PDA

View Full Version : FD III or CV?

GanjaFett
09-27-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm a big collector, never been to a convention and I'm dying to go. I debated going to the dragoncon in Atlanta, but found out about it too late. I've got a couple questions for you guys...

1. Should I wait for Celebration V for my 1st con experience?

2. Where the hell is the Celebration V going to be?

3. How many tables are for buying vintage toys? Is it more autographs, etc. or are there plenty of buying opportunities at these events?

Thanks for the help and I know when I do get to go to one of these junts, I'll be ready!

Kit_Fisto_13
09-28-2009, 11:19 AM
That's a hard choice if you can only do 1 of them. Fan Days is like an annual mini-Celebration. I went to CIII and loved every bit of it. There was Star Wars everywhere. Fan Days III is looking to be about 50 to 75% of what CIII was. Ben is adding more stuff each day and I expect a few more suprises to cause it to really turn out to be a great Star Wars event. If you are interested in the concert, that would be another reason for making Fan Days III a really viable choice. CV will e great, we just don't know where. We saw a report that Orlando is trying hard, and if they move one of the Star Wars weekends to coincide with it, that would make things even better. Hard choice, but I live in Dallas and will be at Fan Days (as a dealer to boot). I will have to miss the breakfast, and some other events, but it's nice to have dealer access to autographs and show rooms.

EDIT: I forgot about your vintage stuff question. Yes, Fan Days will have lots of dealers selling vintage toys (not just Star Wars). I have a Blue Snaggletooth for my booth. When I was at Celebration, there was a bunch of vintage stuff as well. I'm guessing Celebration might have a tad bit better selection, but Fan Days will still have some great stuff.

Vader71
09-28-2009, 12:25 PM
To me it would help to know what you want out of the convention. For me I am into props, artwork and autographs. Both FD3 and C5 will have the artwork and the autographs but the LFL archives seems to only send props to the Celebration events. (But they are also going to have some this year at the Concert tour, but that is not directly attached to FD3 but it happens the same weekend. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

As for the dealers tables there will be more of them at a celebration event but I bet the fees are less at FD3 so you may get a better deal.

My $0.02.

SoonerSean
09-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I've been to the last couple of Fan Days events and the dealer room has a pretty good variety of stuff. There was a guy last year selling vintage figures for reasonable prices (marked prices) and then he said everything was half off. Quite a deal.

I don't think there's what you would call a "huge" selection. But a decent place to find some deals and everyone always seems very friendly.

Seeing the "big" stars is the coolest part for me. I loved going in '07 and seeing Prowse, Baker, Bulloch, and Mayhew. I'd never been to a con that had the big names like that. I realize many folks have seen them over and over and so it's no big deal - but to a novice conventioner like myself it was amazing. Same guys this year, minus Baker, and we get Daniels and Ray Park!!!

GanjaFett
09-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I would dig the props and I guess I couldn't turn down a bulloch or mayhew autograph. If celebration was in Orlando, that would be great! Only a 10 hour drive or so. I need a little more time to prepare so it looks like the next celebration is on for me.