PDA

View Full Version : o-ring repairs

GI_Joe
03-20-2008, 10:45 PM
i just got 100 o-rings off of ebay for $4. i've been putting a new ring in my looser vintage figures, and it's amazing how it tightens up their joints. has anyone else done this?

Darth_Soundwave
03-20-2008, 11:35 PM
I Have ...... with over 500 figures.

CobraKaiDojo
03-20-2008, 11:38 PM
...Only since they first came out.

Taking apart Joe's, repairing, and creating customs was almost a rite of passage. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GI_Joe
03-23-2008, 11:13 PM
can you buy the o-rings or screws at home depot? what sizes? i'd like to replace the screws too. alot of mine are rusty.

SSIntimidator
03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
A couple replies on this already are here. (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2926211&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#2926211)

#8 o-ring.

I haven't had to buy any screws, the rust usually just scrapes off when I'm turning the driver. If it's rusted to the point you can't even get them out then don't bother with it.

GI_Joe
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
thank you.

i can get them out fine, but i just thought i might change them out.

SSIntimidator
03-24-2008, 12:19 PM
ah. yeah i don't know the size on 'em then. I just put them back in since I don't plan on doing this again http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JTKenobi
03-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Is there any way to swap out Zartan's O-ring? His torso doesn't come apart.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

CobraKaiDojo
03-27-2008, 11:24 PM

Yeah, Zartan's tough. The problem with Zartan is that the color changing properties crust up over time and consequently makes the torso piece stick together. Also, alot of kids got him wet playing with him on the Swamp Skier (like they did in the original commercial) which can also screw him up. Getting that apart depends on how well your Zartan has weathered. (I actually had one that came apart, but the others I had were stuck.)

If yours (like most) is stuck, then the only thing I can think of is:

-Fish out the old o-ring.

-Find a longer o-ring that's long enough for you to kind of thread around the center peg, yet must be skinny enough so that both ends fit into the hook in the metal hip joint. You'll need a set of tweezers that are small, yet long enough to work under the torso hole.

Back in the day (late 80's) I actually tried something similar using a regular rubber band. It worked for the most part, but he was obviously too loose. So if you can find an actual o-ring that fits the bill, it could work fine.

DarthTim
03-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Has anyone bought supplies from smalljoes.com?
They seem to have lots of g.i. joe supplies (o-rings, screws, etc.)
http://smalljoes.com/supplies_index.shtml

JTKenobi
03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, Zartan's tough. The problem with Zartan is that the color changing properties crust up over time and consequently makes the torso piece stick together. Also, alot of kids got him wet playing with him on the Swamp Skier (like they did in the original commercial) which can also screw him up. Getting that apart depends on how well your Zartan has weathered. (I actually had one that came apart, but the others I had were stuck.)

-Find a longer o-ring that's long enough for you to kind of thread around the center peg, yet must be skinny enough so that both ends fit into the hook in the metal hip joint. You'll need a set of tweezers that are small, yet long enough to work under the torso hole.

Back in the day (late 80's) I actually tried something similar using a regular rubber band. It worked for the most part, but he was obviously too loose. So if you can find an actual o-ring that fits the bill, it could work fine.

Thanks for the reply. It says here ( http://www.yojoe.com/action/84/zartan.shtml ) that the torso was molded as 1 pc but that can't be otherwise I don't know how they would have put him together in the first place. I am thinking they first assembled the figure and then added the color-changing coating and it is this layer/coating that is making him stick. Sound right?

Mine is good and stuck and I am wondering what will happen if I force it. Has anyone tried this? Obviously I don't want to damage the figure.

JTKenobi
04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Has anyone bought supplies from smalljoes.com?
They seem to have lots of g.i. joe supplies (o-rings, screws, etc.)
http://smalljoes.com/supplies_index.shtml

I just got my order of O-rings from SMALLJOES.COM and while they work OK for some figures, they are too thick to work well on many of the older figures (1982 and 1983?). When I inquired if they had thinner O-rings to exchange for the ones I got, they were very rude and gave the me whole 'we never had a single complaint before' routine instead of trying to understand why these rings DO NOT work for the figures with the older style (non-tapered) shoulder peg which fits into the torso.

On the figs where this little peg is not tapered there is not enough room for the SMALLJOES.COM O-rings to fit well so the arms become too tight. I broke my Stalker's arm after replacing the O-ring because it was too tight with the new O-ring in there. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GI_Joe
04-05-2008, 09:15 PM

i posted in another thread that i actually had this problem with 2 different zandars. i was able to get zandar's chest and back separated on both figures. i slowly pried(sp?) him apart with the tiniest precision flathead screwdriver i could find. i was very worried about damaging him, but i managed to do it without hurting him.

i checked yojoe.com and it said the same thing about his body construction as it did zartan's. oddly though it didn't mention zarana's torso being molded together.

ThallJoben
01-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Digging up a 7-year old thread to ask an O-ring rubber-band question: A while back, I was looking through my G.I. Joe Comic two-pack figures that I got in the early/mid 200X's - note these all pre-dated the 2007 25th anniversary figures. These all were produced in the ARAH Vintage style, and all had the O-rings. And, I noticed that two of the rubber-bands had completely broken. The figures were fine otherwise.

Does anyone know of a place where I can buy just these specific rubberbands at a retail store? I'd rather not go online for something this small, and since I only need 2 I don't want to get a lot of these in bulk since that would also involve shipping, etc. Also, note I don't have any Vintage ARAH 1982-199X? figures anymore, so I would only need them for these 2 Vintage-style figures...All of the other G.I. Joe: ARAH-type figures I have are from 2007-on, so no O-rings there...

Side-note: I'm not a huge fan of the O-ring figures because of the problems I detailed above; maybe they're alright for the short-term, but not long-term..

Thanks in advance for any responses to my question.

Imperial_PR
03-26-2015, 09:27 PM
In a pinch I've used small rubber bands that are used for braces, in place of O-Rings.

JediJosh19
03-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Digging up a 7-year old thread to ask an O-ring rubber-band question: A while back, I was looking through my G.I. Joe Comic two-pack figures that I got in the early/mid 200X's - note these all pre-dated the 2007 25th anniversary figures. These all were produced in the ARAH Vintage style, and all had the O-rings. And, I noticed that two of the rubber-bands had completely broken. The figures were fine otherwise.

Does anyone know of a place where I can buy just these specific rubberbands at a retail store? I'd rather not go online for something this small, and since I only need 2 I don't want to get a lot of these in bulk since that would also involve shipping, etc. Also, note I don't have any Vintage ARAH 1982-199X? figures anymore, so I would only need them for these 2 Vintage-style figures...All of the other G.I. Joe: ARAH-type figures I have are from 2007-on, so no O-rings there...

Side-note: I'm not a huge fan of the O-ring figures because of the problems I detailed above; maybe they're alright for the short-term, but not long-term..

Thanks in advance for any responses to my question.

I've purchased O-rings at hardware stores and places like Lowes and Home Depot. It is best to take apart a figure that doesn't have a broken O-ring and take that with you to compare for size, or if you don't want to take apart an unbroken Joe, at least take the broken one with you.

ThallJoben
04-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Good to know - Thanks for the responses, everyone.

the_wet_sandal
04-22-2015, 06:49 PM
You could also just tie off a rubber band and substitute it in if it's hard to find o rings. Hope this helps