Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Takara Darth Vader question:

Banned

•    

Takara Darth Vader question:

One of my prize collectibles and I was just looking for some information. I thought just a small number of 12 Back Darth Vader's with the white background were made under the Kenner label and distributed in the US. Is this just a Takara without the gold sticker? On the AFA grading label it says "12 Back-C Kenner (White Background)" It is also listed as a separate variation than the regular 12 Backs and Takara. This led me to believe it was indeed a distinctive sub-class. There are only 13 graded examples of these according to AFA population reports and this particular one is- 1 of 9 AFA-85's making it quite rare without the Takara sticker. If anyone knows about this I'd like to find out for sure. Thanks
    Last edited by Brandonels; 08-24-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Have a good close look at the sculpt of the figure, here below is what a Takara Vader should look like...

•    
    Hey Brandon....

i own one of these as well....and was interested to know what it was and why it was missing the sticker.

Resident Vader expert Bill McBride filled me in on the details. It's just a Takara white background Vader with the sticker removed thats been subsequently graded.

Whether or not it ever had a Takara sticker is purely conjecture but mines is exactly the same.

Hope this helps.
    Darren
    Okay.Fine.You win.
    Now I'm going to enjoy my life while you are buried under a pile of plastic and cardboard.
    Big Barada

Banned

•    
    Yes the figure in mine is indeed a different sculpt from the regular Kenner Vader and looks like this one, but does that make it Takara by default? Or perhaps this figure was released in the US as well? I only ask because AFA listed it as a Kenner....not a Takara.

Banned

•    
    Ok Thanks Darren I wrote the last reply before I saw your answer
    Last edited by Brandonels; 08-24-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Banned

•    
    There is absolutely no sticker residue and I don't believe it ever had a sticker on it. Does the absence of the sticker make it more valuable that say a Takara with one applied?
    Adam_L likes this.

From my perspective, I'd say it's more desirable to have the Takara sticker on there (doesn't take up that much room, and not as tacky as the Euro yellow/red Tri-logo price stickers). To me it's a incomplete Takara white background MOC, by not having the Takara sticker.
    "It is better to light a small candle then to curse the darkness" ~Confucius
    WTB:any ESB Rebel Soldier Proof card
    “Math is like love -- a simple idea but it can get complicated.” ~Anonymous

Banned

•    
    That's an interesting perspective on it. I was totally misguided to think it was a White Background that was released in the US, because AFA labeled it as Kenner and not Takara. It was my thought that since it didn't have the Takara sticker it would make it a much rarer piece and thus more desirable, especially in the US where a good portion of people prefer to collect those with the familiar Kenner label reminiscent of their childhood and not so much as say Palitoy or General Mills. Thanks for your insight! I still love the piece, the white background behind Vader with the red footer is stunning!
    Last edited by Brandonels; 08-24-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Yes, the alternate figure sculpt, white background and red footer are the great & butter for sure. The added Takara sticker would be the "potatoes", but does add a little bit of flavor (the mineral potassium ) to the overall package.

I had two of these in the past, but sold them to fellow collectors back in 2004-05. I'd like to pick up another at some point in the price is right, but the prices have been out of control since 2005, and they infrequently come up for sale/trade as of 2007 or so.
    "It is better to light a small candle then to curse the darkness" ~Confucius
    WTB:any ESB Rebel Soldier Proof card
    “Math is like love -- a simple idea but it can get complicated.” ~Anonymous

Banned

•    
    Tell me about it I saw one similar to mine going for $4500. Good for me if I wanted to sell (which I don't LOL) but bad if you want to pick one up. I sold a Palitoy 85 12 Back Darth Vader to a co-worker, who was originally from the UK. I sold it at a modest price plus I had the Kenner 12 back and the White Background so it wasn't too hard to let it go, but everyday I kick myself in the *** for letting it go! I've seen 85 Palitoy's priced upwards of 4k or higher, and I assume the Vader would sell for even more! He has since switched jobs and no longer in the area so I cant even attempt to buy it back!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast