PDA

View Full Version : Who Would Be Interested In "V"?

kidsdaddy
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Years ago, when the original series was on, some toy company made unproduced toys from the old show. A couple of them even featured on the show as well. Sadly, it never saw the shelves.
So if toys were produced today, which version do you think would lend itself well to plastic form? My money's on the original series, as the old red uniforms screamed of action figures back when, and the shuttles begged to be toys. What's more, Donovan, Tyler and Diana were such icons that every kid wanted them.
I'm really jonesing on the new series, however, everyone looks a bit plain to be action figures, although there's the figures in suits and civvie clothes we all want for other lines.
What do you think? Your thoughts on both versions of the show and if a toy line would be a hit with you.

cpenafan
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
It would have to be the original. The new one appeals to no one. The only thing from the new show is the big ship. No sweet uniforms. Very bland.

austin

PresidentFett
04-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Isn't this a TV toy topic?

I'd guess someone like Diamond would make these toys, which would be fine with me. Minimates could also be cool. But I wouldn't expect anything to be announced for a while. It's too early to gage the fanbase for collector interest. Is it even known if the show will have a second season?

Masterfett
04-09-2010, 01:18 AM
It would have to be the original. The new one appeals to no one. The only thing from the new show is the big ship. No sweet uniforms. Very bland.

austin

I do have to agree with you there not much of a cool factor as far as toys besides the ships, the characters would possibly be good for custom fodder though. I'd rather have figures from the Classic show with the cool uniforms.

Deak_Starkiller
04-09-2010, 05:09 AM
A diecast collectible line would appeal to me with diecast versions of the Visitor fighter, tanker and mothership.

monstermonkey
04-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Sure, I'd be interesting in some 3 3/4 in. V figures, but only from the original series. That Diana was a pretty hot alien. Not too into the new stuff.

kidsdaddy
04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Toys would definitely work for the old show, considering it also had a line of novels and a comic series from D.C. Anything with all those media outlets in place definitely deserves a toy line.
While I like the new show, and the FX are an improvement over the original, the lack of eye-catching uniforms does give it a bland look. Anyone catch the ending of the episode 2 weeks ago, when Anna mates with that boytoy V, and then she grows that big mouth full of fangs? Or the ending of the 4th episode when that massive invasion fleet of V ships fills the TV screen? It has some promise, however, it looks like the producers seem intent on not having anything on the show that screams toy line. If anything does come from the new show, it'll probably be McFarlane statues or MiniMates.
But how cool would a shuttle and Visitor pilot from the old show be? Or a Mike Donovan on horseback?

GNT
04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I'll move this over to the TV toys section.

Blight
04-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Dude the toys weren't unproduced. This thing is awesome:
http://www.movieprop.com/V/vdoll.jpg

kidsdaddy
04-10-2010, 03:59 AM
That's cool, I very vaguely recall seeing pics of that, although no stores in my area ever saw them.
However, the unproduced ones were the 3 3/4" scale.

Masterfett
04-10-2010, 02:19 PM
From what I hear the show is struggling for ratings so it may not last much longer, witch is a shame as it does have potential. BSG was on for 5 years yet no 3 3/4" figures and I'm positive they'd have done just fine!

kidsdaddy
04-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh lovely, I hope it doesn't die like the original! The original left it at a cliffhanger ending for a follow-up season, and it never happened! Come on, Networks, I just finally want some closure with my V after 25 years, is it too much to ask?
I read on Wiki that there was an unaired final episode, you'd think it could have been put into the DVD set, and it's 25 years too late to get the old cast back to pick up where it left off.
Need toys, thats it, that's the solution, toys of the original, pique interest!

VadersClone
04-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Dude the toys weren't unproduced. This thing is awesome:
http://www.movieprop.com/V/vdoll.jpg

I've got mine stored away MIB. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

E_CHU_TA
04-11-2010, 12:38 AM
the figures they were playing with in the original series are my most wanted toys ever. the whole reason i ever first considered customizing was to make a few original series v aliens with the cool uniforms.

the absolute only reason i was even looking forward to the new V was hoping it would get a toy line. then it premeired and i couldnt believe the blandness of the costumes on the new show.

zedhatch
04-29-2010, 01:22 AM
I was heartbroken after seeing pics of the 3 & 3/4 shuttle that never got produced, it would have been fun to put up against my Milenium Falcon as a kid.

Sounds like the new V series is following the same road as the old one, struggling for an audience after a pretty decent showing at first.