Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Reflection '13 & Collecting Goals for 2014

Reflection '13 & Collecting Goals for 2014

It's that time of year where we enjoy a little RS tradition extolling the collecting highs and lows of the past year and the collecting goals we have in place for the coming year.

For those of you, like me, who have short memories, here's a link to last year's thread:

Reflection '12 & Collecting Goals for 2013

For a guy who sold most of his stuff off in 2012 and really only was looking to add the odd special piece to the collection, i did pretty well on these goals:

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Turgeon View Post
    Goals for 2013:
    -pick up the odd piece here or there that interests me, namely comic or animation art and prototypes i still need an example of.
    -get those last pesky Spanish Thall Joben colours i need.
    -keep an eye out for the remaining Canadian and Mexican GI Joe pieces i need or ultimately decide to sell those runs.
    -pick up a handful of smaller, cheap items i've been putting off but need to round out some displays and runs.
    -head over to Germany for CE2 and catch up with everyone!

Well, i did pretty good on the first point! Added some great new pages from my favourite comic series, Elephantmen. Picked up a few other pieces of comic art as well including one of my childhood favourite covers (Avengers Spotlight #26) and ended the year with a bang in terms of new prototypes for the collection. Some great new GI Joe pieces (which are on their way), a hand painted Toy Biz Thanos 2up hardcopy from the Silver Surfer animated line and some other ones i'm hush hush on until they arrive.

I did manage to get the pink Thall Joben from Spain! Looks like it's been about one a year so if all goes well, i'll get the yellow one next year. Not holding my breath tho.

I did find one of the Canadian GI Joe exclusives i needed too! Added a Canadian boxed Sears exclusive CAT Tank! Only two more to go.

Didn't do too well on the odds and sods. Got a couple so better than nothing.

Germany was absolutely amazing. Trip of a lifetime and one i'll cherish forever. Same with the ICE Gathering and Sansweet's Guinness party!

I also managed to take care of one of my 2012 goals which was to set my collection up. After selling most of it, it was a lot easier to make a really nice, clean and classy display of everything i did keep.

Goals for 2014
    -the yellow Dunkin/Panrico Thall Joben figure from Spain.
    -a couple of nice comic art pick ups.
    -cool prototypes that fit into runs or serve as an example of a stage i'm missing.
    -find more ways to keep visiting with good collecting friends around the world.
    Shane Turgeon
    Author: The Force in the Flesh
    www.theforceintheflesh.com
    www.tattoosandtoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Lentz View Post
    My goal for 2012 was to complete my ESB carded run, which I was able to do. I have 20 carded figures (Rotj and potf) left for a set. My goal for 2013 to knock out at least 12 of those. 1 a month should be very doable.
    Knocked that one out of the park - finished my entire carded run in 2013 with months to spare.

2014:
    Figures - set of U.S. carded Droids figures

Commander

I'm 5 figures away from having one of each figure MOC, so I'd like to get any carded version of: Greedo, Hammerhead, Walrusman, Death Star Droid, and Bespin Leia. Then I'd like to upgrade at least three of the following onto Star Wars backs: Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Stormtrooper, Tusken Raider, R5-D4. Oh, and get a US version MOC of King Gorneesh.

•    
    I haven't posted in one of these since 2010 so starting with reflections.....

2013 was a revelation to me.....probably my quietest year as far as acquisitions are concerned.....

But meeting so many fantastic fellow collectors was game changing for me....CE2 will long be etched in the memory....brief,action-packed,funny,surprising and incredibly memorable,the SOCIAL side of collecting really punched through at Essen,in a way CE1 didn't.

Unfortunately,work commitments have conspired to prevent me attending California(and I'm absolutely gutted about it)but JediCon sounds doable next year.

I know that I will get to a US Celebration....hopefully sooner rather than later.

Collecting-wise,I'm at a bit of a crossroads.....I've pretty much achieved all my Vintage goals....and unlike other collectors that monetize the hobby,buying and selling,I have no inclination to turn my hobby into a business.

LEGO and selected Modern still keep me engaged,but I think I will evaluate where I'm going next,maybe proof cards??.....

.....and definitely more SOCIALS!!

Darren
    Okay.Fine.You win.
    Now I'm going to enjoy my life while you are buried under a pile of plastic and cardboard.
    Big Barada

oh boy, I couldnt be happier. I have been using that picture in several threats so sorry for annoying some of you but I just have to show it again and again. These were ALL flying to me in 2013 (if I recall correctly :-))... What a year...

My goals for 2014? Hmmm...maybe

a dead mint perfectly pristine C-10 Blue Snaggletooth,
    one more UZAY Moc with uncracked blister,
    an italian UHU Ewok with uncracked blister,
    one hungarian MOC
    russian MOC At At Driver,
    Trilogo Yak Face....that'll do :-)

and regarding unrealistic goals for 2014: cardback for headman and rocket fett L-Slot :-)

all the best, Mike
    Last edited by Bluestars; 12-06-2013 at 03:34 AM.

My Feedback

Holy Grail

To concentrate on putting together a great display behind glass and put a bootleg and kenner limelight up.
    Another polish deluxe Gam guard would be nice, i have one in mind.
    Complete my polish 2nd and 3rd gen runs
    Some more bright coloured polish unart variants, and maybe the 3 unart ewoks to complete my set.
    A hungarian pig nosed yoda.
    My first Uzay piece which is on hold.
    Get my first boxed model trem.
    Only a few pieces to go to complete my mexi/sa set, although a few of those like mini jabba might be out of the question.
    After my polish lines and mexi is as complete as i can get, to have a few loose representatives of every major bootleg line in the world.
    Last edited by AussieFortuna; 12-06-2013 at 04:34 AM.
    wattosjunkpile likes this.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

My 2012 goal was to sell about 75% of my Vintage Kenner collection and about 99% of modern Hasbro SW stuff. I achieved that before summer.

I narrowed my vintage Kenner items down to what really mattered. (my loose figures from my childhood, some carded figures, EB kit/figures, Sears Cantina, etc. purchased from my brother in the late 1980's and some carded POTF figures purchased through the mail in the late 1980's)

I still need a Yak Face, so that'll be a goal for 2013.
    I achevied the Yak Face and went one step further, completing my loose figure collection, buying around 10 POTF figures that I still needed.

No real goals for 2014. My vintage collecting is winding down again.
    Last edited by Scott_D; 12-06-2013 at 05:03 AM.
    The Rebelscum PM feature does not work for me. My email is in my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestars View Post
    oh boy, I couldnt be happier. I have been using that picture in several threats so sorry for annoying some of you but I just have to show it again and again. These were ALL flying to me in 2013 (if I recall correctly :-))... What a year...

My goals for 2014? Hmmm...maybe

a dead mint perfectly pristine C-10 Blue Snaggletooth,
    one more UZAY Moc with uncracked blister,
    an italian UHU Ewok with uncracked blister,
    one hungarian MOC
    russian MOC At At Driver,
    Trilogo Yak Face....that'll do :-)

and regarding unrealistic goals for 2014: cardback for headman and rocket fett L-Slot :-)

all the best, Mike
    FUGGING EPIC Mike, congrats, love your work.
    4 magical pieces...
    oceans11 and madmartigan like this.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

Lieutenant Commander madmartigan's Avatar

mike, you bought those this year wow! im impressed by the headman hes cool im amazed complete loose uzay still exist! i wonder how many uzay figs were produced back in the day? do you own a uzay carded imp gunner? love the calculator on the cardback
    Last edited by madmartigan; 12-06-2013 at 05:54 AM.

At the back end of 2012 I spent pretty heavily on completing my loose vintage figure collection, and at the same time obtained a few of the rarer and pricier old pieces (including Cloud City, the Cantina and Yoda's Hut) missing from my Lego Star Wars run, so 2013 was never going to be a big one.

I had expected to at least add a few common and inexpensive loose creatures, vehicles and minirigs to my loose collection throughout the year. but have ended up adding absolutely nothing.

What appears to have happened is instead of continuing with the vintage Star Wars collection (which is still nowhere near what I previously owned) is I have worked on regaining my other lost childhood items. So along with keeping up with modern Lego sets and adding a few more (Skyhopper and original versions of the A Wing, ATST, Tie Advanced and Y Wing), I have boosted the Masters Of The Universe collection, added handheld games and the likes.

For 2014:
    Star Wars - Easy items
    Loose collection of mini-rigs
    Loose Wampa & Taun Taun
    Loose X Wing, ATST & Snowspeeder
    Loose Endor catapult, glider and speederbike

Star Wars - larger items dependent on money/focus:
    Loose Falcon, AT-AT & Rebel Transport

Other:
    Complete Masters of the Universe loose figures up to 1985
    Once complete move on to GI Joe loose figure collection 1982-86 or MASK first series of vehicles
    Restart Lego Space collection once Star Wars collection is complete
    Dip into cars - few examples of Lock Ups, Colour FX, Crash Cars, Roughriders and Micromachines for nostalgia

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast