Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Lucasfilm Story Group to Ensure Star Wars Continuity Across All Platforms

Maybe, but you know Lady gaga would fit right in. lol
    Looking for: MU Northstar. Falcon from CA2. Have: MU Captain America, Grim Reaper, Hyperion, WW Hulk.

Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

LOL, u ain't kidding!!!! She looked like a ROTS Outlander club patron right outta the gate!

Admiral

I'm thinking more about this, and I'm beginning to question whether I want it.

On the one hand, it frustrates me when stories get retconned, so I like the idea of a consistent continuity. Sure, retcons don't take away the emotional investment I felt while I was consuming some Star Wars EU story the first time, but there is an intellectual "capital" that one gains when you know side stories. For instance allusions come into play when you know EU, and it becomes a way of interacting with the newer material when you are trying to piece everything together (or anticipate plot twists). But if you don't know what's "canon" anymore, then you lose that capital. Plus, it means that features you liked about the franchise might suddenly disappear.

On the other hand, it means that Star Wars can end up painting itself in a corner. More kid-oriented franchises reboot themselves every three years: if you don't like this iteration of G.I.Joe or Transformers, then wait a year or two for the next one--the rules will all get flipped around and maybe they'll ditch some of the stuff you didn't like. Plus, if a continuity ends, then the fans are free to take it wherever they want. One expects Star Wars to be in it for the long game, however. If they start introducing features you don't like...that's it...there's no turning back the clock. That feature becomes embedded permanently in the lore.

Grand Admiral

Glen?! Maggie?!? Maggie?! Glen!!! Maggie!! Glen?!?!?!? Maggie?!?! Glen!!! Maggie!!!! Glen?!?!? Glen?! Maggie?!? Maggie?! Glen!!! Maggie!! Glen?!?!?!? Maggie?!?! Glen!!! Maggie!!!! Glen?!?!?

Admiral

Yeah, just read this. Sorry, but I've been reading "EU" since Splinter of the Mind's Eye and Han Solo at Star's End. To me, this is just Disney trashing everything that was built so they can make it their own. I've been rereading the adult novel series since August, starting with 'Darth Plagueis' and I'm now up to the Lando Calrissian Adventures. I hate how the 'Clone Wars' series depicted Barris Offee as turning traitor and how it made Karen Traviss quit her 'Commando' series because it couldn't be retconned into the now 'official' universe. While I enjoyed 'Clone Wars' series on it's own, I never considered it part of the 'movie universe'. I've quit 'Rebels' before it even begins. (Is it me, or did they just take Jax Pavan and Laranth Tarak and tweak them slightly for this series?)

But I guess that's what the Star Wars universe now is - a buffet where you just pick and choose what you want because there's no coherency. Between Marvel, Dark Horse, the comic strip series, the novels, the kids books, the junior novels, the roleplaying and computer games, etc., there's just no way to make it all 'fit'. I thought it was funny that Dark Horse quit the Original Trilogy timeline after the 'Empire' and 'Rebellion' series because they said they couldn't make it work with the current 'known' expanded universe, then a couple years later they just start it again with 'Star Wars'. Which will now be ended because Disney's bringing it back to Marvel.

No wonder J.J. Abrams rebooted the Star Trek universe. It must've seemed like the only sane choice.

Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by TresobYr View Post
    How about...a DS3 that could blow up a WHOLE GALAXY! Muahahaaha! Ha! HA! HA! Heh.

Too much?
    Already been there. The third 'Death Star' was the 'Tarkin' from the Marvel comic series. And the fourth is the 'Galaxy Gun' from the Dark Empire series. I think it either blew up suns or it was able to blow up a planet through hyperspace or something.

Grand Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue1969 View Post
    Already been there. The third 'Death Star' was the 'Tarkin' from the Marvel comic series. And the fourth is the 'Galaxy Gun' from the Dark Empire series. I think it either blew up suns or it was able to blow up a planet through hyperspace or something.
    Please please stop, no more no more, my eyeballs are burning.
    Rogue1969 likes this.
    Glen?! Maggie?!? Maggie?! Glen!!! Maggie!! Glen?!?!?!? Maggie?!?! Glen!!! Maggie!!!! Glen?!?!? Glen?! Maggie?!? Maggie?! Glen!!! Maggie!! Glen?!?!?!? Maggie?!?! Glen!!! Maggie!!!! Glen?!?!?

As I've figured since the Disney announcement of new movies....it's finally official: R.I.P. EU.

What do you think the biggest loss will be?

Mara Jade?

Some of Luke/Mara's or Han/Leia's children?
    "Only now, at the end, do you understand."

Lieutenant Commander sniper54001's Avatar

I wonder if Boba Fett is going to finish being digested. I like him as a character, but I don't get the fanaticism.
    Julythrunov likes this.
    Buying MOC; working backward from Jedi - now moving onto ESB

Feedback

This is awesome.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast