PDA

View Full Version : Classic Trilogy or Prequel Trilogy First?

Rabin_Lorac
11-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok I have serious problem (to me) that I need a serious discussion about. My daughter is going to be two when Episode 1 comes out. I am thinking to maybe take her to see her first SW movie ever. However this is where the problem lies.

I was born in 1979. My fater had the whole room decorated with SW. Sheets, wallpaper, pillows, everything. I already had 2 of almost every figure. One whom I would play with and the other for a collection. I even have the vinyl cape jawa, all were opened unfortunately but he is still unplayed in the original 3PO carrying case. I was able to see Empire in the theater because I was 4 and the rest. I grew up with the classic trilogy and all the mystical plot points and settings. Mean we had no idea who a Jedi Knight was, what the clone wars were, that Darth Vader was Anakin and all the other mysterious things about SW.

So here is my question that I need to honestly debate. Should I introduce SW to my daught, whom again has not seen anything to do or knows anything with/about SW other than my action figures and galactic heros that she plays with, the CLASSIC trilogy or the PREQUEL trilogy?

Think carefully about your answers and discussions. Should she know who Darth Vader is "before" I even knew whom he was in Empire? Or that Luke and Leia are twins in New Hope? And all the great and wonderful things about the Classic Trilogy that were not "explained".

Or should she know from start to finish the story of SW? Since George Lucus has now created a full story from beginning to end should she watch all 6 in order? Does it really matter that things got explained in the Classic Trilogy with the Prequels? Should I even care that my experience should be the same for her and now the "new" generation of SW fans watch all the SW as a complete story from 1-6. Am I old school and just biased?

I think this is a very immportant discussion because how you watch them may affect the outcome of the feelings and wonder of SW.

Thanks!

RedHarlow
11-20-2011, 04:55 PM
The OT first, obviously. I think the whole point of the PT was to know that Anakin was going to turn into Darth Vader eventually, and you watch his descent into darkness.

I'm like this with anything. Movies, video games, books. You watch/play/read them in order of release, dammit. The people who made them want you to know/not know certain things at certain points.

Darth_Engelhast
11-20-2011, 05:08 PM
1. Droids The Animated Series
2. A New Hope
3. The Holiday Special
4. Phantom Menace
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Clone Wars Series (so you will have to wait until it wraps up to move on to #7.)
7. Empire Strikes Back
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Return of The Jedi
10. The Ewok Adventure
11. Ewoks Battle for Endor
12. Ewoks The Animated Series.

CaptainMax
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM
start with Episode 1. i had to explain why darth vader turned into a kid and all that. easier to watch in order. Lucas even said, if he had more technology he'd done ep1-3 first

HappyNoodleBoy
11-20-2011, 06:33 PM
The OT first, obviously. I think the whole point of the PT was to know that Anakin was going to turn into Darth Vader eventually, and you watch his descent into darkness.

Yup. Vader's reveal in Empire will not have the same impact if you show the PT first.

Perfect example (not mine though):

Son's reaction to 'Empire Strikes Back' reveal!!!! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbV5hn_ET0U)

Wishing_Well
11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
wait for the sequel trilogy

trandoshanhunter
11-20-2011, 06:56 PM
I'd start with OT first, but I guess thats because I like OT better.

GNT
11-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Ok I have serious problem (to me) that I need a serious discussion about. My daughter is going to be two when Episode 1 comes out. I am thinking to maybe take her to see her first SW movie ever. However this is where the problem lies.

Really? Honestly she's two so I'm sure you can show her in any order, she's not going to remember any of the plot lines or the deeper meanings (let alone understand everything) in the film amyway, I'm sure she'll just be in it for the visuals. Had she been older then yes maybe watching them in somw form of order would be better.

Yup. Vader's reveal in Empire will not have the same impact if you show the PT first.

Probably not but people still think Vader being Lukes father is such a surprise these days, everyone knows it and it gets quoted in plenty of Tv shows and movies, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't know about it.

The_Chosen_1
11-20-2011, 07:22 PM
First off, welcome to the boards Rabin! You're sure to get some interesting responses to this topic. :pride:

Really? Honestly she's two so I'm sure you can show her in any order, she's not going to remember any of the plot lines or the deeper meanings (let alone understand everything) in the film anyway, I'm sure she'll just be in it for the visuals.

I'm with you on that, GNT. At 2 years old, it's not going to matter to her either way. The best thing you could do right now - assuming you want the films to have an impact - is wait another 5 years or so to show her the movies. And even then, I probably wouldn't show ROTS to a child under 10.

RedHarlow
11-20-2011, 07:38 PM
And even then, I probably wouldn't show ROTS to a child under 10.

Yeah really, Anakin murdering the sand people in Ep. 2 and him slaughtering the Separatist commanders and choking his pregnant wife into unconsciousness might be a bit heavy material for small children.

GNT
11-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Yeah really, Anakin murdering the sand people in Ep. 2 and him slaughtering the Separatist commanders and choking his pregnant wife into unconsciousness might be a bit heavy material for small children.

Yeah agreed, this films aren't really aimed at extremely young kids, maybe it'd be better to pop in the droids or ewoks shows instead for a least a few years.

The_Chosen_1
11-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Exactly, not to mention the whole Anakin burning alive thing. There's plenty of violent content in the films (particularly ROTS), and I think that as fans we sometimes get too eager to show them to our children as early as possible.

I like your idea of showing the Ewoks or Droids cartoons to young kids, GNT. Star Wars has become become so big that there is plenty of age-appropriate material to choose from these days.

Mildoo
11-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I've been thinking about the order for a newcomer to watch them as well and I thought this order might suffice:
Episode 1 Episodes one and two first to get the story going and to get to know Anakin
Episode 2
Episode 4 Now you know Anakin, so you know what he was like when Obi Wan talks to Luke about him and by skipping episode 3 you avoid knowing that Darth
Vader is Luke's father while watching Empire.

Episode 5
Episode 3 Now you get to watch Anakin's fall to the dark side and see his transformation into Darth Vader.
Episode 6

I think by doing it this way you can manage to save all the cool reveals.

I don't think I explained this very well but it sounds great in my head.

DagMarus
11-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I fully plan on only showing any eventual kid the untouched OT. The same EXACT movie I watched growing up. He or she can see the PT at their friend's if they want. I definitely will never willingly own a copy of the prequels or SE OT again.

Turbowars
11-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I would never show the pt to a child. Like what was said wait until five. I saw ANH at that age and it was embedded in my mine forever. Don't let moronic jarjar be the 1st impression to a wonderful story. Let them be disappointed at an older age.

dfmaverick
11-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Read these articles on a dad showing his 6 and 3 year olds the films in a particular order: IV, V, I, II, III, VI

Very interesting and a joy to read.

Film Nerd 2.0: We kick off a special series with a first viewing of Star Wars on Blu-ray - HitFix.com (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-we-kick-off-a-special-series-with-a-first-viewing-of-star-wars)

Film Nerd 2.0: We finally reach The Moment with Empire Strikes Back on Blu-ray - HitFix.com (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-we-finally-reach-the-moment-with-empire-strikes-back-on-blu-ray)

Film Nerd 2.0: We flashback to The Phantom Menace as the Star Wars series continues - HitFix.com (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-we-flashback-to-the-phantom-menace-as-the-star-wars-series-continues)

Film Nerd 2.0: Yoda seals the deal for Attack Of The Clones on Blu-ray - HitFix.com (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-yoda-seals-the-deal-for-attack-of-the-clones-on-blu-ray)

Film Nerd 2.0: Revenge Of The Sith devastates the kids as Anakin falls from grace - HitFix.com (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-revenge-of-the-sith-devastates-the-kids-as-anakin-falls-from-grace)

Film Nerd 2.0: The heros journey ends with Return Of The Jedi on Blu-ray - HitFix.com (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-the-heros-journey-ends-with-return-of-the-jedi-and-many-many-shared-tears)

Might give you some insight on what kids can handle at those young ages and what they think of while/after watching the films.

DarthBeek
11-21-2011, 12:30 AM
I fully plan on only showing any eventual kid the untouched OT. The same EXACT movie I watched growing up.

This.

All the other garbage needs to remain unseen. I wish I had never witnessed it.

Rabin_Lorac
11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the reponses so far!

Just to make something a little clearer. I am asking this now because E1 is comming out again next year. Lucusfilm stated that they will release one episode each year hopefully. So while she is 2 now by the time E3 comes out she will about 5. I have the clone wars on bluray so after E2 I think I will probably show them to her. I saw my first SW at 4 and still remember parts of that expereince (or I think I do lol).

Reading Mildoo's idea I think is actually pretty good. You are meant to "fall" in love with Anakin and skipping E3 and having Anakin be romanticised and then showing E3 after Empire would be such a bang I think. Then with Jedi you will really be rooting for DV/Anakin to save the day.

Keep the discussion going!

trandoshanhunter
11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I do still have to say OT first. They are way better. EP 1 and 2 I could never love, ROTS was good but all of those bow to the three OT films. TPM and AOTC just didn't feel like the OT films at all.

DagMarus
11-21-2011, 07:03 PM
I do still have to say OT first. They are way better. EP 1 and 2 I could never love, ROTS was good but all of those bow to the three OT films. TPM and AOTC just didn't feel like the OT films at all. For me, ROTS turned both Vader AND the Emperor into a joke with three lines. "Nnnnyoo, nnnyooooo, YOU WILL DIE!", "POWAAAAH! UNNNNNNNLIMITED...POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" and, of course "NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" There's some good stuff in there, but for me, it's ruined by its association with the rest of the Prequels.

charlie6127
11-21-2011, 07:29 PM
For me, ROTS turned both Vader AND the Emperor into a joke with three lines. "Nnnnyoo, nnnyooooo, YOU WILL DIE!", "POWAAAAH! UNNNNNNNLIMITED...POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" and, of course "NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" There's some good stuff in there, but for me, it's ruined by its association with the rest of the Prequels.

Acting and plot in the Prequels is just so dry and so sterile, the OT had life and personality for me

trandoshanhunter
11-22-2011, 08:10 PM
And plus, the characters in the PT seemed to talk for an hour and make very slow pace. The OT films are fast-paced and action packed, which is why OT is better.

jedichase
11-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Watch it in the same order as they were made. Not that I'm against the Prequels, but the Originals need to be known as the first.

macross7
11-22-2011, 10:32 PM
1,2,3,4,5,6 the order it is intended to be watched in. Pretty lame forcing kids to watch it a certain way because you watched it that way. If the whole point of forcing OT first is hoping they crap their pants over the "I am your father" line, be prepared to find out they knew it already. Its only one of the most overused pop culture references.

CadBane
11-22-2011, 11:11 PM
All 6 in a row that's the only way to watch it cause it's one story. The last 4/6 of it is the best though

DagMarus
11-22-2011, 11:39 PM
I won't actually be forcing them to watch it in any different order, as they won't be watching the prequels with me. They won't be in my house. If they see them, it'll be on their own.

GNT
11-23-2011, 04:25 AM
1,2,3,4,5,6 the order it is intended to be watched in. Pretty lame forcing kids to watch it a certain way because you watched it that way. If the whole point of forcing OT first is hoping they crap their pants over the "I am your father" line, be prepared to find out they knew it already. Its only one of the most overused pop culture references.

Well said!

Turbowars
11-23-2011, 08:51 AM
If George intended us to see ep1 first then he would had released ep1 first. Ep1 wasnt the most compelling story so he went with what he thought was best. At least that's how I see it.

sinkie
11-23-2011, 02:52 PM
If George intended us to see ep1 first then he would had released ep1 first. Ep1 wasnt the most compelling story so he went with what he thought was best. At least that's how I see it.
What? Didn't you hear? The only reason he didn't make Ep I first was because SFX of the time were not up to helping him bring Jar Jar to life in all his ridiculous glory! Just check People magazine August 1977 if you don't believe me!

I've said it in umpteen threads over the years. Viewing order is, well, I guess it is whatever you want it to be, but to me the OT is the strongest so either your choice is save the best for last or show it first to hook them and then the more dense, convoluted PT can function as the bonus feature of the backstory to the arguably stronger tale. Also, showing the PT first might risk kids seeing the OT's less CGI-ish FX as old school and turn them off SW. Maybe?

Anyway, an argument based on "intended viewing order" only means that is what George says now and wishes. He could be wrong about how well that works even if his intention was to create an "intended viewing order" post the OT-phenomenon with the addition of the PT. Not all projects work the way you want them to. If GL had made a PT that seamlessly meshed with the older ones, taking a riskier perhaps route of using older FX tech or at least mimicking it more rather than attempting to update the older films after the fact, I might say his project worked to create a new intended viewing order. But I'm with most here, OT first, PT second. I don't think kids will be disturbed by that. I think they will get the fact that the older films got made first, then the person went back and made new ones to show you what happened before. Like a very delayed flashback.