Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Tutorials, Useful Threads, & Customizing Questions

Tutorials, Useful Threads, & Customizing Questions

This is the Customizing Question & Answer thread - if you have a question about the customizing hobby - post it here! All questions are fair game, whether its about parts, paint, tools, photography, or even a request for a picture. From now on, all questions should be posted here - dont create new threads (they will be deleted). Fellow customizers - if you know an answer, please reply directly to the person asking the question, by quoting them and posting a reply! Thanks.

Tutorials, Useful Threads, & Customizing Questions

Re: Customizing Question & Answer thread

QUESTION:

Quote Originally Posted by spect_spidey
    I had a customizing question regarding the Clone Wars line of figures. Is the articulated Obi Wan or Anakin Clone wars figures legs compatible with the Clone Wars Plo Koon, Mace Windu, and Kit Fisto? I really prefer my figures to have the most articulation possible, but I don't want to spend extra money on Obi & Anakin figures for their legs if they won't fit on the other Jedi's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like I'm wasting my time in this thread (36 views), but take a look at this and tell me what you think about the dye if you've used it before.
    Looking to buy or trade for GI Joe Kreo Cobra army builders. Please PM if you can help me out.

High Admiral

Tontus, I have used this stuff in applications involving plastic dashboards and such on cars. Works very well. For figures....I am thinking it will work as well, but like the guy said in the article...if it has been painted before, paint fills up the pores in the plastic and makes it where the dye will not seep in the way its supposed to. But on the joints....may be a viable option. Just coat in thin layers. I have had the best luck on joints by boiling, popping, and sanding them down.

Plus, like the guy in the article stated, if you have black arm joints....you are going to have issues dying them. You will have to coat in white (I have never personally used white vinyl color at all) then put on a coat of whatever color.

Anyhow, just my two cents. If you do have a bleach stain, or want to dye carpet in your car, home or garage, this stuff works great for that. I had an 89 Convertible Camaro....the seats got replaced, but I wanted black carpet. The cost was ridiculous, so I opted for the dye. Worked like a charm, and never peeled or faded off the whole time I had the car!

Here's a quick question...

What kind(s) of plastic are Hasbro modern Star Wars figures made out of? The reason I ask is that the glue that I have always used for figures (perfect glue 2) has been discontinued and I am looking for a really good glue that sets quickly. It seems like each glue I research says that it only works with specific types of plastic, but I don't know what type of plastic I am dealing with.

Any help or general glue tips?
    abwillhoite likes this.
    Hasbro, hear my plea for the Rickshaw Droid!
    Current top five most wanted: rickshaw droid, Kalyn farnmir, veedaaz awmeth, toonbuck toora, mosep.
    My feedback thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t858622/

7. Thanks from: abwillhoite

Heck, I just use plain 'ole superglue. Just don't overdo it and hold the parts you are gluing together really hard for like 30-45 seconds. I've never had any problems...
    Things I need :
    ML Avengers 6" Cpt. America
    NECA AvPR Predalien
    (at LESS than eBay prices)
    "Warning: If your Man is Iron for more than four hours, consult your Doctor Doom..." -Stephen Colbert

9. Thanks from: abwillhoite

Wow. That was a fast answer. Thanks. I've always had issues with white residue from super glue. Then again, it has been years since I've used it. Maybe I'm remembering it as more of an issue than it really is.
    Hasbro, hear my plea for the Rickshaw Droid!
    Current top five most wanted: rickshaw droid, Kalyn farnmir, veedaaz awmeth, toonbuck toora, mosep.
    My feedback thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t858622/

No, it definitely can be an issue. Just go easy on it! It doesn't really take a whole lot to get the job done... you can always paint over the white stuff too!

Just set out a blob o' super glue on something, and use a toothpick or pin to apply it to the surface you are working on. Don't use so much that some oozes out when you squeeze the two pieces together and you oughta be fine!

One thing to know about superglue is that it almost sort of melts the materials and fuses it together. Not completely, but that's how it works on a molecular level. Or so I'm told. So it seems to hold the strongest for me.

I swap neckposts a lot and superglue is about the only thing I've found that works well with all the various types of plastic Hasbro has used over the years. By that I mean you can stick something made of the rubbery plastic to something made of the hard plastic with no trouble at all.

I know it's some relatively simple advice, but I hope I helped.
    abwillhoite likes this.
    Things I need :
    ML Avengers 6" Cpt. America
    NECA AvPR Predalien
    (at LESS than eBay prices)
    "Warning: If your Man is Iron for more than four hours, consult your Doctor Doom..." -Stephen Colbert

12. Thanks from: abwillhoite

Needs help finding a customizer:

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkriegtrench
    Hey There Everybody,
    Last year I comissioned a customiser her to repaint me 2 Star Tours R4-M9 droids [Red and Green} and I forgot who it was
    If it's you please drop me a P.M. .
    Help Me 'Scummers You're My Only Hope ,
    Thanx,
    Spencer Dean Welch II?:>}

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast