Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By kevb0977
  • 1 Post By Sergiu

Thread: I've now been a member of the forum 2 years today....

•    

I've now been a member of the forum 2 years today....

It's now been 2 years since I joined this forum (today), originally before being told to enquire here for a Kotobukiya piece I was after, I was a member of several other smaller scale forums & frequented all of them on a daily basis too..., as time has gone by though, I've found this forum to be the best source of knowledge & information so the other forums are no longer of interest & I just visit this one for Star Wars.

When I first joined this forum I didn't have much of a clue about anything to be honest, never heard of any of the companies making the high end collectibles & hadn't a clue what they made..., the thing that first drew my attention to Gentle Giant was an eBay seller selling the 1:6 scale Blackhole Stormtrooper statue back in 2010, it looked very appealing to me & they also had the magma Stormtrooper statue for sale too which spoke to me even more..., I pondered on it though as I was heavily into collecting Doctor Who at the time plus I was still very much a Hasbro Star Wars figure collector, I had however bought the Darth Vader statue they'd made & although it was smaller than I'd hoped, I still liked it & I think that was the first nail in the coffin for Hasbro figures (for me)..., I did buy the Blackhole Stormtrooper statue & as the magma Stormtrooper statue was a bit pricey, I googled it & bought it direct from Gentle Giant..., I think it cost me the equivalent of £140.00 but I'm not 100% sure, I was happy enough with the price anyway & whilst waiting for that particular statue to turn up I bought 2 Kotobukiya figures (the Sandtrooper Squad Leader & the ESB Boba Fett 1:7 scale statues), although the seller hadn't a clue who made them & I was none the wiser when they turned up as there were no boxes for either piece, it was only because I saw another Sandtrooper figure on eBay, this time the Corporal version..., that I got to find out about Kotobukiya (as that figure had a box)..., I then wondered if they'd made the Sergeant version & ultimately that's how I ended up joining this forum.

From the start my main collecting consisted of Gentle Giant & Kotobukiya pieces & grew quite rapidly..., Kotobukiya were my favourite company for collectibles though as I preferred statues to busts & Gentle Giant made far less statues than Kotobukiya..., over the course of the last 2 years though I've found I like the mini-busts more now & also the quality of what Gentle Giant make has always impressed me..., they are the only company out of the big players (Sideshow, Attakus, Kotobukiya) that I can honestly say I've never felt disappointed with anything I've bought, all of the others have disappointed me in some shape or form & thus Gentle Giant has become my favourite collectibles company to buy from.

My main reason for being a member of the forum is not the reason I originally decided to stay a frequent visitor, which was originally for knowledge..., I can find everything out I need to know on Facebook, Twitter or even direct on the companies websites or from the e-mails they send me. The people here are why I keep coming back now, I like to have a good chat & it's always best if you share a passion for something with someone else when talking about something, I have found many interesting people to talk to on here & I always look forward to seeing what they have to say (Lightsword, Jang0, Sergiu, gia_KOTO_jin & Skitz especially)..., there are quite a few people I like talking to though..., & I'm always pleased when I find someone new to converse with as I like finding out someone else's views on things, in some cases this has actually changed my view point too or made me think again..., it's especially nice to be corrected on things though, finding out you've been wrong about something is always good to know.

So anyway, I was originally just going to be brief & say thanks for making my time on the forum a pleasant one..., I got carried away a bit though (obviously). lol
    LightSword, Jang0 and Nipshank like this.
    "Look Sir, Droids"

You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long.
    мыслете наш он покой

3. Thanks from: kevb0977

"Mr. Bean goes to Rebelscum" ...

Nice to have you around, buddy!
    "The best Star Wars collection isn't the one with the biggest or most expensive items, but the one holding a special meaning to the collector." - Steve Sansweet

My Feedback

5. Thanks from: kevb0977

Hope your next year on Scum is a good one.

Also GG will disappoint you eventually.
    We are Groot.

7. Thanks from: kevb0977

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAlex View Post
    Hope your next year on Scum is a good one.

Also GG will disappoint you eventually.
    Well in terms of not producing what they said they would, the General Veers fiasco has already disappointed me to be honest BUT I was more on about the products received than the company..., every statue & mini-bust I have is very nice, good quality & nicely detailed..., the only things Gentle Giant have made that I've not been overly impressed with are the bust ups, I only bought some clones & wouldn't buy anymore but I'm not overly disappointed with them as I got a set of 4 for £10.00..., can't expect much from that really. lol

As I said, Gentle Giant disappointed me over messing up the armoured version of Veers BUT they've also redeemed themselves too by getting the PGM gifts out to us in the year they were meant to be sent (last year) & actually sorting out this years PGM membership & gifts to start at the beginning of the year rather than waiting till February like they've done in the past..., add to that now being able to order more than 1 thing in an order & I'd say they seem to be improving so I'm happy enough to forgive them for ruining my most wanted mini-bust..., ruining getting it for me anyway (I mean)..., on the up side, the standard version of the General Veers mini-bust is still a pretty decent quality item to have in my collection SO it's not as bad an end to my ESB display really.
    "Look Sir, Droids"

You're always a class act Kev and a pleasure to talk to. Congrats on your 2 years and here's to many more my friend!

10. Thanks from: kevb0977

Congrats Kev! You are 2 years old here, I'm a bit older in real life, since these days I also had my birthday! I don't visit GG section too much anymore, I stick to Sideshow and props sections, but being weekend an having some free time I visited this section too. GG did some very cool pieces, and I'm glad I got some of them as well. My advice is simple: keep collecting what you like, and enjoy doing so. Do not buy, just to resell later. Good fortune in your collecting!
    Jang0 likes this.
    COLLECTION
    FEEDBACK

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

12. Thanks from: kevb0977

Nice work Kev, been good talking and watching your collection grow and change

14. Thanks from: kevb0977

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
    Congrats Kev! You are 2 years old here, I'm a bit older in real life, since these days I also had my birthday! I don't visit GG section too much anymore, I stick to Sideshow and props sections, but being weekend an having some free time I visited this section too. GG did some very cool pieces, and I'm glad I got some of them as well. My advice is simple: keep collecting what you like, and enjoy doing so. Do not buy, just to resell later. Good fortune in your collecting!
    I was recently going to sell some Sideshow 1:6 scale figures, clones..., I made my mind up that they needed to go to make room for other things, I talked about doing it for weeks..., pondered on it & ultimately found an excuse to change my mind. lol With the exception of Hasbro & Kenner figures (& spaceships), I've found I can't part with any of my Star Wars collectibles, that's why my dark side & clone focus was doomed to fail really I think..., I liked the stuff I had before a focus & justified keeping it by creating a 'rebel corner' as I called it, then I added to it as I needed the main characters & saw things I liked UNTIL I really had far too much to call my focus anything other than unfocused. lol I'm happy with my collection though & I'm keeping it to the 4 main companies (Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Kotobukiya & Attakus), plus I'm still picking up the odd Master Replicas item here & there..., working on light sabres at present..., I doubt I'll ever part with anything but my kids can sell it all & make a tidy sum when I'm gone (if they want to).
    "Look Sir, Droids"