PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Sith - 5 years later

Murray1134
05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Everyone is celebrating 30 years of Empire Strikes Back, but another Star Wars film is celebrating an anniversary this year.

Revenge of the Sith turns 5 years old this month.

Thought it might be fun to share some memories of how we all celebrated the grand finale to the Star Wars Saga (at least the live action Big Screen version)

For myself, ROTS was the film that I had been waiting for ever since the PT was announced way back in the mid to late 90's. The biggest thing I had always wanted to see was Anakin v. Obi-Wan and why Anakin/Vader had to wear the suit to live.

After having several points in TPM spoiled by the soundtrack and figures, I put myself on a SW blackout once all the merch started hit the shelves. So, I didn't look at the book, toys, games, etc. The soundtrack I did pick up after the track listing was checked by my wife for any potential spoilers.

The movie hit and ROTS was the first of the prequels I was able to see at the midnight premiere. I even made it a point to see the movie 3 times in less than a 24 hour period. A geeky feat I had talked about for the others but never been able to do. I joked about renting a seat for everyshowing, but that was just never financially possible (I probably would've done it too, if it had been.. lol)

Needless to say I was blown away then and I still am. The whole 2nd half of the movie after Mace gets punked by the geriatric Sith Lord http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif , to Order 66 and the slaughter of the Jedi, everything in that finale is amazing. ROTS is just such a great movie with so many levels.

What about everyone else?

Eric_Geller
05-18-2010, 04:37 PM
It'll be five years tomorrow. My, how time flies.

I was at boarding school for this premiere, and as I recall, there were about six trips to see the movie listed on the weekend activity sheet. But I didn't want to wait for the weekend! This movie was coming out on a Thursday, and I had to see it before the commoners.

My math teacher at the time was a huge Star Wars fan, and we started talking about a midnight trip to see the film. We gathered a group of five or six hardcore fans and drove over to the theater at 9pm on May 18th to get a good spot in line. It was freezing, and I only had a light jacket, but for the next three hours I barely noticed, as we spent the time discussing what would happen in this final chapter. At one point, my math teacher ran to the school van and came back with some Star Wars toys he'd bought for us.

For me, as a Prequel child, Star Wars couldn't get any better than what I saw on the big screen that morning. I still get goosebumps whenever I watch Order 66. Every time I see Yoda enter Palpatine's chambers and casually slam his Red Guards against the wall, I flash back to the theater in Connecticut where I saw that scene for the first time and joined the rest of the audience in fierce applause.

I still consider Revenge of the Sith to be my favorite Star Wars film. Partly it's because of the good memories associated with the premiere, and partly it's because the film just rocked. It had me glued to my seat the whole time, despite the fact that I felt the need to use the bathroom as soon as the crawl appeared. Not even nature can interrupt Star Wars!

Jovial_Jay
05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
What a great idea! It seems like it was yesterday!

http://www.rebelscum.com/rots-reviews.asp

JediShua
05-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Having spent the last several weeks gorging myself with Burger King, and taking a whirlwind trip to Indianapolis to engage in all the Star Wars indulgence I could afford, I was ready!

I had taken the day off from teaching more than 8 months prior (and everyone from my boss, students, and even my students' parents knew why). Friends and family were joining me, plans were made, the stage was set!

But I didn't see the midnight show. No. I don't have to be the very first to see it. I just want the time to be perfect. The perfect showing where everyone can join me (we took up the whole row), perfect seats, I won't be too tired, and the crowd will be nice and rowdy. But that didn't stop us from being the first in line! 6 hours we waited (and watched Team America on the portable DVD).

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w62/jedishua/StarWarsopeningday0005.jpg

And finally the time was here!.....wait...where's my wife? Oh man.....traffic? Sure, we'll go with that.

The boy wants popcorn? But you were running behind! Now it's going to be cutting it close. I've been waiting years for this. Come on! Man this line is slow! Good thing I've got people holding seats for us. Finally! Let's go!

We made it!

And it was everything I wanted and more! We had a blast seeing it over and over that summer. Sometimes by myself.

Was it worth the hype? What do you mean?!?! The hype is the best part! That's what makes it so amazing! As good as the movie was, I actually miss the anticipation even more. Something that, sadly, I will probably never experience again.......

Then again....there's always Celebration..... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_Chosen_1
05-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Wow, 5 years already?! I can't believe it. I was a junior in high school at the time; right after school got out me, my brother and a few of our friends went to the theater to start waiting in line. I would've skipped school to stand in line in a heartbeat, but mom wouldn't have it http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Like JediShua, I was fresh off the adrenaline rush that was Celebration III and ready to take in the final chapter.

We took turns holding each others place in line while a few of us would make Wal-Mart runs across the street; I bought a few packs of the Episode III M&M's to sneak into the theater (shhhh..don't tell!) and admired the toys, just wondering what the movie would be like.

Finally, the big payoff. What a way to end the Saga! Even though it was a midnight premiere, I was wide awake the whole night. Couldn't even fall asleep once we got home. Growing up in the "prequel generation", this was the big payoff that I had been waiting for since childhood. ROTS ranks right up there with the OT in my book. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DarkSideSon
05-19-2010, 07:15 AM
This anniversary really means a lot to me (even though it's just five years)

Episode III was the film that made me fall in love with Star Wars. I got hooked onto Star Wars from the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon, and I thought it was good, and in 2005 when Ep. III came out, I wanted to go see it. The local TV channel was airing the other two Prequels, and I saw them and thought they were pretty good. (Yes, I saw the PT before the OT, laugh it up.) But Episode III was the only film I saw in the theatre, on a massive screen. And I was ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY by that, and to this day, it's still my favorite Star Wars film (and my fav. film in general).

And there's my story. Anyone else wanna throw in their two cents?

OnTheAir
05-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Like everyone else, I was building up such anticipation for the premiere of Revenge of the Sith! I watched all of the web docs online, and was thrilled when a new one was released! I joined HyperSpace. I looked for every advanced piece of footage I could find. I watched the trailers over and over again. And then I made a huge mistake. I stumbled across the script online, and in a moment of weakness, I read it. As Bugs Bunny would say, "what a maroon!"

So, while I certainly enjoyed the film from a visual standpoint, I didn't get as absorbed into the theater experience as I could have, because I had just read the script a week prior. Lesson learned, I will never make that mistake on any other film that I am looking forward to seeing!

Regardless, "Sith" is probably my second favorite of the Saga, right behind "Empire." When I am in the mood to watch a Star Wars film, those are the two dvds that get popped in more than the others ("Jedi" and "Clones" battle for third place in my viewing habits).

Katana_Geldar
05-21-2010, 04:38 AM
You sure the script was legit and not some creation by the notorious Supershadow?

My story: I came relatively late to the sage, saw TPM in theatres in '99 but it was the OT that made me a fan just before AOTC came out which I saw about a month after it came out, completely unspoiled may I add.

I was determined to go to the midnight premiere, my Mum asked what I wanted to do for my 21st and I said "Go and see Star Wars at midnight". It was a FREEZING cold night as May here is late autumn, but my Princess Leia hair kept me warm!

One of my friends I had to drag there by buying her a ticket and saying she would never forgive herself if she didn't go.

In the lead up, I was massively spoiled but I still remember being enthralled by the sight of that HUGE space battle above Coruscant. I remember thinking "George, this is your last outing but it's going to be a hell of a ride."

But even on the first viewing then, I noticed it's flaws. I was not convinced of Anakin's fall to the dark side until I read Stover's novel, it was a bit too fast in the film and while Matt-Man is brilliant as always I should not need the novel to help me watch the film.
I also remember Padme being very underused in the films middle despite the fact she dies at the end. And as a female I could not get why Padme would brush her hair on the balcony with that headband in it...and how the hell does she sleep with that stuff in her hair anyway?

George did not disappoint in the major bits, like The Duel and Grevious was a superbly pathetic character. Definitely best of the PT and no 3 on my list of the films.

OnTheAir
05-21-2010, 05:49 PM
LOL...the notorious SuperShadow.

Yes, it was the script or screenplay or whatever. The plot and dialogue was pretty much the same as what I had read.

darthblu3
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I too went to the midnight showing with one of my friends. I then went the next morning with my family, and then went by myself later that night. It was great to go see it with other people at first and then finally see it by myself and just enjoy the final movie and not worry about if my friend or wife were enjoying it as much as I was, not worrying If Sidious or the immolation scene were too intense for the kids.
As a guy who has watched all 6 movies in the theaters, ROTS was the best in everyway possible for a movie going experience. It was just as exciting as watching the OT in the theaters!

Satka
05-26-2010, 07:29 AM
As a first wave fan, ROTS is a very special movie for me:
- It is the apex of all things SW: I was going to finally watch that Obi-Wan/Vader duel I had been hearing and dreaming about for years, I was going to witness the psychological genesis of Darth Vader, learn how the Empire was born, how Obi-Wan would end up on Tatooine, Yoda on Dagobah ... an immense list of burning questions

- It is the master hinge between my first love (OT) and a new very attractive one (PT).
The OT obviously played a huge part in my growing up years, and I ended up knowing it as a part of me.
Then comes the PT, which I approached as an adult. I enjoyed it more and more until ROTS added the final touch, or rather touches that completed a realistic and very coherent tableau.

To me,
ANH = cornerstone,
TESB + End of ROTJ = mythical,
TPM + AOTC = enlightening
ROTS = pivotal

Jade_Jedi
05-26-2010, 07:50 AM
For ROTS I took a month of my long service leave, I went to the midnight screening then the first screening the next day as well as the afternoon screening.
For the rest of the month I went over 20 times.

Sheldon
05-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Apart from loving the film (and sobbing on sight of the pore snippet on Padme's chest) my greatest memory is my 5 year Chase glaring down at me in his pajamas from our balcony above our front door as I said good bye, leaving to see the film we had talked about for 3 years that I banned him from seeing (PG13). He wouldn't even talk to me that night.

walkingcarpet
06-25-2010, 02:19 AM
ROTS was, for me, the only Star Wars film I was able to see in the theaters. As for why, just weird parent stuff. Anyway, me and my friends, being the awesome people that they were, all made this big event out of it. It was one of the few movies to come to town on opening night (small towns in Montana and all that) so we barbequed before the movie, made a Jedi robe for me out of an old blanket, and we all fashioned homemade Star Wars shirts for the premiere.

Needless to say, it was pretty awesome. And I went and saw that movie again about 5 times before it left town. As the only Star Wars movie that I've really been able to share with my friends like that it's always held a special place in my heart and memories.

dairylives
06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
My buddies and I before the midnight showing of ROTS.

one of the best nights ever.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/dairylives/IMG_1308.jpg

Angela_Skywalker
07-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I was 13 when ROTS came out. My parents were strict about me seeing Pg 13 movies. At first they were like no you can't see it, and I'm just like "it's star wars, i'm seeing it no matter what" :P Episode 3 was actually the first pg13 movie I ever saw http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So all the hype came around, because my parents are not fans, and I was just a kid when the prequals were released, I never got to do the whole camping out thing, seeing it at midnight. For rots though, I ended up getting really sick the week it came out, like hospital sick. I was told by the doctor that i had to stay at home and rest... the week Rots came out http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I waited about 5 or 6 days, and decided that I didn't care, so I ended up going to the movies and seeing it with about a 102 fever. that's how dedicated i am ;p

I loved this movie, a LOT, still do. rots and empire switch back and forth between my favorite star wars film.

The main memory I have from watching it in the theater is being very freaked out after watching Anakin burn on Mustafar, and of course, loving the movie as a whole.

that year I was a jedi for halloween. for the 2nd time lol http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was a padawan in 1999 the year phantom came out.

JediArkis
07-17-2010, 07:51 PM
This was the only Star Wars movie I saw at the midnight release. Totally worth it. It was like a crazy party. I think everyone was satisfied. It was great to see the Saga completed.
I was born in 83, but still consider myself one of the OT time period fans. I grew up watching the films, and have no memory of first seeing one. I've simply always known Star Wars. Today I love the entire Saga, and The Clone Wars. Don't tell anyone... but I also like and own the two Ewok movies.
I was thrilled with the PT. Yes, it does have some flaws, but overall the awesome far outweighs them. I loved Revenge of the Sith. Seeing the end (or beginning) of the story brought a tear to my eyes. This post makes me want to go watch it right now. So then, if you'll excuse me.

DarkSideSon
07-18-2010, 01:38 AM
but I also like and own the two Ewok movies.

Don't forget the 25th anniversary to Ewoks: The Battle of Endor in November 24th!

Sheldon
07-18-2010, 12:53 PM
This was the only Star Wars movie I saw at the midnight release. Totally worth it. It was like a crazy party. I think everyone was satisfied. It was great to see the Saga completed.
I was born in 83, but still consider myself one of the OT time period fans. I grew up watching the films, and have no memory of first seeing one. I've simply always known Star Wars. Today I love the entire Saga, and The Clone Wars. Don't tell anyone... but I also like and own the two Ewok movies.
I was thrilled with the PT. Yes, it does have some flaws, but overall the awesome far outweighs them. I loved Revenge of the Sith. Seeing the end (or beginning) of the story brought a tear to my eyes. This post makes me want to go watch it right now. So then, if you'll excuse me.

You sound like you might belong here.

The_Chosen_1
07-18-2010, 03:07 PM
but I also like and own the two Ewok movies.

Don't forget the 25th anniversary to Ewoks: The Battle of Endor in November 24th!

I LOVE the Ewok movies!!! Even though I was born in '88, we somehow had them taped on VHS. They must have been broadcast again at some point. But I remember watching them as a kid. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TrooperKittie
07-21-2010, 06:26 AM
Don't mean to bump old topics, but this is my story.

I "discovered" Star Wars about 3 weeks before the release of ROTS. I happened to be forced into watched Ep 4. My little brother (he was 8 at the time) was really caught up in the ROTS merchandising, so a family member rented it for him. We started the movie too late and my brother (who is now a HUGE fan) fell asleep. But I stayed up and finished it. And then the next day, I went and rented Empire. And then Jedi, and Then Eps 1 + 2. I suppose you could say that the bug had bitten me a little, but in them moment I didn't feel this as an upcoming obsession, but just something I wanted to see an end to. I did not see ROTS at midnight. At the time, I was perfectly content with waiting till the Friday night (I wish I could go back and change this). In fact, ROTS is the only SW movie (outside of TCW) that I've seen on the big screen. Anyway, my theatre was amazing. They clapped at the best parts, yelled, screaming, laughed, the way a real movie experience it. And when I was walking out of the theatre I was like "Darn, that's an amazing movie" .I saw it about 8 more times that summer (doesn't sound like a lot). But the most important part of seeing Star Wars was that I was really influenced into wanting to make movies myself. It's 5 years later, and guess who is still making movies and going to school for it? Thanks ROTS, I owe you one.

EDIT: And this most made me hit Admiral. So chalk that up to ROTS, too ! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jorbex
07-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Congrats on the promotion, Kittie!

lost_mario_bro
07-22-2010, 10:33 PM
To appreciate this tale we need to go back. I need to take you back to November, 1977. To a small town in the most southern county of West Virginia. A man in his mid 20's exited a movie theater and was in complete disbelief of what he had just seen. He would shortly buy another ticket and see this movie again. Once again he could not believe what he had seen. So one evening he goes and visits his sister and her six month old son while her husband is away working evening shift in the coal mines (coal was still king but his reign was waning). He told her he had a movie for her to see at the local theater. Having been burned many times in the past she was reluctant to go see what she was sure was going to be a stinker. Reluctantly she agreed and the three of them (yes, this woman is the bane of your existence as she brought an infant to a movie theater) went to see Star Wars. They took in the last show of the night and sat in the balcony. When the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" faded onto the screen needless to say she wasn't happy. Since this is a family show I will not repeat the words she actually said but it did include, "What have you brought me to see?" His answer, "Shut up and watch the movie." As the movie began and is the ships flew across the screen she was hooked. When her brother started to ask a question she told him, "Shut up I'm watching the movie." She looked down and saw that her six month old son was looking up at the screen wide eyed. He was of course ruined for life. It would eventually lead to him posting overly long forum posts about his memories about a five year old movie. (If you think this is long you should read my status updates on Facebook! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif And give me a break I only get a day pass from the asylum once every two months).

So the years would pass. That movie theater would burn down before the release of ESB. To see each squeal, and eventual prequel, a journey would have to be made to the closest cinemas. Very rarley would the three ever see any of the other Star Wars movies together. The three decades that past would see a time of great joys and sorrows for this family. Each would eventually be faced with serious health problems. But they survived.

In 2005, construction was completed on a new movie theater--even more powerful than the original theater. On opening day of ROTS three people walked in. A man in his mid fifties bought a movie ticket for his sister and his 27 yr old nephew. And as the Star Wars saga came full circle and the story came to an end, as all good stories must (prerequisite EU bash), so did a family come full circle. And that is the story that I will always take with me. As with all families--there are bad moments and bad blood. But I will choose to remember three people who finished a great epic journey where it had started almost 28 years earlier.

Apologies for the length of the story. See you in a couple of months. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif