If he does, that's his choice. The fact he didn't or doesn't, that's his choice and the reality of what he was capable of in terms of meeting the expectations of fandom. I just don't see how lumping the PT haters in with some group begging him to make more makes any sense. It doesn't, generally, and it would be the exception and not the other way around.

Ian_C
04-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I know what you're saying sinkie. And I agree with much of what you said.

You probably just summed it up best when you said there is an overlap. We can't generalize either way.....

Ian