Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Sort of OT: OBO in the Classifieds

Sort of OT: OBO in the Classifieds

This is a question of forum etiquette.

Recently there has been some discussion about OBO. I don't mean auctions to the highest bidders. I mean that are we to assume that unless a person states OBO they are NOT open to receiving offers below their asking price? I was under the impression that every sale operated under OBO without the need to state this, since it is common for a seller to lower prices on an item that is not selling at their asking price. Is it rude to offer a lower than asked price if OBO is not stated in the listing?

Not at all rude to make an offer below asking price (unless the seller specifically states the price is 'firm').

These aren't store items, shipped with a 'recommended retail price'. The more rare the items are, the more the price is liable to fluctuate, and so a 'fixed' price may not work so well with these kind of collectables - it's good to be able to negotiate amicably between seller and buyer.

I can only speak for myself but I have never offered a lower price than what is listed, it is what it is, always a chance that if it doesn't sell the price may drop, if not and I don't like the price, another may pop up eventually for the price I like. As for sales with a best offer, if I am only after 1 item I normally pay the asking price, if I go for a few then I ask what sort of deal we can do on the others

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by DogPoopWalker View Post
    I was under the impression that every sale operated under OBO without the need to state this
    I don't agree. If a seller puts a price on something that's the price he is usually after. Of course there's no harm in making an offer but its the sellers prerogative to say no or even perhaps not respond if he feels you are wasting his time. If he tells you the price is firm then an offer below asking price is rude. If he tells you OBO then he is expecting a reasonable offer close to the asking price in order to close the deal.

i have a FS thread right now with an OBO and its the only one on the first page so can I assume this is directed at my FS thread? I have stated in my description that i'm open to best offers or payment plans. I.e. if someone pays all the money up front then I may take a reasonable offer however if someone wants a payment plan I'm less inclined to drop the price. So room to negotiate depending on the terms of the deal.

Personally I think there's been too much debate about selling etiquette and we risk the classifieds becoming too regimented. There's a need for general rules but I think a bit of reasonable judgement is required about what's acceptable and what's not.
    Jedi_june likes this.
    WTB: Proof Cards | WTB: R5-D4 Pre-production Stuff | FT: Pre-production Stuff
    Looking for ANY pre production items for R5-D4!!
    Looking for proof cards!!

Admiral

IMO if a seller states a price is "firm" then that is what it is, and to offer a lower bid is not acceptable. However, if that seller has something on their WTB wish list that you have, then perhaps offering a part cash/trade or other similar arrangement would be an acceptable compromise and a "win,win" situation.

For all other listings, I see no harm in looking to strike a mutually acceptable deal.
    Last edited by PMSbull; 01-27-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Commodore

OBO is exactly that... "Or Best Offer".. by definition that means the seller will entertain offers other than the stated price..... and certainly nobody is going to willingly offer MORE than the asking price for something.
    Beware the dark side of The Force.

Just out of interest, what happen if its a highly desired item or somewhat of a grail item for somebody, and the buyer knows heaps of others want the item too.
    Lets say the seller has NOT stated first in best dressed, so he can pick and choose the buyer he wants to sell it to (fair enough) many sellers like to choose the person they sell too, i have no problems with that, thats a basic right for any seller if they wish.
    What if then the seller gets people PMing him saying they are prepared to offer what ever it takes to get the item, they have been looking for it for years, or they are prepared to give the seller more to make sure they get the deal, i have no doubt this happens, and i cant blame a seller for doing the best for himself and doing the best for the buyer, both are happy, as long as the seller has not made a deal with anybody else, is this a bad practice, because theres no doubt it happens on rare items.

Should the seller just have put a much higher price on the item so he gives himself more room to negotiate, would that be a more ethical way to do it and a better way to conform to forum rules.

What are peoples thoughts on this?
    Last edited by AussieFortuna; 01-27-2014 at 07:19 AM.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

Ensign

Quote Originally Posted by olisuds View Post

i have a FS thread right now with an OBO and its the only one on the first page so can I assume this is directed at my FS thread?
    I think he is referring to a seller who recently redefined OBO for all of us. Seller had things listed, made agreements and then accepted higher offers after the original deals were in place. Let's just say he doctored the deals in his favor.
    sithlord1968 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by x98lbwuss View Post
    I think he is referring to a seller who recently redefined OBO for all of us. Seller had things listed, made agreements and then accepted higher offers after the original deals were in place. Let's just say he doctored the deals in his favor.

"I HAVE ALTERED YOUR BEST OFFER. PRAY I DO NOT ALTER IT FURTHER. MWAHAHAHAHA."

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by x98lbwuss View Post
    OK fair enough I'm aware of that seller but his reference didnt seem connected to the situation. Like I said earlier you can't have rules to cover everything and a bit of case by case judgement is required otherwise one bad egg ruins it for everyone.

There are always going to be sellers with bad selling etiquette out there but there's been a lot of moaning recently about the rules in the classifieds section and a lot of genuine and honest sellers are sick of getting there hands slapped for no good reason.

The mods enforce the rules set for everyone. Lets not push for any more rules and leave a bit of room for their better judgement. Its better for us and I'm sure it makes life easier for the mods.
    ToddG, BlueDog and Fettafari like this.
    WTB: Proof Cards | WTB: R5-D4 Pre-production Stuff | FT: Pre-production Stuff
    Looking for ANY pre production items for R5-D4!!
    Looking for proof cards!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast