Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ian_C
  • 1 Post By AussieFortuna
  • 1 Post By greedodidntshoot

Thread: how to clean vinyl capes

Vice Admiral

how to clean vinyl capes

What is the easiest way to clean capes that pertain to white leia's, snowtroopers, and sand people?

Best,
    Rob

Hi Rob, luke warm soapy water and a soft brush will usually get the job done.For ink or marker stains you can apply some toothpaste or zit creame to the stain and let it dry out before you clean it.

3. Thanks from: Romba
    Vice Admiral

gerrit what kind of soap should i use? also when kind of brush soft or hard bristle. When you mean brush do you mean tooth brush? Also will it scratch up the cape?

•    
    A soft tooth brush will do it, and not likely will it scratch the cape unless you're driving it hard against the vinyl.

Ian
    AussieFortuna likes this.

I find a soft tooth brush is great for cleaning capes and figures with a bit of dish washing liquid or warm soapy water.
    Ian_C likes this.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

I use warm water and dish soap with a soft bristle tooth brush for cleaning.

I then use Armour All dashboard restorative/protectant to keep the plastic lush and shiny. I also use this on my figures; as the make up of the plastics used in these toys keep them in a constant state of break down. This is more obvious in toys that have been sun baked or stored in a damp musty enviroment, as they will be sticky to the touch. The aforementioned product will restore this.
    Last edited by Suke_Lkywalker; 01-24-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Use a magic eraser, works perfect! I used it to take 30 year old ink of a vinyl jawa cape and it got an AFA 85. Best Way and easy.
    Looking for an ungraded DT Darth Vader or a DT vader inner fillment.

My Feedback

For a Leia Bespin cape, don't use anything on the pattern side or else you risk erasing/removing parts of the pattern. You can erase the whole pattern side with a soft sponge and little pressure. The OT specified plain capes, but I thought I'd mention this.

cheers!
    My Leia Bespin Research & Limelight Website > leia.bespin.info <

Just wanted to add a caution about the magic eraser. Yes they work great on white figures (Stormtrooper, farmboys...ect) and solid colored vinyl capes and ships -- THEY WILL REMOVE PAINT from you figures. Only use on unpainted areas! Sad to say I learned this the hard way.

Gary
    djlackore likes this.

Very carefully... Have a few beers before as well to calm yourself before the procedure.
    When your face is a prune, action goes BOOM! PRUNEFACE! PRUNEFACE!