PDA

View Full Version : Cantina Superbowl Ad!

admiral_mamasy
02-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Hahaha, this is pretty hilarious! Enjoy :):

The Dog Strikes Back: 2012 Volkswagen Game Day Commercial - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0-9EYFJ4Clo)

StarWars.com | Volkswagen Returns to the Star Wars Cantina (http://starwars.com/news/volkswagen_cantina_super_bowl_ad.html)

Darth_Engelhast
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
The Cantina one kinda sucks. The jokes are totally cliche and over done in that one.

The Bark Side is pure gold however.

AnthonyP
02-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Pretty funny! I liked it.

RedHarlow
02-04-2012, 03:38 PM
I've seen the Bark Side on TV twice so far, and after the first time it's ridiculously annoying.

Jedi_Eeth_Koth
02-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Cantina one was very cliche, as mentioned.

CadBane
02-04-2012, 06:29 PM
The Cantina one kinda sucks. The jokes are totally cliche and over done in that one.

The Bark Side is pure gold however.
You say cliche I say homage yo.

Jedi_Eeth_Koth
02-05-2012, 12:27 AM
You say cliche I say homage yo.

Homage that's repeated over and over again becomes cliche.

Nihilus
02-05-2012, 10:26 AM
rofl stah wahs

Tig_Fromm
02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
The end of the commercial is pointless and takes away from the main part.

E_CHU_TA
02-05-2012, 01:06 PM
all i know is i saw the tonnika sisters and thats awsome.

ThallJoben
02-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Who knows, maybe with the Tonnika sisters being seen by millions in this ad, that may spur Hasbro to finally make the long-demanded/wanted figures of them for us fans/collectors :D

CadBane
02-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Homage that's repeated over and over again becomes cliche.
Isn't life cliche? Everybody wants money everybody wants money and then everybody dies.

Ashy_Larry
02-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I take comfort in knowing Walrus Man survived his encounter with the over zealous Jedi.

Maybe next year we'll see a commercial that shows a post Sarlacc Fett?

StarbaseEarth
02-06-2012, 02:10 PM
I thought it was decent, always good to see Star Wars out infront of the General Public in a Positive light.

CadBane
02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I take comfort in knowing Walrus Man survived his encounter with the over zealous Jedi.

Maybe next year we'll see a commercial that shows a post Sarlacc Fett?
How do you know this is post obi chainsaw massacre?

GNT
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Who knows, maybe with the Tonnika sisters being seen by millions in this ad, that may spur Hasbro to finally make the long-demanded/wanted figures of them for us fans/collectors :D

It might be the loop hole that we've been waiting to see.

HaloHawk87
02-06-2012, 03:40 PM
I liked it, but it was too short.

Ashy_Larry
02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
How do you know this is post obi chainsaw massacre?

The Dog Strikes Back: 2012 Volkswagen Game Day Commercial - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9EYFJ4Clo)

right around the :53 second mark.

DRUMI33
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
The Dog Strikes Back: 2012 Volkswagen Game Day Commercial - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9EYFJ4Clo)

right around the :53 second mark.

Wow nice catch, that was amazing to see, alcohol will always numb the pain.

EmperorPalpitate
02-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Never thought I'd say this about something OT-related: That was dumb.

deathstar1000
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
It might be the loop hole that we've been waiting to see.

What's the deal with the sisters???

macross7
02-07-2012, 01:48 AM
What's the deal with the sisters???
Legal mumbo jumbo dealing with likeness rights. I'm also betting Hasbro knows they will rival Yarna in their pegwarming ability so they don't want to make them.

Darth_Engelhast
02-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Legal mumbo jumbo dealing with likeness rights. I'm also betting Hasbro knows they will rival Yarna in their pegwarming ability so they don't want to make them.

they can warm my peg any day. :wub:

CadBane
02-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Yarns didn't sell because let's face it people don't like fat people. I say this as someone who used to be overweight in middle school and teased beyond your imagination. Also and this is our culture not me but being a woman and overweight appears to be twice as bad. Again the value of our culture and not me.

ThallJoben
02-07-2012, 09:57 AM

Yeah, I don't know if we've ever heard anything definitive from Hasbro regarding the Tonnikas. There was a thread on this website some time ago that went into great detail regarding the reasons as to why these figures haven't been made (i.e., the likeness issues stated above), but IMHO a lot of this may have been speculation.

If someone could post a link to this thread, I'd appreciate it; from what I can recall, this was locked some time ago and is a couple of years old.

This may just be me, but I don't think a Tonnika Sisters two-pack would pegwarm; maybe it could work best as an exclusive?! Even though they were only seen for a couple of seconds in the Cantina (ANH), IMHO they are still recognizable to even non-fans of the films (i.e. their inclusion in this recent Superbowl commercial).

And, IMHO any ANH cantina diorama is not complete without them.

GNT
02-07-2012, 04:08 PM
If someone could post a link to this thread, I'd appreciate it; from what I can recall, this was locked some time ago and is a couple of years old

That'll be the Tonnika Sisters toy thread, it should be in the Vintage Collection toy section.

Yarns didn't sell because let's face it people don't like fat people.

True that larger women toys with 6 breasts are harder to market to parents who are buying for their kids, the main reason why Yarna pegwarmed was because she was shipped in the first wave which was over produced and had she been in a later wave she wouldn't have pegwarmed so badly. It was a poor decision by Hasbro.

Darth_Engelhast
02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Yarns didn't sell because let's face it people don't like fat people. I say this as someone who used to be overweight in middle school and teased beyond your imagination. Also and this is our culture not me but being a woman and overweight appears to be twice as bad. Again the value of our culture and not me.

Fine with me because I'm a Yarna army builder.

CadBane
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Pictures please?

admiral_mamasy
02-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Yarns didn't sell because let's face it people don't like fat people.

Correction. Peter Griffin.

Ashy_Larry
02-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Wow nice catch, that was amazing to see, alcohol will always numb the pain.

I didn't notice the first time i saw it either. I was curious to see who or what was in the background, so i went on youtube and paused it.

mousedroid
02-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Wow, Star Wars fans can be really jaded.

Blight
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm so tired of star wars parodies and Vader appearing in commercials. It makes me sick

macross7
02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
This may just be me, but I don't think a Tonnika Sisters two-pack would pegwarm; maybe it could work best as an exclusive?! Even though they were only seen for a couple of seconds in the Cantina (ANH), IMHO they are still recognizable to even non-fans of the films (i.e. their inclusion in this recent Superbowl commercial).
The only way they won't warm the pegs if they were an exclusive and had such a low production run that Hasbro probably wouldn't bother.

I doubt non-fans would recognize them outside of the film setting. Take a photo of them not in the cantina and show it to random people on the street. Outside of a SW fan, I don't think anyone would know them. Its not just them, many of the creatures wouldn't be recognized either. Greedo, Hammerhead, Walrusman and Band members are the ones people might recognize. Has to either have decent screentime or just an unique design. As for the commercial, if they went into that much detail to recreate the cantina, its not surprising they were there.

CadBane
02-08-2012, 08:53 PM
I never thought I would see the cantina in a Super Bowl commercial. This was awesome I mean come on. Next year lets get the Sarlacc pit. There are even Star Wars fans who don't appreciate the cantina do this is a big deal vader wears in there do the average person knew oh ok that's star wars.

Strikefoil
02-08-2012, 10:04 PM
I thought it was funny.

Mofo_Jones
02-10-2012, 12:08 PM
I thought the VW commercial was two ideas that should have been separate commercials. Plus, I've seen better SW costumes in fan-made films.

CadBane
02-10-2012, 05:34 PM
I thought the costumes were pretty good, evazans make up could have been better.

Darth_Engelhast
02-10-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm so tired of star wars parodies and Vader appearing in commercials. It makes me sick

I actually kinda agree with Blight for a change.

MrPickles
02-12-2012, 02:22 PM

Yeah, sometimes I wish it would all go away for awhile. Seems like overkill again, which is a Lucasfilm staple. Just off the top of my head TV promotion-wise I can think of VW, Brisk, Episode I 3D, Redtails, CW's Maul's return :sigh:....