Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Questions for MOCs Collectors.

Questions for MOCs Collectors.

Hello fellow collectors,
    i've been a collector of Loose figures for about 6 months. I want to collect MOCs but theres this question bugs me. Should someone consider re-cards if he or she is collecting MOC ? The closest thing i can relate to is how Reproduction weapons are. Some like it and some really really hates it. Does re-cards have the fate like most of the repro stuff out there ? Hated and abandoned. Lastly, how do you start your MOC collection ? That's all for now thank you for your time.

Recards are an inexpensive way to get a display. That being said, they don't get much is any respect here, since the fear is some unsuspecting buyer will later attempt to sell as real.

Reseals using an original card and bubble is slightly preferred, as it still is "real".

Not everyone can afford the best of the best, so decide what makes you happy.

Most people buy what is available(usually locally at first to see what the thing looks and feels like and then usually for a bit too much) and their tastes or goals change over time. Most people wind up selling off some to get other pieces they want more.

I'd say buy some pieces you can afford and like. A MOC you don't like might be a good deal, but ultimately, you have to look at it.

If you are buying for enjoyment this is best, in my mind.

If you are buying to profit (now or down the road), then buy the best you can afford in the best condition possible. High grade, highly desirable won't always make a ton right away, but you are more likely to at least break even.

Either way, ask your mom, ask her to ask her friends if anyone has anything lying in an attic or basement, ask everyone you meet, know, or are related to. You most likely will find something...

It's a start, and best wishes in the quest.

Edit: Just noticed your location. If you don't find much out there, boards like this are a good start, again, buy what you like, but recards will not be an easy sell now or in the future for over the price of the loose figure...
    Last edited by SF1138; 11-11-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Rudy likes this.

Grand Moff

Collecting the orginal will give you more satisfaction. Yes, it's harder and will take more money. That it takes more time will have the effect that the item you purchase will seem like a major addition to your collection. Also when something costs more it would mean you'll think about a purchase much better. All in all you end up with a collection of better collectingvalue (to you (and others)) and you'll appreciate it more.

If you want/need to upgrade or need to sell for some reason, you'll make your money back with ease if they are originals. When they are fakes/reseals/whatever, you'll struggle.

You start with a budget and your collectinginterest. You check sales and see what you can buy with your budget. Then take your time, read, be patient and slowly collect. Don't buy everything in one go. The nicest thing of collecting is...the collecting. Also, your interest will change in time. You can always change your ways of you take your time.

-Alex
    Isaac_S_Lew, Ian_C and Rudy like this.

Recards Booo Originals Boooom!
    Ian_C, jedikt and Rudy like this.
    Big L Rest In Peace!

my feedback :Feedback for Snake_Eyes_82

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Hello fellow collectors,
    i've been a collector of Loose figures for about 6 months. I want to collect MOCs but theres this question bugs me. Should someone consider re-cards if he or she is collecting MOC ? The closest thing i can relate to is how Reproduction weapons are. Some like it and some really really hates it. Does re-cards have the fate like most of the repro stuff out there ? Hated and abandoned. Lastly, how do you start your MOC collection ? That's all for now thank you for your time.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

Educate yourself,read the forums,check the classifieds and completed Ebay listings to gauge accurate market conditions....and then....jump right in!!!

but know your limits.....to avoid burnout,set yourself realistic goals and financial constraints.

Once a goal is realised,move on,but spend time appreciating the items you acquire.

And repeat.

Darren
    Okay.Fine.You win.
    Now I'm going to enjoy my life while you are buried under a pile of plastic and cardboard.
    Big Barada

The thing is if you go the recard route is that you will spend some level of time and money gathering up recards and eventually you'll want to go the original route. You'll regret the time/money spent on the recards. Start with the lower end ROTJ cards - Ewoks, Jabba's Aliens, etc. can all be had for less than $50.

Gather up a few, decide what you like (a specific movie, a specific scene, every episode of a particular character, etc.) and then splurge every once in a while on something you really like.

I love MOC and I think they are the "ultimate" version of a figure - there is endless variety and many can be had for $75 or less.
    Rudy likes this.
    My collection
    Need High Grade Offerless ROTJ 65 Backs: Ugnaught, Jawa, Hoth Rebel Soldier - 77 backs: FX-7, Luke Bespin, Orig Leia
    Follow the 'Chive Cast on Twitter

The nice thing about collecting is that it's not a race. I'd recommend going with legit carded and setting a small goal - first 12, last 17, Hoth characters, whatever. Complete your small goal, feel good, and move on to the next one. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro12345 View Post
    The thing is if you go the recard route is that you will spend some level of time and money gathering up recards and eventually you'll want to go the original route. You'll regret the time/money spent on the recards. Start with the lower end ROTJ cards - Ewoks, Jabba's Aliens, etc. can all be had for less than $50.

Gather up a few, decide what you like (a specific movie, a specific scene, every episode of a particular character, etc.) and then splurge every once in a while on something you really like.

I love MOC and I think they are the "ultimate" version of a figure - there is endless variety and many can be had for $75 or less.
    I would rather have a Han, Luke, and Vader than 30 common rotj. Yes, you can get great deals on a Klaatu or Rancor Keeper, but is that what you'd want?

If your goal is a complete set, then by all means pick up the commons as they can be had for a bargain...
    RussG and Rudy like this.

•    
    Like Roger said, the main characters are useally the most appealling, so why don't you start with characters like Vader, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, R2, C-3PO, etc...
    this doesnt mean you have to collect them On mint 12 backs, a vader On a nice ROTJ card, is still a MOC Vader.
    Go with whatever feels good to you and buy what you can afford.

Thank you for the positive feedback and advice guys. Really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast