PDA

View Full Version : Is the 25th Ann. line the best mainstream figure..

Fignuts
02-26-2008, 01:59 AM
...line at the moment?
I think so. I can't speak for all mainstream toylines, as I don't collect transformers or wrestling figures.

I collect Star Wars, Marvel, DC, and GI JOE figures. At the current time, hasbro's got a lot of complaints about how they are running the marvel line. DC Superheroes is a great line with fantastic sculpts, but poor distribution and the wealth of accecories that come with the remaining two lines keep it from being the best in my eyes.

Here's where it gets argueable as both the SW Ann line and GI Joe Ann line have been godsends for fans. WHile star wars has been great this past year, I think the new joes are just better. More articulation, more detail, and more accecories. Note that I'm not saying the line as a whole is better as gi joe has yet to implement vehicles yet, which for some is a deciding win for star wars. But I truly believe that in terms of the figures themselves gi joe is the best mainstream line today.

DacaZ
02-26-2008, 01:17 PM
On the whole I would say that GI JOE is producing the best value for the money right now, hands down. The sculpts and level of articulation are both fantastic. I few of my figures have been overly loose, but those have been the exception to the rule. I still can't believe I'm getting figures like these for around $5.00.

Trev
02-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Gotta be the best packaging for certain. Considering most lines have the same card back with a different insert for each character, this is one of the few lines you'd really like to display still carded.

Fignuts
03-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Just picked up the 3 new figures from wave 6(Rock and Roll, Cobra Commander in Battle Armor, and Torpedo) and wow, torpedo may be the best of the line thus far. I didn't even want torpedo tbh, but once i opened him up, i fell in love with it. The accesories for this guy are amazing.

Cobra Commander has a phenomenal sculpt, but they gave him beacheads sculpt underneath the helmet instead of the fred.

Rock and roll is a basic green shirt sculpt with new webgear, head sculpt, and machine gun. Still pretty cool tho.

Eleyre
03-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Cobra Commander has a phenomenal sculpt, but they gave him beacheads sculpt underneath the helmet instead of the fred.

You could always buy the Crimson Guard comic pack and swap heads. It makes the Cobra Commander have a bit of a wobbly head, but it works fairly well for the Crimson Guard since they have their helmet on anyways. The only real problem is that they painted the neck a flesh color, so if you try to have him looking upwards it looks a bit funny.

ThorOakenfelder
03-02-2008, 02:30 AM
I think the new Halo figures are pretty nice. G.I. Joe are cheaper still, so I think that still gives it the edge, but the Halo figures are nice.

9mm_Ed
03-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I still feel that these new Joes have a long way to go, and that they aren't much better in the articulation department than their predecessors. Ok, ok, let me be specific: most of them can't sit. Most of them can't bend their arms at 45 degrees. The equipment isn't 100% interchangeable. I worry about breaking a hand or leg every time I pick one up to pose them or something.

I feel that Star Wars has issues with articulation too, but they are sturdier figures with more detail and accessories that are character specific. The new Joes are only so-so with this. but this year shows a huge improvement, though. I'm still in it with the Joes

Sidiously_Darth
03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I have to agree with previous comments about gettting good value for your money. Even with WM raising its price, you're still getting a figure under $6 unlike SW, which runs you btwn $7 and $7.50.

CobraKaiDojo
03-05-2008, 06:58 PM
...and on top of that, EVERY figure in the line is SA. No cheesy cutbacks, no "the SA mold is in use," no stupid action features. And while some are better than others, I can truthfully say that there is not a single dud in this line.

Toonimator
03-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I'd call Shipwreck a dud. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But overall, some great figures. If there's gonna be a closed fist on a character, though, there should be a swappable 'accessory grip' hand. Fantastic classic packaging (and actually ON the pegs, not the pretentious SW Vintage 'encased in plastic' price-hike justifier.

I just wish the Joes' helmets were better, for those that have 'em. Haven't picked up Flash yet, but Duke & Roadblock have awful helmets. I wanna dig up my few remaining originals and try those helmets on 'em.

Fignuts
03-05-2008, 09:38 PM
The srticulation problems are true of the first couple waves, but they have since fixed these issues.

wookncrook
03-06-2008, 08:18 PM

That's the first thing I did! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You could always buy the Crimson Guard comic pack and swap heads. It makes the Cobra Commander have a bit of a wobbly head, but it works fairly well for the Crimson Guard since they have their helmet on anyways. The only real problem is that they painted the neck a flesh color, so if you try to have him looking upwards it looks a bit funny.

Fignuts
03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Actually upon retrospect, I am actually glad they didn't make him fred. As when the original figure was released it was intended to be the actual cobra commander. And as a kid thats how I always saw him too. Never did find the blasted thing tho.

Fignuts
03-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Thats another reason this line is awesome. I was never the kid with all the figures and vehicles and stuff. I had my fair share, but there where a LOT of figures I wanted and just never found. Afterall, I couldn't just drive to the store in my power wheels and use my monopoly money. So getting figures like BA Commander and the Crimson Gaurd feels like vindication for me.