Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trent

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yesterday was a great occaision in the U.S. to celebrate thankfulness of all kinds. I was able to welcome many friends and family members into my home, sit down in peace and harmony, and enjoy the company.

There wasn't much drama, but just a touch - my daughter was home from school and announced her engagement. Now under normal circumstances, we would be celebrating even more, but this current boyfriend isn't particularly a "keeper". While the announcement was being made, he just sat there with a big grin and when my darling little girl finished, he proceeded to graphically discuss their relationship and activities they've been involved in.

Now, before anybody jumps to conclusions, I'd like to say that my wife and I are pretty tolerant (actually the whole family is), but as this "gentleman" made comments that would make sailors blush, he also described things many would consider pretty deranged. One of my co-workers has a foreign exchange son this year (country omitted) and I could hear him lean over to say to my son "I thought you could only do that with animals". Even my wife's grandmother commented "Oh...my...goodness!" - a completely unheard of thing for her to say.

The dinner proceeded as best it could, but this lad kept trying to lead the conversation back to the topic. For some reason, he seemed to think that I would be "on board" with the whole thing. It was in all seriousness that he said this - even going so far as to imply that my wife and I had enjoyed similar pursuits.

Aghast - looking around the table at my friends and family, I felt that enough was enough. My wife was red in the face - almost in tears. My son was looking down, not even able to meet our eyes. I stood, as calmly as I could, a beacon of inner strength, and in the most measure voice I could muster said: 'Young man, you have been welcomed to our table, enjoyed the food and drink of our family, but you have dishonored us today. So many things you have said have been done by myself and others in this room, but they've been in private, and a gentleman does not discuss. Futhermore, despite what you think of me..."
    (scroll down)
    "we have never knowingly sold repros sent beater vintage Star Wars MOCs to AFA to be opened for a "U" grade"!"

Thank you! For those who celebrated, hope you're all having/had a great holiday. We did as well!

My daughter is nine and most of the above is fiction, but you get the sentiment.
    AussieFortuna likes this.
    Member of the 62 POTF coin club!!
    My Trade Feedback has links to want and have trade lists.

Hahahaha, funny thread, you sucked me in there with that story.

We dont have thanks giving in Australia, but all im going to say is, Poor Turkeys..... it should be called turkey whacking day imo....
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

Good one! Happy belated Thanksgiving! Simon