PDA

View Full Version : AT-ST Driver - rumor

Since1978
09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
According to the 9/10/2009 Q&A we'll have a new AT-ST driver coming on a basic card next year - late next year. Sounds like there's a ROTJ wave shaping up for next fall.

'78

jay1977
09-10-2009, 02:05 PM
I need this one for my collection in one form or another but I may skip it and go for the loose vintage figure instead.

Since1978
09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
This is, BTW, another candidate for the "vintage" treatment in the modern line!

GKinCT
09-10-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm in for one.

Since1978
09-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I'll even say that I'll get a couple, as this will hopefully be another head-swap candidate with all the other human soldiers in the line

Idpullthecurtain
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Nice to see this is coming soon. The UBP version is the best one to date and though its not bad, a new version will put it to shame.

MysterioMenace
09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice! Count me down for two.

Darth_Brett
09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
It would also be cool if they do a variant so we get one figure with the goggles down (as depicted in the movie) and maybe a variant with the goggles up. But if we only get one version then I hope it's the former.

Idpullthecurtain
09-10-2009, 03:10 PM
It would also be cool if they do a variant so we get one figure with the goggles down (as depicted in the movie) and maybe a variant with the goggles up. But if we only get one version then I hope it's the former.

Of course whats more likely is removable goggles.

Darth_Brett
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Even better!! I also hope if we only get one it's based off of Marquand's likeness (I think it was his likeness that was used for both the original and POTF2 figures).

Humanitarian
09-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Will this figure be based on the Imperial Scanning Crew?

Idpullthecurtain
09-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Will this figure be based on the Imperial Scanning Crew?

Most likely, I am sure they will use that as a base. Not so much new tooling required at all.

GNT
09-11-2009, 08:01 AM
I've always had a soft spot for the AT-ST Driver so count me in for a new version. Hasbro can't go wrong if they reuse the scanning crew body to bring us a new imperial since all the hard work is aleady floating around. Good news http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dom
09-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Im all for the vintage/goggles down style.

Darth_Anton
09-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Yea!!!!!

Toonimator
09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
It'll have a Jango head, of course, since every Imperial wearing a helmet has one according to Hasbro. Except for the ANH Spacetroopers http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Blight
09-11-2009, 12:21 PM
It'll have a Jango head, of course, since every Imperial wearing a helmet has one according to Hasbro. Except for the ANH Spacetroopers http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You know it won't though. That wouldn't be movie accurate...unless Hasbro is making a retcon of star wars one trooper at a time. I find it funny that they won't go there with troopers that show faces (death star trooper) but they will with all the others. Like we won't notice. Speaking of Death star Trooper...who else would be up for a death squad trooper in grey ala vintage?

Darth_Brett
09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't think they'll use the Jango head only because their faces are very much visible. They don't use the Jango head on Imperials that do not have masks. The Death Star Trooper and Imperial Scanning Crew Tech are both examples of this. I wouldn't worry about the AT-ST Driver having a clone head at all.

Gambit
09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
^^
Exactly. Come on, no one seriously think they'd do that, do they? Closed face helmets are fair game, but when you see the faces of course they're not going to do that. I'd like to see a running change of Marquand's likeness, and Robert Watts.

SnTrooper
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Oddly this is from JediDefender's Q&A:

3. The Scanner Technician seems like a surefire base figure for a number of redecoes, or slight changes, that could crank out super articulated "new" figures. Will we see this figure eventually in the black jumpsuits, maybe with a helmet, like the Death Star Troopers working on the 2nd Death Star and shield generator? What about a new AT-ST Drive to compliment that spiffy new ride he has coming? There's a lot of Imperials wearing that pretty basic jumpsuit, and it just seems like something we could easily see updated into pretty desirable army builders.

3) We're glad you like this guy - we certainly think he turned out great. We do anticipate utilizing this great new base sculpt to bring out some other Imperials over time. What the next one may be, though, has yet to be slotted into the lineup. Stay tuned!

Why would they say that if an AT-ST Driver is planed for next year? Either it's not going to use the Scanning Trooper sculpt, one of those others is in a exclusive that may or may not show up before the driver, they don't know what they are talking about, or they are lying.

Idpullthecurtain
09-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Oddly this is from JediDefender's Q&A:

3. The Scanner Technician seems like a surefire base figure for a number of redecoes, or slight changes, that could crank out super articulated "new" figures. Will we see this figure eventually in the black jumpsuits, maybe with a helmet, like the Death Star Troopers working on the 2nd Death Star and shield generator? What about a new AT-ST Drive to compliment that spiffy new ride he has coming? There's a lot of Imperials wearing that pretty basic jumpsuit, and it just seems like something we could easily see updated into pretty desirable army builders.

3) We're glad you like this guy - we certainly think he turned out great. We do anticipate utilizing this great new base sculpt to bring out some other Imperials over time. What the next one may be, though, has yet to be slotted into the lineup. Stay tuned!

Why would they say that if an AT-ST Driver is planed for next year? Either it's not going to use the Scanning Trooper sculpt, one of those others is in a exclusive that may or may not show up before the driver, they don't know what they are talking about, or they are lying.

Contradictory answers. Not the first time. But dont often get then in the SAME week.

Nicklab
09-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Perhaps a link to the source that confirmed this figure? Jedi Temple Archives Q&A (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5170/#details)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>

Q. The new AT-ST looks fantastic! And the demos at Comic Con really helped this vehicle shine. It seems perfect. But the driver that's packed in looks frankly, a little lonely in that new, spacious cockpit. We have not had an AT-ST Driver in the basic figure line (with the exception of Han Solo in his AT-ST Driver disguise) since the POTF2 days. Can we expect a new AT-ST driver in the near term? Or perhaps some AT-ST hijacking Ewoks? If my memory serves me correct, they're named Widdle and Oochee.

A. Glad you like the new AT-ST! It sure turned out fantastic, in our opinion. Yes, there are plans for all of these figures next year. The AT-ST driver should be out by the end of next year as a basic figure, while the Ewoks have yet to be confirmed but will likely be part of an exclusive pack.

[/QUOTE]

Idpullthecurtain
03-18-2010, 05:57 AM
seems like there are suggestions now this could be a pack-in figure with another AT-ST. I hope it still comes as a basic figure.

Trooper31
03-18-2010, 07:57 AM
I hope so too. I bought two AT-STs because I didn't think we'd see the AT-ST for at least 18-24 months. I'd think about another AT-ST, but I don't want to have to buy one just to get a new AT-ST driver. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

JohnSilence
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I might get more than two.

Since1978
03-18-2010, 10:50 AM
I think a little much was read into the answer on the Hoth AT-ST - while it may come with the new Driver, they've said before that he was coming on a basic card, and in that answer, I saw absolutely nothing about the driver, just the AT-ST.

Idpullthecurtain
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I think a little much was read into the answer on the Hoth AT-ST - while it may come with the new Driver, they've said before that he was coming on a basic card, and in that answer, I saw absolutely nothing about the driver, just the AT-ST.

well they say "yes to both", so the suggestion is that means yes to the vehicle and yes to the part of the question about a new pilot. That may or may not mean the AT-ST Driver comes in the ROTJ wave.

Darth_Brett
03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe I am not reading this the same way you guys did. I made the statements that lead me to believe the AT-ST Drive is a pack in boldface.

QUESTION: The AT-ST seems to have been extremely well received by the collecting community as a whole. It was an amazing advance from the vintage vehicle. This version seems to have been specifically geared towards the Battle of Endor in RETURN OF THE JEDI. But with this being the 30th anniversary of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (the first place we ever saw the AT-ST), is it possible that we could see the AT-ST reintroduced in 2010 with Hoth deco? And might this be the venue by which we see the new AT-ST Driver that was mentioned back in a September, 2009 Q&A session?

ANSWER: We're glad you appreciate the AT-ST. We agree - it sailed way past our expectations to be one of our favorite pieces of 2009. There were a lot of them actually, but that one was fantastic. Now, your question....yes, to both parts. The plan was is bring the vehicle out as an exclusive late in the year and details will likely be announced at Comic Con or CV. The exclusive line still has a bit of an unsettled nature to it this year, so we can't say with 100% certainty that it is definitely coming. Stay tuned for more info later in the year.

To me, they clearly said the answer is yes to both questions. I guess I could see how maybe some read this as being yes, the AT-ST will be re-released in 2010 and yes, it will be in the Hoth deco.

Droidworld
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Then a Richard Marquand likeness would not be appropriate if it is an ESB AT-ST. I'm not really interested in another AT-ST Driver unless it has Mr. Marquand's likeness.

Darth_Brett
03-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Well technically we never even see the AT-ST Drivers in TESB so it's out of place in that respect, too. I don't see why even if this is a pack-in figure that it wouldn't have Marquand's likeness regardless if he was only seen in ROTJ (I know Hasbro confirmed that the new figure would be him in a more recent Q&A). I guess it's possible that the basic card figure is Marquand and the pack-in figure might just be a generic driver.

Lone_Jedi
03-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I guess I could see how maybe some read this as being yes, the AT-ST will be re-released in 2010 and yes, it will be in the Hoth deco.

Interesting point. Too bad the Legacy AT-ST sculpt was not used in ESB though. Maybe it will be a wacky EU repaint.

MysterioMenace
03-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I guess I could see how maybe some read this as being yes, the AT-ST will be re-released in 2010 and yes, it will be in the Hoth deco.

Interesting point. Too bad the Legacy AT-ST sculpt was not used in ESB though. Maybe it will be a wacky EU repaint.

Hm! This is the second time I've seen that so I have to ask, considering they looked pretty similar to me, what exactly are the differences? Any photos?

RebelTrooper1138
03-18-2010, 09:23 PM

Hm! This is the second time I've seen that so I have to ask, considering they looked pretty similar to me, what
exactly are the differences? Any photos?

I'm sure they just mean the "battle damage", as the one released had an Endor deco but this ESB one would have a snow deco.

MysterioMenace
03-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Hm! This is the second time I've seen that so I have to ask, considering they looked pretty similar to me, what
exactly are the differences? Any photos?

I'm sure they just mean the "battle damage", as the one released had an Endor deco but this ESB one would have a snow deco.

They wrote that the actual model shown in the film differs from the AT-ST shown in Jedi, not that the weathering alone was different. This was something I had never noticed, though it's probably just in detail like maybe different guns and such as it's clearly nothing overt. Still, I would doubt the Hoth AT-ST that Hasbro releases will be anything more than a repaint.

Spookymufu
03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
the ATST from ESB is more rounded then the one from ROTJ, if you look at the side by side images you can easily see how different they are, the original Hasbro/Kenner ATST looks closer to the ESB one then this latest release.

Lone_Jedi
03-18-2010, 11:10 PM
I believe there are comparison photos in the Hoth AT-ST thread in this very forum. To be brief, the Blizzard Scout AT-STs in ESB have thinner and longer legs so they stand taller than the Tempest Scout AT-STs from ROTJ. The ROTJ one is wider and has a bigger head (proportion-wise) to the rest of its body. The differences are significant when viewed side by side.

OdinsDad
03-18-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm surely in for two but jeez I would have liked a nicer pack-in with my $40 WM exclusive I just effin bought.

you know?

03-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Well I am not buying another AT-ST just for a new driver, he will be out on a single card at some point in time.

OdinsDad
03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Well I am not buying another AT-ST just for a new driver, he will be out on a single card at some point in time.

duuude

According to the 9/10/2009 Q&A we'll have a new AT-ST driver coming on a basic card next year

rtp heh...

cmon bro

Trooper31
03-19-2010, 04:26 AM
I read the answer the same way as Darth Brett did. It is possible that Hasbro misread the question and meant that both were coming, but they had more than enough time to write a response.

RebelTrooper1138
03-19-2010, 05:16 PM
They wrote that the actual model shown in the film differs from the AT-ST shown in Jedi, not that the weathering alone was different. This was something I had never noticed, though it's probably just in detail like maybe different guns and such as it's clearly nothing overt. Still, I would doubt the Hoth AT-ST that Hasbro releases will be anything more than a repaint.

The members did, yes. I'm sorry, I should've made myself more clear. I meant to say that Hasbro just meant a snow deco, considering the questioner asked if we'd see it repurposed with a Hoth deco, and Hasbro said yes we will.

Blight
03-19-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm thinking maybe this will be the sculpt of the one that had han's head with a newly sculpted head on a vintage card. That would be pretty cool

matt292
03-20-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm thinking maybe this will be the sculpt of the one that had han's head with a newly sculpted head on a vintage card. That would be pretty cool

Sounds good. Even a new SA sculpt would be welcome http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GNT
03-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Makes sense to release a AT-ST figure so that we'll have a figure to pilot the upcoming AT-ST http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MichaelJa
03-20-2010, 08:03 PM
For this figure I want complete SA not another Kitbash of the Han Solo one, hell they have the beginnings of a decent version already with a little work, Imperial Scanning Crew, with new head and helmet, and gloved hands.

Vitus
04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
For this figure I want complete SA not another Kitbash of the Han Solo one, hell they have the beginnings of a decent version already with a little work, Imperial Scanning Crew, with new head and helmet, and gloved hands.

great idea. i'll take a few of these!

Idpullthecurtain
04-10-2010, 05:50 AM
this one is still a bit of a mystery. It was confirmed as a Basic Carded figure. But the there was a suggestion that it would come packed-in with the AT-ST. I cant wait till the figures in the ROTJ wave are revealed. Seems like I have been waiting forever!

Masterfett
04-11-2010, 02:13 PM
This ones pretty much a no brainer use the Imperial Scanning Tech add gloves and the helmet and bang! Sometimes it's so easy they can't quite figure it out, meanwhile they try to release barrel chested Han 15 times!

Trooper31
04-12-2010, 03:43 AM
this one is still a bit of a mystery. It was confirmed as a Basic Carded figure. But the there was a suggestion that it would come packed-in with the AT-ST. I cant wait till the figures in the ROTJ wave are revealed. Seems like I have been waiting forever!

I agree. I don't have anything against the figure being packed with an AT-ST, but he should be a carded release first. An AT-ST will have to be an exclusive, assuming Hasbro changes its OT policy on vehices, which would then make a "new" figure, an exclusive.

IndianaKenobi
04-12-2010, 05:07 AM

My guess is that we will be waiting for an official reveal until Comic Con, since I can’t really see anything being revealed outside of conventions given that Hasbro has to fill both SDCC and CV later this year. However if you are lucky we will get unofficial lists before SDCC or even a list from Hasbro in the Question and Answer sessions.

Trooper31
04-12-2010, 06:51 AM
I think at some point in May, we'll get another post from Stan about the line. I think Hasbrp has been gveing some nice hints in the past few Q&As. I'd really like to get another ROTJ wave rumor list before Comic-Con, though.

Idpullthecurtain
04-12-2010, 08:19 AM

My guess is that we will be waiting for an official reveal until Comic Con, since I can’t really see anything being revealed outside of conventions given that Hasbro has to fill both SDCC and CV later this year. However if you are lucky we will get unofficial lists before SDCC or even a list from Hasbro in the Question and Answer sessions.

I imagine we will get lists for another wave or two before then, at least.

IndianaKenobi
04-12-2010, 08:29 AM

Yes we will most likely see lists however they will probably be completely made up of rumor reports. A matter of fact officially we are meant to know very little about the waves at SDCC etc. We just ‘know’ them because of rumors and the sometimes the accumulation of Hasbro revealed figures to be coming. I predict one wave will be officially revealed in a Question and Answer session (probably not officially in one group but probably a revelation through various announcements of difference figures in different sessions), and another will probably completely full of rumors.

Idpullthecurtain
04-12-2010, 09:10 AM

Yes we will most likely see lists however they will probably be completely made up of rumor reports. A matter of fact officially we are meant to know very little about the waves at SDCC etc. We just ‘know’ them because of rumors and the sometimes the accumulation of Hasbro revealed figures to be coming. I predict one wave will be officially revealed in a Question and Answer session (probably not officially in one group but probably a revelation through various announcements of difference figures in different sessions), and another will probably completely full of rumors.

There are always no shortage of rumours. We have rumours for just about EVERY remaining character.

Trooper31
04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Rumors and rumor lists are fine with me at this point. We really don't have much to discuss and even lists with figures we might not see this fall, would still be fun to talk about. Also, most rumor lists contain at least a hint of truth.

I will hand it to Hasbro for keeping things quietly. I guess my only complaint is that with this figure, we seem to have gotten conflicting answers from Hasbro.

IndianaKenobi
04-12-2010, 10:11 PM

There are always no shortage of rumours. We have rumours for just about EVERY remaining character.

Yep we sure do. However there are always some rumours which come through which actually list waves. I am pretty sure we pretty much have the entire ROTJ wave sorted with rumours and Hasbro confirmations.

Masterfett
04-12-2010, 11:05 PM
I think at some point in May, we'll get another post from Stan about the line. I think Hasbrp has been gveing some nice hints in the past few Q&As. I'd really like to get another ROTJ wave rumor list before Comic-Con, though.

Well with all the not at this time, or their is no venue for that, or we'll keep that in mind if we ever do that figure again, it's tough to pick up on the hints. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trooper31
04-13-2010, 06:49 AM

Well with all the not at this time, or their is no venue for that, or we'll keep that in mind if we ever do that figure again, it's tough to pick up on the hints. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Agreed. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DarthFett022
04-17-2010, 03:39 AM
Gonna get 5 of these babies,(2 for 2009 AT-AT and another 2 for the 2010 Hoth AT-AT,Also a mint one ''Hopefully''.) Hopefully the sculpt will be great http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AaylaSecurasMan
07-22-2010, 01:37 PM
This one on a vintage card

http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/events/comic-con_international_(2010)/hasbro/exclusives/SDCC2010_Hasbro_223.jpg

Spookymufu
07-22-2010, 01:38 PM
man, who poses their figures for them????

Darth_Brett
07-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I remember way back when Hasbro had said a new AT-ST Driver would be using Marquand's likeness...but it almost looks like the face is Watts' face.

Hard to tell from the angle it's been photographed from I guess...

What are everybody else's thoughts?

Blight
07-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Looks bad. Don't like the suspenders.

Darth_Brett
07-23-2010, 12:35 AM
I think those suspenders will more than likely be removable. If not, they'll be super easy to cut off.

Kooshmeister
07-23-2010, 03:58 AM

I believe the "suspenders" are actually the seat straps:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20051210145253/starwars/images/e/e1/Watts.JPG

And, as Brett suggested, they'll more than likely be removable, for use only when the driver is seated inside the cockpit.

GNT
07-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Don't know if I'll buy the pack his in but I wouldn't mind a carded reissue in the near future. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Idpullthecurtain
07-23-2010, 07:07 AM

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20051210145253/starwars/images/e/e1/Watts.JPG

And, as Brett suggested, they'll more than likely be removable, for use only when the driver is seated inside the cockpit.

They could be the seat straps, but they could also be a harness that is worn by a pilot that plugs into the seat area.

We have something similar on the X-Wing pilots.

Kooshmeister
07-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Ah, yeah I hadn't thought of that. Either way it's something that was in the movie and I believe has been absent from every AT-ST Driver figure so its inclusion is pretty neat to me.

AaylaSecurasMan
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
So is this guy coming out single carded? or just on the attack on Hoth BP? Sorry if this has been addressed already http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Darth_Brett
09-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Just in the BP.

Diablo20
09-24-2010, 01:55 PM

According to Wookieepedia all the drivers had to wear the harnesses after the Senate passed the "Click It or Ticket" law.

DarkArtist
09-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Even better!! I also hope if we only get one it's based off of Marquand's likeness (I think it was his likeness that was used for both the original and POTF2 figures).

completely agree with you on this one...definately needs to have Marquand's likeness as well as be super articulated.... that would be awesome...

AaylaSecurasMan
10-06-2010, 03:47 PM
For those that got the Hoth BP from Target already, could you please post pictures of this guy, just this guy, please?

Toonimator
10-06-2010, 04:24 PM
For those that got the Hoth BP from Target already, could you please post pictures of this guy, just this guy, please?

Check the Attack On Hoth thread... a non-helmet pic of him is in there! Would be a great head for adding variety to Rebel & Imp troopers, pilots, etc. All the more reason for this guy to get a basic release!

REBELPURGE
10-08-2010, 06:51 PM
while this guy is great with added articulation and all, isn't this why we're paying arm n leg for these figures. H says sculpting and all for new figures costs so much but they could've just released this guy with new head and new forearms from the tech couldn't they? Don't get the decision making process there.

Mynock09
10-08-2010, 07:02 PM
This figure is well worth the price, Hasbro went all out on this one.I am glad they did not use the scanning tech figure.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data//500/thumbs/Big_Score_011.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/imagepopup.php?imagename=http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data//500/Big_Score_011.JPG)
Its unique now and that is always a plus in my book.

Michael_Knight
10-08-2010, 07:05 PM
The fact that he's entirely new almost seems to guarantee he'll see a carded release and easily fills another hole on the vintage collection.

Toonimator
10-08-2010, 07:06 PM
It looked like--from the pics I've seen of the new AT-ST Driver--that they corrected the Scanning Tech's major flaw: giant feet.

Other than THAT, yeah... they could've made a perfectly fine Driver with new forearms, head, feet. They've retooled pieces before, and they show no hesitation in reusing Jedi bodies (for the guys, anyway) in Geonosis Arena sets. Why not Imperials?

Darth_Brett
10-08-2010, 07:12 PM
The fact that he's entirely new almost seems to guarantee he'll see a carded release and easily fills another hole on the vintage collection.

Yep, and I am hopeful that's when we'll get Marquand.

darth_sidious
12-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Is there going to be a carded version of the same figure from the Target exclusive Hoth BP? Having browsed this thread and others, it seems like there are rumors and confirmations - yet its also in a poll to ascertain whether we want to see it repacked... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Masterfett
12-11-2010, 03:54 PM
I hope so I'm not keen on paying $40 for this guy, at least the other set had two other figures I actually wanted.

Spookymufu
12-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I hope so I'm not keen on paying $40 for this guy, at least the other set had two other figures I actually wanted.

exactly!

TK_842
12-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Though i got the Hoth pack mainly for the AT-ST, i do hope the driver included is rereleased on its own. It's such a good figure we should be allowed to get more to army build.

Idpullthecurtain
12-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Is there going to be a carded version of the same figure from the Target exclusive Hoth BP? Having browsed this thread and others, it seems like there are rumors and confirmations - yet its also in a poll to ascertain whether we want to see it repacked... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Surely at some point it will come out. I dont believe there are any plans at the moment though.

Darth_Anton
12-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Though I want a new At-St driver, I don't want the BP one. Too tall and an improperly designed helmet.

padmesghost
12-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I dont own him, but he looks SA from the pics I've seen, why would Hasbro resculpt him? A repack seems likely to me and maybe even an altered version with a new head and no straps on the chest.

Spookymufu
12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
meh, you cant tell how tall he is sitting in the AT-ST, bring him on as a carded figure!

tanksmasher
03-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Some of these rumors need to be purged from the rumor list. I suppose one day we might get this guy on a single card, but at this point this rumor has lost all credibility. It's been two and a half years since the Q&A referenced it.

matto
03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Some of these rumors need to be purged from the rumor list. I suppose one day we might get this guy on a single card, but at this point this rumor has lost all credibility. It's been two and a half years since the Q&A referenced it.

This would be an easy add in figure for Hasbro to do for TVC. And a very popular one to add. What's the holdup???

SGT_A
03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
This would be an easy add in figure for Hasbro to do for TVC. And a very popular one to add. What's the holdup???

Hasbro is not interested because A: it's a popular figure with high demand, and B: Hasbro is only interested in figures that keep the retail pegs nice and toasty.

The views expressed are purely my own an do not reflect that of Hasbro. Damn it I want this one on a vintage card

AaylaSecurasMan
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow, a 2.5 year old rumor :\

CIS
03-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Wow, a 2.5 year old rumor :\

Seriously, where is this guy?!?

Krayt
03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Wasn't he in the new AT ST?

coeli
03-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Wasn't he in the new AT ST?
He came in that Hoth Battle pack that Target had a few years ago around the holidays.
And yes, this guy needs to be released on a single card!

my_kind_of_scum
03-27-2012, 03:23 PM
He came in that Hoth Battle pack that Target had a few years ago around the holidays.
And yes, this guy needs to be released on a single card!

Exactly. There you are, Hasbro... A rerelease that needs no tooling at all. You want some easy money?

tanksmasher
03-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Releasing this guy on a TVC card is a no brainer but instead we got R5-D4. Really?

ArtieDuty
03-27-2012, 10:22 PM
As soon as the Vintage Collection is done I'm going to get a mod to start a thread called "TVC-what was Hasbro smoking when they thought this figure was a good idea?"

K3PO
03-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Some of these figure choices are really stupid. None selling peg warming crap. How many lame Star Wars Indian figures that are collecting dust now. Yes I'm referring to Q vos. His name is chief! And enough of the damn clones. That horse as been beaten enough. I'm sort of looking forward to VC being done. Hasbro is running out of ideas and it's starting to show. OT sells, PT doesn't as much. There are so many TPM figs on the pegs now and not even kids a interested. Everyone likes the OT characters more.

matto
03-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Releasing this guy on a TVC card is a no brainer but instead we got R5-D4. Really?

R5 was ok with me since he was an original Kenner figure. But like the AT-ST Driver, there are plenty more ready to be put onto a VC cardback. Rancor Keeper, Ugnaught just to name a few others that need to be re-released. No more Sandtroopers and lets get a few more of these type guys out on VC cardbacks.

Michael_Knight
03-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Yep, Hasbro is losing money not redistributing this sculpt on a Vintage card and possibly as a Han Solo variant. Also, the numerous uses this body sculpt has for Imperials.

tanksmasher
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
R5 was ok with me since he was an original Kenner figure. But like the AT-ST Driver, there are plenty more ready to be put onto a VC cardback. Rancor Keeper, Ugnaught just to name a few others that need to be re-released. No more Sandtroopers and lets get a few more of these type guys out on VC cardbacks.
I know that R5 brings us one figure closer to completing the coveted 96, so I didn't hate it, but sometimes the choices are baffling. Yavin Han--that was a wasted slot. Had they sculpted the shirt properly, then technically it would have been new but I would have preferred a repack of this driver or an ugnaught or some others.

Masterfett
03-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Well Hasbro had to know we would be seriously miffed at them for releasing a brand new AT-ST Driver/army builder in a $30 set, and not single carding him at least within a 6 month period!
After all you need two of them for every vehicle, and yet the HRT is everywhere!

VornJithco
03-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Some of these figure choices are really stupid. None selling peg warming crap. How many lame Star Wars Indian figures that are collecting dust now. Yes I'm referring to Q vos. His name is chief! And enough of the damn clones. That horse as been beaten enough. I'm sort of looking forward to VC being done. Hasbro is running out of ideas and it's starting to show. OT sells, PT doesn't as much. There are so many TPM figs on the pegs now and not even kids a interested. Everyone likes the OT characters more.

lol... I like to refer to Quinlan Vos as "Screaming Buffalo" myself.... I got no problem with vintage prequel figures, but this guy? on a TPM card who's barely seen in the background... it's a great figure but he certainly wouldn't have made my list for the initial 12 release...

now as to the topic.... YES I'd love to have an AT-ST Driver on a vintage cardback too... he's an easy repack... along with the Biker Scout, AT-AT Driver, Hoth Rebel Soldier, Ugnaught, FX-7 and several others.... hopefully we'll see a few of these in the fall before they put the Vintage cards on hiatus :(

Spookymufu
03-29-2012, 06:19 AM
^^^^ I want an all new, more accurate bikerscout.

K3PO
03-29-2012, 06:52 AM
I rather us get a Carded At-At driver. To go with my At-At and commander.

Evergrey
03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Well Hasbro had to know we would be seriously miffed at them for releasing a brand new AT-ST Driver/army builder in a $30 set, and not single carding him at least within a 6 month period!
After all you need two of them for every vehicle, and yet the HRT is everywhere!

for $30 I would have happily bought 10 of this set ... unfortunately
here in Germany these 2 sets (attack on Hoth and defense of Hoth)
were (and now are more than ever) so ridicously priced, that I only
was able to get one of each ...
Here these sets cost 70,- EUROs each, wich is about US$ 93,50 ...

jamesanshutz
03-29-2012, 11:38 AM
I wouildn't mind if the new AT-ST imperial officer drivers figures had head sculpts where the goggles were molded onto the head like the old Kenner figure. Tired of the really loose goggles where they never fit. Such as the ones for the AT-AT commander figures.

starwars
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I saw this figure on ebay for $51.00 buy it now if anyone is interested. You may as well just buy the whole set it came in

jlw515
03-29-2012, 12:14 PM
for $30 I would have happily bought 10 of this set ... unfortunately
here in Germany these 2 sets (attack on Hoth and defense of Hoth)
were (and now are more than ever) so ridicously priced, that I only
was able to get one of each ...
Here these sets cost 70,- EUROs each, wich is about US$ 93,50 ...

I suggest you move to America!! Heck you could open an authentic German pub or eatery - American people would go nuts for that!

Jason

Michael_Knight
03-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Oh yes, they have the best meat, cheese, bread, chocolate and of course Beer.

Scarrviper
03-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Didn't we ask in one of the Q&A's about this figure getting a single card release, and hasbro claimed they had to wait a certain amount of time before rereleasing an exclusive or something like that? I'd love to see The AT-ST driver get released in this line. Maybe they're waiting for the ROTJ anniversary or something.

ArtieDuty
03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
That's giving Hasbro too much credit, other than putting out solid waves from certain movies(ESB for the anniversary, TPM for the rerelease) everything Hasbro does in regards to Star Wars seems to be completely random.

JACKOFTRADZE
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Your post reminds me that I miss the themed wave days especially OT ones.....

Michael_Knight
03-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Your post reminds me that I miss the themed wave days especially OT ones.....

Oh yes the wave that had Stormie Luke and Han, Old Ben, Spacetrooper, Wioslea, Jawa with Treadwell, Braniac and Trinto Duaba with Dice Ibegon, along with two Tatooine themed BAD astros was probably one of the most epic waves released of all time. I had been checking Target daily for almost a month and when I saw the entire wave hanging from the pegs in all their glory one quiet morning I felt time slow down like I was in the zone. Once I was placing the last figure in my cart I noticed my hand shaking. It sounds pathetic but I felt like I had just won the Superbowl or something.

Scarrviper
03-29-2012, 06:14 PM
I've had that same feeling before when finally seeing a wave for the first time. I'll never forget finding vintage wave 3 at Walmart after getting to leave a class early. I picked up 2 gamorreans, Ackbar, and Luke that afternoon.

Sybeck1
03-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Is it a rumour if we know it exists? Anyway Attack on Hoth is in stock at BBTS:

Attack on Hoth Special Value Pack Exclusive - Star Wars 2010 - 2011 Star Wars Exclusives (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS19694&mode=retail)

General_Solo76
03-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I'd love to get this figure, and while they're at it, Hasbro might as well release the AT-ST in vintage packaging too so he's got something to harass the rebels in. :)

Masterfett
03-29-2012, 08:54 PM
That sucks about those sets being $80 and up, it's definitely clear that Hasbro needs to keep track of aftermarket activity on quite a few items.

I wouildn't mind if the new AT-ST imperial officer drivers figures had head sculpts where the goggles were molded onto the head like the old Kenner figure. Tired of the really loose goggles where they never fit. Such as the ones for the AT-AT commander figures.

Well if if you're getting tired of loose goggles and prefer them molded to the helmet, why not just superglue them on?

King_D
03-29-2012, 09:02 PM
That sucks about those sets being $80 and up, it's definitely clear that Hasbro needs to keep track of aftermarket activity on quite a few items.

Actually it's quite the opposite; they were offered to Target to sell as an "exclusive", which would limit their quantites and maximize Target's profit. That's why BBTS is selling them for double Target's MSRP, and not just for the AT-ST Driver.

CadBane
03-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Freemarket bro. I wouldn't buy it for that price but an online dealer who buys these can sell them for whatever they want. If people don't like it then they don't have to buy and if no one buys then the price will drop.

cncmegawarrior
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
I would love to see this guy on a vintage card back. And no way would I pay $80 for that set, even if it as awesome.

Tyranusspotting
04-02-2012, 06:02 AM
The two non-removable helmet AT-ST Drivers had some of the best generic human facial likenesses of their respective eras, IMO.

I found it to be pretty unfortunate neither the latest AT-ST Driver nor the AT-AT Commander were able to wear their goggles while having their helmets on- unless someone figured out how to customize them, which I'd love to hear about. The rumored single carded version should be able to wear them.

Also, it would be a fitting way to tribute either Richard Marquand (RIP) or Producer Robert Watts, seeing how both of them made their cameos as AT-ST Drivers.
http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/starwars_atst_driver_1.jpg

Idpullthecurtain
04-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I found it to be pretty unfortunate neither the latest AT-ST Driver nor the AT-AT Commander were able to wear their goggles while having their helmets on- unless someone figured out how to customize them, which I'd love to hear about. The rumored single carded version should be able to wear them.

I am not sure why you think this. :confused:
You should have a try putting them on. I display both these figures with the goggles on. There is no customising necessary and its not even tough to position them like that.

Tyranusspotting
04-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Great, after reading you reply I went ahead and carefully tried to put the AT-ST Driver's goggles on, followed by the helmet and guess what? The goggle strap snapped. :disgusted::mad:

There simply isn't enough space to house the strap while he's wearing the helmet, without completely distorting it.

Idpullthecurtain
04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Great, after reading you reply I went ahead and carefully tried to put the AT-ST Driver's goggles on, followed by the helmet and guess what? The goggle strap snapped. :disgusted::mad:

There simply isn't enough space to house the strap while he's wearing the helmet, without completely distorting it.

I will take some pics of mine, they have been on since day 1.
But now I am a little worried that they will snap.
Sucks yours snapped, and I feel bad now. But there really IS space. I will take some pics later.

Masterfett
04-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Sometimes it helps to heat it up to make the plastic soft, that way it might have more give thereby not snapping.

BountyHunterBen
04-04-2012, 07:07 AM
I managed to get the goggles on the helmet and down over the eyes as per the Vintage and POTF2 I believe and itworked brilliantly, but as time went on it started to split... :/

I'd rather the goggles be sculpted to the helmet...

Ben

Idpullthecurtain
04-04-2012, 07:16 AM
I managed to get the goggles on the helmet and down over the eyes as per the Vintage and POTF2 I believe and itworked brilliantly, but as time went on it started to split... :/

I'd rather the goggles be sculpted to the helmet...

Ben

Yikes, I'd better check mine out.

jamesanshutz
04-04-2012, 11:01 AM
IM getting tired of certain Imperial officers like AT-ST officers being released as multipack battle pack exclusives.

They need to be released as regular single carded figures for once. gawl...

King_D
04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I have mine with the goggles under the helmet, and I don't think it looks that bad...

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/AT-ST_Driver_006.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/AT-ST_Driver_006.JPG)

skytreader
04-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I have mine with the goggles under the helmet, and I don't think it looks that bad...

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/AT-ST_Driver_006.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/AT-ST_Driver_006.JPG)

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/picture/mc03steve/DEMOT1.JPG

tanksmasher
04-04-2012, 07:10 PM
I prefer to just leave them on the helmet. They look better that way.

CadBane
04-04-2012, 08:26 PM
With the goggles down I can't even see. How am I supposed to fight?

Sybeck1
06-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Old news for many here I know, but JediDefender has had posted they have seen this guy in person, and he has a new head.

JediDefender.com; Bringing Balance To The Force (http://www.jedidefender.com/)

Michael_Knight
06-23-2012, 04:28 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!

Tyranusspotting
06-23-2012, 05:21 PM
I will take some pics of mine, they have been on since day 1.
But now I am a little worried that they will snap.
Sucks yours snapped, and I feel bad now. But there really IS space. I will take some pics later.

If it's alright with you, I'd still be interested in seeing pictures of how you're displaying yours.

Sybeck1
06-23-2012, 05:52 PM
The two non-removable helmet AT-ST Drivers had some of the best generic human facial likenesses of their respective eras, IMO.

Also, it would be a fitting way to tribute either Richard Marquand (RIP) or Producer Robert Watts, seeing how both of them made their cameos as AT-ST Drivers.
http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/starwars_atst_driver_1.jpg

The one from the Battle of Hoth set favored the gentleman on the right, maybe this new one will pay homage to the one on the left.

mcvance
06-23-2012, 09:25 PM
I could think of A LOT of other figures I want to be made before another one of these? Why Hasbro? So you can reuse some left over parts you have an over abundance of?

Spookymufu
06-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I could think of A LOT of other figures I want to be made before another one of these? Why Hasbro? So you can reuse some left over parts you have an over abundance of?

speak for your self, I need 4 of these

bigbarada
06-23-2012, 10:05 PM
speak for your self, I need 4 of these

I'd like to get at least 2 myself.

Jcc2224Cody
06-23-2012, 10:25 PM
I want a few of these, have 2 of the old one, wouldn't mind 2 more for another AT-ST.

ArtieDuty
06-23-2012, 11:29 PM
For every exclusive they've had the ship's driver come out so this isn't too much of a shocker, I'd prefer single card over multipack like the Y-Wing Pilot though.

tanksmasher
06-24-2012, 02:13 AM
Doesn't really matter if they do a new head for this guy or not. I'll just swap it with an extra RFT or rebel pilot, commando or Imp Navy Cmdr.

GarvenDreis
06-24-2012, 02:41 AM
Well since they announced this, I finished my custom on my second Attack on Hoth AT-ST Driver.

The goggles snapped from stress so I took advantage of this and cut the straps off, glued it to the helmet, and added a spare chinstrap. I'm pretty happy with it.

I hope the new version has a chinstrap at least.

Darth_Brett
06-24-2012, 08:54 PM
The one from the Battle of Hoth set favored the gentleman on the right, maybe this new one will pay homage to the one on the left.

Yep, the original Kenner figure and the POTF2 figures were Marquand's likeness while the new VC Hoth BP figure was Mr. Watts' likeness.

Trooper31
06-25-2012, 04:21 AM
I hope this one pans out for the fall. This is a great figure and I'd like to be able to pick up a few more.

AaylaSecurasMan
06-26-2012, 08:02 PM
I'll pick up a couple as well. One for Hoth and the other one for the Endor display

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 08:31 PM
I'll pick up a couple as well. One for Hoth and the other one for the Endor display

This is something I've always wondered, wouldn't the AT-ST Drivers be dressed like AT-AT Drivers on Hoth because of the cold? Which, in turn, would mean that the AT-AT Drivers on Endor would be wearing the AT-ST Driver outfit?

I guess I'll never really understand why the AT-AT Drivers needed to wear fully pressurized suits like TIE Pilots. It's not like they were that high off the ground and it's not like the AT-AT cockpit wasn't pressurized already, since General Veers never needed a pressure suit. I mean, I love the AT-AT Driver uniform, but struggle to understand why they need all that protective gear.

Spookymufu
06-26-2012, 08:33 PM
This is something I've always wondered, wouldn't the AT-ST Drivers be dressed like AT-AT Drivers on Hoth because of the cold? Which, in turn, would mean that the AT-AT Drivers on Endor would be wearing the AT-ST Driver outfit?

thats exactly what Ive always thought and thats how I display mine

King_D
06-26-2012, 08:39 PM

I guess I'll never really understand why the AT-AT Drivers needed to wear fully pressurized suits like TIE Pilots. It's not like they were that high off the ground and it's not like the AT-AT cockpit wasn't pressurized already, since General Veers never needed a pressure suit. I mean, I love the AT-AT Driver uniform, but struggle to understand why they need all that protective gear.

Why would you assume that AT-AT Drivers are trained to drive an AT-ST, or vice versa?

Try not to overanalyze it and just appreciate it for what it is ;)

Spookymufu
06-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Why would you assume that AT-AT Drivers are trained to drive an AT-ST, or vice versa?

thats not what he said, just means that the AT-ST drivers on Hoth would wear the same pilot suits as the AT-AT drivers did, and that the AT-AT drivers on Endor wore the same uniforms as the AT-ST drivers did there

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 08:43 PM
thats exactly what Ive always thought and thats how I display mine

I'm glad I'm not the only one. This would also imply that the two Imperial Shuttle pilots seen at the beginning of ROTJ are really just your standard TIE Fighter Pilots who landed a cushy assignment.

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 08:49 PM

When I was in the Army, I was licensed to drive 4 different types of vehicles: the "Humvee", a CUCV, a 2.5 ton truck and a 5 ton truck. What good is a "driver" who can only drive one type of vehicle?

However, like Spooky said, that wasn't really my point. I just assumed that the AT-AT Drivers wore their protective gear for a reason and they didn't wear it when it wasn't necessary. So their uniform would adapt depending on their assignment and the planet they were on. Pretty like the real world military uniforms do.

King_D
06-26-2012, 09:22 PM
When I was in the Army, I was licensed to drive 4 different types of vehicles: the "Humvee", a CUCV, a 2.5 ton truck and a 5 ton truck. What good is a "driver" who can only drive one type of vehicle?

However, like Spooky said, that wasn't really my point. I just assumed that the AT-AT Drivers wore their protective gear for a reason and they didn't wear it when it wasn't necessary. So their uniform would adapt depending on their assignment and the planet they were on. Pretty like the real world military uniforms do.

And just like the real world military, you can't say that someone that's licensed to drive a CUCV is trained or capable of driving a M1A1; just saying...

CIS
06-26-2012, 09:34 PM

I have always thought this as well. Glad I'm not the only one!

SGT_A
06-26-2012, 09:37 PM
When I was in the Army, I was licensed to drive 4 different types of vehicles: the "Humvee", a CUCV, a 2.5 ton truck and a 5 ton truck.

Lol, CUCV's, bb, are you showing your age??? Jk

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 09:42 PM
And just like the real world military, you can't say that someone that's licensed to drive a CUCV is trained or capable of driving a M1A1; just saying...

I'll share a secret with you, the CUCV was just a Chevy Blazer with a camo paint job. I never did learn to drive an M1A1, but I did get a chance to learn on some of the smaller track vehicles, which was basically the same concept. I was simply never licensed to drive a track vehicle; but that didn't mean that I didn't know how to drive them.

Again, my point is not that AT-AT Drivers were driving AT-STs. My point was that the AT-AT Driver outfit we saw in ESB was designed to help them perform their duties in the extreme cold of Hoth and they wouldn't necessarily need all of that same gear on Endor. It's the qualifications of the guy inside the suit that makes him an AT-AT Driver, not the suit itself. So the guy trained to drive an AT-ST would still be in an AT-ST, but they would be wearing the same protective gear on Hoth that the AT-AT Drivers wore. That was my point, the uniforms would be adapted to the environment just like real world military uniforms are.

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Lol, CUCV's, bb, are you showing your age??? Jk

Yep, I actually joined the Army before the Gulf War started up, but didn't start basic training until June of 1991. We actually started phasing out the CUCVs and Deuces shortly after I got to my first duty station.

ArtieDuty
06-26-2012, 10:16 PM

The Snowtroopers are just Stormtroopers in cold weather gear, it makes sense for AT-AT Driver's and AT-ST Drivers's to be one and the same.

Curtis Saxton seems to think so: STAR WARS: Military Walkers (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/walkers.html#crew)

Spookymufu
06-26-2012, 10:19 PM
The Snowtroopers are just Stormtroopers in cold weather gear, it makes sense for AT-AT Driver's and AT-ST Drivers's to be one and the same.

Curtis Saxton seems to think so: STAR WARS: Military Walkers (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/walkers.html#crew)

naw, I disagree, I think the Snowtroopers were stormtroopers with special cold weather gear/training, like the Biker Scouts were stormtroopers with specialized speeder bike/scouting/jungle training etc

tanksmasher
06-26-2012, 10:24 PM
I think that's a valid argument. I often wondered whether you'd see the driver of the AT-ST on Hoth wearing the typical AT-ST uniform or what the AT-AT drivers wore.

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 10:29 PM

That's the way I see it. Otherwise, the Empire becomes this extremely inefficient, bloated, and almost ineffective organization... which actually might have been the point, now that I think about it.

naw, I disagree, I think the Snowtroopers were stormtroopers with special cold weather gear/training, like the Biker Scouts were stormtroopers with specialized speeder bike/scouting/jungle training etc

I think the Stormtroopers would be required to have multiple specializations. Because how many ice planets are there in the Star Wars galaxy? Probably not enough to justify having Snowtroopers who are trained for cold environments and only for cold environments. What would those guys do when the Empire is not conquering an ice planet?

In our military, if the theater of operations changes then the troops are expected to adapt. If war were to break out in Antarctica, then the Army would simply take all of those soldiers trained for desert warfare in Afghanistan and Iraq, and retrain them for combat operations near the South Pole.

ArtieDuty
06-26-2012, 10:40 PM
The Imperials are split up like the American Armed forces with Navy, Army, Starfighter Forces(Air Force) and Stormtroopers(Marines).

Biker Scouts, Stormtroopers and Snowtroopers are all the same guys with different training.

STAR WARS: Imperial Insignia (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/insignia/empire.html#services)

Spookymufu
06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I think the Stormtroopers would be required to have multiple specializations. Because how many ice planets are there in the Star Wars galaxy? Probably not enough to justify having Snowtroopers who are trained for cold environments and only for cold environments. What would those guys do when the Empire is not conquering an ice planet?

that isnt what I said, what I said was they were stormtroopers first and foremost, but they also had specialized training as well as "basic" skills and training.....Like the police who are street cops but also have SWAT training, or more of a military analogy, a sniper who is a soldier with all the basic skills but an added sniper skill set.

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Stormtroopers(Marines)

I was about to say that the Stormtroopers seem to be most like our US Marines (in the nature of their mission, not their competence level).

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 10:53 PM
that isnt what I said, what I said was they were stormtroopers first and foremost, but they also had specialized training as well as "basic" skills and training.....Like the police who are street cops but also have SWAT training, or more of a military analogy, a sniper who is a soldier with all the basic skills but an added sniper skill set.

Okay, yes, then let me stop disagreeing with you long enough to say that I completely agree with you. :grin:

So, just before the Battle of Hoth, all of the Stormtroopers ran back to their quarters, changed into their "snowtrooper" gear, then loaded onto the AT-ATs and they were ready to rock and roll. Or something like that.

SGT_A
06-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Always choose the right gear for the job! So, being that I worked with SF a bit in Iraq and Afghanistan, I noticed that they did their own thing in terms of gear, weapon, and uniform choices (or lack there of), what would the empires's SF troops look like, bounty hunters? Pertaining to this conversation, I have always thought that the ATST-ATAT drivers were the same

bigbarada
06-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Now all of this talk about AT-AT and AT-ST Drivers has got me really wanting to see the 2009 TLC AT-AT Driver repacked on a vintage card.

Trooper31
06-27-2012, 04:28 AM
I agree about snowtroopers and scout troopers being stormtroopers. The AT-ST drivers and the naval troopers, DST troopers and such were the regular troops while the stormtroopers were the specialized units.

I hope this guy gets announced for the fall at SDCC.

darthsatan
06-28-2012, 11:26 AM
And there was me thinking the whole idea of the Empire and it's armed forces was based on Nazis (who obviously had stormtroopers that were called stormtroopers). :whistling:

SGT_A
06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
And there was me thinking the whole idea of the Empire and it's armed forces was based on Nazis (who obviously had stormtroopers that were called stormtroopers). :whistling:

I always thought this as well, that Lucas based the Empire on the Axis of WWII

Darth_Bones
06-28-2012, 02:16 PM
I always thought this as well, that Lucas based the Empire on the Axis of WWII

Of course he did!!! I saw it in an interview somewhere, sorry that I can't remember where!!! Just look at Vaders helmet compared to a standard issue German helmet from WWII!!! If I remember correctly, GL said he got the idea to call the "bad guys" storm troopers because of the Nazi forces of the same name!!!

abwillhoite
06-28-2012, 02:27 PM
I think the helmet was a Iraqi Fedayeen helmet.

Iraqi Fedayeen (http://nuke.combat-helmets.com/IraqiFedayeen/tabid/100/Default.aspx)

Spookymufu
06-28-2012, 02:45 PM

Iraqi Fedayeen (http://nuke.combat-helmets.com/IraqiFedayeen/tabid/100/Default.aspx)

heh, Vaders appearance is so engrained into my brain those pics of the "soldiers" wearing them looks like guys out on Halloween in Vader helmets, I see that shape and cant think of anything other then Vader

bigbarada
06-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Are we sure those helmets aren't based on Darth Vader and not the other way around? It says they were produced for the Iraq War in 2003. Were they made at all before that? Maybe the designers of the helmet thought that the Vader-like appearance would make their troops look more intimidating?

jlw515
06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Of course he did!!! I saw it in an interview somewhere, sorry that I can't remember where!!! Just look at Vaders helmet compared to a standard issue German helmet from WWII!!! If I remember correctly, GL said he got the idea to call the "bad guys" storm troopers because of the Nazi forces of the same name!!!

The Imperial Officers were originally based off the Nazis. If you have the Star Wars Chronicles (coffee table style) book you can see John Mollo's original costume designs which even have the arm bands like the Nazis.

Now, Vader's helmet is actually based upon the ancient Samurai warrior helmets. Ralph McQuarrie came up with this. He was even the one to suggest to GL that Vader needed some sort of mask to wear so that he could travel (in space) between the Star Destroyer and the Blockade Runner. I guess they never thought there could be some sort of "air lock" tube, but anyway, that's where Vader's look comes from - (1) the necessity of a breath mask and (2) a helmet like a Samurai warrior. Again all of which is detailed in the Star Wars Chronicles book and also the Definitive Making of Star Wars book.

Jason

abwillhoite
06-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Are we sure those helmets aren't based on Darth Vader and not the other way around? It says they were produced for the Iraq War in 2003. Were they made at all before that? Maybe the designers of the helmet thought that the Vader-like appearance would make their troops look more intimidating?

Not really sure but I swear seeing this helmet before that but it has been almost 10 years since 2003 so who knows at this point. It made sense to me that Darth Vader's helmet was designed using this helmet because the low budget and the use of so much military surplus in the movies i.e. blasters and what not.

EDIT: From what I read looks like you're right bigbarada thanks for making me look stupid :D

SGT_A
06-28-2012, 05:42 PM
I was there in OIF I and I never saw this helmet and I fought through to Tikrit from Mosul and met a lot of resistance. That's crazy. I did fight a few Republican Guard though, p*****s!

Toonimator
06-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one. This would also imply that the two Imperial Shuttle pilots seen at the beginning of ROTJ are really just your standard TIE Fighter Pilots who landed a cushy assignment.
I agree... aside from the fact that many seem to have gray hair and be a bit older, I've long thought that the POTJ-style Imperial "officers" in black jumpsuits lining up to welcome Vader to the DS2 were really just TIE pilots out of their life-support gear. It's the same exact outfit, just without the torso 'armor'/harness, box, and helmet, and why I hated Hasbro passing them off as BTIOs for so many years. They could be TIE pilots, or just shuttle pilots who may only need TIE-gear in emergency situations. The DS2's big... taking turbolifts everywhere's probably a pain, so shuttle pilots may see a lot of activity ferrying officers from a hangar bay on one side of the DS2 to another hangar on the opposite side.

And I also love the notion that Imperial 'drivers' generally dress like AT-ST Drivers, and the AT-AT gear is just a driver's cold-weather gear.

AaylaSecurasMan
07-11-2012, 04:49 PM
So not a rumor anymore, and we not only get one but Two! :awesome:

Michael_Knight
07-11-2012, 08:20 PM
So not a rumor anymore, and we not only get one but Two! :awesome:

Woot!.....

AaylaSecurasMan
07-14-2012, 02:59 PM
So is there still hope that we will get this guy on a basic card? I doubt it after the 2-packs announced and vintage taking a break.

Darth_Brett
07-14-2012, 03:08 PM
So is there still hope that we will get this guy on a basic card? I doubt it after the 2-packs announced and vintage taking a break.

Of course there is a chance. But that could be in the next two years on a Legacy BAD card, or it could be three years from now when the Vintage line will undoubtedly make it's return.