Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Please help me identify if these are reseals/recards

Please help me identify if these are reseals/recards

After hearing about the faked AFA Boba Fett I started to read up more and more on fakes and got really freaked out when hearing out about how people will even use yellow bubbles, sticker residue, etc to "rough up" a card, and then when I learned that the waffle pattern is not the fail safe I thought it was, I REALLY started to freak out and decided to go through my collection and check out every figure. Below are the pictures of things that concerned me. I suspect a lot of these you'll be able to quickly dismiss as legit (at least that's my hope), but there are some things that weren't consistent with the majority of my carded ones. Any help in identifying these is greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry there are so many, I just got really paranoid and would love the peace of mind knowing that they are not reseals, and if any of them are, I'd like to get authentic ones.

Again, thank you so much for your time and expertise!

Wicket ROTJ

Here's Wicket on a ROTJ card. I was concerned about that line going up through the seal. I've had this figure for about 20 years though, so I don't know how good resealing "technology" was back then.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Stormtrooper ROTJ

Here's another one I've had about 20 years.

[IMG][/IMG]

Squidhead ROTJ

Some concerns with some minor tearing under the bubble at the top, but it doesn't go all the way around or anything.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Bespin Security Guard ESB

This one stood out to me because the waffle pattern comes to a point where two sections meet rather than going all the way around.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

R2-D2 with Lightsaber POTF

Had this one about 20 years. There are four indents, two on each side of the part that's sealed, is that just from the factory?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Rancor Keeper ROTJ

Does that look normal on the corner?

[IMG][/IMG]

Power Droid ROTJ

I've always assumed that stuff on the edge of the bubble was just excess plastic from when it got trimmed at the factory, but I was concerned about it now, so here it is.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Lumat POTF

This one has the type of bubble I believe they used in Mexico, it's shinier than the normal bubble.

[IMG][/IMG]

Luke Poncho POTF

This is the one that has me the most concerned. On the right side going along the length it looks like there might be a very, very fine tear line. But it's right at the edge of the heat seal and where the bubble goes to the open part where the figure is. In some angles it almost looks like it's the light reflecting on the plastic, but in other lights it looks like a very fine tear. I can't see anything else on the bubble that makes me think it was resealed though, but then again I don't know and why I need some expert advice!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Logray ROTJ

Some slight tearing under the bubble at the top, but I've always thought it was just a lift.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Leia Combat Poncho ROTJ

Again what I assume to be excess plastic on the bubble from the factory, and is the heat seal overlapping the bubble normal?

[IMG][/IMG]

Klaatu Skiff Guard ROTJ

That ripple pattern?

[IMG][/IMG]

Imperial Dignitary POTF

That dark spot to the right of my thumb?

[IMG][/IMG]

Jedi Luke ROTJ

Some tearing under the bubble.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Klaatu ROTJ

[IMG][/IMG]

Chewbacca POTF

There's that weird thing coming in at an angle on the heat seal on the edge between the figure and the coin.

[IMG][/IMG]

C-3PO 20 Back

Slight tear under bubble at top. Also, under the bubble in with C-3PO is a little thread or thin strip of plastic, and there is also one of the same material that is half glued under the heat seal and partially sticking out.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Biker Scout ROTJ (made in Mexico)

[IMG][/IMG]

Bossk ESB (ES

Some little markings on the left side on heat seal, and on the right side there is a little thread or hair under the heat seal.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

AT-AT Driver ESB

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Admiral Ackbar ROTJ

[IMG][/IMG]

4-LOM ESB

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by DarkKnight07; 08-01-2014 at 02:22 AM.

Again, sorry for so many, just got really paranoid while going through them. If I can provide better pictures of anything or answer any questions please let me know.

Here's a checklist of the ones above:

4-LOM
    Ackbar
    AT AT Driver
    Biker Scout
    Bossk
    C-3PO
    Chewbacca
    Imperial Dignitary
    Jedi Luke
    Klaatu
    Klaatu Skiff
    Leia Poncho
    Logray
    Luke Poncho
    Lumat
    Power Droid
    R2-D2 Lightsaber
    Rancor Keeper
    Bespin Security Guard
    Squidhead
    Stormtrooper
    Wicket

Now I realize the likelihood that ALL of those are reseals is very, very slim to non-existent, but it's a peace of mind thing. And I'm sure some of you will be like "he's worried about that!?!?" But that's why you guys are the experts!

A lot of the things I pictured I'm assuming are just things from the manufacturing process, but I'm not a 100% sure what to look for for signs of a recard. I did some research and know to look for things like excess glue, tape, misaligned artwork, and things of that nature, but I'm not sure of ALL the things to look for or how some of these things present themselves.

Grand Moff

On first glance I see not problems with any of them. There are good and bad looking seals, but non seem resealed. All are in line with the print and pealing in the innerpart of the bubble is usualy stress 'cause by the bubble pulling paint/paper from the card.

O, and as a little advice in taking pictures (for you and to all others): close ups only work if they are infocus. It's better to take a little distance and to get a infocus picture than to get in close and go out of focus. Most lenses can't handle a good close up. Nowadays regular pics from a normal distance have enough detail to zoom in the actual pic (if you post a like to the original pic). Also laying an item down and then take a pic (in good light conditions) will eliminate one shaky thing out of the equation

-Alex
    DarkKnight07 and jimmii like this.

Thanks so much for checking those all out! I really appreciate it and it's great to have the peace of mind knowing there all genuine. I was hesitant to put so many on at once, but I wanted to get it over with all at once rather than spreading out the agony of waiting to figure out if they are all legit, and I didn't want to post them in separate threads because I didn't want to monopolize the board.

And thanks for the tips on the pictures. I was trying to angle them so the light would highlight the areas in question, but that's great advice about the close ups in that with the zoom feature on computers people can get close up as it is. I hadn't even thought about that. I was struggling with trying to get clear pictures on some of those shots as you noticed, and that would have made it a lot easier. If there was anything of possible concern I can certainly retake the pictures.

Thanks again for your help.

Ensign

They all look good to me too. What I've seen happening as the figures get older is that the heat seal coating is starting to lose its hold to the cardback. This is what causes some of the micro-tears under the flange of the blister as it slowly starts to lift from the card. Unfortunately, I had this happen to my sealed 21 back Boba Fett I've owned since 1991. The whole flippin' blister just fell off the card. Although, it makes the cardback look as close to owning a proof as I'll ever come, it's still disappointing. I'd probably be more upset if I had paid today's prices for it. In fact, in others I've looked at online, I can see that this might be a problem for this figure across the board as time goes by. It looks like that early Fett had a very thin strip of the material used around the edge of the heat sealing shuttle on that figure, so there's not much holding it on. What I mean is, the material that creates the waffle pattern on most figures was not a very thick piece on a lot of the 21 Fetts. Don't be surprised if you see more of this in the future.

Any way, happy to see that your figures look like they're free of issues.
    DarkKnight07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by modyssey View Post
    It looks like that early Fett had a very thin strip of the material used around the edge of the heat sealing shuttle on that figure, so there's not much holding it on. What I mean is, the material that creates the waffle pattern on most figures was not a very thick piece on a lot of the 21 Fetts. Don't be surprised if you see more of this in the future.
    Wow you're right. I've never noticed that only about half of the seal region on my Fett is actually sealed. I've always been careful to keep it on its back so gravity adds a little bit of additional force to keep the seal tight (or at least doesn't actively pull the blister off) Do you think that will help?

How soon will it be until all these figures are too fragile to ship?

Quote Originally Posted by modyssey View Post
    They all look good to me too. What I've seen happening as the figures get older is that the heat seal coating is starting to lose its hold to the cardback. This is what causes some of the micro-tears under the flange of the blister as it slowly starts to lift from the card. Unfortunately, I had this happen to my sealed 21 back Boba Fett I've owned since 1991. The whole flippin' blister just fell off the card. Although, it makes the cardback look as close to owning a proof as I'll ever come, it's still disappointing. I'd probably be more upset if I had paid today's prices for it. In fact, in others I've looked at online, I can see that this might be a problem for this figure across the board as time goes by. It looks like that early Fett had a very thin strip of the material used around the edge of the heat sealing shuttle on that figure, so there's not much holding it on. What I mean is, the material that creates the waffle pattern on most figures was not a very thick piece on a lot of the 21 Fetts. Don't be surprised if you see more of this in the future.

Any way, happy to see that your figures look like they're free of issues.
    Thanks for checking out my pictures and taking the time to look over them, and awesome to hear confirmation that they all look good! Definitely a relief.

And sorry to hear about your Boba Fett. That's awful!

Quote Originally Posted by porkinsred6 View Post
    Wow you're right. I've never noticed that only about half of the seal region on my Fett is actually sealed. I've always been careful to keep it on its back so gravity adds a little bit of additional force to keep the seal tight (or at least doesn't actively pull the blister off) Do you think that will help?

How soon will it be until all these figures are too fragile to ship?

Good question. I know from past experience that the Tri-Logo Anakins are probably past that stage already. If I recall right, I had to try four times to get one that arrived without the figure going through the bubble. But those of course are much lower quality bubbles. But the glue thing, who knows. Unfortunately these things weren't made to last. I have horrible thoughts sometimes of walking into the collection room and seeing that everything has fallen open!

I see that telltale waffle pattern on just about everyone, so they look ok to me. But, it is always hard to judge from pictures of the item as a whole. I've always felt comfortable when I see that waffle pattern go all the way around the bubble with no signs of tears of the backing.
    WTB: MOC or AFA Boba Fett ESB 31 back, ESB 41 back, ESB 45 back, ESB 47 back, ROTJ Tri logo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast