Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help with a Garage Kit Tie Bomber

Help with a Garage Kit Tie Bomber

Hi every one
    I found this Garage Kit Tie Bomber some time ago thinking it was a little different from everything else I had so I went ahead and purchased it. I have been searching on and off for any information about this particular one but have not yet found anything. Does anybody know any information about these kits or could they point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance for any help
    Scott

Never ever seen this before. Very cool though.

3. Thanks from: Pekboy

Thanks mate, that is why I bought it at the time as it was different. Can anybody help with information? Anyone??
    Quote Originally Posted by greedodidntshoot View Post
    Never ever seen this before. Very cool though.

Ensign

Really cool piece. Is it in scale with 3.75" figures?

Looks like a Japanese "Garage kit" Tie Bomber. They were bootleg cast copies of the original Kenner Tie Bomber. They started to come out around the early 1990's. At the time they and some other items were famous for a bad reason though. The Resin the wings were made of was said to cause cancer. Meaning when you sand the wings down for painting and prep the powder that comes off in the air is not to be inhaled. Where a mask if you do assemble. I do not know if you have a possible later issue or not but this was widely known when they first came out by all the big model makers of the time. Many of the Garage kits were made with this bad type of Resin. Hopes this helps a little.

7. Thanks from: Pekboy

Ok, so.....I would not tear it open and sand the wings at all. That apparently would be bad.
    Pekboy likes this.
    -Gary

Looking for Pre-production 3-D Cantina Alien and Bespin themed pieces.

Fleet Admiral

The japanese always have a leg up on anything model related....puts us American's to shame ( also with bootlegs )

-James
    Pekboy likes this.

Thanks for the info guys. I had no idea of the time period they came about, now I know a bit more about them as I couldn't find squat. As for building it, no never planned on doing that, I have not even opened the bags, they are still stapled shut
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMickeyMoose View Post
    Looks like a Japanese "Garage kit" Tie Bomber. They were bootleg cast copies of the original Kenner Tie Bomber. They started to come out around the early 1990's. At the time they and some other items were famous for a bad reason though. The Resin the wings were made of was said to cause cancer. Meaning when you sand the wings down for painting and prep the powder that comes off in the air is not to be inhaled. Where a mask if you do assemble. I do not know if you have a possible later issue or not but this was widely known when they first came out by all the big model makers of the time. Many of the Garage kits were made with this bad type of Resin. Hopes this helps a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by assemblyrequired View Post
    The japanese always have a leg up on anything model related....puts us American's to shame ( also with bootlegs )

-James
    I thought opening anything was bad, except pay cheques and bottles of scotch
    Quote Originally Posted by greedodidntshoot View Post
    Ok, so.....I would not tear it open and sand the wings at all. That apparently would be bad.

What an awesome item - I love the instructions... use "racker base or water base" paint!

•    
    Great item Scott. Nice pick up.

Though, I have to ask, where do the Ewoks go?

Pat
    Looking for Darth Vader items from all around the world.
    Vader Vintage Collection
    Vader Bootleg Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast