Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AFA refusal thought...

Fleet Admiral

•    

AFA refusal thought...

AFA commonly refuses mocs that have ink touch ups. Thought is, why don't they just ding the card score, say 50 pts instead of not grading it at all? I understand not grading reseals or fakes, but ink marks, seems like something they can still grade.

thoughts?

Banned

•    
    I've actually ran into this...they sent it back and recommended I scrape off the ink...at first I thought this was ridiculous, but I did it anyway, as I didn't really have another choice...the card still scored an 80 and the piece scored an 85...the card was a border-line afa 85, but I was pretty happy with the over-all grade and the advice they gave me, even though at the time I thought that was absurd...I also think not grading ink touch-ups is wierd...PSA grades anything with tape, for instance, as no higher than a 3 out of 10, but they do grade it...

Quote Originally Posted by BobaFett34 View Post
    I've actually ran into this...they sent it back and recommended I scrape off the ink...at first I thought this was ridiculous, but I did it anyway, as I didn't really have another choice...the card still scored an 80 and the piece scored an 85...the card was a border-line afa 85, but I was pretty happy with the over-all grade and the advice they gave me, even though at the time I thought that was absurd...I also think not grading ink touch-ups is wierd...PSA grades anything with tape, for instance, as no higher than a 3 out of 10, but they do grade it...
    That is just plain silly, wouldn't a pice be better off with the ink mark present then having scratch marks on it? Maybe they should create a different color label/category for items with ink marks and touch ups. This would seperate them and still let these items be graded, while bringing in more $ revenue for the grading services.
    Wanted: Jawa 12 back or 20 back proofs, pre-production Boushh, textured cape Leia, and anything Jessica Meade. I'm also looking for 1st shots of the "First 20". I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

I'm just guessing that AFA would prefer the item to have say shelf wear etc rather than be restored or touched up with marker in some way. I could be wrong tho.

Edit... Damage must be acceptable but restoration of any sort is not acceptable.
    Last edited by Grant; 09-26-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

I agree 100% with the AFA in regards to not grading restored figures. It is not authentic. Tainted love!!!!!
    AussieFortuna and Vitiate like this.

I totally agree with AFA, grading cards with ink touch ups totally defeats the purpose, id be filthy if i got an AFA graded piece and it had ink touch ups, AFA needs to keep some standards, they would lose all credit if they graded pieces with touch ups, if you want to run a business like AFA you need to have standards and credibility.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

I totally understand not grading items that have been "touched up", but what about items that have price stickers or bar codes marked up w/ pen and marker by the original store? Or items that have a price written on it in marker from a flea market or discount store? These items were not written on to hide or improve their condition and are still new in a sealed package.
    Wanted: Jawa 12 back or 20 back proofs, pre-production Boushh, textured cape Leia, and anything Jessica Meade. I'm also looking for 1st shots of the "First 20". I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

Quote Originally Posted by Kenner76 View Post
    I totally understand not grading items that have been "touched up", but what about items that have price stickers or bar codes marked up w/ pen and marker by the original store? Or items that have a price written on it in marker from a flea market or discount store? These items were not written on to hide or improve their condition and are still new in a sealed package.
    Kenner, as youve said i think one is done to deceive and the other is not, its sort of a different kettle of fish.
    Price tags and prices marked is clearly there for all to see, as a buyer its fully disclosed, but if its a touch up its a different story all together.
    Maybe your idea about separate and disclosed grades is a good one too.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

Banned

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieFortuna View Post
    Kenner, as youve said i think one is done to deceive and the other is not, its sort of a different kettle of fish.
    Price tags and prices marked is clearly there for all to see, as a buyer its fully disclosed, but if its a touch up its a different story all together.
    Maybe your idea about separate and disclosed grades is a good one too.
    I think it's absurd that PSA grades baseball cards with ink, tape, etc., but AFA won't. Why not, what's the difference?

Grand Admiral

CGC does grade comic books with ink touch ups, but they give them a variation in their grading. Instead of the normal "Blue label" which means its as it was printed, no adjustment, they give it a purple label indicating its been restored/touched up. It is instant death for the books value to be honest, and most people wont touch a purple logo unless its cheap. Maybe AFA should have a restored grade too.
    "ok...ill sign an autograph..." -Mark Hamill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast