Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: POP Missing MOC Figures - What is Best Option?

POP Missing MOC Figures - What is Best Option?

Hey there. I have a chance to get my hands on some MOC figures, but the POP is missing on a lot of them. I have seen some people try to send these to AFA, to come back with a 50 or 60 grade, which makes grading as MOC not an option.

Should I nevertheless try to acquire these if the price is right? If so, could I receive a U grade from AFA on the loose figures if submitted for loose grading? Any other ideas on what to do with them if I acquire them and whether it is even worth it in the first place? I would be paying no more than $20-30 each.

Thanks!

Ross

Don't grade them. ABSOLUTELY don't U-grade them. It'd be a crime to destroy the figures unless the cardbacks are totally trashed. There are lots of collectors who'd be happy to snag no-Pop figures at affordable prices.

If you want to keep and display them, get regular acrylic cases.
    Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
    President - http://www.pswcs.com
    Executive Editor - http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
    Artist & Writer - http://c7yb.com

Quote Originally Posted by BillCable View Post
    Don't grade them. ABSOLUTELY don't U-grade them. It'd be a crime to destroy the figures unless the cardbacks are totally trashed. There are lots of collectors who'd be happy to snag no-Pop figures at affordable prices.

If you want to keep and display them, get regular acrylic cases.
    I second this idea! I bet they still look great from the front and would make the not as picky colelctor happy to have some affordible MOC's that still display really well. Not everyone cares about the POP on the back, it would be a shame to have these turned into "U" grades......
    Wanted: Jawa proofs, pre-production Boushh items,First shots of the "1st 12", and anything Jessica Meade.
    I have cash and many great trade items!

My Feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

I agree. U-Grading is stupid IMO. As stated, depending on how picky you are (if you plan to keep and display) you could easily flip them to a collector that might not mind a missing POP. I have a few MOC where the POP is gone but you can't tell from the front. They display beautifully and I got them for a song. At the end of the day they will be yours to do as you wish. Good luck
    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power are barbarians..." Geroge Lucas

Admiral

Please do not U Grade. I have some carded figures missing the POP and they display fine.

Please don't U grade......please please please don't U grade. Each time someone U grades, somewhere in the world, a baby dies, so please don't U grade. It's a dark art that I just don't see the reasoning behind. Those POP-less figures are worth more to those collecting carded figures on their original cardbacks, and will display even better on their original cardbacks. They are ultimately yours to do with as you see fit but all we ask is.....please don't U grade.

Wow! I am surprised at the strong opinions against U-grading but totally get the point. Not sure i am totally convinced but if I do acquire them, I will try to flip them first AFA reasonable price. If I can't do that, then I may have to consider other options. Thanks for the advice so far.

Have to agree with the sentiment here regarding U grading, there are plenty of collectors out there who would gladly have MOC's in their collection despite their POP's missing.

Many people who enter the hobby start off by collecting lesser condition carded figures and these are perfect for them, when I first started I bought any condition I could find from absolute beaters to cut bubbles. It was just a thrill to have them in hand, as people mature as collectors they soon start wanting to collect better condition cards. These certainly have a place in the hobby in their current condition, once they're removed and Ugraded they are lost forever as a MOC.

Please don't Ugrade them Ross if you get them they are of course yours to do with as you wish but Ugrading is such a destructive practice.

Here's a great read on Ugrading : powerofthetoys.com U Grade
    Yehuda_K likes this.
    Vintage Collector

Feedback - /http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1073251/

Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by darth_roscoe View Post
    Wow! I am surprised at the strong opinions against U-grading but totally get the point. Not sure i am totally convinced but if I do acquire them, I will try to flip them first AFA reasonable price. If I can't do that, then I may have to consider other options. Thanks for the advice so far.
    U Grading is one of (if not the most) hated aspects of the hobby. If your plan is to sell them then I would guess that there's a much bigger market for MOCs missing the POP than there is for U Grades.

Sam and BlueDog, thanks for the additional opinions. I have only been collecting in earnest for the past year and I am still learning. I appreciate the strong opinions against U grading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast