Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Collecting Revenge of the Jedi proof cards?

Lieutenant Commander

Collecting Revenge of the Jedi proof cards?

Hello all,

I am currently looking to add several of these to my collection (AFA graded only) and wanted to know if there is a place I can learn more about them? How common are they? Is there an online price guide for these kind of unique collectibles? What about their price history?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

mintcollector

Here's some good reading for you: http://swspaceclub.com/swproofcards/revenge-proofs/. You can find more if you google search "Revenge of the Jedi proof cards".-R
    Wanted: Jawa proofs, pre-production Boushh items,First shots of the "1st 12", and anything Jessica Meade.
    I have cash and many great trade items!

My Feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

Quote Originally Posted by mintcollector View Post
    Hello all,

I am currently looking to add several of these to my collection (AFA graded only) and wanted to know if there is a place I can learn more about them? How common are they? Is there an online price guide for these kind of unique collectibles? What about their price history?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

mintcollector

The resource center is a great way to find out a lot about them. On the quick here's some dirty numbers on proofs, roughly 50 of each exist, average price for a character (Graded) is around $300-350, characters like Luke, Leia, Ben Kenobi and Rebel Commander have a premium, while figures like Vader, Fett, R2 Original and the Blank Card average $600 or more with Fett usually going for around $1500. In terms of the history of the prices it doesn't matter, what they were sold for 4-5 years back is nothing but a memory. I believe what you want to know is if there has been an increase in price over the years and the answer is yes. This is one of the highest demand areas of collecting as it attracts a lot of collectors due to the availability of the proofs relative to other proofs that are out there from the vintage Star Wars line.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your hunt!
    ROTJ/Revenge Focus Collector

RIP Warrior 1959-2014 - Always Believe!

In the 90's they were fairly common near Ohio. It seems there are at least 50 complete sets floating around. Major characters seem to demand a premium, but commons can be $250-300 graded. I think it would be difficult to complete a set nowadays as they have a perceived value higher than most are willing to pay. In the 90's, $50-100 was common before AFA existed in any meaningful manner. I don't think there is a definitive guide on values, as it is entirely subjective. I wish you well, but they seem more of an oddity and while cool, I cannot believe even a full complete set would sell for as much as a handful of premium characters. A Fett, a Yoda, a Leia or Luke would already be out of the prices most casual collectors would even consider.

Fleet Admiral

A complete revenge proof set was listed individually on eBay about 10 years ago. The incredible thing was that one person named SLT won everything. Anyone remember what he spent? Maybe 15-20k?

Congrats to SLT !!!

Emperor's Hand

Adding to what's been written so far, I put this checklist together many moons ago after I put the set together card by card. Then again the early-mid 90's was much different price-wise than today. These weren't as coveted by collectors and not as well known and thus I paid an average of $60 per card for my set once it was all said and done. And some of my cards I believe went into that SLT set as I sold the complete run to Cloud City Collectibles.

Anyway, that was then and this is now so both wider demand and AFA grading have made the challenge much costlier.

Revenge of the Jedi Proof Card Checklist

If you want to see the good old days of Revenge cards you can check out my Toy Shop Scrapbook. Just do a text search for Revenge to see how many offerings graced that publication over the years.

Chris G's Toy Shop Scrapbook

-chris
    Last edited by ChrisGeorgoulias; 11-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorgoulias View Post
    Fair warning - DO NOT click that link unless you want to spend the next who knows how long looking at pictures and making noises like "UGH!, WHAT?!?!, NO WAY!, WTF!!, OMG!!" etc.... on that note- everyone needs to check it out!!!! Just WOW!
    Thank you for compiling all of those amazing pages Mr. Georgoulias.

Quote Originally Posted by phidias_barrios View Post
    A complete revenge proof set was listed individually on eBay about 10 years ago. The incredible thing was that one person named SLT won everything. Anyone remember what he spent? Maybe 15-20k?

Congrats to SLT !!!

There was a set sold not too long ago as well, I believe for $18K. If I was still collecting and wanted a run I would just try to pull a set as they seem to for considerably less then what the individual auctions will run you.
    ROTJ/Revenge Focus Collector

RIP Warrior 1959-2014 - Always Believe!

I sold a complete graded 85 and higher set for 17,500 off ebay about 1 year ago.

Jeff

Lieutenant Commander

I thank you for all the info! It is amazing to me as to how much information is on this forum and the amount of collectors who are willing to share. I wish all forums were like this one. I will be pursuing this, but I am not sure I would need a complete set. I am looking to compliment my collection of high grade AFA vintage items and this seems like a perfect fit.
    Last edited by mintcollector; 11-17-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast