PDA

View Full Version : "Alcatraz" on FOX

Captain_Piet
12-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Anyone else pumped to check out J.J. Abrams' new prison-island themed series beginning in January?

LordStarscream
12-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Abrams and Sam Neill are involved, so I'm at least interested enough to check it out. Otherwise I'm clueless about the show, but I will be giving it a chance.

Turbowars
12-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Looks good, but I dont need to get involved in another show.

GNT
12-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Haven't seen or heard about it before this thread but with Abrams on board this show will be good.

Mildoo
12-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Haven't seen or heard about it before this thread but with Abrams on board this show will be good.

Aren't you forgetting about Undercovers last year? That show blowed.

Captain_Piet
12-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Abrams and Sam Neill are involved, so I'm at least interested enough to check it out. Otherwise I'm clueless about the show, but I will be giving it a chance.

Well, if you'd like to find out more, the guys from PhGeek.com and I will be podcasting about the show each week once it begins airing. We just put up our initial preview episode at The ALCATRAZ Podcast by PhGeek.com (http://alcatraz.podbean.com/), which can also be found on iTunes by searching for Alcatraz Podcast by PhGeek.com.

CadBane
12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Saw this trailer looked interesting.

GNT
12-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Aren't you forgetting about Undercovers last year? That show blowed.

I don't think that one aired here.

Captain_Piet
12-06-2011, 06:23 AM
We have a date now for the two-hour premiere: Mon., Jan. 16.

Masterfett
12-08-2011, 11:20 PM
The previews have peeked my interest especially with Sam Neill attached, don't know what it's really about yet though.

Captain_Piet
12-09-2011, 06:27 AM
So the girlfriend of Jorge Garcia's (Hurley from "LOST") listened to our podcast previewing the show and let's just say there was some misinterpretation. She even tweeted about it. Thanks!

Captain_Piet
01-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Recorded our third and final preview podcast leading up to the Jan. 16 two-hour premiere. Then Jorge Garcia's girlfriend brought us up again on a talk show tonight.

GarvenDreis
01-11-2012, 05:06 PM
I had to have seen this advertised at least 5 times while watching a movie. It does seem somewhat interesting but I'm going to have to find out what the whole premise of the series is to see if it's something I'd even watch.

Captain_Piet
01-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah, the promotion machine is in full spin. Looking forward to the two-hour premiere Monday night.

GarvenDreis
01-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Yeah, the promotion machine is in full spin. Looking forward to the two-hour premiere Monday night.
For someone like me two hours can be a lot to spare for a TV Show I don't even know if I'll like.

Could you give me a run down on what it's about? If it's going to be some odd supernatural portal that explains the mass disappearance or something a long those lines I'm not sure if I'd really enjoy it that much. I'm just too much of sucker for Alcatraz stuff. :stupid:

Captain_Piet
01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Well, I've not seen the pilot (there are folks who have), but my understanding is that one episode at a time a new person pops up from the 302 who went missing at Alcatraz. They've been coy on how they're arriving. We're actually writing what we believe to be the final episode of the show (hopefully years from now) on PhGeek.com (http://www.phgeek.com/) this week.

HaloHawk87
01-12-2012, 09:25 PM
This show looks like it could be good. The main reason I plan on watching it is because two actors from Heroes (my favorite show of all-time) are on it, Robert Forster and Santiago Cabrera, and Sam Neill is from Jurassic Park, one of my favorite movie franchises. I haven't been a fan of JJ Abrams work so far, so I'm cautiously optimistic. The only JJ Abrams project that I've ever seen is Star Trek, which I thought was terrible.

Captain_Piet
01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
This show looks like it could be good. The main reason I plan on watching it is because two actors from Heroes (my favorite show of all-time) are on it, Robert Forster and Santiago Cabrera, and Sam Neill is from Jurassic Park, one of my favorite movie franchises. I haven't been a fan of JJ Abrams work so far, so I'm cautiously optimistic. The only JJ Abrams project that I've ever seen is Star Trek, which I thought was terrible.

As a fan of "Jurassic Park," you really ought to give "LOST" a shot.

HaloHawk87
01-12-2012, 10:16 PM
As a fan of "Jurassic Park," you really ought to give "LOST" a shot.

I considered it once, but it would take me a decade to get through the whole series.

Btw, I like your Alcatraz podcast.

Captain_Piet
01-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I considered it once, but it would take me a decade to get through the whole series.

Btw, I like your Alcatraz podcast.

Thank you very much.
"LOST" was only six seasons and, once hooked, I guarantee you would move through it a lot quicker than a decade.

Strikefoil
01-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I hope this does good as lost did.

Captain_Piet
01-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, a little over a day until the big two-hour premiere. We will be liveblogging at Ph.Geek: Know-stradamus: ALCATRAZ Edition (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/2012/01/know-stradamus-alcatraz-edition.html) and could see some special guests drop by. Please feel free to drop by to enhance the experience.

CadBane
01-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I just saw this trailer on tv? How are the criminals coming back?

HaloHawk87
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
I just saw this trailer on tv? How are the criminals coming back?

You have to watch to find out.

The previews on FOX's Youtube page are making me even more excited for the premiere tomorrow.

reeseslover
01-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Can't wait, looks really good

StarbaseEarth
01-16-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm hoping this turns out better than Lost or Fringe

Captain_Piet
01-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Critical buzz has been really positive. Let's hope for a "LOST" or "Fringe."
We'll be Liveblogging the two-hour premiere tonight beginning at 7:45 EST at Ph.Geek (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/). If you're looking for a primer ahead of time or answers afterward, check out the Alcatraz Podcast by PhGeek.com (http://alcatraz.podbean.com/).
Anyway, thanks and enjoy the show! Look forward to talking reaction and theories real soon.

Mildoo
01-17-2012, 01:13 AM
I enjoyed the pilot so I guess I will continue to watch.

Captain_Piet
01-17-2012, 06:39 AM
You watched the second hour too, right? The first hour was only considered the pilot.

StarbaseEarth
01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Both of Last Nights episodes were good, I'll watch it next week to see if quality continues

Mildoo
01-17-2012, 08:33 PM
You watched the second hour too, right? The first hour was only considered the pilot.

Yeah, I did, I just thought the whole thing was the pilot.

HaloHawk87
01-17-2012, 11:35 PM
I thought the series premiere was great. I can't wait to see more. The ending was surprising.

Captain_Piet
01-18-2012, 07:25 PM
The end of both episodes was surprising. We think the show will have legs. First podcast about an episode and fourth overall is now available on iTunes, The ALCATRAZ Podcast by PhGeek.com (http://alcatraz.podbean.com/) and www.phgeek.com (http://www.phgeek.com). We've gotten tremendous fan and cast support so far. Get locked up by this exciting new thriller.

Masterfett
01-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Tried to watch his but couldn't get into it, guess I didn't really understand the premise.

Captain_Piet
01-23-2012, 07:50 PM
New episode tonight. Looking forward to getting more of a glimpse into this new world.

HaloHawk87
01-24-2012, 12:19 AM
I thought the new episode was just okay. I didn't like the new villain at all. The ending with the doctor was better than last week's.

Jorge Garcia on his podcast said that Greg Grunberg was in the series premiere. He can be seen in the background in the prison. I haven't checked to see if it's true or not. If it's true, then that's three actors from Heroes that are on this show.

Captain_Piet
01-24-2012, 06:42 AM
I don't think we're necessary supposed to like the villain or "63" each week. Who are other actors from Heroes?
Podcasting today. Fifth episode available soon.

HaloHawk87
01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Who are other actors from Heroes?

Robert Forster (Ray Archer) and Santiago Cabrera (Jimmy ****ens). They were Arthur Petrelli and Isaac Mendez on Heroes.

BIGJIM
01-24-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm not sold on this show yet but my wife is, that means I watch it too. Hopefully it will get better once they get into the whole "how did this happen" sort of thing. Strange that the doctor and the Asian girl have not aged either.
One thing that's really getting tiresome though is the whole "the poor prisoners getting picked on by the mean jailers" angle. Gotta love how the bleeding heat liberals in Hollywood just have to throw their claws in everything and try to lecture us evey chance they get.

Captain_Piet
01-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Well, we think that there may have been some revision to this episode in light of the subject matter and the whole Penn State thing as it lensed this fall. It's just one of the items we discuss in our brand-new episode of The Alcatraz Podcast by PhGeek.com, now available on iTunes and at The ALCATRAZ Podcast by PhGeek.com (http://alcatraz.podbean.com/)

Captain_Piet
01-30-2012, 07:48 PM
New episode tonight. Who's watching?

BIGJIM
01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Me.

<ten characters>

Mildoo
01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I will, I've enjoyed the last few episodes.

BIGJIM
01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
I didn't but my wife likes it, that means I'll watch it.

HaloHawk87
01-31-2012, 10:11 PM
I thought the new episode was great. The villain was a lot better than the last one. It had another great cliffhanger. Are we to assume that the door that requires three keys is where they go to time travel?

BIGJIM
02-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Are we to assume that the door that requires three keys is where they go to time travel?

If they open that door and behind it is a big frozen ship's wheel that when turned sends them to the middle of the desert, I'm out.

Rod
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I watched part of the 1st episode.....prob why I didn't quite get it. Is there any kind of site with a synopsis of the 1st few episodes?

Mildoo
02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
You could try wikipedia or maybe imdb. I think fox has all the episodes up on hulu or their own site.

StarbaseEarth
02-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Monday nights episode was good but the show will get old with the catch one a week storylines, I hope the subplot opens up soon.

Mildoo
02-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I doubt it'll be like that forever. It's most likely like this because it is attempting to create a viewership before becoming more serialized like Fringe did.

Rod
02-03-2012, 02:50 PM
You could try wikipedia or maybe imdb. I think fox has all the episodes up on hulu or their own site.

I tried wiki and imdb. I'll try their site or hulu. Thanks

Captain_Piet
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Some news: March 26 is date for the finale. Tangentially, the actor who plays the warden is now following us on Twitter.

HaloHawk87
02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Some news: March 26 is date for the finale. Tangentially, the actor who plays the warden is now following us on Twitter.

He's following me on Twitter too. So is Sam Neill.

Captain_Piet
02-06-2012, 07:45 PM
New episode tonight. Our first guard: Hoyt from "True Blood."
What should fans of "Alcatraz" be called? Our poll (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/2012/02/oh-my-name-debate.html) has a choice between Alc-ies, Trazzers or Rockies.

WarCry
02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
If you have any sort of hold on the ear of those making the show, please ask them to refer to the part of the gun that holds the bullets as a "magazine", not a clip. It's going to have gun-folks screaming out loud. :)

I'm enjoying the series so far. I don't mind the "chase of the week" stuff, as long as they do keep working the overall story at the same time. Lost lost me after the second season because it didn't GO anywhere, at least not discernibly. I don't mind mystery, but there has to be some hope for pay-off.

Captain_Piet
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
If you have any sort of hold on the ear of those making the show, please ask them to refer to the part of the gun that holds the bullets as a "magazine", not a clip. It's going to have gun-folks screaming out loud. :)

I'm enjoying the series so far. I don't mind the "chase of the week" stuff, as long as they do keep working the overall story at the same time. Lost lost me after the second season because it didn't GO anywhere, at least not discernibly. I don't mind mystery, but there has to be some hope for pay-off.

Will do.
The producers want to procedural angle but are content to have the larger mythology, ala Fringe. It's the show's DNA.

HaloHawk87
02-07-2012, 01:10 AM
New episode tonight. Our first guard: Hoyt from "True Blood."
What should fans of "Alcatraz" be called? Our poll (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/2012/02/oh-my-name-debate.html) has a choice between Alc-ies, Trazzers or Rockies.

I like Rockies the most out of the three.

The new episode was great. It's the best episode of the season so far. We found out a lot about the Madsens. The surrogate uncle is a real uncle. It was great to see a lot of Robert Forster in this episode. His character in this show is very different compared to his character on Heroes. I wonder if Guy will be a guard in the new Alcatraz. I was hoping the ending would show that. The final scene was predictable.

BIGJIM
02-07-2012, 08:02 AM

I'm one of those "gun folk" and I don't seem to have a problem with it. It's just another name for it.
I guess I just don't see where you're coming from.

Captain_Piet
02-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Hey WarCry, just responded to your note in our latest podcast, recording right now.

WarCry
02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm one of those "gun folk" and I don't seem to have a problem with it. It's just another name for it.
I guess I just don't see where you're coming from.

Honestly, I don't care either. But I do hang out in some forums where I'm dead certain there are a few people who will never turn the show on again because of that. And, yes, I mock those people, also.

StarbaseEarth
02-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Last nights episode was better than the previous week. Hope it keeps moving forward and doesn't stall out

HaloHawk87
02-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Wow, another great episode. So much happened. It turns out Hauser was romantically involved with Lucy, which is a theory that had been going around. It also looks like Dr. Beauregard can heal her coma. I wonder if he could bring Kit Nelson back to life. I'm starting to think Dr. Beauregard could be the one behind everything. He definitely knows what's going on. It's probably still Warden Edwin James who's behind everything. It was confirmed that the inmates are appearing in different locations and don't know how.

GNT
02-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Say the first episode (2 episodes merged together), the time travel aspect is pretty neat but I can see the show getting old fast if they have to catch a villain each and every episode.

BIGJIM
02-14-2012, 08:04 AM
My thoughts exactly, but that appears to be the template they're following. They need to get into this "how/why did this happen" thing a little more or I'll be finding something else to do (sleep?) while my wife watches.

Captain_Piet
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Ratings continue to slip, but I don't think it's because of quality. We just recorded our podcast for episode 106, "Paxton Petty." If you're a fan of this show, make sure to watch it live and get a friend to join you.
Also, we have launched our message board at Ph.Geek - Home (http://phgeek.proboards.com/). There's only so much we can cram into a podcast. This Alc-ie, Trazzer, Rocky fan base craves theories and discussion though. Please don't hesitate to check it out.

Captain_Piet
02-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Just a reminder: new show at 9 tonight. If you're a fan and want it to continue, watch it live and bring a friend. Thanks.

HaloHawk87
02-21-2012, 04:09 AM
I thought the new episode was really good, but it felt like a filler. Not much happened in regards to the overall story. There were a lot of mentions to not being able to dream. I wonder what that's all about.

BIGJIM
02-21-2012, 07:58 AM
This show is getting harder to watch.
Instead of watching it with my wife, I now have the laptop open and occasionally look up so I can follow the story. If they don't step on the gas a little in the coming episodes, I'm officially done.
I should have walked away a few weeks ago when I actually fell asleep during the show.

Nerfherder
02-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Yeah, the formula is not really working for me. On paper it probably seemed to be a good idea to have a "Killer of the Week" type show, but without some interesting twists, it's just another procedural.

GNT
02-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Coming soon to a TV near your - Alcatraz: Miami and Alcatraz: New York ;)

Also if you were a criminal why would you even bother staying in the same area around Alcatraz? Wouldn't you want to go to like another state or another country?

Mildoo
02-21-2012, 07:15 PM
^ Something apparently keeps them there since previous criminals have done things they didn't know what they were doing it for, like Jack Sylvane, who in my opinion is why more interesting than the main cast at this point.

Captain_Piet
02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Fresh podcast up for Episode 107 "Johnny McKee" at The ALCATRAZ Podcast by PhGeek.com (http://alcatraz.podbean.com/). We got an email from Jorge Garcia himself.

BIGJIM
02-22-2012, 08:22 AM
We got an email from Jorge Garcia himself.

is he asking to be killed off so he can leave the show?
He should be.

Btw....Rebecca Madsen is quickly becoming the most annoying character on tv.

HaloHawk87
03-05-2012, 10:37 PM
"The Ames Brothers" is one of the best episodes of the season, maybe the best. "Sonny Burnett" is my least favorite episode of the season. The first episode kept my attention throughout, while the second one was boring throughout. Scott Calvin's ex-wife from "The Santa Clause" was in the "Sonny Burnett" episode. I think the first episode pretty much confirmed Warden Edwin James is behind everything, and I think he is still alive in the present day. I think he traveled to 2012. The discussion about the blood was interesting.

BIGJIM
03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I fell asleep during the second episode.
Was there any relevance to the big picture (time travel, blood, etc.)?

HaloHawk87
03-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I fell asleep during the second episode.
Was there any relevance to the big picture (time travel, blood, etc.)?

The second episode was the perfect example of a filler. There was only one scene early on in the episode that added to the overall story, the scene at Newcatraz between Hauser and Dr. Beauregard when they were talking about how some of the inmates had something put in their blood that made them healthier than the average person.

BIGJIM
03-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks!

Btw...in reference to the first episode last night, will someone please tell television and movie writers how much gold weighs?
That bar the warden picked up last night would have taken at least two hands, if not a little help to pick up as easily as he made it seem.

That's my biggest gripe with the movie Three Kings. You can't put what equals out to a few hundred pounds of gold into a suitcase and run around with it like it's used underwear.

Captain_Piet
03-06-2012, 08:58 PM
The second episode was the perfect example of a filler. There was only one scene early on in the episode that added to the overall story, the scene at Newcatraz between Hauser and Dr. Beauregard when they were talking about how some of the inmates had something put in their blood that made them healthier than the average person.

Don't forget at the end of the episode when it was revealed only some '63s have the colloid metal in their blood. Sunny Burnett did not.

BTW, latest podcast about these two episodes now up (http://alcatraz.podbean.com/). We have inside show news from sources very close to production as we count down to season 1 finale. We also formally launch our Rocks for FOX campaign.

HaloHawk87
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Don't forget at the end of the episode when it was revealed only some '63s have the colloid metal in their blood. Sunny Burnett did not.

That's what I said, I just couldn't remember what it was called, and it was revealed early in the episode, not at the end. The Sonny Burnett part was what was revealed at the end.

Captain_Piet
03-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Have you sent your Rocks for FOX (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/p/rocks-for-fox.html) yet?

Turbowars
03-11-2012, 03:52 PM
I let this show go. The big fat guy irritates me anyways.

BIGJIM
03-11-2012, 07:40 PM
The big fat guy irritates me

NOW WHAT DID I DO?!?!?!?! :mad:

:grin:

HaloHawk87
03-13-2012, 03:30 PM
I thought the new episode was really good. It had a great cliffhanger. I was surprised Dr. Beauregard didn't know what was happening to the blood. Warden James is definitely the one behind everything. The ratings fell 11% from last week to a 1.6 rating and 4.991 million viewers. It's sad to see the ratings fall every week.

Galen_Marek
03-15-2012, 05:43 PM
I thought the new episode was really good. It had a great cliffhanger. I was surprised Dr. Beauregard didn't know what was happening to the blood. Warden James is definitely the one behind everything. The ratings fell 11% from last week to a 1.6 rating and 4.991 million viewers. It's sad to see the ratings fall every week.

which means they will probably cancel it. I hope they find a way to wrap things up if that happens.

ETA: looks like they are one step ahead of me. From Wiki:

"Tommy Madsen"
TBA
TBA
March 26, 2012[11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatraz_(TV_series)#cite_note-FutonCritic-10)
2J5063
N/A

Rebecca will stop at nothing in pursuit of the man who killed her partner while the secret of Alcatraz is finally revealed.

Captain_Piet
03-15-2012, 06:10 PM
which means they will probably cancel it. I hope they find a way to wrap things up if that happens.

"Tommy Madsen"
TBA
TBA
March 26, 2012[11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatraz_(TV_series)#cite_note-FutonCritic-10)
2J5063
N/A

Rebecca will stop at nothing in pursuit of the man who killed her partner while the secret of Alcatraz is finally revealed.

Well, if you send your Rocks For FOX (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/p/rocks-for-fox.html), there's no reason the show has to end.

GNT
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't mind the show but it really doesn't have the staying power like other shows with the same drama week after week with just a new prisoner, I suspect it will get canned and would be surprised if even saw a 2nd series.

The fat guy gets it?

HaloHawk87
03-15-2012, 09:32 PM

"Tommy Madsen"
TBA
TBA
2J5063
N/A

I saw that earlier this week. It will wrap up some stuff, but I don't think it will be treated like a series finale, just a season finale, even though it will likely be a series finale. It won't answer every question, just some.

Captain_Piet
03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Two weeks left in season 1. Last hour-long episode airs tonight at 9 EST. Twitter campaign #RocksForFOX goes off at 8 EST. Liveblog at PhGeek.com (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/2012/03/alcatraz-318-liveblog-845pm-edt.html) begins at 8:45. Join us and let's save Alcatraz.

HaloHawk87
03-19-2012, 10:32 PM
The new episode was good. It had the best ending yet. It's great to see Lucy awake from her coma. Diego and Rebecca finally found out that she's from the past. It was funny when Dr. Beauregard wasn't sure how the computer worked when he was talking to Hauser on it. I can't wait for the 2-part season finale!

BIGJIM
03-20-2012, 07:18 AM
I can't wait for the 2-part season finale!

It's two hours.
Don't miss half of it by accident.

Captain_Piet
03-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Will be interviewing at least Executive Producer and Creator Steven Lilien on our podcast (http://alcatraz.podbean.com/) at 7 EST tonight to post soon afterward. May get Exec Bryan Wynbrandt and possibly another special guest that I can't mention, yet. If we get that person, we will likely live Tweet it, so follow along.

HaloHawk87
03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Last night's episode fell to a 1.5 rating, another new low, but the overall viewership went up to 5.07 million.

I'm looking forward to the podcast, Captain_Piet.

Captain_Piet
03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Last night's episode fell to a 1.5 rating, another new low, but the overall viewership went up to 5.07 million.

I'm looking forward to the podcast, Captain_Piet.

Actually, the numbers got updated. It wasn't their low. They had 5.4 mil. I'm optimistic, but that's just me.
We just completed recording. Not only were we joined on the podcast by Creators and Exec. Producers Steven Lilien and Bryan Wynbrandt, but the Warden himself (Jonny Coyne) joined us as well. They were great and I invited you all to listen when its mixed up put up momentarily at The ALCATRAZ Podcast by PhGeek.com (http://alcatraz.podbean.com/).

HaloHawk87
03-27-2012, 12:08 AM
*SPOILERS*

The final two episodes were the best of the season. I was right about Warden James being the one behind everything. I was surprised how big a role Harlan plays. It was great to see what was behind the door finally. I wonder if the new scientist character will work for Hauser. I could see him become a prisoner, right after they get information from him. I think it's likely Warden James traveled to the future. Greg Ellis, who played Garrett Stillman, was Lt. Theodore Groves in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. The ending had the biggest cliffhanger yet. It can't end like that. I hope Rebecca can be brought to life using that stuff in the blood. Speaking of the blood, it's interesting that that stuff was used for tracking the inmates. It's also interesting that inmates are all over the country, and not just in California. I hope we get a 2nd season.

ReddingRedFive
03-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Will there be a season 2? I hate getting into shows like this and then get let down when it gets cut before you get all the answers.

HaloHawk87
03-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Will there be a season 2? I hate getting into shows like this and then get let down when it gets cut before you get all the answers.

It's tough to say. I think it's unlikely, but still possible. The ratings have been bad.

BIGJIM
03-27-2012, 07:03 AM
That was the biggest letdown in the history of prime time tv.
I will not be upset when this show is cancelled.
If it does come back, I hope the annoying blond cop chick really is gone. I'm sure they'll just inject her with the magic silver blood (or whatever the heck it is) and bring her back though.

Captain_Piet
03-27-2012, 08:01 PM
That was the biggest letdown in the history of prime time tv.
I will not be upset when this show is cancelled.
If it does come back, I hope the annoying blond cop chick really is gone. I'm sure they'll just inject her with the magic silver blood (or whatever the heck it is) and bring her back though.

Yor response indicates you've likely not seen enough TV. There have been bigger disappointments. We are talking about a show that only got a 13-episode order.
We interviewed the show creators on the podcast last week. They have a plan. Will FOX let them execute it is the question. If you listen to the podcast, the Warden (Jonny Coyne) teased something's that were cut at the 11th hour.

Mildoo
03-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I'd be perfectly fine if it ends this way. The flashbacks to 1960's Alcatraz were really annoying because they only served to remind me that the villains of the week were the only characters that got any development at all. Madsen wasn't much of an engaging lead and neither was Soto. Hauser was just a **** most of the time too. It was a pretty disappointing series just like Terra Nova; they both started out promising and then got really boring only to have their two best episodes at the end of their runs.

Turbowars
03-27-2012, 08:25 PM
What he said^^^^^^^^ The show is dead to me and it's time for me to unsubscribe to this thread. Later gents!

medic62812
03-27-2012, 10:15 PM
totally forget this was on last night.
hopefully they'll repeat it on saturday as usual

Captain_Piet
03-31-2012, 07:55 AM
With the two-hour finale it doesn't seem as if Fox has the space for it tonight. Best bet is the website. If not, iTunes. Either way will help the suits make a tough decision.

medic62812
03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
With the two-hour finale it doesn't seem as if Fox has the space for it tonight. Best bet is the website. If not, iTunes. Either way will help the suits make a tough decision.

of course they don't have room for it, they have to show that Jennifer Lopez crapfest instead.

i'll find it online i guess

D. Martin
04-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I did the pilot for this show, but haven't seen a single episode :(

GNT
04-02-2012, 04:47 AM
I did the pilot for this show, but haven't seen a single episode :(

What did you do?

D. Martin
04-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Properties. Beside handing actors watches and guns from time to time I get to make some cool stuff. Of all I did, my favourite prop build was the 1960 and modern file folders. I created a font that matched era typewriters and based every page on real Alcatraz files and paperwork. I dunno if the crew that replaced us after the show was picked up put the same level of work into them as I did for the pilot, but mine were pretty rad.

GNT
04-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Sounds pretty sweet, did you get to keep any of it?

Galen_Marek
04-02-2012, 10:11 PM
i've often wondered what happens to props from TV and movies. A popular show or movie, people would pay good money for any screen used props, and there must be thousands or tens of thousands per season/film.

D. Martin
04-03-2012, 02:10 AM
I own a few props from different things I've worked on, but most stay with the production. In the case of Alcatraz, I didn't keep anything. I kept the hero satchel Steve Martin used in Big Year (you can actually see me in that film), and the guitar picks that Adam Brody used in Jennifer's Body. The only prop I've ever wanted to own that I didn't get was a book used in 50/50 (which was my favourite on set experience).

GNT
04-03-2012, 02:57 AM
i've often wondered what happens to props from TV and movies. A popular show or movie, people would pay good money for any screen used props, and there must be thousands or tens of thousands per season/film.

Depending on what the production is, they usually hold auctions to sell off clothes and props from TV shows/movies these days. Most items will get sold through sites like ebay or an auction house :)

Mildoo
04-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I remember that when 24 ended they auctioned off a lot of cool props from the show, like Jack's glasses and his bloody shirt. Those went for a lot of cash.

Captain_Piet
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I remember that when 24 ended they auctioned off a lot of cool props from the show, like Jack's glasses and his bloody shirt. Those went for a lot of cash.

Don't bury "Alcatraz" yet, unless it's with Rocks for FOX (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/p/rocks-for-fox.html).

Shotgun on Rebecca's bloody turtleneck!

Galen_Marek
04-03-2012, 11:29 PM

No, I mean the little things, like the stuff on the desk. Each sheet of paper is potentially worth something if it is sold right. I'd definitely pay like $50 for a sheet of paper that was seen on screen from a show/movie I love. There have to be 1000s of those type of things per episode/film, but you never see that for sale.

GNT
04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
The smaller stuff would most likely be trashed at some point, they'd mostly keep the clothes and props from the show.

Mildoo
04-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Don't bury "Alcatraz" yet, unless it's with Rocks for FOX (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/p/rocks-for-fox.html).

Shotgun on Rebecca's bloody turtleneck!

You're kind of contradicting yourself there...:P

D. Martin
04-05-2012, 01:45 AM
The smaller stuff would most likely be trashed at some point, they'd mostly keep the clothes and props from the show.
Not really. I worked on Stupidnatural for a while, and all seven seasons were saved in giant lock ups. When I as on Psych, I recall there being production sales. Matter of fact, I bought a couple pieces from that show. I never wanted anything from Stupidnatural though, that show sucked to work on.

GNT
04-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I guess it depends on what the production is and what they can and can't save, there's only so much room you can have to store stuff, smaller items like binders etc wouldn't be worth saving as they could easily be remade, costumes and major pieces could be reused again so they'd be kept. I find props interesting and would love to own something from my favourite shows if I could.

jediblood
04-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Not really. I worked on Stupidnatural for a while, and all seven seasons were saved in giant lock ups. When I as on Psych, I recall there being production sales. Matter of fact, I bought a couple pieces from that show. I never wanted anything from Stupidnatural though, that show sucked to work on.

What's wrong with Supernatural? I think it's a great show.

HaloHawk87
04-07-2012, 02:45 PM
It's cool to hear you worked on the show, D. Martin. You should watch the full season, it was really good.

I've watched auctions for props from Heroes on eBay. I would really like to have a prop from Heroes, but the prices get too high, especially with high shipping. The items that sell for the most are Claire's clothes and the paintings. I'd like to see stuff from Alcatraz on there someday.

Captain_Piet
04-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Well, let's hope the bulk of the props won't be available for some time. And if they are, the Alcatraz Podcast by Ph.Geek will have the inside track.

Rod
04-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Anybody heard if this show will continue? Finally got around to watching it on iTunes and HULU and my wife and I really enjoyed it. I didn't think the finale was a letdown. Hope it doesn't get dropped.

Captain_Piet
04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Anybody heard if this show will continue? Finally got around to watching it on iTunes and HULU and my wife and I really enjoyed it. I didn't think the finale was a letdown. Hope it doesn't get dropped.

The last we heard from producers Alcatraz remains firmly on the bubble. Fringe does seem like the stronger bet to come back. Complicating things is that Bad Robot is knee deep in the Star Trek sequel shoot. The silver lining may be that Fox's schedule is very light on returning programming. We'll know for sure in May. In the meantime, send those Rocks for FOX (http://phgeek.blogspot.com/p/rocks-for-fox.html) to renew Alcatraz.

Captain_Piet
05-11-2012, 06:20 PM
In case you hadn't heard, FOX pulled the plug Wednesday night. We knew it was coming, but it still doesn't soften the blow. A renewal would have meant we'd go out to the set.
Easy come, easy go. We had our next project on deck anyway. Would've been nice to see the show develop though.

Jedi_Rainman
05-11-2012, 06:31 PM
In case you hadn't heard, FOX pulled the plug Wednesday night. We knew it was coming, but it still doesn't soften the blow. A renewal would have meant we'd go out to the set.
Easy come, easy go. We had our next project on deck anyway. Would've been nice to see the show develop though.

NoOOooOOOoo for 5 minutes - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_lJTGKFP0&feature=related)

Cornfedbigdaddy
05-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah its gone! Never really found its "legs". It was never given a chance. With a more complex show like this, it should be given 2 seasons before pulling the plug. In second season you really get a sense of the direction the show wants to take you.

Captain_Piet
05-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Too true. We were hopeful with Fringe only getting a half season order to complete its run but no such luck. Shame too. The two producers are young guys just starting families who have to scramble to catch on somewhere now.

StarbaseEarth
05-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Sad to see it go, but it happens a lot with the fox network

HaloHawk87
05-12-2012, 10:48 PM
I was sad to hear it was cancelled, but I was expecting it. I only watched two primetime shows on network TV this past year, Terra Nova and Alcatraz, and both were cancelled. I'll have to find completely new shows to watch next fall. Right now I'm interested in watching J.J. Abram's next show, Revolution, which will be on NBC. It will probably only get one season too. I'm still looking for the next Heroes (the best show of all-time in my opinion), and hoped Terra Nova and/or Alcatraz could fill that void, but they ended up just being stop-gaps for a year.

GNT
05-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Oh well it was expected to happen, it seemed like the episode structure was the same as the next. It needed to do something different to keep the show interesting to watch.

Captain_Piet
05-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Oh well it was expected to happen, it seemed like the episode structure was the same as the next. It needed to do something different to keep the show interesting to watch.

There was an underlying mythology to each episode. It was a procedural hybrid that the networks pretty much demand right now: new story told in 44 minutes each week and thrw in a tiny bit of a larger arc.

Anyway, final podcast recording today to lay the show to rest.

zapcity
05-13-2012, 07:33 PM
There was a list of shows that were cancelled on Yahoo the other day and of the 17 listed, I'd only ever heard of 4 and not seen a single episode of any of them on the list. From what I'd heard of Alcatraz, I would have thought that it would have survived.....

ABC
Pan AM

ABC
GCB

ABC
Missing

ABC
The River

CBS
A Gifted Man

CW
Ringer

CW
The Secret Circle

Fox
Alcatraz

Fox
Breaking In

Fox
The Finder

Fox
I hate my teenage daughter

NBC
Are you There Chelsea

NBC
Harry's Law

NBC
Awake

NBC
Bent

NBC
Best Friends Forever

NBC
The Firm

Galen_Marek
05-13-2012, 07:50 PM
ABC
Pan AM

CBS
A Gifted Man

Fox
Alcatraz

Fox
I hate my teenage daughter

NBC
Are you There Chelsea

NBC
Harry's Law

NBC
Awake

NBC
Bent

I enjoyed all of these shows very much and was disappointed that they were cancelled, especially Bent and Harry's Law, Alcatraz, too.

Turbowars
05-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Where did you find the time to watch more that 2-3 of these shows? Life seems to get in the way for me to watch more than a hour or 2 a day.