PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the first Empire Strikes Back figure will be?

Glitch
12-28-2011, 12:05 AM
No, I'm not talking about the ESB carded Fett or Stormtrooper, but rather the first all new ESB figure.

My guess would be either Bossk (the preview ESB mail away) or Bespin Luke. The Hoth Stormtrooper would also be a sound pick.

What do you think it will be?

Kevin_Lentz
12-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I hope they continue the line into ESB. I can't imagine them doing all the ESB figures, but one can hope. The three you mention are good contenders. If I were they, I would also see characters such as IG-88, Yoda, Bespin Leia, Lando, & Ugnaught as viable sellers. Hope they squeeze Luke X-Wing in there, if not the rest of the SW droids.

Jay_the_Lesser
12-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Betting the first (aside from Stormie and Fett already) will be Brown Snake Yoda, C6 Exclusive.

Jedi534
12-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Yoda (The Jedi Master) :)

Obi_Han
01-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Have they been selling well enough that we expect the line to continue?

Glitch
01-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Have they been selling well enough that we expect the line to continue?

If it's worth anything, they've been largely selling out on the GG website. Considering the low cost of vinyl figures to produce, the limited paint apps, and the high price of these figures, I don't see them simply fading away.

I'm just curious to see if they will give us obscure SW figures like the Power Droid and the Death Star Droid before they move on to Empire.

POTAFAN
01-02-2012, 04:29 AM
It seems they want to work their way through the entire line. But I kind of wish they would stop following the release order of the original figures and skip to the popular ones. I really would like to get the Imperial Commander, TIE Fighter Pilot, and Imperial Gunner.

Let's not forget though, once they get to the Jedi line with cloth clothing, I think there will be a pretty significant increase in the cost of these figures.

Yoda will probably be coming up soon, even though he wasn't actually released until the second set of TESB figures originally. But if they released Boba Fett as early as they did, it makes sense to see them push Yoda. As far as the first TESB figures for general release, I'll go with Lando Calrissian and Snowtrooper.

AaylaSecurasMan
01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
No, I'm not talking about the ESB carded Fett or Stormtrooper, but rather the first all new ESB figure.

My guess would be either Bossk (the preview ESB mail away) or Bespin Luke. The Hoth Stormtrooper would also be a sound pick.

What do you think it will be?

My bet would be Bespin Luke, I'd get him in a heartbeat :)

Nerfherder
01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Bossk would be my guess as he's the first ESB figure to be released. He was the 'Secret Figure'

I would love to have an IG-88, but not many others besides Yoda.

BlueSnaggletooth
01-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Bossk or Yoda.

-Snags

Tweekem
01-12-2012, 01:10 PM
My $$$ is on it being Yoda... kind of a no brainer to me... brown snake variant to boot.

plasticlab
01-12-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm thinking Bossk then Yoda.

jedimasterc
01-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I would love to see the AT-AT drive myself.

Tweekem
01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Just curious.. why Bossk first? Unless you are saying the he is what YOU would want to see first... In a business point of view.. Yoda is heads up the first choice a company would make IMO.. tons of selling power and again an Iconic character. Dont get me wrong.. Im a Bossk fan and always have been. I would think Yoda because of what they went through to keep the character a secret, again...the huge amount of selling power Yoda carries and him being so Iconic.

Jedi534
01-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Just curious.. why Bossk first? Unless you are saying the he is what YOU would want to see first... In a business point of view.. Yoda is heads up the first choice a company would make IMO.. tons of selling power and again an Iconic character. Dont get me wrong.. Im a Bossk fan and always have been. I would think Yoda because of what they went through to keep the character a secret, again...the huge amount of selling power Yoda carries and him being so Iconic.
Because Bossk was technically the first ESB figure to be released through a "Secret Star Wars Action Figure" Offer. Yoda was originally the 11th ESB figure to be released but I agree, he should be the first ESB Jumbo.

Mail-away Offers: Bossk Action Figure (http://theswca.com/images-speci/mailaways/bossk.html)

Tweekem
01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Huh.. never knew that... Thanks for educating me... it would make sense now that I know that.. but I still think GG will go with Yoda... Either way I would get both no matter which came first as I love the Bounty Hunters and Yoda.. some of my Fave characters.

PS... mabey I should read the entire thread.. I would have seen the other post about Bossk being the 1st released... heh.. oops

DarthChristopher
01-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I personally would love to see Gentle Giant make all the following from Empire Strikes Back, which have never been made in 12" scale by any company:

2-1B
FX-7
Leia Organa (Bespin Gown)

I will definitely buy all the above, so please GG make these! :) And I cannot wait to get 12" Death Star Droid and Power Droid, along with all the Cantina figures, especially Blue Snaggletooth! For me, this line is sort of picking up where Kenner left off with their vintage 12" Large Size Action Figures.

MrPickles
01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Yoda (The Jedi Master) :)
That's my guess too.

GNT
01-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Yoda and IG-88 would be the top 2 picks.

Ty
01-18-2012, 09:46 PM
I may eat my words, but I highly doubt we'll ever see a 12" Lobot, CCP or Bespin Guard. Automatically Yoda and Bossk came to mind, but there's lots of good choices out there.. Honestly, I can't wait for ROTJ figures to start showing up if this line can get that far.. Luke Jedi, Lando Skiff, Squid Head, Ree Yees, Bib Fortuna, Klaatu.. I'd be all over 'em!

Kevin_Lentz
01-19-2012, 06:42 AM
I may eat my words, but I highly doubt we'll ever see a 12" Lobot, CCP or Bespin Guard. Automatically Yoda and Bossk came to mind, but there's lots of good choices out there.. Honestly, I can't wait for ROTJ figures to start showing up if this line can get that far.. Luke Jedi, Lando Skiff, Squid Head, Ree Yees, Bib Fortuna, Klaatu.. I'd be all over 'em!

I suspect a lot of the Jabba aliens may be right down there with the Bespin humans in sales potential. I can see them doing pretty much all the Lukes, Hans, and Leias from the line, and high-profile aliens like Yak Face and Bib Fortuna. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see them all, but it's hard to imagine vintage pegwarmers selling well in this format.

jimmii
01-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Bossk or Yoda.

-Snags

Hopefully Blue Snaggletooth! If not, I would like yoda, bossk, Hoth trooper or skip to Ackbar, Boushh Leia, Lando Skiff disguise, and biker scout.

jimmii
01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Now that I think about it, CVI has a yoda theme, so maybe they will release him there?

Tweekem
01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
They would prob do the Orange Snake Yoda for the first release and the Brown snake version for the Celebration Exclusive.

Jay_the_Lesser
02-01-2012, 12:10 PM
They would prob do the Orange Snake Yoda for the first release and the Brown snake version for the Celebration Exclusive.

I'm betting on this being the C6 Exclusive also. Can't go wrong.

BlueSnag
02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm betting on this being the C6 Exclusive also. Can't go wrong.

Definitely, agree that Yoda will be next -

There is a picture in the General Discussion for this line, which shows some of the already released figures & the vintage 3 /34 of some others. Interestingly, the 3 3/4 Gammorean Guard was shown in the picture (now being released with PGM)

As far as ESB 3 3/4 figures in the picture there was the following:

Yoda
AT-AT Driver
Bossk

I'd make a bet those are next

draven29
02-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Luke X-Wing Pilot was ESB, right? Just caught it a few NY Toy Fair pics of the Diamond booth.

Kevin_Lentz
02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Luke X-Wing Pilot was ESB, right? Just caught it a few NY Toy Fair pics of the Diamond booth.

Luke X-Wing debuted on a Star Wars logo card (20 back).

Tweekem
02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Well... with the new info on the Gammorean Guard it looks to me that after the first series is done they might just bring out random figs frm random movies... was really hoping they would continue they order they were released at retail... oh well... dont know if I would really like myself if I got every single one of these figs... assuming they even make all of them.

Shabby_Blue
04-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, the Gamorrean Guard proves that it'll be totally random from here on once they are done with the first 21. As for ESB, I agree that Yoda seems most likely to be the first one, and maybe Bespin Luke as the 2nd ESB figure. Remember that Yoda came with the blue backpack accessory, so it seems logical that they'll get Bespin Luke out soon after so that we can potentially display Yoda on his back. :)

Beyond that, I think the only other ESB figures we'll get are the main characters, Lando, and the rest of the bounty hunters. Probably the other Imperial troops too... definitely the Snowtrooper and TIE Pilot, and maybe even the AT-AT Driver since he shares some of the same tooling as the TIE Pilot and would be a cheap one for them to offer.

It's all dependent on continued demand though. I just can't see them releasing the Bespin Security Guards, or the Cloud Car Pilot, or Lobot, or any other less significant background characters. It'll be real interesting to see where this line goes in 2013 onward since it's clear by now that they'll finish the original 21 vintage figures by the end of 2012. Personally I hope we get Yakface sooner rather than later, and on a big beautiful POTF-style cardback. :)

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
04-16-2012, 12:22 AM
I've got a vintage carded original scale Yoda. He didn't come with the blue backpack for Luke to carry him in. I think that was part of the survival pack that was a mail in offer if I'm correct. It also had gasmasks, a grappling hook and other such items.

Shabby_Blue
04-16-2012, 01:24 AM
You're right. I was misremembering where the blue backpack came from.

John_Solo
04-16-2012, 11:29 AM
kenner star wars survival kit - Bing Videos (http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kenner+star+wars+survival+kit&mid=0D232B8EBA4E411FC6CE0D232B8EBA4E411FC6CE&view=detail&FORM=VIRE3)

efranks
04-17-2012, 02:24 AM
Yeah, the Gamorrean Guard proves that it'll be totally random from here on once they are done with the first 21. As for ESB, I agree that Yoda seems most likely to be the first one, and maybe Bespin Luke as the 2nd ESB figure. Remember that Yoda came with the blue backpack accessory, so it seems logical that they'll get Bespin Luke out soon after so that we can potentially display Yoda on his back. :)

Beyond that, I think the only other ESB figures we'll get are the main characters, Lando, and the rest of the bounty hunters. Probably the other Imperial troops too... definitely the Snowtrooper and TIE Pilot, and maybe even the AT-AT Driver since he shares some of the same tooling as the TIE Pilot and would be a cheap one for them to offer.

It's all dependent on continued demand though. I just can't see them releasing the Bespin Security Guards, or the Cloud Car Pilot, or Lobot, or any other less significant background characters. It'll be real interesting to see where this line goes in 2013 onward since it's clear by now that they'll finish the original 21 vintage figures by the end of 2012. Personally I hope we get Yakface sooner rather than later, and on a big beautiful POTF-style cardback. :)

You had a couple things wrong with your post and I disagree with most of the rest of it. It was already pointed out that Yoda didn't come with the backpack and it's also incorrect that the AT-AT Driver and TIE Pilot shared any tooling. They're completely different figures.

I also wouldn't consider Lobot, specifically, a lesser character than Walrusman, Hammerhead or even Snaggletooth. To dismiss him along with the other two figures while believing Yak Face should be done doesn't make any sense to me, especially when you remember that Yak Face wasn't even sold in the US by Kenner. Besides, doing both Bespin Guards would allow GG to do a PGM or show exclusive chase if they wanted to.

Outside the main characters, I'd give a pretty equal shot to everything else as long as there are continued sales.

E...

BlueSnag
04-17-2012, 08:03 AM
You had a couple things wrong with your post and I disagree with most of the rest of it. It was already pointed out that Yoda didn't come with the backpack and it's also incorrect that the AT-AT Driver and TIE Pilot shared any tooling. They're completely different figures.

I also wouldn't consider Lobot, specifically, a lesser character than Walrusman, Hammerhead or even Snaggletooth. To dismiss him along with the other two figures while believing Yak Face should be done doesn't make any sense to me, especially when you remember that Yak Face wasn't even sold in the US by Kenner. Besides, doing both Bespin Guards would allow GG to do a PGM or show exclusive chase if they wanted to.

Outside the main characters, I'd give a pretty equal shot to everything else as long as there are continued sales.

E...

I think the difference with the Cantina Creatures is that there is a segment of the market that collects those aliens simliar to those who only collect droids or jabba deniziens for that matter, so those figures will always sell

I doubt that a Cloud Car Pilot or Lobot would sell particularly well, so I am curious to how GG will handle

Having said that, I plan on picking up every figure they decide to make

John_Solo
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I think the difference with the Cantina Creatures is that there is a segment of the market that collects those aliens simliar to those who only collect droids or jabba deniziens for that matter, so those figures will always sell

I doubt that a Cloud Car Pilot or Lobot would sell particularly well, so I am curious to how GG will handle

Having said that, I plan on picking up every figure they decide to make

If they do the entire run, that's like a $10K commitment. Epic.

I sure hope they do POTF stuff. Luke Stormtrooper would be the bees knees.

bigbarada
04-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Bossk and a TIE Fighter Pilot would be the ones I'd be most interested in from ESB. Yoda seems like a no-brainer also; but I doubt I would buy him. This has been a nice line to watch as it progresses, but I haven't felt compelled to buy any of them yet until GG revealed the images of the Gamorrean Guard.

Anyways, after reading this thread, I'm kind of surprised by all the misinformation floating around out there about the vintage figures.

Shabby_Blue
04-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Besides, doing both Bespin Guards would allow GG to do a PGM or show exclusive chase if they wanted to.

E...

Perhaps, but the Bespin Guards are also unique sculpts. Not so simple as putting a different head on one. :)

The only way I see GG really going long term and producing all 93 figures is by severely reducing the production numbers and/or increasing the price on some of the less desirable figures such as the Cloud Car Pilot and Bespin Guard. Maybe a run of 500 or so per figure, like they did with the small head Han Solo variant. I've been a completist so far, but I definitely don't want all 93. It would be ridiculously expensive and I just don't have the room for it. I'm just hoping for the main characters and a few cool iconic ones such as Yak Face. I'm surprised anyone would balk at getting him. It was one of their better sculpts back then, and the rarity of the original figure justifies getting a 12" scale version of him too, just like getting the blue Snaggletooth.

BlueSnag
04-18-2012, 07:48 AM
I really doubt they are putting out the entire line

Probably stick with Cantina Creatures, Jabba Deniziens, Droids, & Bounty Hunters, Imperials, and main characters

If you look at who they have produced in the mini bust line, this seems to be the model they are using

I believe Sideshow uses this marketing model as well

I dont thing characters like Cloud Car Pilot, Hoth Soldier, Lobot, etc will see the light of day in this line

John_Solo
04-18-2012, 11:46 AM
I REALLY want a Han Solo in Hoth Outfit. I think that fig would look great blown up.

efranks
04-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Perhaps, but the Bespin Guards are also unique sculpts. Not so simple as putting a different head on one.

I never said they were the same, only that they could do both. It would be like a red Snaggletooth regular release and blue Snag for Celebration or SDCC.

If you want to start grouping characters where do you draw lines? Would a group of Imperials include the Dignitary or AT-AT Commander? And, if so, what would make a boring old guy like the Dignitary more interesting than a potential army builder like a Rebel Soldier or Rebel Commando or AT-ST Driver? For Imperials would you say armor only and then leave out the Imperial Commander?

The original 12 figures hold a certain weight as do the first 20 for various reasons, but why not the first 32 which breaks you into The Empire Strikes Back but also includes the Bespin Guard and Rebel Soldier mentioned.

The problem with arbitrary groupings is that you can set them any way you want to validate your own argument. That's why I said once you get beyond the main characters they have an equal shot of being done. I mean, Death Star Droid? How is that a better or worse choice than, say, the Ugnaught? Because it's one of the first 20 characters? I could break up the vintage line in a couple of ways, and each would probably leave out characters that some here think are a must-have. I think the AT-AT Driver is a must, but some could think the Snowtrooper is all we need from Hoth for various reasons.

In my opinion, if the sales are there on the minor characters like the DSD or Snaggletooth, why wouldn't GG do a Cloud Car Pilot or AT-ST Driver?

E...

Edit to say that when I mention army builders, I didn't necessarily mean that people are going to actually army build this line, but troops, or army builders, have their fan base just like droids or cantina patrons.

BlueSnag
04-19-2012, 07:43 AM
E -

In terms of the Dignitary, he generates alittle more interest b/c of the last 17 factor (although I wonder how they would handle the POTF Coin aspect)

Like I said, I would LOVE for them to make the entire line as I plan on purchasing whatever is produced

Having said that, there is a reason why even Hasbro has only made Lobot once or twice since 1995

I know there is a fan base for army builders, but I couldn't imagine anyone who will army build this line with endor troopers or hoth soldiers, so I wouldnt think that fan base would be applicable to this line (could be wrong though)

Also, when you look at the mini busts Gentle Giant has produced, I don't see a Cloud Car Pilot, Lobot, Endor Soldier, Hoth Soldier, etc - so knowing that & the fact that they jumped to the Gammy, would lead me to believe they would follow the same model

Also, if you look at the general thread for this line, someone posted a picture way bakc of GG staff with the protos for this line along with some of the vintage figures

Aside from who they already produced, the vintage figures consisted of Bossk, Yoda, Blue Snag, AT AT Driver, Yak Face - I think that kind of says something

Mr_Bwing
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Was Yak Face in that GG staff photo? I didn't think he was. Though I really hope he makes the cut.

E -

In terms of the Dignitary, he generates alittle more interest b/c of the last 17 factor (although I wonder how they would handle the POTF Coin aspect)

Like I said, I would LOVE for them to make the entire line as I plan on purchasing whatever is produced

Having said that, there is a reason why even Hasbro has only made Lobot once or twice since 1995

I know there is a fan base for army builders, but I couldn't imagine anyone who will army build this line with endor troopers or hoth soldiers, so I wouldnt think that fan base would be applicable to this line (could be wrong though)

Also, when you look at the mini busts Gentle Giant has produced, I don't see a Cloud Car Pilot, Lobot, Endor Soldier, Hoth Soldier, etc - so knowing that & the fact that they jumped to the Gammy, would lead me to believe they would follow the same model

Also, if you look at the general thread for this line, someone posted a picture way bakc of GG staff with the protos for this line along with some of the vintage figures

Aside from who they already produced, the vintage figures consisted of Bossk, Yoda, Blue Snag, AT AT Driver, Yak Face - I think that kind of says something

efranks
04-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I think Yak Face is a given. There's so much mystery around that Kenner figure plus he's one of the cooler looking aliens, I think GG would be misssing out on a hit if they skipped him for some reason.

There are definitely choices that are more exciting than others when it comes to the OT characters, specifically what Kenner released, and I don't necessarily disagree that characters like the Cloud Car Pilot or Lobot or Madine would be lower down the list for this line. But keep in mind that the entire vintage Kenner line has a special standing for a lot of collectors and that could mean sales for even the 2nd or 3rd tier figures.

I'd actually take a Prune Face or Rebel Commando before a Dignitary or Imperial Officer, but that's just me. I do agree that it seems that the vintage figures shown in that photo are a roadmap for where GG is headed with the line and, yes, the AT-AT Driver was pictured. Believe me, I'm insanely happy about that. And my next most wanted character behind that is probably Yoda.

E...

BlueSnag
04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Mr B -

I stand corrected as Yak Face was not pictured (wishful thinking I guess :grin:)

E -

Bold choice: Prune Face or Rebel Commando over Imperials, how dare? To each there own I guess

Agreed that vintage line has a special standing, but like you said in an earlier post I'd think they would have to lower production #s for some

dylbacca
04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
I love that people are saying bossk, mostly because he is my favorite vintage figure, (him and blue snag) and i would definitely buy big bossk.

Glitch
05-11-2012, 11:49 PM
So, it appears the answer to this question is "Yoda."

If you guessed Yoda - you win!!!!

....the opportunity to order him.

:)

Shabby_Blue
05-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Except the surprise was that he's NOT a convention exclusive.... which opens the possibility of C6 getting something else instead.

I think it's still a safe bet that SDCC gets Blue Snaggletooth though.