Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New to forums any tips on collecting for a newb?

New to forums any tips on collecting for a newb?

Sorry if this is not the right place to post, but I am new to the world of collecting star wars figures, and I wanted to see if any of you could give any advice/tips on where to really start. Thanks in advance guys/gals!

Fleet Admiral

welcome,,,, Collect what and how you like, Buy here in the junkyard ( as it's the best place on the net) , be careful of EBAY and ask many questions here. Every collector on here has a specialty and more than welcome to help others. Are you looking to collect loose , carded ?

-James

3. Thanks from: manowarjoe

Quote Originally Posted by assemblyrequired View Post
    welcome,,,, Collect what and how you like, Buy here in the junkyard ( as it's the best place on the net) , be careful of EBAY and ask many questions here. Every collector on here has a specialty and more than welcome to help others. Are you looking to collect loose , carded ?

-James
    Thanks for the welcome and the tips! I really want to collect both carded and loose. I know starting in vintage will be tough as opposed to the modern stuff. I hav a few MOC potf2 stuff, but nothing to brag about just yet.

Be patient and do your research. Nothing worse than adding a substandard figure which will lead you to simply spend more to upgrade later on. Also find trusted dealers...it'll make your life easier and collecting more enjoyable. People you can trust will make a huge difference when you look to add a rare or high end figure to your collection. Plus, ask questions here before you buy!
    Loved watching Empire with my twin daughters at the age of 3...funny how much they understand the movie when one yells "No no no that not him daddy!"

6. Thanks from: manowarjoe

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi1977 View Post
    Be patient and do your research. Nothing worse than adding a substandard figure which will lead you to simply spend more to upgrade later on. Also find trusted dealers...it'll make your life easier and collecting more enjoyable. People you can trust will make a huge difference when you look to add a rare or high end figure to your collection. Plus, ask questions here before you buy!
    Thank you for the sound advice. I have been looking around for the vintage stuff here and there, but i've been purchasing newer stuff (potf2) MOC to start out. I know vintage is where I want to eventually get to! Thank you again for the advice, I really appreciate any and all I can get, considering i'm a newb starting kinda late! Ha!

From one newby on this forum to another, what made you start collecting star wars by now?
    and on collecting, well, ebay offers such a lot to buy, but like others said, always check feedback of the sellers. Also, if you see something you're interested in, you might wanna check prices for sold items. That gives you an idea of what such items are going for. You can do such a search if you choose "advanced search" on ebay..

not sure where you live, but if you have the chance to go to a collectors fair or the like, it's always good to see items for real rather then on pictures
    Oh, when you want to bid on an online auction, first decided what you want to pay.... Once you are getting outbid, it's very tempting to place another bid and another...

but whatever you buy, just enjoy it and buy what you like, not what others say you have to or what you think 'might be worth a lot'. :-)

A lot of toys have been sold since 1995 and loads can be bought for just a few bucks. Some older collectors are also selling whole lots, which might be interesting buys as well.

Don't forget to have fun :-)))
    mace
    Rudy likes this.

9. Thanks from: manowarjoe

Welcome aboard.

By buying sensibly from the the start you will get more for your money and more out of the hobby.

Work out what you want and research its value (finished auctions) before chasing it - note prices are up slightly at the moment but there are anomalies where items have gone way over value for whatever reasons - set yourself a limit and if it goes over wait for the next one.

Postage can be a killer - it can be a similar amount to the value of half the loose figures - so I say bulk is better - others will say stagger your purchases to get maximum enjoyment - but if you're chasing MOCs then you'll have plenty to seek out and drive you mad later. On that note decide early if you want debut cards, offerless cards, AFA's items etc to save you again having to mess around replacing them later. Maybe buy one or two of both first up and see which format calls to you, and don't do what I did and get the likes of General Madine first because they were cheap and available or you'll wonder if you really want to collect these when the anticlimax - go for your favourites.

As people have said research the item until you are happy with the condition - don't be afraid to ask for extra pictures or post weapons here if they look off. Research into repros so you are familiar with the telltale signs (stiff plastic, float tests etc.)

It is important to pay attention to what folks say about storage, discolouration (of figures and bubbles) and so on or you may end up with a jaded collection shortly down the line - sunlight can be a killer! Do a quick search.

And again it's already been said but don't necessarily buy into the opinions of anyone on here, make your own path - decide what you personally like and don't like. Above all just enjoy it.

11. Thanks from: manowarjoe
    HWR

My advices would be. First do some research about the figures and deside what you want to collect (loose, carded, variations, foreign licenced variations, bootlegs etc). When buying only buy in condition you're satisfied with, replacing stuff can be quite expensive. So patience, focusing and gathering knowledge are keywords.
    Last edited by HWR; 10-07-2013 at 04:31 AM.

13. Thanks from: manowarjoe

Quote Originally Posted by snlmace View Post
    From one newby on this forum to another, what made you start collecting star wars by now?
    and on collecting, well, ebay offers such a lot to buy, but like others said, always check feedback of the sellers. Also, if you see something you're interested in, you might wanna check prices for sold items. That gives you an idea of what such items are going for. You can do such a search if you choose "advanced search" on ebay..

not sure where you live, but if you have the chance to go to a collectors fair or the like, it's always good to see items for real rather then on pictures
    Oh, when you want to bid on an online auction, first decided what you want to pay.... Once you are getting outbid, it's very tempting to place another bid and another...

but whatever you buy, just enjoy it and buy what you like, not what others say you have to or what you think 'might be worth a lot'. :-)

A lot of toys have been sold since 1995 and loads can be bought for just a few bucks. Some older collectors are also selling whole lots, which might be interesting buys as well.

Don't forget to have fun :-)))
    mace
    Thanks for the awesome advice! I think what really made me want to push to collect was the idea of knowing I can have all the figures that made me happy as a child and one day be able to pass that joy onto my children and so on. The idea of collecting and the excitement that comes with getting that new piece in your hands is amazing! That feeling I don't think can truly be re-created anywhere else!
    “You underestimate the power of the dark side” // Twitter @JoeTheSEOer // Flickr // Reddit

Thank you all for the tips, I really do appreciate it! I know I have some modern age stuff that I collect now, but I would love to get into the vintage if possible. I might even create some room and sell off some of my current stuff in order to up my budget for the vintage stuff. Thanks again for all the welcomes and the advice/help. You guys' rock!
    “You underestimate the power of the dark side” // Twitter @JoeTheSEOer // Flickr // Reddit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast