Thread: Scalping sanctioned by WOTC at C2?

Scalping sanctioned by WOTC at C2?

I can't believe all the reports I've been hearing from people that attended Celebration 2. Tons of scalpers were ALLOWED to sell their overpriced items at the event without a bit of shame, & not a thing was done by WOTC to stop it. WOTC had total power to do something about it, but instead, they decided to just sit back & let it happen. I'm sure WOTC made quite a bit of money selling "spaces" or "tables" for scalpers to use at the event, but did they need the money that bad, so much so that they would allow scalpers to thrive at a fan event & be allowed to take advantage of the situation? While I don't really blame the scalpers too much (since they don't hold a gun to anyone's head forcing them to buy), I DO blame WOTC for not doing anything to prevent that sort of thing from happening. Reports of figures like Dooku, Yoda, Royal Guard selling for $20-$25, Y-Wings selling for $90, & of course, the ever popular (but equally lame) Jorg Sacul figure fiasco is just inexcusable. For an organization that claims to exist "for the fans," WOTC sure didn't have a problem sanctioning scalping at C2, did they?
    I have binders full of astromechs.

Re: Scalping sanctioned by WOTC at C2?

Personally, what went on with at the tables isn't that big of a deal. You had to know what was gonna be there and that it was gonna be over expensive. But with the C2 figure that was a joke...if you are gonna make rules concerning avalibilty atleast enforce them. I am glad I didn't go cause I would have been pissed to see the same guys consistantly cutting in line. But it is over...in a way I hope they do some sort of fanclub release, not in the same packaging, but the figure and then the scalpers will get screwed...but I guess that is life [IMG]images/icons/smile.gif[/IMG]

The thing about it is the fact that WOTC could've done something about it. They could've layed out some guidelines for people buying tables listing that you wouldn't be allowed to gouge people by marking up figures 3x their average retail price. But I guess WOTC has their own set of scalping practices, so they aren't innocent either. From their overpriced "fan club exclusives" to their excessive shipping charges, they are obviously not in it for the fans.
    I have binders full of astromechs.

•    

test
    Dustin Roberts
    Content Manager
    TheForce.net - Your Daily Dose Of Star Wars
    Rebelscum.com - Star Wars Collecting News
    R2D2Central.com - Chicks Dig The Dome!