Thread: OT: Best Way to Watch/Listen to the OT??

OT: Best Way to Watch/Listen to the OT??

I wanted to get some opinions on the the best way to watch the original trilogy and which cut/format is preferred for listening to the soundtrack.

From doing some searching, it seems that the 1993 Definitive Edition Laserdisc is the most favored mix of print quality/content/availability. I like the recent blu-rays (the changes don't bother me too much) and the 2 disc w/ "original" version DVDs, but I've never really investigated some of the more obscure formats. I would be happy to buy a LD player if the LD version was considerably better.

Also...the soundtrack. I prefer the original vinyl mass-produced soundtrack. Again though, is there a foreign release that has extra stuff? Does reel-to-reel sound better than the vinyl. Does the CD box set capture the "warmth" of the original vinyl? I'd like to know how you guys prefer to listen.

Any thoughts you guys have would be interesting to hear.
    My collection
    Need High Grade Offerless ROTJ 65 Backs: Ugnaught, Jawa, Hoth Rebel Soldier - 77 backs: FX-7, Luke Bespin, Orig Leia
    Follow the 'Chive Cast on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro12345 View Post
    I wanted to get some opinions on the the best way to watch the original trilogy and which cut/format is preferred for listening to the soundtrack.
    I think the ultimate version of Star Wars (as in A New Hope) is definitely Star Wars: Revisited. It is a 'special edition' or more accurately a labour of love fan edit by an FX guru called Adywan. It has over 250 seamlessly integrated changes, most of them 'fixes' rather than additions... It took him over two years to create it and he's currently working on Empire Strikes Back: Revisited (which I think has taken him far longer but is nearly ready for release). You can find out more about it here:

ANH:R Change List | Star Wars Revisited News

Here's a couple of comparison shots...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro12345 View Post
    ...but I've never really investigated some of the more obscure formats. I would be happy to buy a LD player if the LD version was considerably better.

Also...the soundtrack. I prefer the original vinyl mass-produced soundtrack. Again though, is there a foreign release that has extra stuff? Does reel-to-reel sound better than the vinyl. Does the CD box set capture the "warmth" of the original vinyl? I'd like to know how you guys prefer to listen.
    I'm going to bring up a very obscure format that many people don't know about,not because its the best, but it is from the classic era, and an interesting way to see the OT. That is....

CEP (Capacitance Electronic Disc). Basically its an analog video/audio disc similar to the old record LPs, but with video included. The OT was available in that format and players are still floating around. It wasbasically the 8-track of video discs, but not as well known or embraced at the time.

Here's a link:

TheDigitalLifestyle.tv - Your App Authority - Home - Retro Tech Tuesday: The CED*Player
    Last edited by Leif_G; 10-31-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    An 'Inner Circle' Of One...
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

Commander

I still prefer the original VCR tapes before Lucas started fiddling with the OT for the DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison2951 View Post
    I still prefer the original VCR tapes before Lucas started fiddling with the OT for the DVD and Blu-ray releases.
    Lucas began fiddling with the OT long before even the original VCR tapes were released.
    An 'Inner Circle' Of One...
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai_Tree_Ent View Post
    I think the ultimate version of Star Wars (as in A New Hope) is definitely Star Wars: Revisited. It is a 'special edition' or more accurately a labour of love fan edit by an FX guru called Adywan. It has over 250 seamlessly integrated changes, most of them 'fixes' rather than additions... It took him over two years to create it and he's currently working on Empire Strikes Back: Revisited (which I think has taken him far longer but is nearly ready for release). You can find out more about it here:

ANH:R Change List | Star Wars Revisited News

Here's a couple of comparison shots...

great info dude they have the OT on this weekend on TV here (no Special editions tho)
    Big L Rest In Peace!

my feedback :Feedback for Snake_Eyes_82