Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SnTrooper
  • 2 Post By SamAdam1230
  • 1 Post By ZX3

Thread: Online options?

Online options?

Just asking, because I haven't seen it specifically addressed elsewhere: The first five seasons of CW were available online through free official sources. With the move to Netflix, is the free official resource dead?
    "The truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Ben Kenobi

Now shopping Marshall's, TJ Maxx and 5 Below.

You mean from the official site? If so, yeah, they took all the eps down from the OS a while back.
    "Great leaders inspire greatness in others."

I've not found any official source for Season 6, and I am not willing to pay Netflix for something I should have been getting on cable already.

Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    I've not found any official source for Season 6, and I am not willing to pay Netflix for something I should have been getting on cable already.
    The only official source for Season 6 is Netflix. Either wait for the DVD, or suck it up & pay the $8 and enjoy all the content Netflix has to offer in addition to the entirety of TCW.

Or if you haven't used Netflix before use the free trial month and pay nothing.
    Toonimator likes this.

I'll get the DVD, if I like the content. As I said, I already pay for cable, so I don't see the need for Netflix. I watched the Order 65.5 arc on a series of unofficial locations, and was whelmed. The politicians talking politics arc is entirely skippable. A buddy adventure with Mace, the stick up his exhaust port, and Jar Jar sounds somewhat interesting.

Emperor

Netflix has tons of stuff cable doesn't, including entire runs of many shows, that you can watch whenever you'd like… and the stuff they have that cable also has, you can watch on your schedule instead of cable's. Just cuz you pay for cable doesn't mean you should have to wait 3 months for Hallmark Channel to get back to season 7 of "Murder, She Wrote" to see that one episode you remember liking.

Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    Just asking, because I haven't seen it specifically addressed elsewhere: The first five seasons of CW were available online through free official sources. With the move to Netflix, is the free official resource dead?
    Its only $8 a month to stream Netflix. I don't even notice that I pay for it because it's so cheap.

ZX3

If you already pay for cable then you should recognize what a bargain Netflix is in comparison. For less than $100 a year, less than a single month of most cable packages, you get an amazing amount of streaming content. It's about 25 cents a day. Not free, but the next best thing and less hassle than most free options.

But, if you're dead set against it, you should know that most of Netflix's original content is either created under cooperative co productions that split streaming, DVD and cable rights which means some of it eventually finds its way to other venues, as Sony has done selling the cable on demand rights of House of Cards to Comcast, or Netflix itself does DVD presses of the content allowing it to be available through Redbox and other rental outlets.
    None of that is cheaper than Netflix though- at $3 per episode on Comcast or $1.50 for a Redbox rental plus the hassle of returning the video you're not better off.

You could always try to find a torrent site I suppose, but not only is it morally dubious, it's also typically more of a hassle than just going to Netflix. Waiting for a download, risking viruses, putting up with bad encoding, weird subtitles, poor quality, having to download codex, etc isn't really worth saving $8 I think.

Or you can do what about half the people I know do and bum a friend's Netflix password.