PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Smith's "Comic Book Men" on AMC

zhamlau
02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Well, I just watched the first episode of this show...and im sorta torn. I normally like Kevin Smith and his projects. But this one, I dont know. It just felt very lacking in substance or entertainment. The cast (his employees) seems sorta unlikeable and forced. The laughter seemed artifical when they were standing around, and it got oddly personal/mean. Ive worked in and managed many comic book shops in my youth. Smiths guys seems honestly a little stupid and incapable. Like, I dont know how you can run a shop with such uninformed and slow employees. A guy came in with beat up sketch from Bob Kane who was credited with creating "batman" (not really true either, but thats a story for another day). Bob Kane sketched these little head shots for any and everyone on the planet who asked. You can routinely find these sketchs for between 300-1000 dollars. His was a good one, but it was inscribed (lowers value) to a person, and it was in really bad condition so that 800 dollar range is about right. ANYONE who has worked in a comic book shop that deals with/knows vintage material should know that. Heck, there are limited edition sketched books from Kane out there you can find for a few hundred bucks.

So, the guy with 20 years of vintage collecting/"expertise" who runs the shop is asked to appraise the value of the sketch...and he says "wow, you should go to Sothebys with that...its worth maybe $100,000 dollars"....wtf...?!?!?

That would be like someone who works as a buyer on a used car lot saying "wow, I really like your late 90's Toyota Celica with 120,000 miles...I think its worth a quarter of a million dollars!"

If you are that dumb or have that lack of basic knowledge of your industry...then you probably shouldn't be working as a many-year manager of a comic book shop, let alone some "expert" being trotted out on TV like some sort of authority.

The guys who ran the shop seemed dumb, their banter even with smith was canned and forgettable. Unless this show gets worlds better, I cant see it lasting.

MasterAbsinthe
02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
I agree with your post.At least there is a show about comic books as I dont think 10 years ago they would have thought about a show like this.

CadBane
02-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Even though they are not the same thing I could see this being some serious competition for toy hunters.

E_CHU_TA
02-14-2012, 02:24 PM
yeah i didnt find it very funny or entertaining.

CadBane
02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
It was ok. Looks like he went out of his way to have no star wars allusions. Even though it's comic book show I thought there would be a little sw talk.

Darth_Dork
02-14-2012, 04:37 PM
I get the feeling this was rushed to compete with Toy Hunters. I figure by this summer there'll be 6 different toy/comic shows. :\

CadBane
02-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Ming can't sell anything.

Ian_C
02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Saw the commercials, thought it would be worth watching, and turned it off 20 minutes in. Bland and unentertaining. Should have known better - that describes most of Smith's movies too.

Ian

Coz
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
I kinda wanted to punch that guy who was smashing the plates at the flea market.

Mildoo
02-14-2012, 08:00 PM
This show was awful. I only watched it so I could see what was going to happen next on The Walking Dead and what I saw was an immensely unlikable group of people that tried to be funny but failed. Did they really have to start the show with an episode with these 4 losers talking about what female superhero they'd want to bang?:|

Even if they stick in the preview of the following The Walking Dead episode in a commercial during this show I won't be bothering to wait for it.

StarbaseEarth
02-14-2012, 11:57 PM
It explains why Kevin has not been able to successfully expand his store. To do that he would need a decent management staff

zhamlau
02-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Yeah, it appears most people agree on this one. Smiths movies as of late sorta sucked, but not horrendous...this show is getting to "jersey girl" level of crap. "cop out" "red state" "jersey Girl" are becoming the standard for this guy, which is another way to say "Cr@p". This show is managing to lower the bar. Thats saying something.

MrPickles
02-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Wow. Looks like I'll save myself the trouble & just delete this from my DVR.

EmperorPalpitate
02-16-2012, 01:00 AM
I loved it. 'Course, I've been listening to their podcast, Tell 'em Steve-Dave for over two years, so I'm kinda biased. The podcast is hilarious, and doesn't have anything to do with comics or geek culture.

E_CHU_TA
02-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Saw the commercials, thought it would be worth watching, and turned it off 20 minutes in. Bland and unentertaining. Should have known better - that describes most of Smith's movies too.

Ian

pretty much what i meant to say.

I kinda wanted to punch that guy who was smashing the plates at the flea market.

and i totally agree.

SWDave
02-20-2012, 07:42 AM
I thought the second episode was much better. Driving around in the batmobile had to be fun.

WarCry
02-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Did they really have to start the show with an episode with these 4 losers talking about what female superhero they'd want to bang?:|

Honestly? Yeah, they did. If you want it to be an honest conversation, then you can't complain when they talk about things that geeks REALLY DO talk about. And if you're going to say "No one really talks about that sort of thing!!!" then you've not hung out with geeks, and you've completely missed this thread (http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1074860/) that has over 150 responses. And if you think that thread isn't the same thing because it says "crushes", then you're a master of spin control.

Kevin Smith is trying to make a show that shows what it's like to hang out with him and his buddies. I have no trouble believing the podcast segments are dead on. My only complaint is that it seems like it's "Pawn Stars" with comic books.

CadBane
02-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Have to check out the second ep.

jedimom
02-20-2012, 07:18 PM
This was better than I thought it would. But I can't believe how Jay is nowadays

MrPickles
02-20-2012, 08:42 PM
1) Stumbled upon the tale-end of this episode 'cause the channel was already on AMC. This is a Star Wars message board and no one has even mentioned the lightsaber segment yet.

2) Mewes = drug abuser, & they've clearly caught up w/ him.

SWDave
02-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Jay was acting, in my opinion. I met him a few years ago at a Convention and he seemed very down to earth and not so "spacey" as he protrayed in the second episode. And, as far as I know, he has been clean and sober since then.

The lightsaber was cool, but nothing we haven't seen before, if you have gone to the magic and myth tour or the prop displays at the various Celebrations. I would like to know how that "expert" knew it was from Empire and it is was a stunt version. With all the reference material out there, I would believe somebody could have made it themselves.

Star_Tours
02-22-2012, 07:00 PM
I live in Red Bank, and I know the store owners. This show honestly is bad. I think this was a total waste of time.

AnthonyP
02-22-2012, 07:04 PM
The show is OK to me. I'll watch it if it's on, but I won't go out of my way to make sure I see it.

CadBane
02-22-2012, 07:48 PM
It's entertaining but who is going to go to a comic shop and sell something. Craigslist, eBay, facebook anything else use. Do you really think your going to make good money fro a comic shop who's going to pay you the least amount possible for your item so they can maximize profit? Come on!!

Nerfherder
02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
We've all learned over the past few months that these things are staged to some degree. I mean, c'mon, a guy is just going to randomly show up with a batmobile? Most of the people on this show have either already sold the item to them beforehand, or the comic store already owns it. Either way, this show seems to be more about the characters and less about the items. The lightsaber still baffles me. I can't believe that thing is real.

E_CHU_TA
02-22-2012, 10:35 PM
i havent found either episode very entertaining and have mostly only watched the second because its sort of sandwiched between walking and talking dead.

and im telling you me and that big bearded guy would very much not get along.

cu_tiger
02-23-2012, 04:50 AM
I DVR'd the first episode. It took me the whole week to finally sit down and watch it and I wish I had that hour of my life back. It was funny in spots but not worth my limited TV watching time.

CadBane
02-23-2012, 08:10 AM
7 grand for that prop. Who here would save up and buy it?

zhamlau
02-24-2012, 05:41 PM
yeah, crappy show it appears still. Oh well, Smith strikes out again.

CadBane
02-24-2012, 05:56 PM
The hockey skit was really vapid

MrPickles
02-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Briefly flipping through the show & noticing all the unusual characters both working the store & the ones coming in, I couldn't help but wonder to myself, "Is everyone is Jersey like this?" :shudders:

CadBane
02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
It's like every place else rich and poor

Captain_Piet
02-26-2012, 01:38 PM
This show is Smith's self-indulgent trash.

CadBane
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Who thinks Kevin Smith visits this forum? Also Piet haven't you seen jay and silen Bob strike back? Don't get your door if you see Mewes cuz he's gonna deck ya. ;)

zhamlau
02-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Saw last nights episode. It was a step up...in that it wasn't painful to watch, just not fun/enjoyable. I still have issues with their "expertise" and knowledge about values of items they buy and sell. They actually paid cash for a collection of Firesides...and they paid like $200 bucks for 5 of them...WTH?!?!?! You can routinely pick up 3 of the 4 books for five dollars each, like on ebay even. One sells $15, and one sells $40-ish. Add that up and you get 70 bucks selling price. How can you stay in business paying 200 dollars for items you would be hard pressed to get 80 back on, and you have overhead? Not only that, but what about the collection they dealt with to start? That was a huge pile of decent material. There was a FF 16 there with a store stamp, and he was acting like that was damage...actually genius, its not. store stamps are not considered damage in terms of grading/value. This has been the case for 30+ years. Gem mint square cornered Spiderman 8 will still get a gem grade even with that stamp. Some collectors like that in fact.

But, what killed me is that he only wanted to cherry pick out the easy to sell vintage decent material, and wanted to pay 200 for the stack...wtf?!?! He paid 200 for 5 trade paperbacks worth 70 tops, but is hard-balling this lady on her 800 dollar sell-able material at 200 only?

To make matters worse, they negotiate a commission rate for her to leave it, and its like 20 percent only?!?!?! First off, i don't know hardly anyone who will commission anything but the most cherry of stuff in their shop, and if they do they sure as heck are taking more then 20 points off the sale.

Everything about this show seems wrong. Its almost like they invented this shop 3 weeks before the show, and hired guys who read a few comics as kids 3 decades earlier to run it for them. Oh well, rant over.

pitsch
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
i havent seen this show yet but thought it could be good, but after reading this thread, maybe im wrong, i will watch it to see what its like.

DSIILuke
02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
I enjoy some of the humor and nothing more. Only watch to see TWD preview (and it's background noise for homework)

Professor
02-28-2012, 05:04 PM
This show is Smith's self-indulgent trash.

Hit the nail on the head!

HappyNoodleBoy
02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
I've caught a bit of 2 episodes and I wonder how this crap is even on.
It's not funny, boring, and has no real contribution to anything. Not even comics I think.

pitsch
02-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, so i guess with all the news of comics selling for a lot, they try to make a show, i think there is a market for a comic show, but not this one.

StarbaseEarth
02-29-2012, 10:16 PM
They just need a better store with a more professional staff

pitsch
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
yes they do, this one is prolly staged and fake

Chamberlain
03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
its sort of sandwiched between walking and talking dead.

Well then perhaps now he'll appreciate what it's like to sit on either side of him on a commercial airline.

zhamlau
03-02-2012, 12:32 AM
I think there would be a market for a true show about comics, especially older comics...Only this show would feature people who actually know the value of things. It would show high end material, being bought, sold, and traded. The pro's and cons of CGC grading, golden age versus silver and bronze age, and finally how to both land large collections and how they are broken up and sold off (keeping the best toys for yourself).

It can also focus on modern variant collecting and independent low print run material. Maybe even stuff about comic art and assorted ephemera. It really could and WOULD work, its just a matter of having someone in hollywood/NYC with enough guts to make a show about real collecting of ANYTHING for once. No stupid fake "auction show" hype with actors and staged finds, just straight up grind art-of-the-deal horse trading and displays of knowledge.

CadBane
03-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Just watched the third ep. Cool to see transformers on the show. Anyone spit the spirit obi wan by the counter.

MrPickles
03-03-2012, 09:14 PM
I can't figure out why, but I'll probably still watch. Kinda like watching a live trainwreck.

brewser
03-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I like how the walking dead comics are always featured prominently in many shots - nothing like shameless cross promotion.

CadBane
03-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Just watched the third ep. Cool to see transformers on the show. Anyone spit the spirit obi wan by the counter.
Wow I meant spot it. Lol

SWDave
03-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Wow I meant spot it. Lol Right on top of their computer!

Say what you will, but I enjoy the show.

bobodohn
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm digging the show too. Just different enough to keep me interested.

Ashy_Larry
03-04-2012, 10:58 PM

ha, just noticed obi wan tonight. I pointed it out to my wife, and she gave me a blank look. I keep saying I don't like this show, yet I've watched all the episodes so far. So i think i'm warming up to it, hope it sticks around. Plus Walking dead is a pretty heavy show, it's nice to watch something way lighter before i go to bed so i don't have nightmares:grin:

SoonerSean
03-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I think the show has gotten better since the first one. It's still not "must see TV" but I've laughed a lot more since the first one and it's neat to see some of the stuff that comes in - whether it's staged or not. The guy fumbling to try and explain why he was trying to sell the broken Godzilla was funny and I loved seeing the Surfer art.

DarthAndosMan
03-05-2012, 09:00 AM
lol poor Ming, I really like the series it was cool to see how the guy didn't bamboozle the woman out of all her 60's marvel comics and recommend a price guide had this been pawn stars she would've gotten a crooked deal. Surfer art was really neat, the guy trying to sell a broken Godzilla made me laugh even funnier when he tried to find a way around the broken tail.

E_CHU_TA
03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
i still want to punch that big bearded guy.

SWDave
03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
He is a d**k, but I think his "character" is needed to counter balance the show.

zhamlau
03-05-2012, 02:54 PM
It was pretty funny to watch them sell about 800 dollars in books to that lady for 1600. all of those were fines, no better. Maybe they quote such high prices because they put everything up well above market value? As for not buying the collection, that was about a 6000 dollar collection, they couldnt have paid 1200 or so on TV without looking like straight up criminals. Its not that its wrong, but it would have looked bad.

CadBane
03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
What do you guys think about Walt?

SoonerSean
03-05-2012, 06:36 PM
It was pretty funny to watch them sell about 800 dollars in books to that lady for 1600. all of those were fines, no better. Maybe they quote such high prices because they put everything up well above market value? As for not buying the collection, that was about a 6000 dollar collection, they couldnt have paid 1200 or so on TV without looking like straight up criminals. Its not that its wrong, but it would have looked bad.

I'm surprised they sent her on her way with just a suggestion to find a price guide. We've already seen them at least twice offer to sell stuff on consignment - the lady from Long Island last week had a box of junk compared to what they had a chance to sell here (given it wasn't in great condition). That's what makes me think some things are staged... why offer to sell junk on consignment and not some good silver age books?

zhamlau
03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm surprised they sent her on her way with just a suggestion to find a price guide. We've already seen them at least twice offer to sell stuff on consignment - the lady from Long Island last week had a box of junk compared to what they had a chance to sell here (given it wasn't in great condition). That's what makes me think some things are staged... why offer to sell junk on consignment and not some good silver age books?

DING DING DING!!!! That material is the stuff you take on consignment...You just proved you can sell mediocre material for double normal value...this is exceptional material, you should be able to make a killing. But again, something goofy happened and the normal rules yet again didnt apply to this situation. it really is starting to feel straight up "storage wars" faked.

CadBane
03-07-2012, 01:08 PM
The fact that the Godzilla guy said his Rock was 125 and then he jumped to 175 pretty quickly proves that couple got screwed. That thing was probably worth 275 or 300. You know he's gonna flip it

Darth_Dork
03-07-2012, 06:40 PM
I can't wait till TV show producers figure out that most of us got past 2nd grade.
I've really lost my taste for this type of show.

King_D
03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Anyone that is a fan of Kevin's films and comic books will enjoy this show, I know I do because I KNOW that this isn't supposed to be an actual portrayal of "a day in the life of a comic book shop". It's "Reality TV", which isn't "real" at all. 99% of Reality TV isn't scripted; it's is set up, staged, and edited. Wanna watch something meaningful and serious? Check out Schindler's List.

Considering how incredibly anal and critical some of you guys are about 3 & 3/4 pieces of plastic, I'm not surprised that you don't know how to relax and have a little bit of fun.

pitsch
03-07-2012, 08:57 PM
all in favor of voting king_d off the forums say "I"

"I"

medic62812
03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
i've watched maybe 15 minutes of this.
some guy just walks in and magically produces the first appearance of Wonder Woman, Robin and has Superman issues in the teens.
yeah, that wasn't staged. wink wink, nudge nudge

King_D
03-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Who are you?

Carnor_Jax
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I love it how people can say how a comic looks and what grade it is by watching it on TV....:whistling:

And this show is more entertaining than watching that tool screw people over on Toy Hunters

rookie_pilot
03-07-2012, 09:23 PM
all in favor of voting king_d off the forums say "I"

"I"

Nay. I don't always agree with king_d but on this subject I do. He hit the nail on the head. Reality TV has storylines, just like an hour long drama. Each epsiode needs a focus and if it doesn't it wanders aimlessly and doesn't attract the viewer.

This show has grown on me and the "customers" don't feel so staged. The best thing about the show is the video podcasts. If they highlighted a part of someone's collection and used it as a springboard to a discussion topic, rather than acting like they are the NJ comic nerd version of Pawn Stars, I think the show would be better.

This show is done when Walking Dead ends so we don't have much more to go.

pitsch
03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
well I'm Tim, I just found this website, its really cool, i love Star Wars, that why im here. im married, just got out of the Marine Corps. ummm, if you wanna know more just ask ;)

pitsch
03-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Nay. I don't always agree with king_d but on this subject I do. He hit the nail on the head. Reality TV has storylines, just like an hour long drama. Each epsiode needs a focus and if it doesn't it wanders aimlessly and doesn't attract the viewer.

This show has grown on me and the "customers" don't feel so staged. The best thing about the show is the video podcasts. If they highlighted a part of someone's collection and used it as a springboard to a discussion topic, rather than acting like they are the NJ comic nerd version of Pawn Stars, I think the show would be better.

This show is done when Walking Dead ends so we don't have much more to go.

LOVE Walking Dead, wish more shows were like that.

King_D
03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
well I'm Tim, I just found this website, its really cool, i love Star Wars, that why im here. im married, just got out of the Marine Corps. ummm, if you wanna know more just ask ;)

Yeah, we wouldn't get along because I'm an Army guy. Nonetheless, welcome to the forum.

pitsch
03-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Yeah, we wouldn't get along because I'm an Army guy. Nonetheless, welcome to the forum.
lol, ya, im just joking too, no one need to get kicked off. Also thanks for serving.

CadBane
03-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Its awesome how they have Kevin Smith act like he doesn't know Anything. They make him like the uniNformed protagonist of the table discussions in which the audience vicariously learns through.

zhamlau
03-10-2012, 02:21 AM
Still bothers me non of them know anything about comics value if its older then 1995.

CadBane
03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Any of you own or work at a comic shop at one point? The woman who wanted the giant sized x men was flipping through the pages. How strict was your discretion about who you would and would not let view books like this?

HappyNoodleBoy
03-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Any of you own or work at a comic shop at one point? The woman who wanted the giant sized x men was flipping through the pages. How strict was your discretion about who you would and would not let view books like this?

I tried watching this crap again. No dice.

But about the woman flipping through the book, I'm pretty sure it was pre-arranged that she was already going to buy the books. These shows aren't as "as it happens" filming. They probably had an arrangement and made it look like she was some random schmuck coming in for expensive books. :|

CadBane
03-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree it was premeditated but I was wondering about this sort of thing. Like does a comic book shop owner let any customer look at a book. Do they ask them to wash their hands before touching it and stuff? Lol

SWDave
03-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Still bothers me non of them know anything about comics value if its older then 1995.

Opps, sorry, read your post wrong.

I think they are pretty spot on some of their prices, not that I would pay what they are asking though . . .

DarkManX
03-11-2012, 01:13 AM
i still want to punch that big bearded guy.

Don't mess with Steve/Dave

DarkManX
03-11-2012, 01:14 AM
What do you guys think about Walt?

Glad to see he finally got the gerbils out.

CadBane
03-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Glad to see he finally got the gerbils out.
What do you mean?

Carnor_Jax
03-11-2012, 11:47 AM
What do you mean?

He means he must be gay...

CadBane
03-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh right Richard gere.

DarkManX
03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Or you guys could watch the movie Mallrats to understand the reference.

Carnor_Jax
03-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Or you guys could watch the movie Mallrats to understand the reference.

Yea saw it......

zhamlau
03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Opps, sorry, read your post wrong.

I think they are pretty spot on some of their prices, not that I would pay what they are asking though . . .

See, they paid like 200 bucks for a pile of firesides that EBAY for less then 70 for the set. They said a 400 dollar bob kane sketch was like 5000+ dollars. And finally they sold a woman 800 dollars in common (but desirable) Fine+ books like 181 and GS 1 for $1700 dollars...They just dont seem to know what anything is worth, they grossly overpay for some items, and rip people off...basically everything is 3-8 times higher then it should be in their shop, even by shop prices (ran many in my day). Whats REALLY odd, is that they wanted to give this OTHER lady like 200 bucks for 800 sell-able of older material, and wanted to only cherry pick it. BUT THEN they took it on commision for like 20-25 percent, WTF?!?!?

On every level, prices were horrid. Thats how you tell a good shop, can price by looking and arent off by 700% or more.

King_D
03-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Is it really that hard to comprehend that this show is not a day in the life of a comic book shop?

I haven't been in a comic book shop in probably 8 years, but the last time I was, there were a bunch of virgins playing Magic: The Gathering. Who the hell would want to watch a TV show about that?

zhamlau
03-11-2012, 11:30 PM
If 50 percent of the show is about the day to day buying and selling that goes on at a comic book shop, then you gotta come remotely close to getting at least one evaluation correct. If not, then they should just embrace their fanciful lack of knowledge on comics and their values/prices. The show would be better if we heard things like "Id like to buy this Xmen 3 in VF, how much do i owe ya?" "oh geez, maybe i think a vial of elf tears and 3 talking magpies, ill bag that and ring you up at the counter.". That's about as accurate as any of their assessments, and it would at least be interesting to watch over guys just guessing horribly on value while pretending to be experts.

DarkManX
03-12-2012, 12:19 AM
You amuse me with your nonsensical obsession with something you clearly hate,Ahab.

SoonerSean
03-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Whether they fake the stuff they buy/sell or not... I'm starting to enjoy this show more and more. It has actually had some pretty funny moments the last couple of weeks.

I would be curious to see them acknowledge whether some of the prices they give are just to try and create "buzz". Surely guys that have been collecting for a number of years know the price ranges of certain items. I mean they couldn't be in business if they grossly over (or under) estimated stuff. In almost every episode they've immediately identified the importance of a particular issue of a comic series. So they know what they're talking about - or we are just missing them hitting google. I just think some of the far out prices are either them being silly for TV or knowing that hardcore comic fans are rushing off to discuss the price they gave and they enjoy lighting the fire.

I have no idea why he bought the Batman cowl for what he did. He clearly said there was no way to know when it was made or who made it - then paid hundreds of dollars for it. WHAT????

And while I'm amazed anyone could put Mego figures out for sale at $5 each - they didn't have any accessories and might not have been in great condition (couldn't see them up close) - I've seen people in antique malls do things like that and I've seen the opposite where someone wants $100 for a $5 toy.

And the Frankenstein bike buddy... saw one on ebay with a BIN of over $600. Seller is in NJ. Wonder if it's the guy from the show that bought it.

CadBane
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Kevin Smith wants his sandman statue back. I love how a few episodes ago they gave some aspiring director guy less then a 100 for his stuff like that would actually help toward him getting his film made.

DarkManX
03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Kevin Smith wants his sandman statue back. I love how a few episodes ago they gave some aspiring director guy less then a 100 for his stuff like that would actually help toward him getting his film made.

Lol very true but at the same time, making a movie is a hell of a lot easier to do now than it was even 10 years ago.

CadBane
03-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Like the enlightened ones stated on the show though. Since it is everyone does it therefore it's hard to even stand out and get recognized.

zhamlau
03-12-2012, 06:33 PM
You amuse me with your nonsensical obsession with something you clearly hate,Ahab.

The problem is this, people see shows like this and think "this is real"...and then they start going to comic book shops thinking these prices are normal, or this is how they act. It hurts business down the road, and it presents the entire industry poorly as morons who guess or lie. Its like storage wars, it presents it in such a way that misrepresents it totally and in the end hurts those who try and make a real living doing it before the cameras started rolling. not exactly random hate, just dislike for the fact its gonna hurt a lot of my friends business as all bad/false examples of comic book selling/market values tend to do. You think you will be able to buy anything as a store owner when people see the crazy BS prices these guys throw out?

Taking money out of peoples hands, and food off the table...thats never funny or cool.

King_D
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
The problem is this, people see shows like this and think "this is real"...and then they start going to comic book shops thinking these prices are normal, or this is how they act. It hurts business down the road, and it presents the entire industry poorly as morons who guess or lie. Its like storage wars, it presents it in such a way that misrepresents it totally and in the end hurts those who try and make a real living doing it before the cameras started rolling. not exactly random hate, just dislike for the fact its gonna hurt a lot of my friends business as all bad/false examples of comic book selling/market values tend to do. You think you will be able to buy anything as a store owner when people see the crazy BS prices these guys throw out?

Taking money out of peoples hands, and food off the table...thats never funny or cool.

Who exactly is this hurting? The moron that thinks their copy of Youngblood #1 is worth more than a nickel because it's Rob Liefeld's first Image comic? That moron deserves to be mocked.

Better yet, if some moron sells their VF/NM Giant Size X-Men for $20 because they didn't do their due diligence to find out how much it's actually worth? Oh well, stupidity is not an excuse. They know it might be worth something, otherwise they wouldn't bring it to a comic book show to have it "appraised".

Either way, you still seem to fail to understand that this show is not an actual portrayal of a day in the life of a comic book shop employee, it's a SATIRE OF THE DAY IN THE LIFE OF A COMIC BOOK SHOP EMPLOYEE!!!

zhamlau
03-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Who exactly is this hurting? The moron that thinks their copy of Youngblood #1 is worth more than a nickel because it's Rob Liefeld's first Image comic? That moron deserves to be mocked.

-no , its hurting the comic shops who make a living buying and selling mid range and older comic books. People see shows like this, and they see the overinflated incredibly inaccurate appraisals these guys throw out and think "well heck, my stuff must be worth bajillions too"...so when they go to sell to comic shops (one of the main reasons to even OWN a brick and mortar store now), they come in thinking they know whats what, and how much stuff is worth cause they saw this show...and it poisons the well.

If you want to grow a thing, and make it more widely know and accepted...then you have to be careful how you sell it to the masses. By being wrong on everything, being shady and somewhat dishonest in pricing, by grossly overcharging some and paying stupid outrageous prices for others you make the hobby look bad. You make the business look bad, and in the end you give off the wrong impression and misinformation that can only hurt stores not help em. No pub is better then false/misleading pub.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Better yet, if some moron sells their VF/NM Giant Size X-Men for $20 because they didn't do their due diligence to find out how much it's actually worth? Oh well, stupidity is not an excuse. They know it might be worth something, otherwise they wouldn't bring it to a comic book show to have it "appraised".

The issue isn't them underpaying, the issue is when them basically guessing prices that are 4x10 times their actual value on items people still bring into shops to sell. The issue is them ripping folks off when they do sell them items, and by them publicly misrepresenting items of value. That itself is not a crime, but it hurts the industry when your biggest public face is full of goofy somewhat dishonest and completely un-knowledgeable unlikeable flunkies who suck at their jobs, or are very dishonest.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Either way, you still seem to fail to understand that this show is not an actual portrayal of a day in the life of a comic book shop employee, it's a SATIRE OF THE DAY IN THE LIFE OF A COMIC BOOK SHOP EMPLOYEE!!!

From the IMDB approved talking points on their site for the show.

-An unscripted series set in Smith's iconic comic shop Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash
Comic Book Men (TV Series 2012) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2174367/)

-Comic Book Men is a one-hour unscripted television series
Comic Book Men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Men)

-Comic Book Men (AMC, Sundays at 10 p.m. ET), a reality show about a crew of perfectly nice geeks
Kevin Smith’s Comic Book Men: Reality TV about geeks. - Slate Magazine (http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2012/02/kevin_smith_s_comic_book_men_reality_tv_about_geek s_.html)

-Comic Book Men is a reality show by AMC and director/writer/podcaster Kevin Smith (http://www.amctv.com/shows/comic-book-men/cast/kevin-smith) that brings you an inside look at what it's like to work at a comic book store.
COMIC BOOK MEN (http://comicbookmen.tumblr.com/)

from all reviews, from the creators own press releases, and from all people who watch it...its not in anyway shape or form a satire on any level of the word. It bills itself as a reality show, it reports to be a reality show, its reviewed as a true life reality show.

Anyway, this is really just us going in circles. I dont like it because it makes the industry look bad/dishonest/foolish and it poisons the well and can/will hurt real comic books shops bye putting out unrealistic expectations of value/how things sell. It will take an industry and needs to not suffer right now (how many comic shops in your town have closed in the last 5 years?) and does just a little more damage IMO. That's why i'm not a fan. Lets not make it any harder on these guys in the real industry to make a living as i feel this show has/will.

jediblood
03-13-2012, 07:23 AM
The guy that sold that Commando ninja figure got ripped off, I saw one sell for over $200 on ebay.

DarthBeek
03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
This show is just terrible. The annoyance factor of each of those workers is off the charts. The ONLY reason I have it on is to watch the "well placed" Walking Dead sneak preview.

Cancel this crap already. You are better than this AMC.

zhamlau
03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
actually...on some level thats my biggest gripe, that it just sucks. at least storage wars, while blatently dishonest and unrealistic, at least its entertaining lol.

CadBane
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
e . The ONLY reason I have it on is to watch the "well placed" Walking Dead sneak preview.

Well that's the real trick isn't it?

DarkManX
03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
The guy that sold that Commando ninja figure got ripped off, I saw one sell for over $200 on ebay.

That's ebay though. People pay thousands of dollars on ebay for pictures of the PS3. The Stash still has to sell that Commando figure. How many people are actually looking for that doll? How many people even knew there was a Commando line?

Z,how's your comic book store doing?

jedimom
03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Did it actually sell on eBay for that price or was it just listed at that price.

That's one of the misconceptions about eBay...you can list an item for hundreds of dollars, but that doesn't mean it will SELL for that price. And it gives people trying to figure out a value for what they might have some very unrealistic ideas. eBay is what has really ruined just about every facet of collecting

SoonerSean
03-13-2012, 03:10 PM
In regards to the Frankenstein figure (I know you're asking about the Commando - or at least I think you are)... I know that the BIN prices don't mean "market" price. I only mentioned it bc the seller was listed as being from NJ and thought it might have been the guy from the show.

There was a MIB version at the same time that was a pure auction and it was north of $200. But I wasn't curious enough to see where it finished up. It had a few bids.

I was actually watching the show with my daughter and explaining to her how funny the prices always seemed. I think it's funny that the guy supposedly bought it for $150 when he could have probably said $25 and gotten it. So not sure if that's another staged moment or not. To just come out and offer $150 for something you know was purchased at a garage sale for a miniscule amount seems odd.

jediblood
03-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Did it actually sell on eBay for that price or was it just listed at that price.

That's one of the misconceptions about eBay...you can list an item for hundreds of dollars, but that doesn't mean it will SELL for that price. And it gives people trying to figure out a value for what they might have some very unrealistic ideas. eBay is what has really ruined just about every facet of collecting

If I remember correctly, it actually sold for that price.

CadBane
03-14-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm going to watch ep. 4 on demand now.

SWDave
03-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Finally watched the last episode. I don't understand all the hate that exists for this show. I find it entertaining and it takes some getting used to the group dynamic of the fellas, but to each their own. I haven't been to a comic shop in a while and I am starting to get the itch again. :grin:

CadBane
03-14-2012, 10:50 PM
​Was there only supposed to be 4 episodes for this?

MrPickles
03-15-2012, 03:19 AM
I still can't figure out what the point of this show is suppose to be. As pointed out much better by others, this bargaining/pricing is so far off it's annoying.

rookie_pilot
03-15-2012, 09:06 AM
​Was there only supposed to be 4 episodes for this?

My understanding is there is 6 episodes total. I think it will end when Walking Dead ends. But I could be wrong. I heard this from Star Wars artist Kevin Liell, who was on the Feb 14 Forcecast podcast talking about his appearances. He said he was in 4 of the 6 episodes. But come to think of it we only saw him once that I can recall. He was the "expert" speaking on the lightsaber hilt a couple episodes back.

CadBane
03-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Ok cool thanks.

jedimom
03-15-2012, 04:28 PM
This Sunday is the season finale

CadBane
03-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I guess the new one didn't pop up on FOD yet.

jedimom
03-16-2012, 02:02 PM
I found there is a companion Podcast to this sho. Look up Smodcast - The Secret Stash and you can hear most of the conversations they have in the show

Also found out in the Jay and Silent Bob Get Old podcast that Mewes was having major dental surgery during the time he filmed his cameo. So that accounts for some of his appearance, etc. on the show. Plus he can't do the painkillers (cause he might get addicted again - which is what happened when he relapsed last time) so he couldn't have been too comfortable

CadBane
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Just saw episode 5. Them showing up to a cancelled convention was pretty stupid and literally screams staged. Other then that ok show.

zhamlau
03-17-2012, 12:25 AM
That's ebay though. People pay thousands of dollars on ebay for pictures of the PS3. The Stash still has to sell that Commando figure. How many people are actually looking for that doll? How many people even knew there was a Commando line?

Z,how's your comic book store doing?

? I dont own a comic book store, I just used to manage them. The last one i was manager at closed back in 2009 about 4 years after i left it. The issue was the lack of...wait a secound, were you making a silly?

CadBane
03-18-2012, 06:55 PM
I noticed a side show Jabba in the back ground during the earlier portion of the zombie episode.