Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Unproduced Micro Collection Jabba's Palace

Unproduced Micro Collection Jabba's Palace

Apart from this image, there's not much information and pictures I could find about this set. There was an article about it on starwars.com, but it seems that it's not there aymore. I'm kind of curious about this scrapped concept and I'm wondering if anybody has any pics or information to share? Where there any play features, what figures where to be included etc.? It's a shame this never saw the light of day, it could have been awesome!

Emperor's Hand

That's actually the Galoob Micro Machines set, not the Kenner Micro Collection set. Two different things.
    DrewLachance likes this.
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

I know the difference between Micro Machines and Micro Collection, somehow I concluded, despite the Micro Machine tag, that this was for the micro collection. So I guess, next in line is this pic then.

Does anyone know what the article that is referred to here was about?

Admiral

That link was referring to an article Gus Lopez wrote on the 1983 extension to the line - which included the Jabba Palace concept. The wood pattern you pictured above was a 2up of the top layer of the Jabba Throne Room playset. The Palace consisted of two playsets: Jabba Dungeon, seen here: Micro Collection Jabba Dungeon (Boiler Room) - Star Wars Collectors Archive and Jabbas Throne Room. The Throne Room included the Rancor pit below, along with the palace entrance and stairway. The sets interconnected similar to all other existing Micro Collection Worlds. Tommy Garvey did quite a bit of research on the Galoob Jabba playset and he and I even spoke with an ex Kenner contact that worked for Galoob about the project. Unfortunately, the lead designer (man pointing at playset in picture) explained that he believed the mock up pictured was trashed. I believe all that remains of that concept is the rendering Ralph Mcquarrie painted (and I don't believe that was even completed). The playset presumably included features similar to those the Micro Collection version would have included.
    Last edited by Josh_Blake; 04-19-2014 at 01:44 AM.
    Yehuda_K and ChrisB like this.
    Coming Soon: The Comprehensive Guide to Kenner's Star Wars Micro Collection
    Visit Microrob.com for more information!

Yehuda_K likes this.
    Ron Salvatore (rsalvatore11@hvc.rr.com)
    www.theswca.com
    NAGAMAROO!

Thanks, for the info, Ron. I'm wondering, would there be enough information out there about this set to puzzle together what it might have looked like? It could be fun to make two artistic renderings, like the ones known from the boiler room, to illustrate this set. Maybe, (though it's still way to early, but I'm dreaming out loud here), recreate the model and miniatures based on these drawings? Sounds like a fun project I might tackle somewhere in the future, if I could get a clear enough idea of what Kenner was planning.

Quote Originally Posted by ronsalvatore View Post
    Who would have been RN on that list of figures for the set? Ryan

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantha5 View Post
    Who would have been RN on that list of figures for the set? Ryan
    Is says Rancor in the description on the page.

John
    and time will be, the catalyst to weed out the weak and beget strength-of character
    -Shai Hulud
    http://theswca.com/
    southside_201 at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by LandoInDisguise View Post
    Thanks, for the info, Ron. I'm wondering, would there be enough information out there about this set to puzzle together what it might have looked like? It could be fun to make two artistic renderings, like the ones known from the boiler room, to illustrate this set. Maybe, (though it's still way to early, but I'm dreaming out loud here), recreate the model and miniatures based on these drawings? Sounds like a fun project I might tackle somewhere in the future, if I could get a clear enough idea of what Kenner was planning.
    I'm pretty sure an image of the concept art for the Palace set is out there. I think it's in one of the Tomart books.
    www.theswca.com
    NAGAMAROO!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
    Is says Rancor in the description on the page.

John
    The sculpt for the Rancor figure was supposedly melted down.
    www.theswca.com
    NAGAMAROO!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast