Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Buyer be cautious...

Commodore

Buyer be cautious...

Hey guys

i have been in talks with a forum member here about his post in the classifieds and some things are just not sounding right so I wanted to share them. Here is the post in question:

FS: Near complete Star Wars 12, 20 and 21 back MOC set, 20 MOCs total! (SOLD)

buyer will only accept a non buyer protected payment. Only PayPal gift or money order or certified check or bank wire transfer.... That ontop of dropping his prices so drastically makes me wonder if other people are talking with him and telling him the same thing that they will not send that amount of money without buyer protection that he is trying to intice a new buyer with what seems to be a good deal???

I just cannot imagine ANYONE would send $11,000 to a seller that has no feedback thread here and very little activity on the forum?

am I wrong? Has anyone dealt with, or heard about this guy?

he says that he has an exotic animal business in Texas, but there is no phone number on their website???

Something just doesn't feel right for $11K

I saw the thread and i thought exactly the same thing, lol, plus the fact id never deal with anybody with the word 'exotics' in their user name lol.
    But having said that, theres no real evidence the seller is up to no good, he has made a few posts here on RS, so i certainly cant and wont be jumping to any assumptions, but it does smell a bit fishy.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

Banned

•    
    I sold the user in question a ss/lt Luke a few months back...went off without a hitch...guys, let's try to be judicious in whom we choose to out. You can't just out someone because you find his or her price drops fishy. Did you ask him for references or feedback? I'm not going to vouch for him like I'm Al Pacino in Donnie Brasco, but I would be one reference so far...let's see what else he has to say before we go slandering an up-to-this-point honest memeber...
    Last edited by BobaFett34; 11-14-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobaFett34 View Post
    I sold the user in question a ss/lt Luke a few months back...went off without a hitch...guys, let's try to be judicious in whom we choose to out. You can't just out someone because you find his or her price drops fishy. Did you ask him for references or feedback? I'm not going to vouch for him like I'm Al Pacino in Donnie Brasco, but I would be one reference so far...let's see what else he has to say before we go slandering an up-to-this-point honest memeber...
    I agree with you and I made it very clear in my post that i certainly cant and wont be jumping to any conclusions.
    Theres no evidence against the seller at all.
    cheers
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

Banned

•    
    I have pm'd the seller and told him he might want to defend himself...

Commodore

Im not head hunting the guy, but $11K is a lot of money to send blindly. Im not outing him, im asking for references that are not supplied by the seller.

He gave me a eBay name and feedback but it is not the same name and no way to link that it is him....

good to hear a ss/lt transaction went well but that is still not a $11k transaction an you were the seller....

I'm not saying he is doing anything wrong, just cautious to demand a non protected payment for that large of an amount..

Banned

•    
    You shouldn't out a guy unless you have evidence of wrongdoing...it's not cool...you said your piece, now let's see what he has to say...I have done business with both of you and am interested to see what he has to say...
    Last edited by BobaFett34; 11-14-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Line Captain

Look guys, there is nothing suspicious going on here. As I explained to the OP, I am hesitant with normal Paypal payments in large amounts because I was ripped off for close to a thousand in the past. Long story short, sold some vintage items outside of ebay, the buyer stopped payment with his cc company 4 weeks later (not a Paypal dispute)...the cc company pulled the funds from Paypal and then they pulled the funds from me....in short, I supplied tracking/delivery info, scammer said the box was empty, his cc company sided with him and Paypal wouldn't do anything about it...I got screwed and haven't taken Paypal payments on anything larger than a couple hundred since.

I have no problem taking normal paypal for smaller amounts, but on a purchase this large I feel we need to do something that is secure for both parties.

No phone number on the website because we are a zoo supply and do business through trade organizations...not with private parties...too many random people calling wanting pets.

Here is my eBay feedback:

eBay Feedback Profile for damesta

Can provide forum references as well.
    Lemcool likes this.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaFett34 View Post
    You shouldn't out a guy unless you have evidence of wrongdoing...it's not cool...you said your piece, now let's see what he to say...I have done business with both of you and am interested to see what he has to say...
    I have to agree with this. Be cautious, absolutely, but the guy's been around for a bit, and posts on average once every other day. Never dealt with him, but have seen him around plenty of times, mostly in the classifieds. If he was a scammer, it would have likely already been found out.

In the end, if he's asking for a risky payment method, you have the right to just not buy it. Anyone who purchases this just needs to be aware of the risks involved.

*EDIT* And he has just posted to assure people he's legit. I don't see any red flags here guys, other than the customary caution over a very large sum of money changing hands in this deal - which would be applicable to any seller on here.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian_C; 11-14-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Banned

•    
    Sounds perfectly reasonable...and I really don't think we need to be investigating people's places of business like private detectives...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast