Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: feeBay Ending Auctions Early (feeBay Man)

feeBay Ending Auctions Early (feeBay Man)

Question: Do you think feeBay audits feeBay email? I swear they must not give a turd because every time there is a nice deal or rare figure on feeBay, the auction ends. Obviously we know that communications have been sent to avoid feeBay fees and go through PP. I just wonder if feeBay ever sends an email saying "hey stop cutting the middle man out". Anyone ever get an email like that from feeBay? Reason I ask is because I see this happening all the time. A nice fig goes up, tons of people send feeBay mail to end the auction, and then the seller ends the auction. Doesn't seem fair but I would think feeBay would get pissed knowing how much cash they are loosing. I'm all for it though as I think they make a ton of cash, but you would think they are monitoring mail. I mean email is on their servers so they have rights to data on their servers. Kind of like the GMAIL-MAN snooping in on your email kind of thing. I would think there is a feeBay man out there, haha...

Mynock
    When your face is a prune, action goes BOOM! PRUNEFACE! PRUNEFACE!

•    
    They can, because in a dispute, they directly state they will look at communication between buyer and seller to help them with the case.

I just don't think they have the resources to monitor ALL conversations, unless someone lodges a complaint.

Ian

I did get "warned" once. If I recall, I had the book up on eBay and had listed it on a consignment site. It was a BIN with make offer listing. As soon as I put up the listing, a buyer contacted me and made an offer. The offer was a little on the light side, but not too far off. I took the transaction off eBay and within a few weeks eBay messaged me saying in a roundabout way, they weren't too happy I had concurrent listings (which I gather they only knew about because the buyer had mentioned it in one of his messages) and took the deal off eBay. I understand fee avoidance, but the day eBay has an issue with running concurrent listings is the day all sellers stop taking books they list on eBay with them to conventions and shows.

Anyway, it's more likely the scenario Ian mentions of someone filing a complaint, although to be honest I could probably write a script in my sleep that would alert eBay when a PayPal payment in a certain percentage range hits a persons PayPal account within a period of time after a seller ends an auction early or cancels a BIN listing.

Too big brotherish, and I don't think eBay would be dumb enough to try it, but that would be a far more reliable method, and would eliminate the need to monitor messages.
    Last edited by finestcomics; 02-11-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    Mynock likes this.

I know you cant send an email address to another ebay member in a message, i met a fellow with some bootlegs to sell here in sydney, id already dealt with him before on ebay, we decided to take our dealing off ebay, i sent him my email, got a computer generated message back saying i couldnt send an email address in my message, so i had to send it with a gap between each letter to get it through.
    They wouldnt read them for the heck of it, theres just too many for them to do that, but they would read them if theres a dispute or if serial red flags go off with a persons account like auctions ending early all the time id guess.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

I got the same warning asking someone to Google my eBay handle for a link to my off-eBay online store.

Yeah that makes sense when you think about the enormity of the bay and auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    They can, because in a dispute, they directly state they will look at communication between buyer and seller to help them with the case.

I just don't think they have the resources to monitor ALL conversations, unless someone lodges a complaint.

Ian

Yeah it seems they have code the automatically checks the body of messages for @ and .com, .net, .org, all the top level domain names. Has to be a hack around that, I have seen sellers just dump their smart phone number. That is weird too, like I want to text some Buffalo Bill stranger...

Quote Originally Posted by AussieFortuna View Post
    I know you cant send an email address to another ebay member in a message, i met a fellow with some bootlegs to sell here in sydney, id already dealt with him before on ebay, we decided to take our dealing off ebay, i sent him my email, got a computer generated message back saying i couldnt send an email address in my message, so i had to send it with a gap between each letter to get it through.
    They wouldnt read them for the heck of it, theres just too many for them to do that, but they would read them if theres a dispute or if serial red flags go off with a persons account like auctions ending early all the time id guess.

It's pretty easy to get by the filter.

If you reply via your email, I don't believe there is any filter. If there is, it is much more lax than the messaging center. Ive sent full on email addresses by just replying to a buyer/seller via their message in my email.

I've often sent replies like such through the message center and it always gets through.

grandadmiraljsk

at

thisdomain

dot

com
    Last edited by GrandAdmiralJSK; 02-11-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    SABRESEDGE likes this.

knothead615 likes this.
    My Feedback
    WTB SISE FROMM C9 MOC!!
    Any loose C9 Ledy's Does anybody on RS sell these anymore?

Ebay uses their filters to catch many messages redirecting sales off the site. I'm sure their filters will get smarter and look for those spaced out " blahblah at dot com" eventually.

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised of redirected sales is negligible in the grand scheme of their fees income.

However, it would be interesting to see if they have an algorithm that more closely inspects messages for high priced items that are ended early.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast