PDA

View Full Version : SSC 1:1 TOR Darth Malgus

PoloTheJedi
08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
It is at the GamesCon in Germany on the Bioware Booth, a Darth Malgus Life Size by Sideshow.

http://www2.mintinbox.net/site/actus/11-08/1808side_malgus/1.jpg

http://www.mintinbox.net/Actus/11-08/1808side_malgus

Woody
08-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Wow! Wonder if it's a one off promo item or if it's going to be see production?

I'm hoping for Malgus in a slightly more affordable and smaller format. I'd certainly be down for a PF, 1:1 bust or even a LSF. I would settle for a 1/6th scale figure though.

Chris Wyman
08-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Interesting that something this big wouldn't have been debuted at SDCC. Looks pretty darn epic.

deathstar1000
08-18-2011, 01:52 PM
AWESOME! I'd prefer a PF though due to price. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vitus
08-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Holy... I hope I see him at c6 http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_Chosen_1
08-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Makes no sense to do this as a 1:1 scale figure, but a PF would be great!

ddoughboy1978
08-18-2011, 08:36 PM
He is definite [censored]... Would I pay for it is a totally different subject though

DarthBeek
08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Looks like something out of Mortal Combat.

GKinCT
08-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Vey cool, though I doubt I'll ever actually own one. If it was Revan or Malak, maybe I'd start saving up...

SirTristram
08-18-2011, 11:11 PM
What ..... The ...

I'm sorry, but really, WTF? Is this going to be for sale or is this a one-off?

Vitus
08-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I wonder who made the lifesize starkiller. I saw one in SF when i was there last year

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/euro/Win_TFU2s_Starkiller_Lifesize_Statue_134841.asp

Vitus
08-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Looks like something out of Mortal Combat.

Don't you mean SoulCaliber? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rodders
08-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I'd imagine that this would be a one off for publicty reasons. Still, it's nice and who knows, maybe it'll be up for a charity raffle or auction later on.

Jedi_Eeth_Koth
08-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Really strange. I can't see them making their money back on this character in this format. Hopefully, this is a one-shot publicity item. Not trying to bash the EU, but this seems just a little over-the-top given the other EU character options that could/should come first.

SirTristram
08-22-2011, 01:16 PM
This sort of manufacturing just bodes well for marketable characters in this format, such as the ones they have already mentioned: Clonetrooper and Stromtrooper!!!

I think there is a real market for these 1:1....they should explore more, like Chewbacca, Vader, Boba Fett, etc....

Titan_Shore
08-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Hope this will be in PF ..

SirTristram
08-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Hope this will be in PF ..

I'd buy one!

IndianaKenobi
09-03-2011, 06:45 AM
This a reason I dislike a lot of the EU.

The character looks too Sci-Fi and too similar to the film designs too have existed 3,000 years prior to the Saga; the character should be designed in such a way that it's believable he lived three millennia prior. The designs should be distinctly period (i.e. crafted armor, distinctly archaic design, etc). But I digress...

SirTristram
09-03-2011, 10:07 AM
This a reason I dislike a lot of the EU.

The character looks too Sci-Fi and too similar to the film designs too have existed 3,000 years prior to the Saga; the character should be designed in such a way that it's believable he lived three millennia prior. The designs should be distinctly period (i.e. crafted armor, distinctly archaic design, etc). But I digress...

I never understand this kind of thinking....Why would you believe that a civilization comprised of an absolutely mind-bloggling consortium of worlds would have to have technology inferior to that of the original trilogy timeframe?

Once a civilization reaches a point of incredibly advanced technology, why could they not plateau and keep the same tech for centuries, even millennia? Look at evolution...Sharks have changed very little over the years because they have reached the apex of their evolutionary track/state. So goes some of the worlds in the Star Wars universe. It is so short sited and obtuse to think otherwise.

Take some of our own civilizations on this planet as an example...look at our modern cities...High Tech and they keep growing....Where some places in the world live as they have for hundreds of years. Sometimes civilizations just stop advancing or advance in different way, not necessarily via technology or clothing.

This is all I heard when the Phantom Menace was released and I never understood why? Especially with that film/story...it was only a few decades prior to the OT. And why Yoda looked 'younger' is just absurd.

Some people have a very distorted way of looking at this kind of fiction and rationalizing it.

deathstar1000
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I agree with SirT.

Also, if they were to change the look, why call it Star Wars? Then it could just be any other SciFi game.

ambasah
10-31-2011, 11:39 AM
well, this thing is official. very curious to go the 1:1 route for someone so obscure, even if it looks fantastic.

if they are doing a 1:1 of this, vader can't be too far behind.

Sergiu
10-31-2011, 11:45 AM
well, this thing is official. very curious to go the 1:1 route for someone so obscure, even if it looks fantastic.

if they are doing a 1:1 of this, vader can't be too far behind.

Even so, that Vader 1:1 might look bad, since SS is not known for accuracy. And the price will be insane (we are talking about Vader)

SirTristram
10-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I cannot imagine what the motivation for producing this as a 1:1 would be!?
I would not have blinked if it were a 1:4 version, but 1:1? WTF?!?!
Sideshow sure are a complicated and wily bunch! How could they not have gone with Vader or at least a Stormtrooper? What happened to the 1:1 Clonetrooper we saw a prototype for and the murmurs of the Stormtrooper? This is the result of 1:1 talks and speculation? This?
See....To me, this is like the housing market.....If a house sells for dirt cheap in an area, if brings the values down of the surrounding homes.....This could wipe out the 1:1 offerings from Sideshow if it sells poorly. I would buy one of these, but if it costs $6K or more? Who would buy this? I would shell out maybe $3K....and that is a big maybe! More than likely, I will be passing on this piece. Shame. Think of the big three baddies which they could have gone with: Vader, Stormtrooper and Boba Fett!!!! BOBA FETT!!!!! Any of those would have sold at the 3PO price tag.

SirTristram
10-31-2011, 02:46 PM
The more I think on this, the more angry I become. What a colossal waste of time, money and resources!

Yeah, it looks cool, but who will fork over the money they are going to want for this? A Character from a game which is NOT EVEN OUT YET?!?!

This was a remarkable missed opportunity! They could have continued their 1:1 offerings with a safe bet....VADER, STORMTROOPER or the ultimate safe bet, BOBA FREAKIN' FETT! Seriously....WTF?!?

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/placed/sp11/preview4-2w16qX33-LG.jpg?ref=spook-prod

deathstar1000
10-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I agree with SirT. Although cool, not life size cool. Reven would have better or if the HAD to have a SWTOR character she would have sold better:

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xn8xieiQ9Ao/TBEXEsPu7WI/AAAAAAAAASw/akmk-DPjc9w/s1600/shaefull.gif&sa=X&ei=kv6uTr2RCuOasgLvlt2bDw&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHr4cGze1Ue1l9zhjOg-eJVCc9PLA

ambasah
10-31-2011, 04:04 PM
I am puzzled by the choice as well...maybe Lucas insisted to promote the game?

anyhow, hopefully the price on the han in carbonite will be announced soon so I can begin the quest to convince my wife that I really need it :boxing:

Calo_Nord
10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Good to see I'm not the only one thinking "WHY?!" sure, the design of the guy looks great, but this game hasn't even been released yet. So what has he done in the Star Wars universe that would warrant a 1:1 scale statue?

In my opinion, they should have went with HK-47 over Malgus, at least he's a bit of a cult favourite and the KoToR has more credibility and success (so far).

RediNight
10-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Is it April first tomorrow? No. WTF is right. I hate this character's costume, it's a damn Vader knock off...again. They must have been commissioned from Lucasarts for adverts and decided to make some money off the work? I can't see this selling. What hardcore TOR fan would spend this kind of cash.

They took a gamble here. Just because its branded SW doesn't mean it's gold. Ridiculous. Even if I had the means of Steve Sansweet I would pass.

Tusken_Raiders
10-31-2011, 06:57 PM
What a bad choice for a 1:1...Its an understandable decision by Sideshow on this character. This doesn't make much business sense...

theforcemonkey
10-31-2011, 07:55 PM
I agree that it's a weird choice, but as I'm hoping to buy one to complete the awesomeness that will be my SWTOR setup, I'm not angry about it. Would've preferred Satele, but it's not going to stop me from grabbing this one. (Hear that? It's my tax return going out the window.)

ddoughboy1978
10-31-2011, 08:52 PM
I think he is awesome... But the price won't. I already scare the kids with a 1:1 bust of vader in the dark, this would definitely keep them down stairs.

The_Chosen_1
10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Terrible, terrible choice for a 1:1 offering. Sideshow is becoming more and more like Gentle Giant, the way they both come completely out of left field with these oddball offerings.

SirTristram
10-31-2011, 11:01 PM
I am so upset, I wrote them an e-mail expressing my feelings. Perhaps if more people do that, they will rethink this horrendous decision and focus on beloved characters which will actually sell enough units to warrant more 1:1 scale pieces of this size!

Sergiu
11-01-2011, 02:22 AM
I totally agree with your opinion that this is a complete waste of time and resources to make an unknown character. Still not sure if a 1:1 Vader statue, Stormtooper or Fett would have been better without a good research first. SS is not known for accuracy, and the life-size droids were a fiasco regarding accuracy, pricing and quality control. Any of the important characters like Vader, Fett and TK can be obtained for way less than a SS 1:1 C-3PO costs and also be more accurate and better made.

People are again reluctant to go the unlicensed way for a life-size Stormie, Vader or Fett waiting to pay a lot more and get a subpar product from a licensed company. Sometimes I think people really don't know what to do with their hard earned (or not) money. These are the same people who are getting Legend Vader and Legend Stormtrooper helmets and who have never seen a fan made item in their lives. Also the same people collecting licensed limited editions only, no matter how good or bad they are.

This is the reason Sideshow is making this. It will sell, no matter what we say and cry about, it is made by SS, so it will sell. You are making it sell. ;)

Medusa
11-01-2011, 04:19 AM
Pretty sure EA/BioWare has ordered some for their promotion tour ... and hey as they did it already for them they just offer it ( produced on order only ) to us.
I do not see any problem and I doubt there have been any extra resources ... so all calm down :)

dinix
11-01-2011, 06:42 AM
looks pretty good, but he looks like he's from MK, not SW :)

doot
11-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Who would buy this?
Who would have even requested this?

The only reason I can think of for this thing ever being made, is someone requested it for a promo item.
And since the mold was made...."well hey, let's try to sell at least a few."

deathstar1000
11-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Pretty sure EA/Bioware/LFL requested the original.

And I wouldn't doubt that LFL requested it to be made too. Don't they do that sometimes?

Keep the edition size at 100 and surely it would sell.

theforcemonkey
11-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Who would buy this?
Who would have even requested this?

The only reason I can think of for this thing ever being made, is someone requested it for a promo item.
And since the mold was made...."well hey, let's try to sell at least a few."

And why not? If they've already got the ability to mass-produce them, let them produce to order, and everyone who wants one gets a freebie, as it were.

SirTristram
11-01-2011, 04:50 PM
It hurts the market for such pieces when an expensive release flops. It costs a lot to tool and manufacture some of these pieces....So, yes, it was cool for a BioWare display, but for retail sale? I hope they make a real small run....Like 50!

RediNight
11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I totally agree with your opinion that this is a complete waste of time and resources to make an unknown character. Still not sure if a 1:1 Vader statue, Stormtooper or Fett would have been better without a good research first. SS is not known for accuracy, and the life-size droids were a fiasco regarding accuracy, pricing and quality control. Any of the important characters like Vader, Fett and TK can be obtained for way less than a SS 1:1 C-3PO costs and also be more accurate and better made.

People are again reluctant to go the unlicensed way for a life-size Stormie, Vader or Fett waiting to pay a lot more and get a subpar product from a licensed company. Sometimes I think people really don't know what to do with their hard earned (or not) money. These are the same people who are getting Legend Vader and Legend Stormtrooper helmets and who have never seen a fan made item in their lives. Also the same people collecting licensed limited editions only, no matter how good or bad they are.

This is the reason Sideshow is making this. It will sell, no matter what we say and cry about, it is made by SS, so it will sell. You are making it sell. ;)

I agree with you. Sideshow gets away with some bad offerings (more often than not anymore) and they make bank off it. Just because it's licensed doesn't mean much. I was more than fine with it when they first released Luke ROTJ, I mean it was way better than Hasbro, though it was twice the price, it was worth it. But since that figure they consistently raise their prices and we get less and less for it. Even if I had 5 grand I would never, ever have bought their life size R2 and 3P0. When MR said they would make Indy products I was stoked. It never happened. We get Sideshow working on it, with the fertility idol and the chalice of Kali, horrible offerings. Yeah, to an average person, who doesn't pay attention they would "work" but not for me. I enjoy studying these things and when I see the inaccuracy it sickens me to see their prices.

darthrage
11-01-2011, 07:21 PM
This was (I believe) at NYCC by the booth for the game and while it looked amazing, is not something I would ever purchase. I wonder if Sideshow did it for a promo piece and then decided to put it up for sale? I imagine it will be made to order, and that there won't be cases of these sitting around in their warehouse.

jediraven82
11-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Don't underestimate the lengths MMO players will go to in support of their games. If TOR is as successful as I think it will be, I think this will sell fine.

Jay_the_Lesser
11-02-2011, 09:27 AM
This is a stupid idea. Sideshow put time and money into developing this? How about Carbonite Han, or some character that people actually want a 1:1 collectible of? Epic fail from Sideshow.

Oh well, this should make the EU fans happy.

ddoughboy1978
11-02-2011, 06:36 PM
i agree, yeah magus is cool but there are characters who should be put way ahead of an EU character

SolidLiquidFox
11-03-2011, 06:49 AM
I am sure there are some video game fans with lots of cash that will pick this up. If this is made to order I can see it selling okay. I agree that this was probably a promo piece that just happened to be mass produced. After going through the trouble of probably being forced to produce by Lucasfilm, they probably said let's make a few more and see what happens.

Why just make 10 for Lucas and friends when you can make more and get a possible discount at the factory?

SirTristram
11-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I am sure there are some video game fans with lots of cash that will pick this up. If this is made to order I can see it selling okay. I agree that this was probably a promo piece that just happened to be mass produced. After going through the trouble of probably being forced to produce by Lucasfilm, they probably said let's make a few more and see what happens.

Why just make 10 for Lucas and friends when you can make more and get a possible discount at the factory?

Good point. Fair enough.

SirTristram
11-03-2011, 03:10 PM
This is the response I received from Sideshow regarding this decision:

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for the email.

As being a long time Sideshow collector you will know that we have a wide range of characters that we like to make and this is another in a long line of that tradition. We are not trying to slap anyone in the face; while it is nice to know that you have strong feelings for our products, we’re sorry to hear that you feel personally insulted by what Sideshow; and more importantly Lucas Ltd, has decided would be made.

We do have the 1:1 Han in Carbonite coming out and more than likely there will be other items as well (they do not tell us in advance what they are doing so I have no info to give). It’s important to understand that Sideshow cannot make whatever we want; everything has to be approved by Lucas Ltd and sometimes certain characters get the go ahead before others. These decisions are not made with the intention of insulting anyone but to shine a light on all corners of the Star Wars Universe as we do not discriminate here.

If you should have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Dean

Processing Coordinator

That was a little snarky....I took at as snarky, at least. ...and we all know how products turn out (sometimes) when LFL forces creative decisions....The Tano lightsaber from eFX anyone?

Write to them if you're PO'd!

deathstar1000
11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Ahsoka's saber turned out great IMO! The edition size was just way too high.

In regards to the the letter, I see nothing snarky about it. Personally, I love the fact that they "shine a light on all corners of the Star Wars Universe as we do not discriminate".

SirTristram
11-03-2011, 04:25 PM

In regards to the the letter, I see nothing snarky about it. Personally, I love the fact that they "shine a light on all corners of the Star Wars Universe as we do not discriminate".

The Ahsoka saber was an epic fail for eFX. They did not want to do that...LFL 'Forced' their hand and made them....Never wise to box the creative people in like that. I understand they must seek approval for pieces from LFL, but Sideshow can certainly make major characters into 1:1 versions!! So the notion that they cannot make whatever they want? It sure looks like they can, by this Malgus decision! :stupid:

MasterAbsinthe
11-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I think the pose look's lame,although when the game comes out he might be cool.And like others have said I have no intrest in this piece.Some of you should give the EU a little more respect it's what kept Star Wars alive from the mid 80's-90's.

SirTristram
11-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I think the pose look's lame,although when the game comes out he might be cool.And like others have said I have no intrest in this piece.Some of you should give the EU a little more respect it's what kept Star Wars alive from the mid 80's-90's. I love the EU and I have read many dozens of books and purchased almost all of the video games....My gripe is with this particular piece. This is not a 12" figure or even a 1/4 PF....this is a whole other ballgame!
I'm almost over it though... :sulkiness:

deathstar1000
11-03-2011, 04:49 PM
...and we all know how products turn out (sometimes) when LFL forces creative decisions....The Tano lightsaber from eFX anyone?

The Ahsoka saber was an epic fail for eFX. They did not want to do that...LFL 'Forced' their hand and made them....

Wait, I thought you were talking about quality of the saber. Not how it well it sold.

Also, keep in mind, just because it's OT or a major character does not make it an epic piece. Look at SS's PFs. For example, ROTJ Luke. You would have thought that would have sold out instantly but it didn't. In fact the exclusive is easily available. On the other hand, you have Talon. Has never appeared in a movie, CW series or game and it's sold out and hard to find.

SirTristram
11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Wait, I thought you were talking about quality of the saber. Not how it well it sold.

Also, keep in mind, just because it's OT or a major character does not make it an epic piece. Look at SS's PFs. For example, ROTJ Luke. You would have thought that would have sold out instantly but it didn't. In fact the exclusive is easily available. On the other hand, you have Talon. Has never appeared in a movie, CW series or game and it's sold out and hard to find.

No, I was talking specifically about the business decision to make a major 1:1 scale piece based on a almost unknown character. It is a expensive and risky move which takes away from other possibilities in the very niche and infrequent 1:1 line!

SirTristram
11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I had another correspondence with him and this was a nice follow-up e-mail....

Chris –

Yeah, perception can be hard to get around. Now if that means that people come down on us for making what they believe to be a head scratching item then we’ll take it on the chin; as we have in the past, because we like all of our partners (not just LFL) to feel comfortable with us.

As for the frequency of the 1:1 items; well, we have been coming out with larger and larger items over the past couple of years and it seems that we are going to keep heading down that road so don’t be surprised to see more 1:1 released a little more often. Again I don’t have specifics but it does seem that the guys in our art department are getting pretty ambitions as of late.

Jeff D

Processing Coordinator

theforcemonkey
11-03-2011, 06:32 PM
This is the response I received from Sideshow regarding this decision:

That was a little snarky....I took at as snarky, at least. ...and we all know how products turn out (sometimes) when LFL forces creative decisions....The Tano lightsaber from eFX anyone?

Write to them if you're PO'd!

Well, judging from the content of his response, I'd say you weren't entirely mature and civil in your letter. Didn't think his response was snarky - in fact, it was surprisingly personal.

Let's read between the lines though.

#1 They are told to make certain items. They were likely told to make this one.

#2 They like variety - meaning they want everyone's money, not just yours.

#3 They're going to make more 1:1 pieces. Translation - chill, dude. Chill.

I get that you would rather have something else, everyone knows your opinion. However, I'm pleased with this one. I'm sure others are too. I'm seriously planning on picking this one up. I have no doubt that a piece you might consider a great decision might be a piece that would be instant pass for me. Sure, this character is "unknown" (he has already appeared in books and comics,) but only for the next 47 days. After that, I guarantee he'll be a known quantity to any SW gamer. I'm pretty stoked for it, because I'm in the beta, and know he's a cool character. I'm not saying you should buy one, because you should always vote with your wallet, but step back for just a second and think, maybe - JUST MAYBE - there are tons of nerds who like Star Wars AND video games, and might find this worth a purchase.

SirTristram
11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Well, judging from the content of his response, I'd say you weren't entirely mature and civil in your letter. Didn't think his response was snarky - in fact, it was surprisingly personal.

Let's read between the lines though.

#1 They are told to make certain items. They were likely told to make this one.

#2 They like variety - meaning they want everyone's money, not just yours.

#3 They're going to make more 1:1 pieces. Translation - chill, dude. Chill.

I get that you would rather have something else, everyone knows your opinion. However, I'm pleased with this one. I'm sure others are too. I'm seriously planning on picking this one up. I have no doubt that a piece you might consider a great decision might be a piece that would be instant pass for me. Sure, this character is "unknown" (he has already appeared in books and comics,) but only for the next 47 days. After that, I guarantee he'll be a known quantity to any SW gamer. I'm pretty stoked for it, because I'm in the beta, and know he's a cool character. I'm not saying you should buy one, because you should always vote with your wallet, but step back for just a second and think, maybe - JUST MAYBE - there are tons of nerds who like Star Wars AND video games, and might find this worth a purchase.

No, it was fine...We had more correspondence than what I posted. It was fine and there was much light conversation at the close of the conversation. My letter was more than civil and 'mature'...(I hate that word and connotation). That is not in question. Jeff and I discussed perception and fanatic passion vs. business decisions and obligations. ...I have spoken about these things with other collectible company admins as well and so ultimately, the correspondence was a positive one.

I am not apologetic about my passion nor my opinions regarding this piece. Having said that, I still understand a company like Sideshow and their position with regards to their licensor. Every contract is NOT the same.
I just wanted to remind them that customers, aka- fans, are the ones who keep these businesses going and the whole reason for creating a venture such as producing collectibles for specific licenses.

In addition, these forums and many like them are outlets to give voice to people and have their opinions expressed. Rebelscum has no shortage of opinionated people. None at all. I just marvel at people like you who make a stand and backup a business decision such as this particular one and think that it is so poignant and wise. It costs money to produce pieces like this and it takes time and time is money in the business world. This is gamble. Pure and simple. You like it? Buy it. I am going to use my voice and make sure the company knows how some of their customers feel. After all, I am one of consumers who contribute to Sideshow making progress and continuing to expand their licenses and range of products. (My bank account knows that all too well...I have over $40K into Sideshow!)
....and you honestly think there are "tons" of Star Wars AND video game nerds (as you call them) who will purchase this? I am not saying those who window shop and say, "Oh, that is cool" and leave it at that...You really think there will be TONS of people buying this? TONS??? They could almost hardly sell 250 pieces of R2-D2 and C-3PO for crying out loud! You truly think that Malgus, regardless of how many days until the game is released (and I know he was in the books, I have them and have read them), has the same appeal as OT characters who have impacted the world?!

This is not a casual purchase for MOST people....this is a commitment! I've said my piece and you have said yours....healthy debate and criticism is good! ....and judging by the deluge of PMs I received agreeing with me (not sure why people shy away from posting in the open forum), there are a TON of people who disagree with this decision. All I did was allow Sideshow to hear a side from the fans which may have gone unheard.

theforcemonkey
11-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Yes. I am honestly telling you I think it was a wise decision (not sure what poignant has to do with it - did you use that word on purpose?) I'm not sure how many will sell, NO ONE is. Without a sample poll across people who buy Sideshow and people who will play the game, I don't think anyone could tell you - nor could anyone tell before the game is even out. So in that respect, of course it's a gamble. All of their products are. But they're trying to appeal to a wide array of people. I imagine from your correspondence that you're pretty excited for the 1:1 Han in Carbonite. I'm being 100% honest with you when I say I would pass on that one even if it was only 50$. It doesn't appeal to me. This does.

I used the word "mature" because the reply you posted a few tells which led me to specific inferences.

"We are not trying to slap anyone in the face;"
"decisions are not made with the intention of insulting anyone"

I just assumed you told Sideshow you felt this decision was "insulting" and "a slap in the face," because otherwise, why would they include that in their response? It's an expensive toy, but a toy nonetheless - and certainly not worth getting so worked up as to write what amounts to hate mail. I certainly don't feel slapped or insulted, I feel like some of the little EU I actually like is finally getting some love.

That said, you've got me thinking - perhaps I'll write to Sideshow and tell them how excited I am for this piece! :p

Rodders
11-05-2011, 07:12 AM
I don't see what the fuss is. I assumed that Sideshow had been asked to create this statue as part of the publicity machine for The Old Republic while Bioware go and do their publicy thing. It makes business sense to see if they can squeeze a few extra dollars out of the sculpt.

Personally i like it, but i'll pass on getting one. Has anyone decided that they're going to get one?

SolidLiquidFox
11-06-2011, 10:38 AM
I think many are passing at the sure-to-be-high price for this character

ddoughboy1978
11-09-2011, 06:35 PM
not too worried, its too expensive for my coffers, I like that they're doing various characters in the SW universe but Im not being forced to purchase this so I'm not too worried also if the line doesn't do well they might just drop it.

SirTristram
11-10-2011, 10:06 AM
...also if the line doesn't do well they might just drop it. That is the whole point of this conversation and my problem with this.

Darth_Malign
11-12-2011, 10:45 AM
I think this is a great choice for a 1:1. I have never considered a 1:1 unitl this...I am a hugh fan of SW novels, I thought Devieved was a great book, I dont have much interest in the game but Malgus is awsome. I dont see why some people are actually angry at the production of this item....its just a statue. We have seem Fett, Vader and Stormies over and over and over again, granted no good 1:1 representations, but I am sure they will be produced. Good to see EU getting some items produced for collectors....more Solo family please....

GarvenDreis
11-15-2011, 04:57 AM
I can't be the only one who thought this was a prank when they first heard about it.

The only 1:1 I would ever consider is Garven, Ackbar, and Cantina Aliens. Perhaps 3PO or R2.

theforcemonkey
11-15-2011, 04:07 PM
And that's exactly why I'm defending the choice. Malgus is absolutely an option for me - to the point where I'm already putting money aside. Those you just suggested wouldn't even be maybes for me - instant passes all around. With a purchase as big as this, they're never going to attract all tastes, so I'm glad they decided to throw we Old Republic fans a bone.

Sarah
11-15-2011, 10:49 PM
SW: KOTOR I was fun - better than the PT - but I can't justify dropping roughly 5K on a 1:1 scale representation of some random Sith Lord.

theforcemonkey
11-15-2011, 11:31 PM
SW: KOTOR I was fun - better than the PT - but I can't justify dropping roughly 5K on a 1:1 scale representation of some random Sith Lord.

#1 - Your price is speculation, and 250% the cost of their latest 1:1 announcement.
#2 - He might seem random to you now, but in 34 days, he's going to be a major part of Star Wars EU (even more so than he is now.)

deathstar1000
03-29-2012, 04:30 PM
So who's buying?

Darth Malgus Life Size Figure - Sideshow Collectibles (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=36173&sku=400109)

justabigkid
03-29-2012, 08:02 PM
#1 - Your price is speculation, and 250% the cost of their latest 1:1 announcement.
#2 - He might seem random to you now, but in 34 days, he's going to be a major part of Star Wars EU (even more so than he is now.)

I couldn't resist lol:)

MrPickles
03-30-2012, 01:29 AM
I couldn't resist lol:)
True burn. Lol...

DarthRobbler
03-30-2012, 07:29 PM
So did anybody order this?

Sergiu
03-31-2012, 02:16 AM
I sold my Ferrari and ordered 20 of them.

GNT
03-31-2012, 04:15 AM
So who's buying?

Darth Malgus Life Size Figure - Sideshow Collectibles (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=36173&sku=400109)

No but it's an interesting choice to release, heaps of other characters they could've done instead.

ambasah
03-31-2012, 09:18 AM
he looks fantastic and this bodes very well for the eventual vader.

deathstar1000
03-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Darth Malgnificent: Seven-foot Star Wars figure is awesome, expensive | Unplugged - Yahoo! Games (http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/darth-malgnificent-seven-foot-star-wars-figure-awesome-183228462.html)

BenObi_70
03-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah, kind of crazy that this was front page Yahoo! news when there are what, 3 people buying it?

SirTristram
04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
The only thing this did for me was give me hope that they will make a 1:1 Vader, Fett, Stormtrooper and that the price point for the Han in Carbonite will be fairly reasonable and not the ludicrously outrageous prices which were bandied about last summer!

Sergiu
04-02-2012, 02:49 AM
A 1:1 Stormtrooper or Vader or Fett looking like the inaccurate scaled up PF's and priced like this statue are really what some should expect from SS. Better go for some fan made stuff in 1:1. SS will never beat that...

ihnken33
04-02-2012, 06:16 PM
A 1:1 Stormtrooper or Vader or Fett looking like the inaccurate scaled up PF's and priced like this statue are really what some should expect from SS. Better go for some fan made stuff in 1:1. SS will never beat that...

That's so true! It would be easier to build your own suits and put them on maniquins to get your 1:1 sized "Figures". Similar to what alot of the 501st costumers do. But if all you want is a big SS box that a life sized figure would come in with a COA, then I can print you up one and sell my Stormtrooper costume for $5999.00 ha ha.

SirTristram
04-02-2012, 10:58 PM
That's so true! It would be easier to build your own suits and put them on maniquins to get your 1:1 sized "Figures". Similar to what alot of the 501st costumers do. But if all you want is a big SS box that a life sized figure would come in with a COA, then I can print you up one and sell my Stormtrooper costume for $5999.00 ha ha.

No thanks.

Sergiu
04-03-2012, 01:27 AM

You don't even need to build some of these. There are some complete Stormtrooper armors already assembled for sale on a couple forums like RPF, Prop Den or 501st. Just get a mannequin and put everything on it. There was even a cool Sandtrooper armor with helmet and everything for sale on RPF, wish I had the money and the space to have another 1:1.

ihnken33
04-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Oh of course, I was just making a point...

DarthBeek
04-04-2012, 11:14 PM
First - what is a Darth Malgus?

Second - why would anyone want this garbage in 1:1 scale?

Sergiu
04-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Oh of course, I was just making a point...

I know, I just added even more info to that :)

r2q5
04-05-2012, 03:17 AM
First - what is a Darth Malgus?

Second - why would anyone want this garbage in 1:1 scale?

That is a very good question. It would only interest players of "Knights of the Old Republic" game. He is not a cannon character. He exists in game only. I buy a lot from Sideshow, but for this I will be a no show.

Jack_Victory
04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
I'll just wait to see what a Vader/Fett/Stormtrooper will look like. If they are well done for a mass produced 1:1, I'll jump on one. Otherwise, no thanks for this or any other 1:1 full offering. It all depends of course.

I would be tempted by a 1:1 Grievous (probably too much to ask for, and too much $$, but wow, that would be cool). I would also have interest in a full 1:1 IG-88.

Mike_S
04-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Interesting choice of character to release in a 1:1 Scale.

What if LFL are planning to do something huge with TOR? An animated series? A TOR trilogy? Who knows?
I thought the Visionaries Darth Maul PF figure, was a waste of time and resources, but has since become canon thanks to The Clone Wars animated series.
Seems strange that they would offer a 1:1 Malgus - a character from a video game. We didn't see anything like this with TFU now did we.

I think there could be something in the works.

The_Chosen_1
04-15-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure...I think Lucasfilm might have simply just screwed the pooch with this one. There was a lot of buildup for The Old Republic game and I think the folks at LFL had a strong hand in "persuading" Sideshow to go with this particular character.

The thing is, I don't think The Old Republic will ever reach a level of mainstream success that warrants making a collectible like this. And for it to be Sideshow's first full-bodied 1:1 Star Wars item?? I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that marketing meeting...

ihnken33
04-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Well, I signed up to win one of these through the SS website, but I'm not too worried, if I win, cool. If not, I can't afford it. It looks pretty cool though. But I'll be putting my 6K into a new costume or the 501st.

Vitus
04-17-2012, 04:23 PM
I signed up for winning a Darth Awesome™ too.

I'm up to Four 1:1's now (mannequins with costumes) and he really wouldn't go well with my setup but for free (or the price of shipping only) I would not refuse!

MrFlavaFlave
04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
What a waste of resources on a 1:1 item.........

Sergiu
04-18-2012, 03:43 AM
I wouldn't even pay the shipping for this...

Vitus
04-18-2012, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't even pay the shipping for this...

I guess shipping would be alot more for you!

Sergiu
04-19-2012, 03:41 AM
I guess shipping would be alot more for you!

Even if it was like the US domestic shipping...

dandirk
04-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I personally I agree, I would not spend 6k on a EU character like this. If I was a huge MMO fan, maybe? Also realize that right now, us older fans are OT focused and have more disposable income but not for too much longer. The prequels were released 13 years ago, so those fans will start to replace us. Could the same happen with the new SW MMO, unlikely but possible.

As others have mentioned and what was alluded to with the email(s) from SS... This was probably commissioned and paid for by LFL/Bioware for the game release, SS is just using the mold and rights to sell a few more for profit.

Also alluded was that LFL probably has very strict control of their licenses, seems either they choose which products can be offered or control via "approval" process. It doesn't seem like license holders have much of a choice, and SS replies also hint at the relationship with LFL is a shaky one where one small mis-step and you loose your license (MR maybe? Don't know the story behind that). This doesn't really surprise me too much, Lucas isn't as nutty as the harry potter lady but close, greedo shooting first... come on!

My personal opinion is that they probably didn't choose to do this, they were paid to do it (or worse forced by LFL to keep their license). They are probably just trying to take advantage of the work they already did. From my impression of SS, they don't pump out a lot each year (more so then others but its not like a 1:1 is released each month), so they just took advantage of the opportunity. Do you think they would have told you, LFL forced us to do this???? not if they want to keep their license after contract ends.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if HIC was delayed due to this project by LFL.

DarthLuumzl
04-23-2012, 03:14 AM
To be honest, IF I had the money and the space, I would buy it...