PDA

View Full Version : Why the 'Star Wars' Prequels Are Better Than the Original Trilogy

starwarsfan1977
02-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Thought you guys might like to read this:

Why the 'Star Wars' Prequels Are Better Than the Original Trilogy - Yahoo! Movies (http://movies.yahoo.com/news/why-star-wars-prequels-better-original-trilogy-160300514.html)

Mr_Vader
02-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Sounds like me trying to explain "objet trouvé" to my high school students, I have to teach them the importance and cite examples of its significance, but at the end of the day its just BS and my hearts not in it.

Looks like the guy just wants the shock value of "PT better than OT, how outrageous," have us fan-boys plant it all over FB for him, and enjoy his 15 minutes.

Thanks for the link, looks like I found my lecture for tomorrow.

Joshua_B
02-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Love it when people of this political thinking write their thoughts down on paper.

zhamlau
02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
The comments below it are awesome! They all pretty much eviscerated the guy and his nonsense political partisan rant. The problem being though, episode 1 came out before Bush was president, and episode 2 principle photography was already finished and it was in editing/effects by the time of 9/11. So you cant tied 2/3rds of the movies to his somewhat limited politically motivated world view. No matter what your opinion is politically, factually on no level can his reasoning be supported if he is talking about the entire trilogy....plus, they were poorly written and paced. The directing was static, lot of standing around and non-engagement with the environment. Very little movement that wasn't choreographed fight scenes...the movies sorta sucked....so double fail for the writer.

charlie6127
02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Most of the articles that yahoo puts out are junk, so I wouldn't even waste the time to read it....

CadBane
02-12-2012, 09:18 PM
I might watch this.

DagMarus
02-12-2012, 09:27 PM
I might watch this.
Watch it do what?

pghtorchwood
02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
The prequels are a sad old man's attempt to capture the creative fire of his youth.

RedHarlow
02-13-2012, 01:00 AM
It's nothing new that Yahoo's entertainment sections put out garbage articles.

CadBane
02-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Watch it do what?
Destroy itself

Darth_Sith_Lord
02-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Not Surprised more Rubbish from Yahoo!

LordStarscream
02-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Edit: Disregard.

StarbaseEarth
02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
If you asked kids under the age of 15 I think most would prefer the prequals style and special effects. I many ways the orignial trilogy drags in places and has many weird editing errors (flipped images) especially ROTJ

Skullsplitter
02-15-2012, 03:52 PM
OK I've said this before(Add nauseum) I'm not a fan of the PT but that doesn't make it any more or less relevant to those who do. I do like some EU stuff(Some don't) but the PT just seemed to be missing something to me. Now I have to say I am bias as I grew up with the OT so that in itself says a lot. As far as I'm concerned and this means nothing to anyone but me but hell if someone gets introduced to the larger universe by watching the PT that's great. I think as Star Wars fans/collectors we get enough greif from people we all know(non fans) without infighting. Just because I'm a Boba Fett fan/collector doesn't mean a Darth Maul or Jar Jar collector is any less a fan than me or their collection has any less meaning than mine.
"Can't we all just get along". LOL

Michael_Knight
02-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Sorry to say it but the writer is correct in a lot of ways. There is no way I would ever enjoy the prequels more than the OT but his argument for the prequel's political depth compared to the OT's naivete on such matters is spot on. It's an eerie allegory of a Shadow Goverment (Palpatine) pitting partisan left/right politics (Jedi and Senate) against each other as a distraction while this subversive evil (Palpatine's rise to power) stirs fear in the people (the Republic) by using the media (senate hearings) to fabricate foreign threats (Seperatists) on our freedom. This compels us (the Republic) to submit to bad legislative policy (granting of emergency powers) so that we can fuel the war machine (Clone Army) to quell these threats. This continuous onslaught of bad policy and ongoing wars helps fund a small, elite and exclusive group of Corporations and Government officials (The Empire) so that they have complete control over us (Padme: so this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause). However, I'll stick with the OT where the good guys and bad guys are clearly defined.

MrPickles
02-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Video is filled with the looney gibberish of a bedwetter.

ReddingRedFive
02-16-2012, 01:55 AM
I still think the original trilogy was better. I believe it's a generational devide because my kids prefer the prequels.

StarbaseEarth
02-16-2012, 11:48 AM
The prequels could have used a good scoundrel role

Nihilus
02-16-2012, 10:25 PM
TL;DR

I don't care, I still like the OT better than the PT in every way.

Darth_Engelhast
02-16-2012, 10:58 PM
On the topic of which is better my opinion is that this thread should be relocated to the prequels section.

my_kind_of_scum
02-16-2012, 11:02 PM
The article does make some good points... Not sure it's a complete and concise argument, but there are some good points.

CadBane
02-18-2012, 05:26 PM
I like the prequels for the most part but taking "Realistic world events" and trying to use that as an argument for a film is better is absurd. If your thinking of it in this way then if anything IMO it make it seem like lazy writing by just taking concepts/themes from real life because you can't create your own from a lack of creativity. That is why the aforementioned is unsuccessful in these terms. With that said I like the pt.

MisterNLD
02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this article. All I have to say is that many, MANY people who disagree with this article and refuse to give it any credit are very much biased by nostalgia. How many people have actually examined why the OT is better, instead of just following popular culture's view? Think for yourself! Read the article, don't just disregard it because it goes against the grain.

DagMarus
02-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Did YOU read the article? Because it REALLY doesn't sound like you did. It's not wrong for insinuating that the PT is better, it's wrong for the reasons they list.

MisterNLD
02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
*never mind*

Darth_Engelhast
02-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Why is this thread still in Wuher's Cantina?

CadBane
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Your thread it'll have to go we don't serve it's kind here.

SoonerSean
02-19-2012, 10:25 PM
I threw up in my mouth a little.

DarthCitrix
02-20-2012, 02:19 AM
All Time Domestic Box Office Results (http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm)

TPM has moved into the #4 domestic box office spot, previously held by ANH. They will reverse spots when ANH gets the 3D release.

Darth_Engelhast
02-20-2012, 02:35 AM
All Time Domestic Box Office Results (http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm)

TPM has moved into the #4 domestic box office spot, previously held by ANH. They will reverse spots when ANH gets the 3D release.

....IF ANH gets the 3D release.

SWDave
02-20-2012, 07:58 AM
On the topic of which is better my opinion is that this thread should be relocated to the prequels section.
Exactly! Where nobody goes to have discussions of what constitutes a great trilogy.

SoonerSean
02-20-2012, 09:26 AM

Adjust for inflation and ANH is second only to Gone with the Wind. And its lead over TPM is monstrous.

MysterioMaximus
02-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Adjust for inflation and ANH is second only to Gone with the Wind. And its lead over TPM is monstrous.

Exactly! There's always these huge misconceptions with "Biggest movie ever!" comments.

DarthAndosMan
02-20-2012, 02:49 PM
lolz comparing the OT to the Cold War

MysterioMaximus
02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
lolz comparing the OT to the Cold War

Better yet, saying the prequels are better than the originals. Lolz!

Hello writer, goodbye credibility!

CadBane
02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Just because ot is star wars and cold war had star wars the concept/plan doesn't make them equivalent emkay

DarthAndosMan
02-20-2012, 10:43 PM
If anything the OT is more like WWII with King Arthur swords and sorcery

DarthCitrix
02-21-2012, 01:11 AM

Yes, the adjust for inflation thing will always be a point of discussion, but it's a comforting thought knowing that ANH is well above Titanic and Avatar in that regard.

CadBane
02-21-2012, 08:58 AM
The ot is something scary that we never want to happen in real life but on tv it's cool man