Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Shawn_K
  • 1 Post By SF1138
  • 1 Post By Christian
  • 1 Post By leesweinberg

Thread: Question about Early Bird Kit value/price

Commander

Question about Early Bird Kit value/price

I'm looking to eventually purchase an early bird kit, and this eBay auction came up during my search. It generally looks to be in quite nice condition, although the Action Figure Stand coupon has been removed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1977-Ea...item232f50b63b

Is this a fair price? If not, what do you think is more reasonable? I cant find any comparable prices online. Appreciate any input.

You might want to remove that eBay link.

I don't think that price is bad. Here's two recent non DT early bird examples that sold for more.

Star Wars Early Bird Four Figure Set 1977 w Box Catalog Kenner Pin Must See | eBay

Star Wars AFA 85 RARE Mailer Kit Early Bird Set Dark Blue R2 D2 Vintage | eBay

And if the coupon bothers you, you're in luck in that one is for sale here that you could replace it with if you wanted and it'd still be within the price of these two previous sales and you could make some back by selling the extra missing the coupon.
    Last edited by Shawn_K; 09-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    ChrisB likes this.
    Collection Website|U Grade FAQ|My Feedback

WTB: Luke Jedi POTF Proof

Commander

this is really helpful -- much appreciated!

I live and breathe EB Kits...
    SW-D Luke in an early bird kit is highly uncommon. I don't think I've ever seen one. As for the coupon, it is a big part of the value. As far as the box and contents, if the tray is uncracked (MANY HAVE HOLES IN CORNERS FROM THE FACTORY), it looks like a fair deal. Swapping out the coupon can run up to $500-600 for a near perfect one.

If you find a DT Luke it will help value. With the small catalog, it probably already had the DT Luke originally. Most transitional pieces came with the larger catalog.

Even with the SW-D baggie and small catalog it is possible, but uncommon.

As a long term piece, you need the coupon, but I'd get pics from and back of everything. Best wishes!

Roger

As to the two sets mentioned, the first was a tad high, and included two rare items (otherwise about $1700-2000).(it had a receipt for the eb envelope he was selling at the same time, and a pinback that is somewhat rare, including these so someone could get the matching auctions and at the time of these auctions effected value artificially)

The second sold about $1000 lower than value and an 85 is bear to get on these, the one you are talking about is a 70 and an 80 with paperwork. It should have gone much higher, but newbies want the DT luke... (one sold as an 85 for $10k last year, and another over $5k more recently)
    Last edited by SF1138; 09-13-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    Shawn_K likes this.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by SF1138 View Post
    I live and breathe EB Kits...
    SW-D Luke in an early bird kit is highly uncommon. I don't think I've ever seen one. As for the coupon, it is a big part of the value. As far as the box and contents, if the tray is uncracked (MANY HAVE HOLES IN CORNERS FROM THE FACTORY), it looks like a fair deal. Swapping out the coupon can run up to $500-600 for a near perfect one.

If you find a DT Luke it will help value. With the small catalog, it probably already had the DT Luke originally. Most transitional pieces came with the larger catalog.

Even with the SW-D baggie and small catalog it is possible, but uncommon.

As a long term piece, you need the coupon, but I'd get pics from and back of everything. Best wishes!

Roger

As to the two sets mentioned, the first was a tad high, and included two rare items (otherwise about $1700-2000).(it had a receipt for the eb envelope he was selling at the same time, and a pinback that is somewhat rare, including these so someone could get the matching auctions and at the time of these auctions effected value artificially)

The second sold about $1000 lower than value and an 85 is bear to get on these, the one you are talking about is a 70 and an 80 with paperwork. It should have gone much higher, but newbies want the DT luke... (one sold as an 85 for $10k last year, and another over $5k more recently)
    As ever good info from Roger re EB sets.

IMHO I think that set is a little over CMV due to the box repair and redeemed coupon. Jake (j74) has got some nice EB pieces available currently and if you do pick up an ungraded EB set (WARNING! Massive self-promotional link ) then: FS: Early Bird Mailer Set Acrylic Display Cases - IN STOCK NOW!!

Good luck and welcome to the crazy and addicitive world of the Early Bird set!

Regards,
    Christian
    Shawn_K likes this.
    Acrylic MOC Cases; Sliding Back Loose Figure Cases & Display Steps For Sale:
    GW Acrylic MOC; Loose Figure Cases; Display Steps
    Please email: info@gwacrylic.co.uk or please 'Like' us on Facebook here: GW Acrylic

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    As ever good info from Roger re EB sets.

IMHO I think that set is a little over CMV due to the box repair and redeemed coupon. Jake (j74) has got some nice EB pieces available currently and if you do pick up an ungraded EB set (WARNING! Massive self-promotional link ) then: FS: Early Bird Mailer Set Acrylic Display Cases - IN STOCK NOW!!

Good luck and welcome to the crazy and addicitive world of the Early Bird set!

Regards,
    Christian
    I can get the seller down to $1,700 which seems relatively reasonable -- but still not 100% sure.

However, if/when i do get one, i am DEFINITELY getting one of the custom acrylic cases. Those are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!
    Christian likes this.