PDA

View Full Version : Mara Jade - #14

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Toonimator
08-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Luke's distinctive "look" is his Farmboy outfit, but Hasbro still gives us Jedi outfit, 'Bespin' outfit, etc.

Jedi Mara's basically meant to be PT-ish style costumes--I'm not crazy about it when the artists literally just put NJO Jedi in straight-up PT outfits, I like to see it mixed up, see OT-style belts with big buckles on 'em rather than the silly tiny clasps of PT, not the same cuts for the shirts, no 'trademark' PT sashes/tabards/etc and certainly not a majority of khaki/brown robes--Luke's Jedi are supposed to be a lot more colorful, in attire as well as saber blade choices. Or, another idea I'd love to see and haven't really, we could get Jedi outfits based on Luke's own ROTJ outfit, which is basically a plain shirt & pants (matching color or not) with a vest thrown on over it, a sash, and a utility belt. Less monk-like than PT robes.

Not only that, but there's all the Jedi like Kyle Katarn who just wear whatever they want--which is fine, and would open up Mara to any outfit really, but Mara's described in a Jedi outfit in at least ONE source. When we vote for one particular Mara over another, we should have some distinction between them; not just get the Catsuit because it's her most distinctive look.

Put another way, this figure we're getting? We'd be getting THE EXACT SAME FIGURE if Emperor's Hand Mara Jade won the Fan's Choice Poll instead of Mara Jade Skywalker. That's just wrong.

Revanfan1
08-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I like that Corran Horn wears green robes, Kirana Ti and Tenel Ka wear traditional Dathomir witch garb, Kyle wears his combat uniform with a jacket, ect. And I agree that they should be more colorful, with more ROTJ-style robes, with larger belt buckles and plain shirts and pants with the vests over them. In fact, that's probably what most pre-PT authors had in mind when they wrote about the traditional "Jedi robes." Although, many pre-PT sources seem to suggest that the NJO's "robes" were actually jumpsuits similar to Bespin Luke, and the Junior Jedi Knights series actually has the children wearing orange X-wing-style flightsuits without the white vests/control panels or ammo rounds on their boots. Another great example of NJO "Jedi robes" were Kyp Durron's or Kam Solusar's outfit:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/3/36/Kyp_Durron.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/f9/Kam_Solusar_NEGTC.jpg

A simple shirt and jacket, but in blacks and browns. This is probably what authors like Kevin Anderson, Timothy Zahn, and Barbara Hambly saw when they thought "Jedi robes." Not this:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/c/c2/Cilghal_egtf.jpg

In fact, in the novel Darksaber, Cilghal (pictured above) is said to be wearing blue robes to represent the water-world Mon Calamari. Anyway, I could go on forever on what post-ROTJ robes should look like compared to PT robes, but I won't because, well...it could be turned into a novel by the time I finished.

Wishing_Well
08-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I always thought Kam Solusar and that 80's styled executioner from Dark empire would make a great comic pack.

Revanfan1
08-30-2012, 10:11 AM
I always thought Kam Solusar and that 80's styled executioner from Dark empire would make a great comic pack.

You mean Sedriss QL? Did you know he was a descendant of Ulic Qel-Droma?

CaptainJack
08-30-2012, 10:48 AM
You mean Sedriss QL? Did you know he was a descendant of Ulic Qel-Droma?
When did Ulic Qel-Droma get around to having kids? There was nothing good about Dark Empire. Nothing.

Revanfan1
08-30-2012, 03:31 PM
When did Ulic Qel-Droma get around to having kids? There was nothing good about Dark Empire. Nothing.

Probably sometime between Tales of the Jedi and Redemption.

BlasTech
08-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Luke's distinctive "look" is his Farmboy outfitDamn you, Marvel comics!

but Hasbro still gives us Jedi outfit, 'Bespin' outfit, etc.It's Luke. What do you expect? An EU character, even a very popular one like Mara, is rather less likely to get the same treatment, to put it mildly.

Jedi Mara's basically meant to be PT-ish style costumes--I'm not crazy about it when the artists literally just put NJO Jedi in straight-up PT outfitsParticularly when those characters already have well-established, pre-PT designs in place.

Compare the "Before"...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090311124047/starwars/images/thumb/c/cd/YJK_Shadow_Academy.jpg/328px-YJK_Shadow_Academy.jpg

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060205084413/starwars/images/thumb/0/0d/GoldenGlobe.jpg/417px-GoldenGlobe.jpg

...with the "After".

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120828173525/starwars/images/thumb/1/1d/YoungJediKnight_TERC.jpg/368px-YoungJediKnight_TERC.jpg

I like to see it mixed up, see OT-style belts with big buckles on 'em rather than the silly tiny clasps of PT, not the same cuts for the shirts, no 'trademark' PT sashes/tabards/etc and certainly not a majority of khaki/brown robes--Luke's Jedi are supposed to be a lot more colorful, in attire as well as saber blade choices. Or, another idea I'd love to see and haven't really, we could get Jedi outfits based on Luke's own ROTJ outfit, which is basically a plain shirt & pants (matching color or not) with a vest thrown on over it, a sash, and a utility belt. Less monk-like than PT robes.I'd prefer if the vest/sash was dispensed with all together, à la Luke's costume from the latter part of RotJ. I've never been convinced of the idea that Obi-Wan and Yoda's costumes in the OT were "Jedi clothing"; Old Ben wore essentially the same thing as Owen Lars and Yoda's robe looked as though it was meant to be something he'd made himself from local materials rather than anything approximating a sort of uniform. The only element of either costume that really suggested "Jedi" to me was that high-collared, cassock-like garment both appeared to be wearing underneath.

Not only that, but there's all the Jedi like Kyle Katarn who just wear whatever they want--which is fine, and would open up Mara to any outfit really, but Mara's described in a Jedi outfit in at least ONE source. When we vote for one particular Mara over another, we should have some distinction between them; not just get the Catsuit because it's her most distinctive look.I can't say I'm terribly impressed by your case. By your own admission, you have one (verbal) description of Mara wearing a "Jedi outfit", where by contrast I can almost guarantee that something like half or more of the returns for any image search for "Mara Jade", whether official art, fan art, costuming or what have you, will feature the black sleeveless costume.

Put another way, this figure we're getting? We'd be getting THE EXACT SAME FIGURE if Emperor's Hand Mara Jade won the Fan's Choice Poll instead of Mara Jade Skywalker. That's just wrong.Put it this way: X should not be made until a better version of Y is available, as it seems customary to say. ;^)

Masterfett
08-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Well the problem is they tried to mirror OT and PT with their outfits, when they should have tried to be imaginative with them.
Just because they're descendants of certain characters, doesn't mean they need to dress them in similar looking clothes to be recognized.

Oh and this is the exact reason why I felt voting for Mara was a mistake.
We already had two figures of her, plus there are so many different visual references that it would become problematic for Hasbro to make the right choice.

Trooper31
08-31-2012, 04:21 AM
I still think Hasbro has a Union comic pack planned as the SDCC exclusive and we'll see Mara in Jedi robes then.

Revanfan1
08-31-2012, 11:40 AM
I still think Hasbro has a Union comic pack planned as the SDCC exclusive and we'll see Mara in Jedi robes then.

If so, I hope we can get it on HTS!

Toonimator
08-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Particularly when those characters already have well-established, pre-PT designs in place.

Compare the "Before"...
...with the "After".
I snipped the pics, but aside from the 'after' pic just looking like a weak painting (it's all muddy), I kinda prefer those outfits to the shapeless sacks of the Before pics (for Anakin & Tahiri, anyway). The Jedi Kids' costume designs are just about as lazy as the post-PT 'PT-style Jedi outfits' designs: Jacen & Jaina are in grayish-tan jumpsuits based entirely (aside from being jumpsuits rather than a jacket & pants) on Bespin Luke's outfit. Anakin & Tahiri's orange suits are REALLY crappy, and make 'em look like tiny inmates.

Now, taking those pre-PT costumes as-is... the twins' jumpsuits were basically 'uniforms' of their class of trainees. So Anakin's orange were the uniforms of his class, a year behind them. Do they keep those outfits throughout their training? Or move up to a new uniform? It doesn't really make sense. But in any case, Jacen & Jaina should've moved on from their outfits early into NJO; they weren't full Knights right at the start, but they earned it many times over by the end. Time to ditch uniforms. Anakin, same thing. And we do have descriptions of them in other outfits. Book descriptions trump artistic interpretations, which are more at the whim of the art director or approval of LFL or whatever.

I'd prefer if the vest/sash was dispensed with all together, à la Luke's costume from the latter part of RotJ. I've never been convinced of the idea that Obi-Wan and Yoda's costumes in the OT were "Jedi clothing"; Old Ben wore essentially the same thing as Owen Lars and Yoda's robe looked as though it was meant to be something he'd made himself from local materials rather than anything approximating a sort of uniform. The only element of either costume that really suggested "Jedi" to me was that high-collared, cassock-like garment both appeared to be wearing underneath.
I agree, I never thought Obi-Wan & Yoda's OT costumes were "Jedi clothing", just "hermit clothing". Luke's vest & sash weren't really even meant to evoke their robes, but Luke's outfit WAS dubbed "a Jedi uniform" back then (note his cloak was just a cloak, too--not a hooded robe like Ben had, or whatever robe Yoda had on). And when Anakin's ghost appeared, dressed just like Ben, I didn't think "Jedi", I thought "Two old friends dressed in Tatooine clothes".

I can't say I'm terribly impressed by your case. By your own admission, you have one (verbal) description of Mara wearing a "Jedi outfit", where by contrast I can almost guarantee that something like half or more of the returns for any image search for "Mara Jade", whether official art, fan art, costuming or what have you, will feature the black sleeveless costume.
There's also other scattered descriptions of her wearing OTHER outfits... but the ONLY description of her wearing the catsuit comes from Allegiance, which takes place DURING the OT, and was only written recently, long after Thrawn, NJO, etc. The visual representations of the catsuit are all based on that one damn Decipher card, and while it's the MAJORITY of what you'd find in a Google search, it's not ALL that you'd find. You'd find the brown outfit, the green one, the Mysteries of the Sith jacket & shirt, etc.

The visual record on Mara is wrong. Hasbro had options. And, again, when we vote for the JEDI version of her, we should get the JEDI version; NOT the exact same figure we'd be getting if Emperor's Hand won. Your "X should not be made until a better version of Y is available" doesn't make sense! "Well, ROTJ Luke shouldn't be made until Hoth Luke is made." If people VOTED for ROTJ Luke, they should MAKE ROTJ Luke... not hold off because the current Hoth Luke's a piece of crap like the current "Emperor's Hand" Mara from the Comic Packs is.

Revanfan1
08-31-2012, 12:47 PM
I snipped the pics, but aside from the 'after' pic just looking like a weak painting (it's all muddy), I kinda prefer those outfits to the shapeless sacks of the Before pics (for Anakin & Tahiri, anyway).

Well, I think there are a few reasons that picture is 'muddy.' First, it is from the upcoming Essential Reader's Companion, and so it's not a scan, just a bad photograph. Second, I think it's supposed to look partially muddy - like a kind of graduation picture. So it's 'muddy' because it's nothing more than an image, possibly taken by Luke or one of the other Jedi Masters, of the graduating students. But yeah, I agree - Luke's jumpsuit is nice for an older Jacen, but when they form it into some prison inmates in brown, it looks horrible, while they at least look like Jedi in the 'muddy' image.

FDOIRex
08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
It does kinda suck that we didn't get *exactly* what we voted for, but one must admit the 'Black Catsuit' is much more distinct in a display than Jedi Robes.

wedgeswingman
08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Quit complaining, it's a good figure. Mara Jade is Mara Jade, get over it.

trandoshanhunter
08-31-2012, 05:57 PM
What's collecting without a little complaining? ;)

CadBane
08-31-2012, 06:50 PM
I think Rex has a valid point and do not thinks he's complaining but bickering is definitely a con in this hobby.

CadBane
08-31-2012, 06:51 PM
I do not "think" not thinks.

Toonimator
08-31-2012, 07:18 PM
A hypothetical: Fan's Choice winner is 'civvies' Wedge Antilles (as seen in Rogue Squadron: Phantom Affair; brown coat, maroon shirt, black pants).

Instead, Hasbro gives us an updated version of the Dress Uniform Wedge previously released in a Comic Pack, they just label it "Wedge Antilles (The Phantom Affair)".

We're supposed to just say "Wedge is Wedge" and accept it without complaint?

Masterfett
08-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Really?
That's all we need, is a precious CP slot taken up by yet another character we already have.:rolleyes:

IMO if they follow the MU theme for CP's then they are bound to fail, we don't need the same characters from the basic line just in alternate outfits in these.

wedgeswingman
08-31-2012, 08:52 PM
A hypothetical: Fan's Choice winner is 'civvies' Wedge Antilles (as seen in Rogue Squadron: Phantom Affair; brown coat, maroon shirt, black pants).

Instead, Hasbro gives us an updated version of the Dress Uniform Wedge previously released in a Comic Pack, they just label it "Wedge Antilles (The Phantom Affair)".

We're supposed to just say "Wedge is Wedge" and accept it without complaint?

Yep, because I would be totally happy with that.

BlasTech
08-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I snipped the pics, but aside from the 'after' pic just looking like a weak painting (it's all muddy), I kinda prefer those outfits to the shapeless sacks of the Before pics (for Anakin & Tahiri, anyway). The Jedi Kids' costume designs are just about as lazy as the post-PT 'PT-style Jedi outfits' designsI know. The relative aesthetic value of the costumes in question wasn't really my point of contention, but rather the "monkey-see, monkey-do" impulse to PT-ify the NJO.

Jacen & Jaina are in grayish-tan jumpsuits based entirely (aside from being jumpsuits rather than a jacket & pants) on Bespin Luke's outfit. Anakin & Tahiri's orange suits are REALLY crappy, and make 'em look like tiny inmates.Even as an impressionable adolescent getting his first exposure to the EU, I never liked Jacen and Jaina's YJK outfits. Their being an almost direct rip of Luke's Dagobah/Bespin utilities just rubbed me the wrong way, though I suppose it could be argued that Luke acquired a lot of old Rebel Alliance surplus uniforms for his students when setting up the Yavin Academy (though later book-covers featured slightly more elaborate outfits (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090311130312/starwars/images/c/ce/YJK_Jedi_Under_Siege.jpg) which Darth Caedus's armour (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100104005629/starwars/images/e/e4/Caedus_EA.jpg) vaguely resembles, perhaps intentionally).

On the other hand, I've always had a certain fondness for Anakin and Tahiri's orange jumpsuits, which don't make them look like convicts (too baggy, too many pouches, pockets, fasteners, etc) so much as pre-adolescent space cadets, an idea I find endearing in a goofy sort of way.

Now, taking those pre-PT costumes as-is... the twins' jumpsuits were basically 'uniforms' of their class of trainees. So Anakin's orange were the uniforms of his class, a year behind them. Do they keep those outfits throughout their training? Or move up to a new uniform?Given there's a picture (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060804210232/starwars/images/c/cf/YoungJacen.jpg) of a younger (re: Anakin/Tahiri in Junior Jedi Knights) Jacen in the same outfit, I'd guess that that was the intention, except for the fact that that Jacen and Jaina seem to have been the only Jedi trainees who actually wore those brown jobs, as best I can recall.

I'm not sure that they were necessarily meant to be jumpsuits either:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071206005043/starwars/images/thumb/5/5f/SoloTwins_EGttF.jpg/337px-SoloTwins_EGttF.jpg

But in any case, Jacen & Jaina should've moved on from their outfits early into NJO; they weren't full Knights right at the start, but they earned it many times over by the end. Time to ditch uniforms. Anakin, same thing. And we do have descriptions of them in other outfits....?

Book descriptions trump artistic interpretations, which are more at the whim of the art director or approval of LFL or whatever.I can't imagine Hasbro's sculptors see it that way.

I agree, I never thought Obi-Wan & Yoda's OT costumes were "Jedi clothing", just "hermit clothing". Luke's vest & sash weren't really even meant to evoke their robes, but Luke's outfit WAS dubbed "a Jedi uniform" back then (note his cloak was just a cloak, too--not a hooded robe like Ben had, or whatever robe Yoda had on). And when Anakin's ghost appeared, dressed just like Ben, I didn't think "Jedi", I thought "Two old friends dressed in Tatooine clothes".Ah, the good old days, before the Dark Times, before the Prequels... :-P

There's also other scattered descriptions of her wearing OTHER outfits... but the ONLY description of her wearing the catsuit comes from Allegiance, which takes place DURING the OT, and was only written recently, long after Thrawn, NJO, etc.Are you certain of that? I got the impression that the outfit in question was something more along these lines:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080225005212/starwars/images/7/74/Mara_Jade_Allegiance.jpg

The visual representations of the catsuit are all based on that one damn Decipher card, and while it's the MAJORITY of what you'd find in a Google search, it's not ALL that you'd find. You'd find the brown outfit, the green one, the Mysteries of the Sith jacket & shirt, etc.As I said, there are quite alot of images of Mara in various outfits, but the sleeveless catsuit appears about as often as all the rest put together. The obvious conclusion would be that for better or worse, that is the costume that the majority of people associate with Mara Jade.

The visual record on Mara is wrong.How so?

Hasbro had options. And, again, when we vote for the JEDI version of her, we should get the JEDI version; NOT the exact same figure we'd be getting if Emperor's Hand won. Your "X should not be made until a better version of Y is available" doesn't make sense! "Well, ROTJ Luke shouldn't be made until Hoth Luke is made." If people VOTED for ROTJ Luke, they should MAKE ROTJ Luke... not hold off because the current Hoth Luke's a piece of crap like the current "Emperor's Hand" Mara from the Comic Packs is.Why? Surely certain costumes/designs are in less demand than others; say ANH Trash Compactor Stormtrooper Disguise Luke versus ANH X-Wing Pilot Luke. ;-)

homer_sapien
09-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I can't say I'm terribly impressed by your case. By your own admission, you have one (verbal) description of Mara wearing a "Jedi outfit", where by contrast I can almost guarantee that something like half or more of the returns for any image search for "Mara Jade", whether official art, fan art, costuming or what have you, will feature the black sleeveless costume.

Including the picture they used for the Insider poll.

Revanfan1
09-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Hey, you guys, I don't know why you're all complaining about this figure, it's all great and whatever.

/shutz. :P

Toonimator
09-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Are you certain of that? I got the impression that the outfit in question was something more along these lines:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080225005212/starwars/images/7/74/Mara_Jade_Allegiance.jpg

As I said, there are quite alot of images of Mara in various outfits, but the sleeveless catsuit appears about as often as all the rest put together. The obvious conclusion would be that for better or worse, that is the costume that the majority of people associate with Mara Jade.

How so?
Is the pic you linked from Allegiance? I mention that the catsuit's ONLY described in Allegiance because of that snippet of it Revanfan1 posted a page or three ago... describing how she removes the sleeves of her suit, baring her arms. It amounts to Zahn actually describing the catsuit, for the first time EVER. And THAT is why I say the visual record of Mara is wrong, because the vast majority of it is based on the catsuit from that Decipher card, not based on the unfortunately limited (but still totally anti-catsuit) descriptions from the post-ROTJ texts. It's like having only rough descriptions of what Leia wears post-ROTJ, but having nearly all post-ROTJ art, including book covers, depict her in the gold bikini since that's one outfit fans readily identify with, and then asking for Jedi Knight Leia and getting Slave Leia, chain & all. With even SW Insider showing Slave Leia in the poll, despite it clearly labeling her as Jedi Knight Leia Organa-Solo.

Good catch on that Jacen/Jaina image with the coats! I think maybe it's just an artist thing--even if it's the same artist occasionally. Sometimes thinking it's jumpsuits, sometimes thinking coat & pants. One of the more iconic Jacen images, which TLC Jacen was obviously based on, clearly had him in a jumpsuit (while the matching Jaina art had her with no sleeves... like she had her PT-ish Jedi outfit on, but removed the main shirt & scarf).

So many here seem willing to just accept getting the wrong figure, or don't even acknowledge that it IS the wrong figure (common sense says we'd get this exact same figure if EH Mara won, making this the wrong figure). I know we can't CHANGE it, but at least Hasbro might acknowledge it and maybe say they'll tackle a proper Jedi Mara... then again, they've never corrected the player-mod mask they dumped on Darth Revan.

Revanfan1
09-01-2012, 08:36 PM
It's like having only rough descriptions of what Leia wears post-ROTJ, but having nearly all post-ROTJ art, including book covers, depict her in the gold bikini since that's one outfit fans readily identify with, and then asking for Jedi Knight Leia and getting Slave Leia, chain & all. With even SW Insider showing Slave Leia in the poll, despite it clearly labeling her as Jedi Knight Leia Organa-Solo.

That's a perfect analogy, right there. I couldn't think of a better way to put it. It would be the ultimate slight on the fans who voted for A, and A won, and yet we got Q.

Droidworld
09-01-2012, 09:15 PM
That's a perfect analogy, right there. I couldn't think of a better way to put it. It would be the ultimate slight on the fans who voted for A, and A won, and yet we got Q.

This was not an intentional sleight. This was lack of due diligence on Hasbro's part. The NEXT Mara figure, if there is one, will most likely be this Mara's head on Bultar Swan's Jedi torso.

Unless they truly feel guilty, and spend the money to come up with an all new Jedi Mara. Ha!!! Can't believe I even typed that....

Revanfan1
09-01-2012, 09:19 PM
This was not an intentional sleight. This was lack of due diligence on Hasbro's part.

Okay, maybe you're right. They did say they were trying to do two in one though, so if this comes with a Jedi robe, I (unfortunately) doubt we'll see a Jedi Mara made in the future. I will keep my hopes up though - a Union comic pack with a Jedi Master Luke would be okay.

BlasTech
09-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Is the pic you linked from Allegiance?The URL contains the text "Mara_Jade_Allegiance.jpg", so I would have to assume as much.

I mention that the catsuit's ONLY described in Allegiance because of that snippet of it Revanfan1 posted a page or three ago... describing how she removes the sleeves of her suit, baring her arms. It amounts to Zahn actually describing the catsuit, for the first time EVER.Is it now? Haven't read Allegiance for a while. Still, good of him to have done so if that's the case.

And THAT is why I say the visual record of Mara is wrong, because the vast majority of it is based on the catsuit from that Decipher card, not based on the unfortunately limited (but still totally anti-catsuit) descriptions from the post-ROTJ texts.And the HTTE comic book adaptations?

It's like having only rough descriptions of what Leia wears post-ROTJ, but having nearly all post-ROTJ art, including book covers, depict her in the gold bikini since that's one outfit fans readily identify with, and then asking for Jedi Knight Leia and getting Slave Leia, chain & all. With even SW Insider showing Slave Leia in the poll, despite it clearly labeling her as Jedi Knight Leia Organa-Solo.Not really. The catsuit has at least a modicum of plausibility for the sort of shenanigans Mara is usually getting up to in her stories (and the reference in Allegiance would seem to cement it as her "official" Emperor's Hand costume). Leia's slave-girl kit... not so much. ;-)

Good catch on that Jacen/Jaina image with the coats! I think maybe it's just an artist thing--even if it's the same artist occasionally. Sometimes thinking it's jumpsuits, sometimes thinking coat & pants. One of the more iconic Jacen images, which TLC Jacen was obviously based on, clearly had him in a jumpsuit (while the matching Jaina art had her with no sleeves... like she had her PT-ish Jedi outfit on, but removed the main shirt & scarf).Actually, I think the designs of both of those figures were ripped more or less directly from the New Expanded Guide to Characters (which I wouldn't mind seeing more EU figures inspired by (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Images_from_The_New_Essential_Guide_to_Ch aracters)):
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110127014234/starwars/images/thumb/9/99/Jacensolo_negtc.jpg/363px-Jacensolo_negtc.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110127014415/starwars/images/thumb/5/5e/JainaWar.jpg/257px-JainaWar.jpg

So many here seem willing to just accept getting the wrong figure, or don't even acknowledge that it IS the wrong figure (common sense says we'd get this exact same figure if EH Mara won, making this the wrong figure). I know we can't CHANGE it, but at least Hasbro might acknowledge it and maybe say they'll tackle a proper Jedi Mara... then again, they've never corrected the player-mod mask they dumped on Darth Revan.I'd compare it to the fans choice poll coming out for an alternate version of Revan, but Hasbro deciding instead to release a better-articulated, model-accurate version of the warlord costume. Of course, some people would no doubt be incensed that they wouldn't be getting a figure of Revan in the Military Suit (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090709042649/starwars/images/5/56/Military_Suit.jpg) or Light Battle Armour (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090709041928/starwars/images/c/c5/Light_Battle_Armor.jpg), but others would be happy to have an improved version of the character's most familiar costume.

Revanfan1
09-02-2012, 09:09 PM
And the HTTE comic book adaptations?

Those were not the best comics in terms of accuracy in appearance. Pellaeon went from young, gray-haired, square-jawed man to old, skinny dude, and Noghri went from block-headed short people to alligator-creatures, while in HTTE Luke and Leia both (incorrectly) had blue lightsabers, while in Dark Force Rising and The Last Command, they had the correct green, and Mara's "sleeve gun" described in the novels was either in a holster on her back or up a gauntlet. All in all, the artists failed at those comics, not paying the least attention to anything described in the novels, and pretty much only reading the scripts to the comics they were illustrating - and using the Decipher card as Mara's reference.

BlasTech
09-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Those were not the best comics in terms of accuracy in appearance.Not my point. I was simply attempting to call Toonimater's attention to them as another vector for the perpetuation of Mara's now-characteristic sleeveless costume.

Toonimator
09-03-2012, 02:24 PM
The Thrawn adaptations were also based on the Decipher card--it all goes back to that damn thing. "Hey SW geeks! Check it out! With this cardgame, we're actually hiring someone to portray an EU character! So you'll get a PHOTO of a popular EU character! YEAH!" and many of us ate it up. Doesn't make it right.

What it boils down to is that we'd have gotten this figure no matter which version of Mara won the Fan's Choice poll, which means those voting for the other versions earlier in the process didn't really matter. Emperor's Hand wins, we'd get this figure. Smuggler wins, we'd get this figure. Jedi wins, we got this figure. "Pick A, B, or C. Doesn't matter which you choose, we'll give you A because many of you believe B is also A, and that C is A, too, cuz of the way the book covers turned out, and the rest of you don't know that there should be a difference between A, B, or C at all, because you never actually read the novels."

Revanfan1
09-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but I'm currently reading the Children of the Jedi/Darksaber/Planet of Twilight trilogy and I would love an action figure of Luke's first true love, Callista Ming. B)

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/66/Callista_NEGTC.jpg

BlasTech
09-03-2012, 04:41 PM
The Thrawn adaptations were also based on the Decipher card--it all goes back to that damn thing.The card was not the only official depiction of the costume.

"Pick A, B, or C. Doesn't matter which you choose, we'll give you A because many of you believe B is also A, and that C is A, too, cuz of the way the book covers turned out, and the rest of you don't know that there should be a difference between A, B, or C at all, because you never actually read the novels."More to the point, the novels, for the most part, tend not to carry all that much in the way of useful data regarding the way characters look (the never-really-described "brown, armoured jumpsuits" favoured by the Jedi for combat in some of the later NJO books, for example).

Revanfan1
09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
The card was not the only official depiction of the costume.

No, but his point is, it was one of the first, and it was certainly the first to depict an EU character with a real-life model. Thus, people went back to it just because it wasn't a drawing.

BlasTech
09-03-2012, 07:04 PM
No, but his point is, it was one of the first, and it was certainly the first to depict an EU character with a real-life model. Thus, people went back to it just because it wasn't a drawing.I understand that that's his opinion, and I have to disagree with it. I don't believe that the costume would have become so persistently associated with the character only because it had a real human being to model it.

Revanfan1
09-03-2012, 07:11 PM
I understand that that's his opinion, and I have to disagree with it. I don't believe that the costume would have become so persistently associated with the character only because it had a real human being to model it.

You'd be surprised. Because it had exaclty that effect on me. Not exactly that card, really, but I didn't know who Mara Jade was until one Christmas, when I was eight or nine years old, I got the Empire Strikes Back card game, which came with this card:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/f3/Newmara.jpg

After that I went to the library and checked out a comic with Mara Jade as the main character (I can't remember the details, but it was either Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand or, more likely, Heir to the Empire). Because of that, it took me years to imagine Mara in any outfit other than a black catsuit. So yes, a seemingly simple thing as having an EU character portrayed by a real person can have an effect on a person. Especially back then, when visual EU references for the novels were few and far between.

BlasTech
09-03-2012, 07:25 PM
You'd be surprised.Eh, not really. My contention is that the costume proved sufficiently resonant as the character's definitive "look" with a majority of fans; if most of them had the same feelings towards it as Toonimator I doubt it would have proven so enduring.

Revanfan1
09-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Back to this figure, though, I definitely will be buying it despite my disappointment at it being the catsuit Mara, because I missed out on both the horrible comic pack (thank goodness!) and good-for-its-time POTF2 figures. As she's in her catsuit, she will look good beside my DSII Luke - when they make a Jedi Mara Skywalker, then I'll happily put her with the likes of Kyle Katarn and Nom Anor. But until then, she'll stay beside her husband-to-be. I guess it'll work for the HTTE scenes (except, once again, she is in a catsuit instead of something with a sleeve for a sleeve gun) where Luke and Mara are lost on Myrkr - or maybe for the scenes in Survivor's Quest.

BlasTech
09-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Back to this figure, though, I definitely will be buying it despite my disappointment at it being the catsuit Mara, because I missed out on both the horrible comic pack (thank goodness!) and good-for-its-time POTF2 figures. As she's in her catsuit, she will look good beside my DSII Luke - when they make a Jedi Mara Skywalker, then I'll happily put her with the likes of Kyle Katarn and Nom Anor. But until then, she'll stay beside her husband-to-be. I guess it'll work for the HTTE scenes (except, once again, she is in a catsuit instead of something with a sleeve for a sleeve gun) where Luke and Mara are lost on Myrkr - or maybe for the scenes in Survivor's Quest.I certainly wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I ever happened across one, though I suspect that that's going to be a rather big "if"...

FDOIRex
09-03-2012, 08:41 PM
This figure will continue the long tradition of HTF EU figures.

Revanfan1
09-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I'll probably order it from Amazon.com like I did Starkiller, Fordo, and Nom Anor, and hopefully preorder it like I did the TOR trooper.

FDOIRex
09-04-2012, 05:35 AM
I'll probably order it from Amazon.com like I did Starkiller, Fordo, and Nom Anor, and hopefully preorder it like I did the TOR trooper.

Amazon does figure pre-orders now?

Trooper31
09-04-2012, 05:51 AM
It seems that individual figures are up for the Weequay wave as pre-orders, so many that's their new way of doing things.

BlasTech
09-04-2012, 09:30 AM
I'll probably order it from Amazon.com like I did Starkiller, Fordo, and Nom Anor, and hopefully preorder it like I did the TOR trooper.Tried pre-ordering the Republic trooper. Sadly, it seems that they won't ship that particular item to Canada for whatever reason. :-(

Revanfan1
09-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Tried pre-ordering the Republic trooper. Sadly, it seems that they won't ship that particular item to Canada for whatever reason. :-(

That stinks, man.

BlasTech
09-04-2012, 11:54 AM
That stinks, man.Yeah, I don't really understand it. I can apparently order the Amazon-exclusive G.I. Joe Renegades cartoon boxed set, so it's not like there's a blanket ban on shipping action figures up here. Perhaps it's because they're pre-orders?

CaptainJack
09-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I don't really understand it. I can apparently order the Amazon-exclusive G.I. Joe Renegades cartoon boxed set, so it's not like there's a blanket ban on shipping action figures up here. Perhaps it's because they're pre-orders?
I assume that they just haven't been assigned export codes yet. Do the in-stock figures ship to Canada?

Waggy
09-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Does this figure come with optional clothing?

GKinCT
09-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Does this figure come with optional clothing?

Well then... Seeing as this is a family friendly site, I'm going to assume you mean something along the lines of an extra Jedi robe, in which case we aren't sure at this point.

trandoshanhunter
09-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Tried pre-ordering the Republic trooper. Sadly, it seems that they won't ship that particular item to Canada for whatever reason. :-(
That really sucks.

It's nice to see another Canadian collector on the boards, though.

Waggy
09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Well then... Seeing as this is a family friendly site, I'm going to assume you mean something along the lines of an extra Jedi robe, in which case we aren't sure at this point.

You passed the test young padawan. But to become a true Jedi you must pass through the ring of fire unscathed.

I think Jedi robes will be optional extra. There must be plenty left over from the obi wan TPM.

BlasTech
09-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I assume that they just haven't been assigned export codes yet. Do the in-stock figures ship to Canada?So far as I can tell, yes.

That really sucks.

It's nice to see another Canadian collector on the boards, though.I know, eh? ;-)

Masterfett
09-04-2012, 11:48 PM
This figure will continue the long tradition of HTF EU figures.

Sadly EU figures are no longer the only victim of that curse anymore...:'(

Trooper31
09-05-2012, 01:21 AM
If Hasbro distributes these over the whole world, then I don't think she'll be that hard to find. My only question is, how many cases does Hasbro have planned?

CaptainJack
09-05-2012, 08:47 AM
If Hasbro distributes these over the whole world, then I don't think she'll be that hard to find. My only question is, how many cases does Hasbro have planned?
They claim that it's a normal run. But we know "normal" cases don't get equal numbers, so it's hard to say. They implied that it will be more plentiful than the TRU exclusive EU wave from a couple of years ago.

Toonimator
09-05-2012, 11:45 AM
They implied that it will be more plentiful than the TRU exclusive EU wave from a couple of years ago.
That doesn't fill me with much hope, considering I never saw that wave aside from the carryforward DS2 Luke and Chewie with that wave's droid parts.

CaptainJack
09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
That doesn't fill me with much hope, considering I never saw that wave aside from the carryforward DS2 Luke and Chewie with that wave's droid parts.
I got that wave from a friend who got it at the Times Square store. Allegedly, they had tons of it there.

Revanfan1
09-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I got that wave from a friend who got it at the Times Square store. Allegedly, they had tons of it there.

So that's where they all got shipped. Man, I want Jacen and Jaina.

Toonimator
09-05-2012, 08:06 PM
So that's where they all got shipped. Man, I want Jacen and Jaina.
...and K'Kruhk :(

mandalorehunter
09-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I have absolutely no problem that hasbro gave us another mara in the black suit but why try to convince us that we are getting the poll winner simply by putting the word jedi in the title? i mean, come one! and she is getting a red lightsaber too! even less jedi than the ones we had before!

trandoshanhunter
09-05-2012, 08:12 PM
And Phase 1 Darktrooper. :\

Masterfett
09-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Actually there's an ebay seller that has him loose for a decent price.

Really though I think it would be a pretty good idea for Hasbro to repack him, only this time with his hat!

Also should try to get Bastila Shan back out again!

Toonimator
09-05-2012, 11:08 PM
I have absolutely no problem that hasbro gave us another mara in the black suit but why try to convince us that we are getting the poll winner simply by putting the word jedi in the title? i mean, come one! and she is getting a red lightsaber too! even less jedi than the ones we had before!
Not red; violet. Or, it's kinda meant to be, but veering toward the red side of the spectrum more than the blue; her Emperor's Hand saber-hilt is supposed to sport a purple-ish/pink-ish blade, and that's what we're getting here (same as in the Comic Pack, tho they messed up the blade color quite a bit there)

Actually there's an ebay seller that has him loose for a decent price.
I saw that, but he has no soft-goods! If it was just the robe missing, I wouldn't mind so much, but without the skirt he looks 'off'. It's still very tempting, and I may as well order one just in case... :)

Revanfan1
09-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Indeed, her lightsaber is not red, but purple - at least on this figure. Out of curiosity, where did you see a red blade? Could you show me?

FDOIRex
09-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Sadly EU figures are no longer the only victim of that curse anymore...:'(

EU figures remain proportionally HTF compared to regular figures . Regular figures are impossible to find now...

LadyIrithyl
09-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I like the figure. While it may not be perfect by any means. Hasbro could have done a whole lot worse. I'm glad they picked the most "iconic" Mara outfit.

Trooper31
09-12-2012, 04:43 AM
I like the figure. While it may not be perfect by any means. Hasbro could have done a whole lot worse. I'm glad they picked the most "iconic" Mara outfit.

I feel this way as well. It is the iconic Mara outfit and she is SA, so I'm happy with it.

HothHan
09-12-2012, 08:47 AM
I had no intention of buying this figure (never been a fan of the character or anything post-Jedi) but after seeing the slides at C6 it just looks to awesome to pass up.

Trooper31
09-12-2012, 09:16 AM
It's also a female figure and we don't see many of those in the SW line.

Toonimator
09-12-2012, 12:00 PM
While this really has nothing to do with the figure, I found this today and thought this web-comic protagonist was very Mara-like in this strip (http://www.ineffableaether.com/2011/08/01/ch01s07/). The artist made her derringer a bit too large in the 'reveal' panel, of course, but that's still pretty much what Mara was supposed to have when Zahn created her--and the key reason I've been so against the 'iconic' catsuit.

ZX3
09-16-2012, 08:15 AM
The figure looked great in the presentation, but the selection of her still kind of has me miffed.
Given the chance to vote on any- ANY- character, the majority of voters opted for a third incarnation of a EU character to get some sculpting and articulation tweaks that won't be good enough for many of them in a year or two when standards change again and complaints start up again.
Fan's Choice used to mean the fans championing some really great and obscure characters who otherwise wouldn't have seen plastic.

Masterfett
09-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Fan's Choice used to mean the fans championing some really great and obscure characters who otherwise wouldn't have seen plastic.
I know, it somehow feels as if the FC poll has lost it's meaning.

Though I guess nowadays any figure that isn't Anakin, Clones, Obi-Wan, Han, Luke, and Vader is obscure in Hasbro's eyes.
And will find it a difficult task to see a release.

Though personally I feel these choices should be meant for comic and book characters, since movie characters even obscure are always in the parking lot.
It all depends on how close in line to the door, and who gets shuffled out due to LFL's weird demands.

Trooper31
09-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Good points. I think they just take any vote for a certain character and not a specific outfit. You almost have to send a photo with your vote so they know which version you're talking about.

TimArt
09-17-2012, 10:01 AM
^ That may well be true on Hasbro's part. Unfortunately in this case the specific (type of) outfit was a very key reason 'Jedi Mara' won the poll.
I'm overjoyed to finally have a great Mara figure coming at all, & she looks great, but if she'd been a *little* more NJO I wouldn't exactly have been sorry...

Hey Toonimator, at the biggest catsuit-critic here would any/all or my design ideas get the thumbs up now? :P

Vorax
09-30-2012, 03:38 PM
It looks like a good update to the original Mara Jade and Kenner release. I only liked Mara from Mysteries of the Sith & Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi games and her novel debut, more so from the games. After that she lost uniqueness and interest from me once she became popular *comment removed*

**Partial Comment removed, this is an all ages forum.**

wedgeswingman
09-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Well that's rude.

Revanfan1
10-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Well that's rude.

Yeah, I couldn't come up with an appropriate response to such an untrue and crude statement.

Krayt
10-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Still looking forward to getting Empire's hand Mara

Vorax
10-02-2012, 12:23 AM
LOL Like you did see Padme delivering a baby from between her legs in ROTS. Some of you should realize that it was a joke and well reality of baby birth and even star wars ranges from PG to PG 13 its not rated G and most of us are adults.

Anyhow, the comic pack Jade was a botch job, this one is a major improvment. I wouldnt mind a updated EU Kenner/Dark forces Katarn at some point.

Revanfan1
10-02-2012, 10:19 AM
^ GNT, he did it again. /tattle

;)

Trooper31
10-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Is this figure officially listed as Mara Jade Jedi or just Mara Jade? She's got a red lightsaber, so that really doesn't work for a Jedo version.

Revanfan1
10-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Actually she has a magenta lightsaber, not red.

Krayt
10-04-2012, 10:30 AM
LOL... you are too funny Revan
We haven't seen the card back, but Hasbro told us it was Jedi Mara Jade Skywalker... Funny they list it that way, why just Jedi Mara Jade or Mara Jade Skywalker because those of us who know actual characters that she is a Jedi when she marries Luke

Toonimator
10-04-2012, 12:21 PM
LOL... you are too funny Revan
We haven't seen the card back, but Hasbro told us it was Jedi Mara Jade Skywalker... Funny they list it that way, why just Jedi Mara Jade or Mara Jade Skywalker because those of us who know actual characters that she is a Jedi when she marries Luke
They list it that way so they can point to it and say "Look, it says 'Jedi Mara Jade Skywalker' on the packaging...that's what you voted for!" when we complain about how it's really Emperor's Hand Mara :\

FDOIRex
10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
I still think Hasbro believes the cover of Sacrifice is what Mara wore during LOTF, and thus being her 'Jedi' outfit.

Krayt
10-04-2012, 10:49 PM
I still think Hasbro believes the cover of Sacrifice is what Mara wore during LOTF, and thus being her 'Jedi' outfit.

UMMM what about her lightsaber then???

Toonimator
10-05-2012, 11:55 AM
And her age... Mara was about 57 when she died. In addition to the many anatomical/drawing 'flaws' of the Sacrifice cover (e.g., that face doesn't belong on that head, that head doesn't belong on that body, and that lightsaber hilt is gigantic and doesn't make any sense with her hand or where the blade apparently starts), her age seems way off the mark, even assuming she somehow aged slower because she was a Jedi, an idea with little support in the EU and virtually none in the movies aside from the weak "Well, Yoda was 900!" argument and the preproduction info that Qui-Gon was meant to be 60, before Neeson was even cast. Even if that's still considered 'fact' that he was THAT old at his death, it's also fact that Obi-Wan was roughly 57 when HE died, too, and looked far, far older. Mara on the cover of Sacrifice looks nowhere near as old as Qui-Gon OR Obi-Wan, which is another mark against that depiction of her.

Krayt
10-05-2012, 12:08 PM
That is the one thing that kills me about the aging process in Star Wars. If people are supposed to live longer and not age as fast, then what the hell happened with Obi-Wan???? The guy moved like an old man in ANH but yet you read the novels and Han is moving like a guy in his 20s when he is ten years older than Kenobi at the time of his death

Revanfan1
10-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Obi-Wan was....aged by the sun? :\

Krayt
10-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Anyways...
Still looking forward to Emperor's Hand Mara. She still does look like a good figure, just mis named

SGT_A
10-07-2012, 01:20 AM
This is the only figure I would consider picking up out of this line.

Toonimator
10-08-2012, 02:30 PM
That is the one thing that kills me about the aging process in Star Wars. If people are supposed to live longer and not age as fast, then what the hell happened with Obi-Wan???? The guy moved like an old man in ANH but yet you read the novels and Han is moving like a guy in his 20s when he is ten years older than Kenobi at the time of his death
Yep... and I never liked any of the excuses for Obi-Wan seeming so old, either: the environment, cutting himself off from the Force, whatever. Grief and the stress of pinning all hopes for the future on a boy whose family doesn't want him to be involved at all.

On a sidenote, regarding my previous post, NOW Liam Neeson's 60. And, well: Taken 2. I've not seen it yet, but caught the end of the first again a couple nights ago. Yeah. There's an argument for Han's exploits as a 60-something, perhaps, but it still doesn't excuse Sacrifice-Mara from LOOKING so young.

wedgeswingman
10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Maybe her genes are just that good. I know a girl who's mother is about 60 and looks 30, and I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. As far as Obi-Wan...must be those double suns. I mean, the guy has been living in a desert for 20 years.

Krayt
10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Maybe her genes are just that good. I know a girl who's mother is about 60 and looks 30, and I AM NOT EXAGGERATING.

The things plastic surgery can do now a days :P

CadBane
10-08-2012, 07:38 PM
This is the only figure I would consider picking up out of this line.
No Geo Padme sarge?

Revanfan1
10-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Yep... and I never liked any of the excuses for Obi-Wan seeming so old, either: the environment, cutting himself off from the Force, whatever. Grief and the stress of pinning all hopes for the future on a boy whose family doesn't want him to be involved at all.

On a sidenote, regarding my previous post, NOW Liam Neeson's 60. And, well: Taken 2. I've not seen it yet, but caught the end of the first again a couple nights ago. Yeah. There's an argument for Han's exploits as a 60-something, perhaps, but it still doesn't excuse Sacrifice-Mara from LOOKING so young.

That's the thing - it's cover art, which isn't always canon. For example, the cover of Crosscurrent shows Saes with Shaak Ti's lightsaber hilt, while the novel says he had a protosaber with a curved hilt. There are bound to be inaccuracies, as the artists probably don't always read the whole book.

Toonimator
10-08-2012, 07:45 PM
No Geo Padme could be a case of "It shouldn't take 10-11 years to fix something as horrendous as the 2002 Geo Padme" ;)

Toonimator
10-08-2012, 07:59 PM
<curses lack of edit feature in this thread>

That's the thing - it's cover art, which isn't always canon. For example, the cover of Crosscurrent shows Saes with Shaak Ti's lightsaber hilt, while the novel says he had a protosaber with a curved hilt. There are bound to be inaccuracies, as the artists probably don't always read the whole book.
True, but try telling other people that :P The book covers are the main source of visual reference for so many characters and outfits, aside from after-the-fact Essential Guides. Speaking of guides, that's what I look to the covers (and some of the other artwork) as: guides. Suggestions. Often riddled with inaccuracies, like Luke wearing the ANH/ESB hilt on his belt while holding Baby Ben (leading to the Evo NJO figure's green-bladed nonsense), or not matching the descriptions (sleeveless Mara in the comic adaptation). Other people swear by the covers, even when they're not consistent with each other (Mara's various likenesses). Plus, Sacrifice in particular looks like it had a LOT of meddling hands, and it wouldn't surprise me if the artist was fed up with notes and/or shocked that they actually approved what they did. C'mon, the angle of the face & shape of the head & relationship of head to the body? Compare that to his Jacens on other covers in the series, their heads are fine. And the giant fat saber hilt that looks like a sloppy afterthought rather than something sketched out & planned for the arm in that position? I can't stand that image due to all of that, but I give the artist the benefit of the doubt considering none of the other books in the series seem to share such flaws--yet am still disappointed that so many others think it's the epitome of Mara Jade artwork and how all her figures should look.

Krayt
10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
The problem with Mara Jade is the lack of decent artwork for her. Especially after marrying Luke, there is no artwork of her in outfits she wore then. The artwork is like sacrifice and they claim she still wears the same sort of outfit. I think the best piece of artwork for Mara Jade Skywalker is a piece on deviant art by some random fan.

TimArt
10-09-2012, 07:32 PM
The problem with Mara Jade is the lack of decent artwork for her. Especially after marrying Luke, there is no artwork of her in outfits she wore then. The artwork is like sacrifice and they claim she still wears the same sort of outfit.

Again, not none. These are official depictions of Mara Jade-Skywalker. So there is was at least one other significant option. Plus the new visual guide-one where she's fighting the Vong.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr251/timart88/MaraTan-outfit.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr251/timart88/MaraJedi-outfits.jpg

Masterfett
10-09-2012, 08:47 PM
That bottom pic on the right looks like they could just repaint Jaina Solo add SG robe and a new head sculpt.

Krayt
10-10-2012, 06:55 PM
The top pics don't show enough to give a good idea about what the outfit truly looks like.
Classic Mara is what we are getting (Emperor's Hand Mara). Dark Nest I don't mind but isn't a good feel for what Mara wore, it's mash up of things she wore in the past. Union was it (bottom right) doesn't strike me at all as Mara and neither does the small picture.

A lack of decent images is severely hingering Mara. We know they can nail Emperor's Hand, but Jedi Mara is a whole different story.
Someone needs to read Sacrifice and write down all the details about Mara's outfit before she fights Jacen and design that Mara

TimArt
10-10-2012, 07:53 PM
^ Krayt if you'll forgive me, there is such a a thing as being too slavishly devoted to a book description- costume design is an art form that takes a lot of skill. And ultimately is subjective anyway.
If Tim Zahn said 'white jumpsuit' we could get either Geonosis Padme or Kylie Minogue (google it!) ;)

The classic Mara look may have a problem with the sleeve-blaster issue but IMHO it's a striking, memorable and most importantly StarWars-y design. I'd rather a little fudging of the details than a generic design. In fact I like em all except the Dark Nest one myself.

Krayt
10-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I know what you are saying...
My point is, catsuits are fine for Emperor's Hand Mara. Like the new figure we are getting, I think that is a great example of Emperor's Hand Mara. However, when you go to Jedi Mara you have to ditch the catsuits since no author puts her in one anymore. I am all for people being creative in what Jedi Mara should look like. The two pictures on the bottom right are creative but to me they don't scream Mara. Mara has a unique look because of her background and she stands out from other Jedi. The two pictures are unique but they don't give Mara her uniqueness.

I have said, my favourite depiction of Mara is from DeviantArt but some Artist who includes Jedi type outfit but still gives her some unique look

Revanfan1
10-10-2012, 09:34 PM
^ Krayt if you'll forgive me, there is such a a thing as being too slavishly devoted to a book description- costume design is an art form that takes a lot of skill. And ultimately is subjective anyway.

Tim, if you'll forgive me, there is such a thing as being too slavishly devoted to art depiction - as an amateur writer, I care a lot more about book description than art depiction. The point is the artists did Zahn - the original writer of the story - an injustice by not following his story just for the sake of making her outfit, ah, physically appealing to the male audience. (Now, I am not complaining on that point necessarily, but it is still unfair.) Also, Hasbro is doing us an injustice by not giving us the figure we voted for. I don't understand why you guys aren't getting that; we voted for one thing, but they pretty much ignored what we voted for and gave us something else! Just because it's the same character does not justify it. Would you like it if you voted for Yavin Ceremony Leia and got Bespin Escape Leia instead? Get my point now? I don't really want you to agree with it, just understand it, okay? Sorry, rant over. I needed to get that out. :grin:

TimArt
10-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Tim, if you'll forgive me, there is such a thing as being too slavishly devoted to art depiction - as an amateur writer, I care a lot more about book description than art depiction. The point is the artists did Zahn - the original writer of the story - an injustice by not following his story just for the sake of making her outfit, ah, physically appealing to the male audience. (Now, I am not complaining on that point necessarily, but it is still unfair.) Also, Hasbro is doing us an injustice by not giving us the figure we voted for. I don't understand why you guys aren't getting that; we voted for one thing, but they pretty much ignored what we voted for and gave us something else! Just because it's the same character does not justify it. Would you like it if you voted for Yavin Ceremony Leia and got Bespin Escape Leia instead? Get my point now? I don't really want you to agree with it, just understand it, okay? Sorry, rant over. I needed to get that out. :grin:

Well as a slightly more than amateur artist we'll just have to agree to disagree there ;) (I'm kidding I'm kidding!)
I love me some Tim Zahn but I don't really see the problem- imagine she puts a coat on in-between the panels if it makes you feel better. She's the same character with the same depth regardless, I don't think a bare arm or two ruins that.
Its another tangent but I don't really agree that the catsuit is all about T&A either, I pretty sure it can be attributed to Olivier Vatine in the HTTE adaptation, & he wasn't exactly Adam Hughes.....she's just a ******.

I've not actually defended Hasbro & this figure debacle at any point though have I? I voted for Jedi Mara and this wasn't what I had in mind.
Looking forward to the great 'classic Mara' figure we have coming is just an attempt at a glass-half-full attitude.

& Krayt, I get ya now- I don't picture 60yr old Mara wearing exactly her old look either :) An 'official' idea of what all the main characters look like post NJO would be great, maybe in the next Essential Guide update.

Krayt
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Tim, I think the biggest problem with depictions of the characters post NJO would be that a lot of the artists would draw too much reference from pre NJO. In doing such a project, I would hope that whoever was in charge would tell the artists to have a read of the books and remember to age the characters. I know I could flip back in this thread to see the exact picture but I believe the picture of Mara fighting the Vong picture still makes Mara look young and I think the outfit is slightly off. I would have to look at the picture and read what Mara was wearing on that trip but I do believe it was more of a containment suit if I recall correctly. But it's artistic license....

To me, it just seems that when we read novels, we all get a picture in our head. However, those pictures don't line up from person to person. So when an artist does a picture of something from a book people will say it's wrong because it's not how they pictured it

Revanfan1
10-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Krayt, Toon - check this out! In the Essential Reader's Companion, there is a picture of a Skywalker/Solo family dinner. Check out Mara's outfit (far right bottom corner).

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/e/e1/Betrayal.jpg

Krayt
10-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Mara outfit looks interesting....
so considering this is NJO at the latest, why does Luke so really, really old?
Also, why does Leia look more like a combination of Leia and Han mixed together

GKinCT
10-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Mara outfit looks interesting....
so considering this is NJO at the latest, why does Luke so really, really old?
Also, why does Leia look more like a combination of Leia and Han mixed together

This scene is supposed to be from the start of the Legacy series actually, that's why Luke looks so old. As for Leia, I'd just blame the artist.

Krayt
10-16-2012, 09:06 PM
so who is the other guy then?
I assumed the two guys to Jaina's right were Jacen and Anakin

Revanfan1
10-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Starting at the top, clockwise: Han, Luke, Ben, Mara, Zekk, Jacen, Jaina, Leia.

It is from the dinner scene near the beginning of Legacy of the Force: Betrayal. Han makes a complaining comment about Zekk not being family, to which Mara replies "Yet." However, that obviously didn't happen, given, you know, Jag and Jaina. :rolleyes: Also, Ben looks just a little too old - at this point, he should be only 13, whereas he looks more like his appearance in Fate of the Jedi, where he is 17.

Masterfett
10-16-2012, 09:33 PM
What's more interesting to me, are the Noghri guards in the background!

Revanfan1
10-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Those are Meewalh and Cakhmaim.

TimArt
10-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Oh boy, as a costume-nerd that picture hurts my heart :(
Unless somebody can tell me its a slumber party scene and they are all in their Pj's?

Sizzzler
10-17-2012, 01:42 AM

What interests me is that they appear to be the exact same figure, just reversed. Some slight paint touch ups to make 'texture' appear a bit differently, but symmetrically the figures are the same.
On the left Noghri we see the left forearm over the right, the left shoulder is more rounded and higher at the head with the right shoulder more extended away from the body (broader), a rounded left eye and right eye as a slit, and the cloak crosses the right over the left at the neck/chest.
This is the exact opposite for the Noghri on the right.

Sizzzler
10-17-2012, 02:14 AM
By symmetrical, I did not mean each Noghri itself was symmetrical. I meant their appearance in the picture was symmetrical to each other, but perhaps a better description is that they are mirror images of each other, which is really what I meant when I said their images appear reversed.

Krayt
10-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Ok, so Ben looks as old as Jacen and Zekk but Jaina looks older than all of them (ironic since her and Jacen are twins).
This isn't a question about the picture but, how come whenever Leia's Noghri bodyguards die she always gets new ones but after Meewalh and Cakhmaim are killed she no longer has any? How many did they replace in the NJO but yet now she doesn't get them?

Toonimator
10-17-2012, 01:19 PM
By Legacy of the Force she was a fully-trained Jedi Knight. Maybe she'd sent word to Honoghr that she truly appreciated their service & sacrifice, but she wouldn't require any more? I dunno.

Mara's outfit is so indistinct as to be worthless there. ALL the outfits are pretty bland & indistinct, and it's hard for me to separate the designs from the style of the artwork, which I'm not a fan of. Artoo looks fantastic, but everyone else feels muddy and Han looks like he'd been working in a coalmine while wearing goggles.

Masterfett
10-17-2012, 01:42 PM
I don't care what they call them as long as we get an Action Figure of them!

But yeah, it's been so long I had forgotten their names.

By symmetrical, I did not mean each Noghri itself was symmetrical. I meant their appearance in the picture was symmetrical to each other, but perhaps a better description is that they are mirror images of each other, which is really what I meant when I said their images appear reversed.
I think all this means is they make one figure into two, put them in a BP with aged Han & Leia! "I see a TRU Exclusive!"

Heck the head sculpt from the new Bespin Leia could work, just add some gray in the hair.:grin:

Krayt
10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
By Legacy of the Force she was a fully-trained Jedi Knight. Maybe she'd sent word to Honoghr that she truly appreciated their service & sacrifice, but she wouldn't require any more? I dunno.

Mara's outfit is so indistinct as to be worthless there. ALL the outfits are pretty bland & indistinct, and it's hard for me to separate the designs from the style of the artwork, which I'm not a fan of. Artoo looks fantastic, but everyone else feels muddy and Han looks like he'd been working in a coalmine while wearing goggles.

Yes Leia is fully trained by LotF but she still had Meewalh and Cakmaim until what the sixth or seventh book in that series.
Not to be nitpicky but wouldn't word go to Wayland not Honoghr?

Revanfan1
10-17-2012, 02:19 PM
It's true that picture does "meld" a little, but that's because it's a scan. I have the book, and trust me, the image looks much better in real life.

Toonimator
10-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes Leia is fully trained by LotF but she still had Meewalh and Cakmaim until what the sixth or seventh book in that series.
Not to be nitpicky but wouldn't word go to Wayland not Honoghr?
Did the Noghri move there? It's been way too long. I was just pleased I pulled Honoghr outta my head! Keeping Meewalh and Cakmaim around could've been an honor thing... like she didn't want to insult or shame them by relieving them of their duty, but once they died maybe it was an opportunity to say "It's time to end this cycle of death. No more Noghri lives need be lost; as a Jedi Knight, I should be able to look after myself" kinda thing, in a way that honors their service & sacrifice & makes clear whatever debt they feel they owe has been paid, or whatever.

Krayt
10-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Yeah, the Noghri get moved to Wayland since they can't bring life back to Honoghr. It has been some time since those books came out so I am not surprised you couldn't remember.. (Either that or you getting old Toon :P) As for why Leia doesn't have the bodyguards, it's not really mentioned so I was just curious. Because she constantly has them and then out of the blue, no more Noghri. Just seemed odd that after all the writing about them that one author wouldn't tackle the reason as to why they are no longer needed. Compare it to Han and Chewy's life debt, they spend books about how Han wants out of that after Chewy's death but the Wookiee's want it to continue.

Imrahil2001
11-09-2012, 10:05 AM

"Cakhmaim"? Really? Who vetted that name?

"Hey, do you know a synonym for injuring male genitals? What's that? GREAT!"

Revanfan1
11-09-2012, 12:49 PM
"Cakhmaim"? Really? Who vetted that name?

Probably the same person who 'vetted' the name Vette. :sneaky:

Imrahil2001
11-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Probably the same person who 'vetted' the name Vette. :sneaky:

Did that make sense? Because I don't think it did.

Krayt
11-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Do you read Star Wars novels? Because I laughed when I read it

Revanfan1
11-09-2012, 02:56 PM

"Vetted"? Her name was "Vette"? Vetted? :P

Imrahil2001
11-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I mean, 'vetted' is an actual term. I wasn't aware there was a character named 'Vette', no.

Do the Noghri use family names first and then first names second? If so, I'd name Cakhmaim's brother Cakhgahbler.

Masterfett
11-09-2012, 09:03 PM
I guess it's no worse than Bollux for a name, right?

Revanfan1
11-09-2012, 11:40 PM
I mean, 'vetted' is an actual term. I wasn't aware there was a character named 'Vette', no.

I know. I was making a joke that they vetted the name Vette.

Imrahil2001
11-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I guess it's no worse than Bollux for a name, right?

I wasn't aware that was an issue until the last 4-5 years. That at least was sort of intentional on Daley's part--he meant it in the sense of "*******sed up" I think--rather than in the sense of "here's a pair of male gametes."

ScorpioAttack
11-25-2012, 12:25 PM
http://www.toymania.com/sites/default/files/images/MaraJade.preview.jpg

This must have been mentioned somewhere in the 100+ pages of discussion, but why the purple sabre again?

I realise she does have a purple blade at various times like in MotS, but surely her main sabre (and if this is based on her Thrawn-trilogy apperance, her ONLY sabre at the time) is Luke's old one? Or if you like, Anakin's ROTS sabre?

This is the second Mara figure Hasbro have given us where I've had to find a spare Luke hilt and sabre to make it right.

Masterfett
11-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Well personally I don't mind her getting a totally different LS, it's nice to have a variety of hilts.
And as you mention you can always give her a spare one from Luke, especially since they're all over the place.

I do have to say as useless as this figure is, since we basically already have it.
The head sculpt turned out really nice, very good detail on the hair even!

Can't say that I want her for Mara, but I'll definitely pick her up for customizing!
If the hair is removable I can already see using it for a couple things.

minerjem
11-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Masterfett, you've got me thinking with the "we already have it" quote you wrote. Isn't that what the line is all about? Next year we'll get yet ANOTHER A wing pilot, and some folks will rebuild clone armies with the VC45 sculpt to replace the armies built of ROTS 41 sculpts, and not to mention ANOTHER Darth Vader just to name a few.

That said, I'll take an updated Mara over another CW Obi or Anakin any day.

Krayt
11-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes we are getting Mara, but it's not Mara Jade Skywalker it's Emperor's Hand Mara

okcomputer
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Do the Noghri use family names first and then first names second? If so, I'd name Cakhmaim's brother Cakhgahbler.

Well played. :)

FDOIRex
12-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Masterfett, you've got me thinking with the "we already have it" quote you wrote. Isn't that what the line is all about? Next year we'll get yet ANOTHER A wing pilot, and some folks will rebuild clone armies with the VC45 sculpt to replace the armies built of ROTS 41 sculpts, and not to mention ANOTHER Darth Vader just to name a few.

That said, I'll take an updated Mara over another CW Obi or Anakin any day.

Ad then EpVII comes out, and we get EVEN MORE characters to rehash ad infinitum!

John_Solo
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm buying that figure for sure.

my_kind_of_scum
12-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Ad then EpVII comes out, and we get EVEN MORE characters to rehash ad infinitum!
And I will complain eventually quite loudly about our 200th Luke, but I'll be in line at midnight madness at TRU (if I'm alive) and psyched to buy Jedi Master Luke - I guarantee it. ;)

okcomputer
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Mara looks friggin great. The holster is a tad bulky, but otherwise it's perfect.

Is this a Wave 1 (easy to find) figure?

my_kind_of_scum
12-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I believe it is wave two.

Revanfan1
12-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Is this a Wave 1 (easy to find) figure?

Hasbro ain't that smart.

tychocorde
12-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Yeah any hopes of finding this in stores is slim, I am guessing it will start at what $50 on ebay? Which is sad because I want this on my Sky/Solo shelf. I still have the original Expanded Universe Luke/Mara displayed because the newest comic pack one was just awful.

John_Solo
12-05-2012, 01:55 PM
She makes for a nice little evolution of action figures. It's amazing how far we've come:
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2EUmarajadefr.jpghttp://www.rebelscum.com/TAC/TACcomic10maraFR.jpghttp://www.toymania.com/sites/default/files/images/MaraJade.preview.jpg

Revanfan1
12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah any hopes of finding this in stores is slim, I am guessing it will start at what $50 on ebay? Which is sad because I want this on my Sky/Solo shelf. I still have the original Expanded Universe Luke/Mara displayed because the newest comic pack one was just awful.

Which is why I'll be ordering it on Amazon as soon as I see it.

my_kind_of_scum
12-05-2012, 05:39 PM
I highly doubt the final figure will look as good as that prototype does. They rarely do.

okcomputer
12-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Which is why I'll be ordering it on Amazon as soon as I see it.

Me too. I might even preorder it.

Masterfett
12-06-2012, 01:14 AM
She makes for a nice little evolution of action figures. It's amazing how far we've come.
Would have been much better had the third evolution been something totally differently looking!
3 figures over the span of 15 years, and the only thing different are paint apps and articulation.:\

John_Solo
12-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Would have been much better had the third evolution been something totally differently looking!
3 figures over the span of 15 years, and the only thing different are paint apps and articulation.:\

I know she went on to other things (married Luke, I think?), but I only ever read the Thrawn trilogy (and the phenomenal comic adaptation of Heir), so this is the only outfit I know her in. So, it works for me. :)

tychocorde
12-06-2012, 12:52 PM
She makes for a nice little evolution of action figures. It's amazing how far we've come:
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2EUmarajadefr.jpghttp://www.rebelscum.com/TAC/TACcomic10maraFR.jpghttp://www.toymania.com/sites/default/files/images/MaraJade.preview.jpg

It is a nice evolution, my comic pack figure though had a horrible paint app, hence displaying my older version.

Imrahil2001
12-06-2012, 01:19 PM

Don't you mean: "You've come a long way, baby"? Or am I too old for this forum?

John_Solo
12-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Don't you mean: "You've come a long way, baby"? Or am I too old for this forum?

Well, it is a cigarette ad. ;)

Imrahil2001
12-06-2012, 11:29 PM
As I understand it from fanboys, Mara Jade is "smokin'."

GNT
12-07-2012, 03:27 AM

At least that's better then Hasbro trying for 35 years to get Tatooine Luke right, 15 years ain't looking so bad now ;)

my_kind_of_scum
12-07-2012, 03:32 AM

Which is made worse by the fact that this third figures is supposedly a fan's choice figure and it isn't at all what the fans asked for...

Vorax
12-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Thinking of giving her Windu's Jedi Starfighter as her personal craft, seems to suit her well.

Revanfan1
12-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Thinking of giving her Windu's Jedi Starfighter as her personal craft, seems to suit her well.

In the absence of a Z-95 Headhunter....yeah, I guess that works.

Bosski
12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Meh...not too excited about this figure. My Black Widow figure from The Avengers makes a perfect Mara Jade.

TazzMission28
12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Meh...not too excited about this figure. My Black Widow figure from The Avengers makes a perfect Mara Jade.

im suprised nobody used that to make a mara custom

Revanfan1
12-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Yeah....it was probably because they knew this was coming. :P

TazzMission28
12-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah....it was probably because they knew this was coming. :P

customizers amaze me they really do. i think they do much better work than hasbro at times

its a shame really such talent is over looked because they can really be better for the company.

Masterfett
12-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Well considering ScarJo looks nothing like Mara, I can say I'm not surprised.
I did however use the Shae Vizla head for BW, and it looks almost better. Definitely meaner than the original head.

But yeah I can't imagine too many people are customizing any Mara figs considering this new one is coming.

Krayt
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
In the absence of a Z-95 Headhunter....yeah, I guess that works.

Lego just put out a Headhunter
comes with Krell too

Where are your versions Hasbro?

Revanfan1
12-29-2012, 02:38 PM
A Lego Headhunter that comes with Krell....is it a Z-95 or Z-85? That would be cool to see.

Oddball_Fett
12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
A Lego Headhunter that comes with Krell....is it a Z-95 or Z-85? That would be cool to see.

No such thing as a Z-85, it was a typo. Lego Z-95 here:

75004 Z-95 Headhunter - Brickipedia, the LEGO Wiki (http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/75004_Z-95_Headhunter)

Revanfan1
12-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Oh, I thought it was a Z-85...I see that typo a lot.

Krayt
12-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Z-95, the same one that Mara had

Bosski
01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Well considering ScarJo looks nothing like Mara, I can say I'm not surprised.
I did however use the Shae Vizla head for BW, and it looks almost better. Definitely meaner than the original head.

But yeah I can't imagine too many people are customizing any Mara figs considering this new one is coming.

I tried that, but her head didn't fit the ball on the neck post. What did you do to make the head fit?

my_kind_of_scum
01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
A Dremel is your friend. ;)

R1G4R3PO
01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
with the latest news, i would hope that Mara (being fan choice winner) would be one of the ones selected to get released in the new line early on. Honestly, i can wait for OT-3D for any OT figs incl any TPM. All planned AOTC/ROTS should get first priority this fall to coincide w/ films, even the 4 RCW could be released, maybe the MIA Utai as well.
This is not my favorite Mara sculpt/outfit but I still feel this on should be a priority to get out asap

Masterfett
01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
I tried that, but her head didn't fit the ball on the neck post. What did you do to make the head fit?
I use hot glue and lube.
First sparingly coat the ball area of the post with lubricant, then fill the head 1/2 to 3/4 w/hot glue.
place the head onto the post at the position that looks good to you, then let set for 5-10 minutes.
Then trim any excess/visible glue.

So I'm curious where this does leave Mara, will she be on TVC card or pushed back into the Yoda card?

JediMerc
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM

As long as the ball joint on the neck post is in the same relative area (in terms of size), you can use blue poster tack. Just a bit, wrapped around the neck post, will allow the head to stay on tight while still allowing movement. You can find it with the adhesives for around $2 at any home improvement store. I use it all the time for head sculpts that are too large for the neck post.

my_kind_of_scum
01-04-2013, 07:40 PM
with the latest news, i would hope that Mara (being fan choice winner) would be one of the ones selected to get released in the new line early on. Honestly, i can wait for OT-3D for any OT figs incl any TPM. All planned AOTC/ROTS should get first priority this fall to coincide w/ films, even the 4 RCW could be released, maybe the MIA Utai as well.
This is not my favorite Mara sculpt/outfit but I still feel this on should be a priority to get out asap

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for that Mia second Utai. The sculpt was great!

So I'm curious where this does leave Mara, will she be on TVC card or pushed back into the Yoda card?

from what rocha ot was speculating in the general thread, there would be no new releases at all until the new card. If so, Mara either comes with the initial push behind the pt 3d films or they hold her to release alongside the ot stuff in 2014...

my_kind_of_scum
01-04-2013, 07:41 PM
That should read richalot. Freakin' auto correct and no edit button... Sorry for post padding.

Revanfan1
02-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Confirmed to still be coming via Toyfair 2013! Yay!

trandoshanhunter
02-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Confirmed to still be coming via Toyfair 2013! Yay!
Thank the heavens! The only figure from Droid Factory I was really interested in(other than the BADs themselves).

Revanfan1
02-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I know, right? Actually, it would be more accurate to say she was the only one I was worried about. I figured the clones would be coming out one way or another anyway, but I was kind of worried about Mara.

Krayt
02-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Glad this one is still coming because wave 1 looks like absolute crap

Galactic_Emperor
02-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Well they have to release her this year, after all she's the fans' choice winner.

Revanfan1
02-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Well, if she's the final EU figure for the forseeable future...then I almost feel responsible to buy her.

Krayt
02-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Well, if she's the final EU figure for the forseeable future...then I almost feel responsible to buy her.

If she is the only EU for the forseeable future then I might be done with Hasbro

Galactic_Emperor
02-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Agreed. I wasn't expecting much from this TF but I was hoping we'd at least get some info on the TOR figures.

Revanfan1
02-09-2013, 08:53 PM
If she is the only EU for the forseeable future then I might be done with Hasbro

I'm fairly sure I won't be buying many figures after Mara...if at all. Older figures, maybe. Hello, Lego!

Revanfan1
02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
I meant until Episode 7, of course. No edit...

Krayt
02-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I wasn't expecting much from ToyFair. I do into these events with no expectations, that way I wouldn't be disappointed. However, this one has left me thinking it's time to give up on Hasbro. The character selection is terrible and they want to compound that not just doing it in the 3 3/4 line but in 6" and 12" as well.

As an EU fan, Hasbro has really pissed me off. They keep saying how stuff is on the way and then they say they plan on giving us at least one EU figure per wave. Now after today, aside from Mara it would seem EU is completely off the table.

Once the Mara wave is out then I think I am out... Hasbro I will give my money elsewhere if you don't want it

Yodaminch
02-09-2013, 09:08 PM
I too found the Star Wars display to be as bad as expected. Thankfully Marvel's presentation was a bit better so Hasbro can continue to take my money there.

As to this year:

Padme is the only figure I want from wave 1.
I'll buy the wave 2 case to get Mara.
After that, we'll see.

Krayt
02-09-2013, 09:19 PM
I read the live blog as TF was going.
Transformers/Joes/Marvel all seem to have some cool to great stuff coming. SW, nothing....

Galactic_Emperor
02-09-2013, 10:17 PM
I agree with everything you said, Krayt, but keep in mind they cancelled the Legacy collection and pushed all the figures back to this Fall. I expected to see the exact same figures we've seen at Celebration VI and... they did not disappoint. I knew 2013 would be a crappy year for SW collectors, but I think we should wait till the end of the year to see what they'll have for us in 2014.

2014 has to be epic, Hasbro, if you disappoint me, you won't see my money again. I'll spend it on Marvel and GI Joe stuff instead hahaha.... oh wait.

Krayt
02-09-2013, 10:50 PM
I fully expected the figures we saw last year that were to come in Legacy to be pushed to Black Series, however they have taken some out (Looking at your realistic Rex). However when you say you are doing all new sculpts of classic characters, to me that screams to me you are only doing main type characters from the movies. EU out, CW out, background filler out.... The things I want they don't seem to want to do. Look at the fan polls, what are collectors asking for is those things. So how can it be a collector line when the things we ask for are the things they won't give us.

Add to the fact that Hasbro has lied to us yet again.... Last year (SDCC) they told us we were getting an EU figure per wave. 6 months later they tell us we aren't getting those anymore... Hasbro can't be honest with us and it's the crap I want that they keep taking away. TOR I doubt we will see those figures that were supposed to be in a battle pack.

my_kind_of_scum
02-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Did they actually say No more EU?

Krayt
02-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Did they actually say No more EU?

The wording I read was focus on movie characters.
They haven't flat out said no EU but it's been hinted. Especially when they start talking about classic figures

Galactic_Emperor
02-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Nah the focus on movie characters is for the 6" figures only:

"The Black series 6-inch figures will start with four characters [...] At this time, the plan is to go with 75 percent Original Trilogy to 25 percent Prequel Trilogy character ratio. The focus of the line is fan favorites and best of characters. At this time secondary and tertiary characters are not in the plans, and neither are Clone Wars or Expanded Universe characters"

Also, don't forget there are only 14 figures in the first 2 waves, while Hasbro said 19 will be released this year. There is going to be a 3rd wave, probably for the end of the year.

Krayt
02-10-2013, 12:22 AM
If 6" is fan favourites and best of characters then why is the Sandtrooper being done?

Pretty sure, there was talk that 3 3/4 line was talking about movie focus as well

EnigmaticOne
02-10-2013, 02:38 AM
From JTA (http://Question: Will EU and TCW figures be included in the Black Series 6-inch line or will it only include film characters? ANSWER: Classic characters from the films are only under consideration at the moment for the 6&quot; Black Series line. Depending upon how successful the line is, Hasbro may consider heading to the Expanded Universe for the line.)

Question: Will EU and TCW figures be included in the Black Series 6-inch line or will it only include film characters?

ANSWER: Classic characters from the films are only under consideration at the moment for the 6" Black Series line. Depending upon how successful the line is, Hasbro may consider heading to the Expanded Universe for the line.

Nothing for 3.75". But CW will be phased out into the realistic line. I still want that Rex!

Galactic_Emperor
02-10-2013, 08:42 AM
If 6" is fan favourites and best of characters then why is the Sandtrooper being done?

Pretty sure, there was talk that 3 3/4 line was talking about movie focus as well

Because the ultimate sandtrooper fan works at Hasbro.

That, or there's a powerful sandtrooper lobby no one knows about.

Krayt
02-10-2013, 11:30 AM
It's funny because someone mentioned that Hasbro is focusing on the top 12-16 figures/characters from the movies for 6" line. Sandtrooper isn't even top 20 from the OT, so how does that fit in. I really can't figure out this made love that Hasbro has with the Sandtrooper.

EnigmaticOne
I get that there was talk about the 6" line being classic movie character driven. But then why is it that the first two waves of the 3 3/4 line the only figures that I can tell that have been removed from what we were shown at SDCC is CW Mace and Rex? I really do think that Hasbro is moving away from CW and EU in general. CW figures are only going to be in the Saga Legends (or whatever it's called) crap 5 POA line. And where is the news that we were supposed to get of TOR figures they have been promising us for like a year?

JediMerc
02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
It's funny because someone mentioned that Hasbro is focusing on the top 12-16 figures/characters from the movies for 6" line. Sandtrooper isn't even top 20 from the OT, so how does that fit in.

I would think a Stormtrooper, as iconic as they are, would have to be included in the first 2 waves of TBS (6-inch series); maybe they just went with the pauldron/gear to give people more to look at in the package and think it's more worth their money? That's all I can think of.

The wording I read was focus on movie characters.
They haven't flat out said no EU but it's been hinted.

This has been the standard line regarding EU for every single thing they do. We EU fans need to keep clamoring and, eventually, we get what we want...mostly. Look at recent TVC; Hasbro was starting to open up a bit more. (Plus, with Episode VII on its way, we'll get plenty of new characters/etc. on the way!)

my_kind_of_scum
02-10-2013, 12:44 PM
So, did Hasbro mention at toy fair if the jedi version of Mara (you know, the one that actually won the fan's choice poll) was still on the way?

Krayt
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Well once it's in VII then it's no longer EU...
We haven't gotten what we have clamoured for. There is a bone here or there thrown to us but first chance they get, they back track. Hasbro finally said that in each wave moving forward we would get an EU figure. Now, there is none in Wave 1 and Wave 2 gets Mara because she won the fan poll. Any other EU on the horizon? The TOR figures seemed to have disappeared that we were supposed to get.

As for Jedi Mara, I am pretty sure that is what they are calling the Mara we are getting in Wave 2. According to Hasbro

Galactic_Emperor
02-10-2013, 01:52 PM
So, did Hasbro mention at toy fair if the jedi version of Mara (you know, the one that actually won the fan's choice poll) was still on the way?

Yes, she'll be released in the 2nd wave. Someone posted a picture from Hasbro's slideshow but I can't find it anymore. The 2nd wave will look like this:

• Mara Jade (Fans' Choice winner)
• Luminara Unduli
• Pablo Jill
• Stormtrooper
• Clone trooper (212th?)
• R2-D2 RR

Revanfan1
02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Oh, they only said no EU for 6"? That makes me a little hopeful.

my_kind_of_scum
02-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes, she'll be released in the 2nd wave. Someone posted a picture from Hasbro's slideshow but I can't find it anymore. The 2nd wave will look like this:

• Mara Jade (Fans' Choice winner)
• Luminara Unduli
• Pablo Jill• Stormtrooper
• Clone trooper (212th?)
• R2-D2 RR

That's not the jedi version. When she was originally unveiled last year, it was pointed out to Hasbro that they had made the incorrect version. They then said that a Jedi version would be coming as well. Not sure if I believe them...

And Krayt - what makes you think Mara would be in episode 7? Even if they do follow EU (which is somewhat doubtful at this point), Mara wouldn't be around at that point.

Revanfan1
02-10-2013, 02:38 PM
That's not the jedi version. When she was originally unveiled last year, it was pointed out to Hasbro that they had made the incorrect version. They then said that a Jedi version would be coming as well. Not sure if I believe them...

And Krayt - what makes you think Mara would be in episode 7? Even if they do follow EU (which is somewhat doubtful at this point), Mara wouldn't be around at that point.

I hope they end up doing the Jedi version, too! I'm glad the whole no-more-EU appears to be a misunderstanding and they were talking about in the 6" line.

Also, it's possible they could keep the characters' names (Mara, Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Ben) and change the stories.

Masterfett
02-10-2013, 02:46 PM
If she is the only EU for the foreseeable future then I might be done with Hasbro
Same here!
Aside from EU and a few OT backgrounders, there just isn't much left for me to get excited about anymore.
I think the statement I made about 2013 being my last year will come true after all.

While the ST may breed new life into the line, I can't say I'm on board if I have to sacrifice existing EU figures that I have wanted for years!

So what does that mean for the unreleased TOR figures we were supposed to get this year, namely Satele Shan?!
IMO the void before the new movies come out, is the perfect chance to get several EU figures done.
As well as some unmade PT Jedi that currently are in limbo.

Also there is no reason why everything planned for BAD couldn't have been moved to TBS.

Imrahil2001
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Oh, they only said no EU for 6"? That makes me a little hopeful.

I know, I'm very hopeful that the 6" line will be mostly good! OT-focus! No EU! Incredible detail, massive articulation--what's not to love?

Revanfan1
02-10-2013, 04:38 PM
I know, I'm very hopeful that the 6" line will be mostly good! OT-focus! No EU! Incredible detail, massive articulation--what's not to love?

I meant hopeful that there would be more 3 3/4" EU, but you knew that...

Krayt
02-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Talked with Curto and asked for his take...
He said that 6" is focusing on the movies only right now. 3 3/4 the main drive is movie characters, he said with the occasional TCW figure with little to no EU. So he agrees that Hasbro is getting away from EU as much as possible it would seem.

Galactic_Emperor
02-10-2013, 05:07 PM
They then said that a Jedi version would be coming as well. Not sure if I believe them...
Really? I completely missed that then. o-o

Revanfan1
02-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Talked with Curto and asked for his take...
He said that 6" is focusing on the movies only right now. 3 3/4 the main drive is movie characters, he said with the occasional TCW figure with little to no EU. So he agrees that Hasbro is getting away from EU as much as possible it would seem.

Awww, that stinks. I was sad, then happy...now I am sad again.

Krayt
02-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Awww, that stinks. I was sad, then happy...now I am sad again.

Sorry Revan, didn't mean to disappoint you.
Just wanted to make sure that we are on the same page as to what to expect...

Wait a minute, when did Hasbro say we were getting a different Jedi Mara?

Revanfan1
02-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Well, I'm definitely preordering this on Amazon ASAP when it's put out, because since they'll be making very few EU figures in the future, this one's price will probably skyrocket.

EnigmaticOne
02-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Well, I'm definitely preordering this on Amazon ASAP when it's put out, because since they'll be making very few EU figures in the future, this one's price will probably skyrocket.

I should prepare as well. It seems this is the only figure wanted by everyone (not to mention she did win the poll).

DarthSharky
02-11-2013, 08:22 PM
So are Rex and CW Mace still coming?

my_kind_of_scum
02-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Part three of jeditemplearchives' q and a says all 19 of the black series figures for this year are from the cancelled bad line. I would assume that means mace and Rex are still on the way.

Krayt
02-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Part three of jeditemplearchives' q and a says all 19 of the black series figures for this year are from the cancelled bad line. I would assume that means mace and Rex are still on the way.

In other Q&A, Hasbro has said that the only CW figures moving forward will be in realistic style in the Legends line. So we are only getting CW in 5 POA. So to me that means Rex and Mace have been cancelled

EnigmaticOne
02-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Damn it Hasbro, be forward with us!

And if some figures will be a bit further retooled, maybe it does mean Rex gets the extra phaseII helmet like Fordo.

Even if a figure is good "enough", if it isn't perfect, Hasbro will retool what needs to be fixed to make this line truly collector-focused.

Revanfan1
05-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Wonder when an estimated release is for this wave? If the first wave is August, this is September, right? I want to get this, and preorder like I did with the Republic Trooper is absolutely the best option.

Krayt
05-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Wasn't it said that waves would be six weeks apart?
It's been awhile, so I don't recall exactly anymore

my_kind_of_scum
05-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Wasn't it said that waves would be six weeks apart?
It's been awhile, so I don't recall exactly anymore

Yeah, they said 4-6 weeks apart. That's all depending on retailers, though, not Hasbro. Hasbro can control production, but doesn't have a lot of control over how much and when stores order more product.

Revanfan1
06-25-2013, 11:15 PM
A guy on TheForce.Net called Hasbro for details on Mara Jade. Guess what?

She's been cancelled. (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/mara-jade-skywalker-black-series-cancelled.50013216/#post-50819076)

I need to go cry myself to sleep now. The only figure from the line I really, really wanted. Cancelled. Yeehaw. :'(

Yodaminch
06-25-2013, 11:25 PM
I call BS. She was the Fan's Choice winner. I'll believe it when I hear it from Hasbro.

GrandAdmiralJSK
06-25-2013, 11:35 PM
If this is true I may check out completely of this series. It was one of the few figures I wanted, it won the fan's choice (when has a winning fans choice not been made before?), and was quite a stellar looking figure even if it wasn't "jedi" mara.

Rune_Haako
06-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Seems like something Hasbro would do.

trandoshanhunter
06-26-2013, 12:00 AM

She's been cancelled. (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/mara-jade-skywalker-black-series-cancelled.50013216/#post-50819076)

I need to go cry myself to sleep now. The only figure from the line I really, really wanted. Cancelled. Yeehaw. :'(
I'm not believing it till Hasbro officially confirms it.

EnigmaticOne
06-26-2013, 12:51 AM
Yeah.. I'll wait for Hasbro's word.

Although it does sounds like something they might do.

Choi
06-26-2013, 08:24 AM

-I don't think so. She's already shown up in the case assortment for Wave 2, remember? Add to that the fact that she's a FAN'S CHOICE FIGURE and I don't think even Hasbro would be that insanly stupid.

R1G4R3PO
06-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Sounds like a possible reference to the mara jade release from "tlc/drod factory" line that was cancelled not the reissued black series version.
Besides "calling" hasbro isn't very productive. Think back at confusion w/ upcs for mailaways, many folks including myself, called hasbro and depending who you talked to, you got a different answer...so take that MJ cancelled rumor w/ a grain of salt..no offense to anyone

Revanfan1
06-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Well hopefully there was just a foul-up in the communications, and she's still coming. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Darth_Bones
06-26-2013, 12:22 PM
According to the article I just read at JTA it says that she is already "confirmed" as coming!!!

PadmeLeiaJaina
06-26-2013, 02:29 PM
This could be a last minute thing. If Mara is being removed I'm guessing the Mouse is responsible, not Hasbro.

Choi
06-26-2013, 06:33 PM
This could be a last minute thing. If Mara is being removed I'm guessing the Mouse is responsible, not Hasbro.

-Either way, if she is canceled, I'm predicting a business boom for the sellers of torches and pitchforks :P

Michael_Knight
06-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Sounds like a possible reference to the mara jade release from "tlc/drod factory" line that was cancelled not the reissued black series version.
Besides "calling" hasbro isn't very productive. Think back at confusion w/ upcs for mailaways, many folks including myself, called hasbro and depending who you talked to, you got a different answer...so take that MJ cancelled rumor w/ a grain of salt..no offense to anyone

Yeah, this is what I am inclined to believe happened. Hasbro would be Loony Toons to drop that figure.

Masterfett
06-27-2013, 09:25 PM
If this is true I may check out completely of this series. It was one of the few figures I wanted, it won the fan's choice (when has a winning fans choice not been made before?), and was quite a stellar looking figure even if it wasn't "jedi" mara.
I whole heartedly agree!
I'm not saying I believe it, but if this happens I will not buy a singe TBS figure!
They can choke on the line for all I care!

So hopefully for everyone's sake, it's not true!!

UKHistory
07-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Mara is a great character and I would very much like to see Hasbro give it the old college try and make another version of her. We have two right now. Third time is a charm?

I whole heartedly agree!
I'm not saying I believe it, but if this happens I will not buy a singe TBS figure!
They can choke on the line for all I care!

So hopefully for everyone's sake, it's not true!!

okcomputer
07-06-2013, 03:10 PM
No way is Mara cancelled. There's just no way Hasbro would put $$$ into new tooling and then just cancel the whole thing, especially when it's already been solicited as part of a new series. In the 18 years I've been collecting SW figures, the only thing I can remember being cancelled outright and then never seeing the light of day was that Wookiee & Noghri comic pack.

TilltheEnd
07-06-2013, 03:35 PM
No way is Mara cancelled. There's just no way Hasbro would put $$$ into new tooling and then just cancel the whole thing, especially when it's already been solicited as part of a new series. In the 18 years I've been collecting SW figures, the only thing I can remember being cancelled outright and then never seeing the light of day was that Wookiee & Noghri comic pack.

There was also the Cad Bane in clone trooper armor that was scheduled for a single card release that got bumped to a battle pack. But other than that I can't think of any other straight up cancellations.

Darth_Bones
07-06-2013, 05:43 PM

No worries, this figure has already been "confirmed" as it's already in Walmarts computer system!!!

Masterfett
07-06-2013, 09:53 PM
In the 18 years I've been collecting SW figures, the only thing I can remember being cancelled outright and then never seeing the light of day was that Wookiee & Noghri comic pack.
There are actually a lot more, we just don't know because it was before the time of internet leaks!
So it's not totally impossible for them to can Mara, based on other decisions they've made. But I don't think they would at this juncture.

Toonimator
07-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Would those Target deluxe accessory sets count? I know they'd worked up a Gamorrean Guard one with the POTF2 sculpt; it was gonna be the first time we saw the pikes the guards used to block Luke in the palace, but I don't know if it made it outta prototype stage before Hasbro canceled that exclusive line. Glad we FINALLY got those pikes with the VOTC Gamorrean!

Michael_Knight
07-08-2013, 06:06 PM
The second Utai stands out as the most prominent example of a figure that even made it to almost being officially shown at Comic Con but then got nixed. I really wish they would just getting around to releasing it.

Revanfan1
07-16-2013, 06:05 PM
She doesn't appear with the rest of wave 2 (yet). I find your lack of Mara disturbing.

But seriously, we've only seen 3 figures for wave 2 so far; I still have hope.

trandoshanhunter
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Carded pic of Mara is up! (You may have to scroll down a bit)

- 2013 Black Series 3 3/4inch Wave 2 (http://forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=526)

Looks pretty good.

R1G4R3PO
07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
..and who said, she's been cancelled...lol

wish it was a different outfit, but nonetheless, one will be added to my collection, heck maybe 2, one to keep as a careded bs line samople

Rune_Haako
07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
She looks pretty good.

GGC
07-17-2013, 02:01 PM
High Res - Hot off the Press!

http://yodasnews.net/HasbroHR2013/blacknewyn6.jpg

EmperorPalpitate
07-17-2013, 02:13 PM
This may be the first EU figure I every buy....but I'm gonna turn her into the Baroness, heh. Nicely done female fig.

Cell
07-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Wow! She looks hot - even better than the prototype. Definite buy for me.

TilltheEnd
07-17-2013, 02:38 PM
There has been a change though hasn't there? Wasn't this supposed to be Mara Jade Skywalker? If so I wondered if that change came down from Lucasfilm and/or Disney.