PDA

View Full Version : Audible Enthusiasts Entries

Sheldon
04-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Hey Forcecasters what ya listening to!?

Stars Wars fans are incredibly diverse however I find our brand of enthusiasm and good taste is shared for many of the same things. List your Audible favs here and pass on your brilliant selections!
Including of course your expected Diet of Star Wars audiobooks.

Jorbex
04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey Forcecasters what ya listening to!?

Stars Wars fans are incredibly diverse however I find our brand of enthusiasm and good taste is shared for many of the same things. List your Audible favs here and pass on your brilliant selections!
Including of course your expected Diet of Star Wars audiobooks.

Well, I'm not really an audiobook kind of guy, but I do read a large number of regular books every year. Have you checked out the Recently Read Books (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3557802&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#3557802) thread over at Wuher's? There's always many good titles there. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shazbazzar
04-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't generally listen to audiobooks.
But...I did get a copy of Revelation from a fellow ForceCaster a while back and listened to it...but then I read it in book form anyway.
However, several months ago I tried out Audible (podcast.audible.com/tfn I think) and got my free book for an upcoming long drive Millennium Falcon. It was pretty good as an audiobook. I stayed in and got DeathTroopers, which I thought really rocked. I'm still in and have lately been listening to the Fate of the Jedi series audiobooks. It's cheaper to listen than to buy these hardcover versions -- and they are "unabridged". I haven't ever gotten an "abridged" version of any book, because I want every nuance of the story. I'm anxiously awaiting Monday when I get my monthly credit to spend on the fourth book of the series. @ $14.95, I think each book is worth it.
I still read other books, but an audiobook is great for times when you're doing work that doesn't engage the brain. (And when there is no ForceCast that week.)

Eric_Geller
04-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm a huge fan of Audible. They have a great selection of books in their tech, politics, and Star Wars sections. I actually prefer to read Star Wars books on paper, because I like to build up my physical novel collection. I generally use my monthly credit on technology books like biographies of Steve Jobs or histories of Google and their search engine. I signed up a while back using the promo code from TWiT (This Week in Tech) but I highly recommend checking this service out using the FC code to support the show. Remember, you can always cancel and keep the free book!

(podcast.audible.com/tfn I think)

http://www.audiblepodcast.com/tfn

Murray1134
04-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm not much on audiobooks. I did just finish reading Darth Bane 3 about a week ago. Really enjoyed it.

TallestJawa
04-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Both of the Jawas are really big readers. We have always had at least one book each that we were reading. At one point Mr. Jawa was avraging 2 novels per week, and he was the slow reader. But Baby Jawa changed all that. It was very hard for us to get the time we needed to read. Audio books came to the rescue. We can listen while we do other housework or even when watching little Luke. Now we have 3 books on tap at all times: his, hers, and ours.

Mr. Jawa is now on the Homecoming Series by Orson Scott Card.

Mrs. Jawa is in the middle of the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.

Together we just finished World War Z by Max Brooks.

Pure old-school audio books, like books for the blind, are nice but we also like the new wave of full production audio dramas. We really think there needs to be a new name for this new type of entertainment. (Yes, yes, it is not NEW, just like old radio dramas, but is re-newed in popularity.) That way you can better convey to people what you are talking about. "Dune" was an ok (1984) movie. It was a great (1965) book. But the (2007) "audie" was in a class by itself.

All the new SW books are what we Jawas would call "audies". But this thread is about non-SW stuff, so here are some things we have listened to recently that are good audies (not just good books that happen to be read).

Dune by Frank Herbert 2007 full cast version

World War Z by Max Brooks 2007 full cast including Mark Hamill, Alan Alda, & Carl Reiner

Star Wars NPR radio drama 1981 (I know this shouldn't be on the list for 2 reasons: it IS SW and it is NOT new, but it is SO good it over powers all rules against it.)

JLA - Green Lantern - "Hero's Quest" by GraphicAudio (2009) We are not big comic book fans, but if you are, GraphicAudio has a lot.

Womp
04-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Various podcasts, including some good podcast fiction. Particularly, my wife and I recently finished Murder at Avedon Hill by P. G. Holyfield, which was pretty good.

I'm currently listening to the podcast drama The Leviathan Chronicles, though I haven't queued an episode for a while. It's about time I stepped back into that universe.

Sheldon
12-03-2010, 11:42 AM
This looks really good!

http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B003QAEJ0I

AUD2
12-03-2010, 04:11 PM
I only make time to listen to the ForceCast.

What you don't beleave me http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Well to be honest I just recently finished listening to the Radio Dramas. Pure nostaligia for me as they were the first way I could relive E4 over and over when I recorded it off the radio such a long time ago. Must say though that Jedi isn't up to the E4 and 5's standard but still enjoyable to listen to.

DarkSideSon
12-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Fate of the Jedi 6: Vortex came out a few days ago.

Now before all of you start groaning, I've been hearing wonderful things about this book, and is definately a "game-changer". This, along with Backlash and Allies (despite what certain podcast hosts and film directors say) are a step away and a step upwards from the mundnae conversations in the first three novels.