Thread: Developing eBay Tactics

Fleet Admiral

Developing eBay Tactics

I've been itching to get back into vintage Star Wars collecting. However, the prices are much, much higher than when I left, and I'm taking it very slowly. In that effort, I'm searching for needles in various haystacks.

One thing I've noticed in vintage Star Wars eBay auctions that are much more prominent than I recall is where eBay sellers place evidence that something is authentic (and really good), coupled with a warning that weapons may be reproductions, or other similar non-committal disclaimers.

For example, I was following an auction last month where there was early bird paper work and a Luke Skywalker that looked like it might have a telescoping lightsaber. However, there was no mentioned of it at all. The price was more than I was willing to pay but I'm curious if anyone here picked up this auction and, if so, what goodies were included.

Here's the link to the auction (which has been completed for almost a month so I feel comfortable posting it):
    Vintage Star Wars
    GeekytUp.com - A place on the net where I write about things that get me Geeked Up.

Headline: Leia Organa 100% complete
    Desciption: ... with repro cape and a nice reproduktion weapon.

Headline: Luke Farmboy 100% complete
    Description: no coo with a new repro saber.

Headline: Snowtrooper 100% vintage
    Description: figure is from 1980 rifle and skirt beautiful reproduktion that displays very good.

I.hate.that

Price was reasonable, but not a DT Luke and paperwork was missing 60%+ (no pops or instruction half). If those were the pieces you wanted no loss, but as a group it went a little lower than I would have expected, but only a dealer would want most of it. A single collector would have too many repeats to pay top dollar...

I didn't buy it, too much work to break even, and profit wouldn't be there for ages...
    Last edited by SF1138; 04-06-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Fleet Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by SF1138 View Post
    Price was reasonable, but not a DT Luke and paperwork was missing 60%+ (no pops or instruction half). If those were the pieces you wanted no loss, but as a group it went a little lower than I would have expected, but only a dealer would want most of it. A single collector would have too many repeats to pay top dollar...

I didn't buy it, too much work to break even, and profit wouldn't be there for ages...
    Thanks for your opinion! Mine was similar, although I was curious whether that was a DT Luke, a piece I'm considering adding to my collection.
    GeekytUp.com - A place on the net where I write about things that get me Geeked Up.

Lieutenant Commander

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    I've been itching to get back into vintage Star Wars collecting. However, the prices are much, much higher than when I left, and I'm taking it very slowly. In that effort, I'm searching for needles in various haystacks.

One thing I've noticed in vintage Star Wars eBay auctions that are much more prominent than I recall is where eBay sellers place evidence that something is authentic (and really good), coupled with a warning that weapons may be reproductions, or other similar non-committal disclaimers.

For example, I was following an auction last month where there was early bird paper work and a Luke Skywalker that looked like it might have a telescoping lightsaber. However, there was no mentioned of it at all. The price was more than I was willing to pay but I'm curious if anyone here picked up this auction and, if so, what goodies were included.

Here's the link to the auction (which has been completed for almost a month so I feel comfortable posting it):
    Vintage Star Wars
    I've been collecting on ebay for over ten years now and find myself being more cautious then ever. I usually read each description several times and address any concerns through the ebay email system just to cover my own a**. Even after doing all that I'm still very apprehensive about bidding.

Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Furtin View Post
    Headline: Leia Organa 100% complete
    Desciption: ... with repro cape and a nice reproduktion weapon.

Headline: Luke Farmboy 100% complete
    Description: no coo with a new repro saber.

Headline: Snowtrooper 100% vintage
    Description: figure is from 1980 rifle and skirt beautiful reproduktion that displays very good.

I.hate.that
    Yes there is one seller who does that with pretty much every auction they run and it drives me nuts when I'm
    looking for real parts and\or complete vintage pieces.

High Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

Vintage Star Wars
    Kevin, in your opinion, how high have prices gotten from where you left off and started up again?

Fleet Admiral

Well, that's not really a fair question. I bought my first set of 12Backs for $500 out of Toy Shop. I sold it for several thousand and used it for law school [wish I still had it - it was seriously cherry, condition-wise.]

When I came back, I got into bootlegs. Then the prices went through the roof. I remember offering $2,000 for a Polish Deluxe Ree Yees and getting no takers. I've seen them sell on eBay for $500 or less. The other items that were going for $100-200, are now like $30-40. I even think first generation Polish stuff is "on sale" now. Certain lines, like Uzay, have remained pretty constant, albeit some prices are much higher.

On the other hand, production items are really high, even from a couple of years ago. I can't imagine paying many thousands of dollars for a 12 back now. That's just me.

However, the pre-production stuff is just crazy now. People are buying stuff for insane prices with no item history. Not a smart investment, if you ask me.