PDA

View Full Version : FCTV - 071808

TallestJawa
07-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Jason has lost control this week as he hears more about the EU. Watching someone fall apart is always good for a laugh.

Tune in to Jason Unleashed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yVTUbxc1T0)

(It's ok, he takes it all back.)

As we learned in the EU, Asajj is still alive. She's the one that captured Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (who also aren't dead). She, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, and Jabba the Hutt are holding them captive (along with all the presumed-dead Ewoks) in the Death Star, which did NOT blow up over Yavin. They're the ones who made midichlorions. This was all explained in the "Republic Knights Unleashed" comic book series.

Womp
07-19-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm first in line? How did this happen?

Great video as always, Jawas! I nearly burst out laughing when Jason lost control on the FC this week, and this brought a smile to my face.

Thanks!

Jorbex
07-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Nice work! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric_Geller
07-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Dashing to Youtube now!

lost_mario_bro
07-19-2008, 05:20 PM
As we learned in the EU, Asajj is still alive. She's the one that captured Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (who also aren't dead). She, Darth Maul, Boba Fett, and Jabba the Hutt are holding them captive (along with all the presumed-dead Ewoks) in the Death Star, which did NOT blow up over Yavin. They're the ones who made midichlorions. This was all explained in the "Republic Knights Unleashed" comic book series.

You know, I think I read that!

Eric_Geller
07-19-2008, 06:18 PM
That was a great episode. I loved how Asajj rose from the grave and just slid off into the distance. Another Jawa masterpiece.

shazbazzar
07-19-2008, 09:59 PM

You know, I think I read that!

Methinks the Jawas need to come to the Star Wars Canon Live Discussions. Great minds think alike!

This video rocked, though.
Not that all of them don't.
The music, the countdown, the predictable going-off of Jason re: the EU (How can you justify reading Twilight and condemn the EU, Jason? How???)...

I'm pumped up on this video.
It's greatness!
I think I'll watch it again and again and again and again.
Because I'm so hyped on adrenalin now I can't sleep! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/ooo.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shazbazzar
07-19-2008, 10:10 PM
That was a great episode. I loved how Asajj rose from the grave and just slid off into the distance. Another Jawa masterpiece.

Yes, she rose from the grave and went to chase down PacMan.
No, Eric, that's not a football player, it's a game from the 80s. It's called Atari and in my day you couldn't "mod" a game to play it any old way you wanted to....You went to the store, you bought the game, you played it over and over and over and over and over and over again and you didn't get bored and say, "Hey, I think I'd like to put my face on Pac Man and go gobble up some wafers on my own." Did you hear that? They're called "wafers". That's what Pac Man eats...Wafers. And it wasn't boring, because you couldn't beat the game. It just kept going on and on and on and on and on and on like a horribly phrased run-on sentence typed by an overly hyped-up individual still going strong on the latest Jawa video...not to mention that video used to be on Beta. Yeah, Beta. It's not the current version of Skype; it's a vastly superior videotape that lost the battle to VHS. It's the format of all my old Ewoks and Droids shows that are sitting in boxes waiting for me to digitize them. "Digitize"...What's that mean? In my day the only thing that was "digital" was a watch or a clock or a really fancy, schmanzy microwave oven -- the kind that weighs as much as a Datsun 280 Z. Datsun. That's pre-Nissan to you. Before the third brake light. Before seatbelt laws. Before $4 per gallon gasoline. Back in the days when Pac Man was king. Which brings me to the point...

Nice use of Pac Man, Jawas. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TallestJawa
07-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Oh, wow, what a rant! Really getting into the spirit of the video, eh? Looks like you're losing it, too! We couldn't read straight through for all the LOLs. Atari, ha. Beta, ha! (It wasn't just "Beta", it was "Beta-MAX"!) Datsun, Hah!

Yeah, Pac-Man. Good times. Not sure about the "wafers" though, we always thought they were "pellets". And in the original Japanese they were "pucks" and he was Puc-Man but when they did the port to America one forward thinking marketing guy realized "Puc-Man" was too vulnerable to vandalism. Or at least that's the story.

Linky
07-20-2008, 01:34 AM
haha, brilliant

Eric_Geller
07-20-2008, 06:33 AM

I never knew you had it in you. May I have that soapbox back now?

JasonS
07-20-2008, 06:45 AM
How can you justify reading Twilight and condemn the EU, Jason? How???)...

Pretty simple, really. Twilight and Potter are examples of how to actually maintain suspense and (dare I say it) continuity throughout a series. It's not that anyone's lazy here. Frankly, there's nothing (Star Wars, Potter, Twilight, Narnia, LOTR, or otherwise) that I would commit to reading more than one (maybe two) books per YEAR about. When's the last time you saw a big advertisement for a Star Wars book on an e-mail from Borders? The new Twilight book is all over the site and their e-mails. Why? Because it's exciting! There's only one per year of these--and this one is the last (supposedly). Let's face it, due to over saturating the market, Star Wars Books have become NON EVENTS. Look at the final book of the Legacy of the Force series; outside of Star Wars media, there was little to no mention of it at all. I don't even recall seeing a POP display in the stores. It's just not a big deal. No Midnight Sales of the books either (unlike the toys and movies).

Some of this is due to the fact that I don't think that Star Wars translates very well into literature, and Potter and Twilight started out as literature. Bottom line is that Star Wars is a visual thing. Movies, TV, and little plastic figures are the ways that most fans want to consume their Star Wars. Anything beyond that takes a back seat and should either accompany the rest neatly or boldly strike out on their own, but PACE themselves to bring more fans along for the ride.

Eric_Geller
07-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Let's face it, due to over saturating the market, Star Wars Books have become NON EVENTS.

Fair enough.

Some of this is due to the fact that I don't think that Star Wars translates very well into literature,

This is where we disagree. I do think we need to pace the book releases better, but I don't think that the above statement is necessarily correct. And I know it's all based on opinion.

While they may not be books of Potter proportions, Star Wars books have the ability to build on the films, whereas many HP fans criticize the Potter films for not living up to the books. Doing a book first limits the success of other media, because die-hard fans (including myself) will always be disappointed by at least one little thing that they had imagined differently when the movie comes out. Star Wars burst out onto the big screen and gave audiences a whole new perspective on space operas. Star Wars books give audiences more scenarios in which to imagine their favorite characters. They also don't have to create as much basic imagery (such as the appearance of Luke or Darth Vader) because so much of that is already hard-wired into fans via the movies. The books, while numerous, allow SW fans to delve further into the lives of people who intrigue them in the saga. If you want to learn more about how Lando won Cloud City because you enjoyed those TESB scenes, you can do so in a book. If the idea of Han and Leia getting married was something you always wanted to see in ROTJ, you can read about it in a book.

But not all books are keepers. That's why, in an ideal world (read: my SW dream world), people like Sansweet and Filoni would have been checking books for consistency and believability as they were being released. Books that were simply put out for entertainment and that didn't enhance the saga would be released but not canonized. Books that lent to the overall messages and ideals of Star Wars would be canonized. Obviously the consensuses reached by those book inspectors wouldn't be agreed upon by everyone. But if the decisions were being made with at least minimal input from the Maker himself, fans could rest assured that the vision remained intact throughout all the book.

We don't need an EU reboot, we need a selective EU G-canonization.

shazbazzar
07-20-2008, 07:33 AM
How can you justify reading Twilight and condemn the EU, Jason? How???...

...Twilight and Potter are examples of how to actually maintain suspense and (dare I say it) continuity throughout a series...
...Potter and Twilight started out as literature. Bottom line is that Star Wars is a visual thing...

I can accept that answer. (edit:)There is a vast difference when a story begins as literature and then translates onto the big screen and when a story originates on film and is written about afterwards. Besides, Potter is extremely well written and well thought out (not that Star Wars isn't, they just don't compare for the above stated reasons).

...should either accompany the rest neatly or boldly strike out on their own, but PACE themselves to bring more fans along for the ride.

I'll buy that one, too.

But I've gotta tell ya, when the dark times were upon us and Timothy Zahn shed some light (not Twilight http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) on the scene, it was a welcome addition. I can't keep up with all the books, comics, etc. either, but I do try to check out the best things out there.

Come to the EU, Jason.
Embrace your destiny.
We'll turn you on to the best writers and the best stories.
Trust us.
Use your feelings.
Dare I say it...
...stretch out!

(Of course you know I kid because I love.)
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Womp
07-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I think there are three types of fans. In my profession, since submariners are all geeks of an extreme degree, I've dealt with all three.

(1) There are those who want to know everything about the Star Wars mythos, from what Lando ate this morning for breakfast to what exactly Motti's speed strap is.

(2) There are those who only care about the core saga movies and anything else beyond them is just fluff. The story began in Phantom Menace and ended in Return of the Jedi. A small subset of this variety also hold out hope that the infamous Supershadow is correct and Episodes 7, 8, and 9 are coming in about ten years.

(3) There are those who acknowledge the existence of the EU but get frustrated because they don't have the time, energy, or money to sink into exploring it.

I'm a number three. I enjoy the richness that the authors and artists have brought to the Star Wars universe, even if it means explaining what brand of diapers Han and Leia picked up at the Coruscant supermarket for young Jacen and Jaina. I love mythology, and I love to see how these characters continue to develop.

The downside is that you get stories that, for lack of a better term, suck. I think the reason these stories are so bad is because the characters in Star Wars aren't superheroes who come with the power of flight and a cape; rather they are normal people, some with an extra talent in some mystical energy, and they got thrust into extraordinary circumstances.

How do writers continue to deal with that when the fan base they are trying to deal with is so small? As a writer, I will state that it's difficult -- very difficult -- to keep coming up with something extraordinary for ordinary people to do. Hence, the writer's have to resort to "oh, the children got kidnapped, what do we do?" storylines. But, we can't possibly have some normal thug kidnap the kids purely because this is supposed to be somewhat exciting, so let's make him a Force-sensitive. But, then couldn't Luke just swoop in and save the day? So, let's occupy him with something else... something real. Have him search for the mother he never knew on the other side of the galaxy. Unfortunately, the led to Children of the Jedi and a few days of my time wasted.

I will agree that the market is over-saturated with the EU, but I counter that it's because we as fans are not willing to let it stop. J. K. Rowling said straight up that there were only seven Potter books, and we accepted it. The reason some series of books -- James Bond, Artemis Fowl, Dune -- continue as they do is because there's not so much of a cry from the fan base to keep it running. When new stories rise, they're happy. When those are done, they wait patiently. They don't constantly have toys, video games, comic books, children's books, repetitive soundtracks, and magazines flooding the consciousness and keeping it fresh. When the Bond series tried it, those fans voted that the games were horrible.

We as Star Wars fans encourage the market to keep the multi-billion dollar franchise in our faces with toys, candy, video games, re-re-re-re-releases of soundtracks, comics, sculptures, and bedding. The blame for the bland and generic state of the EU is purely our fault because we demand it.

Let me tell you, I'm glad it's this way. I would rather have a bland in-your-face franchise that stays alive and has to re-invent itself, to varying degrees of success, than to have a return to the dark times when Star Wars was nothing.

I'll accept the EU and everything else that goes with the franchise because it keeps it alive.

Eric, please take this soapbox away from me. It's dangerous.

Eric_Geller
07-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Amen, brotha Mike! I fall into the first category, I have to say. But if I could combine it with the third, I would. I'd love to know everything about Star Wars, but I recognize and admit that many of the books were terrible. At this point, it's more of a status thing for me to read all of the books -- I'm mostly doing it to say I've done it. Luckily, most of the books are actually very good. And on the subject of the EU over-inflation being our fault...well, when you have writers like Aaron Allston, Timothy Zahn, and Karen Traviss, why not push for more nuggets of lore to gobble up? I think that the franchise could survive without the same amount of EU flowing into our minds on a yearly basis, but I don't think it could survive without any more EU at all. They'd need a lot of movies and more than one TV series starting in the Fall for Star Wars to remain fresh.

Eric, please take this soapbox away from me. It's dangerous.

Thanks for playing, Womp. Anyone other takers? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

lost_mario_bro
07-20-2008, 10:22 AM
The EU in the state its in can never compare to Potter or Twilight. More on that in a moment.

I have heard from several sources, how they wish a Star Wars book release would be as exciting as the release of Harry Potter. There is really only one way to do it. And it can be done, but ask yourself this question. I'm a willing to live 3 to 5 years without any new Star Wars stories? And I don't mean living without books or comics for that length of time. I mean absolutely no Star Wars; no Clone Wars series, no live action series, nothing. Then after this new dark time you release one book a year. That is a scenario I'm not willing to live with.

Now the EU will never compare in terms excitement and continuity with Potter or Twilight. The main reason is length of series. Potter wrapped up in 7 books Twilight in 3(?). There are easily over 100 Star Wars novels. It easy to keep continuity strait for Potter and Twilight because they each have one author (Star Wars has dozens), plus those two series did not have to deal with a prequel trilogy that changed the continuity of their entire saga.

As for their excitement over the Star Wars EU, I think I can sum that up very quickly--they had a set ending. If J. K. Rowling was writing Harry Potter 20 and Stephanie Meyer was writing Twilight 17 with no end in sight no one but the die-hard fans would even care any more.

Now there is a quick fix in terms for bringing back excitement for the EU. As I have said many times, set a firm ending for the adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia. Release a 5 to 7 books series in which you announce that you will learn the final fates of the big three, and we learn whether they live happily ever after or not. I still say people would get excited like never before. By the end of the series you will have Star Wars fans camped out in front of books stores so they can be the first to see how the story ends. Then the EU can go back and fill in the gaps of the Saga.

I could go on, but I think I have rambled long enough. One more thing, I too have grown weary of the EU. I abandoned the comics long ago. That is why I have said all along that my "end point" to the saga will be Legacy of the Force. I may read a book that takes place chronological before the series, but if there is a story beyond that, sadly I don't care. I look forward to Clone Wars and live action series the way I used to for the books. But in the end they are also just another phase of the EU and probably we will be discussing in 10 years why our Star Wars TV series are not as exciting as the latest prime time network series.

Murray1134
07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Well said everyone.

I don't think it's fair to compare SW to Harry Potter. HP is at best not even 15 years old yet. SW is now 31 and fast approaching 32. Where will HP be in 2020? Will SW still be around?

Personally, I think we are all on a similar page and all thinking the same thing. SW doesn't need to go away ala Star Trek for a massive reboot and rebirth, but I think SW EU needs to slow down, make the books better. Make the books more of an event, maybe just 1 or 2 a year with more focus on content and story, rather than just getting the stories out there and getting the $.

SW is also very unique in that we have the hardcore fans (aka Us) who have read every story know the movies backwards and forwards and are out looking for new adventures. We are tired of reading the continuing adventures of Luke, Leia and Han as they save the galaxy again and again and again and again and again...

But, there is a flipside to this. There is the other part of the fan community, the more casual fan who are not sure about the story outside of the movies and characters who were not on screen. So maybe they aren't sure about a Darth Bane book or what exactly is happening in the KOTOR era.

I think so far Lucas and co. have done a pretty good job of balancing the two. I think if they keep doing it, but just slow down and make the books a bit larger and more than just filler. Things will be good. I think SW has a bright future and will continue.

TallestJawa
07-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Wow. Let the rants fly! Fly my monkeys, FLY!

We like how some of you talked about ending the EU. It reminded us of Pete's quote from this week: "The end.... Quite bitter."

Okay, off topic, well really ON topic, but off tangent. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif Trivia quiz! Can anyone name the scifi movie that this week's FCTV music came from?

lost_mario_bro
07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I know I have seen this movie! I can't think of it! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Brain cramp! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

shazbazzar
07-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Titan A.E.

Is that in the EU?

lost_mario_bro
07-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Titan A.E.

*Beats own head into wall* http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

KudosDas
07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Rants aside (good points all!), I'm currently working in the local municipal graveyard as part of my summer job and would be totally stoked if Asajj jumped out of a grave the way she did in the video. That is, of course, so long as she decided NOT to slice my head off with her lightsabers...

Great video as always Jawas!

shazbazzar
07-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Welcome, KudosDas, to the cyberland of rants and raves and soapboxes and craves.
Where some jeer "Ewww!"
To the thought of EU.
Welcome to the joys of trivia and hype and chats and Skype.
Where some cry "Spoiled!"
When their heroes get foiled.
Welcome, KudosDas, to the Weekly Force-Cast forums.
Great to have you here!
Jump right in.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

shazbazzar
09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Shameless bump.

Have y'all seen this one lately?

This is classic Jawas, genuine Jason, and precision Pete!

I just re-watched it and I'm super-pumped!
A real "feel-gooder"!

Long Live the EU.

(Relief from running all over town looking for Invincible without success.) http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But I did see TFU ShadowTroopers, though! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shazbazzar
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
"No, in fact she did not die."