Thread: Early Bird Darth Vader

Lieutenant Commander

•    

Early Bird Darth Vader

I was in my attic looking through some of my older Star Wars toys hoping to find some holy grail piece and I found a respectable collector's piece: An Early Bird Darth Vader. I've been collecting Star Wars items a long time and I don't think I've ever seen an Early Bird Vader for sale. Its not a DT /cry but the figure inside the HK marked baggie is pristine an easy 85 grade or perhaps even 90. I'm looking for opinions on this from fellow collectors. Anyone have an idea of its prospective value? Should I get it graded? If so should I grade it so its still in the baggie or should it be taken out by AFA and given a "U" grade? Perhaps maybe even sell it without grading? Any suggestions on my best option would be a big help! Thanks!

Admiral

Hello, there's no such thing as an Early Bird Vader; the term 'Early Bird' (or EB ) specifically refers to 4 figures : Luke, Leia, Chewie and R2, as these were the only 4 figures that came in the EB set. Whats you have is simply a 'bagged' Darth Vader. Still worth more than a loose Vader by itself. Heres a great reference guide for Kenner baggies : A Collectors Guide To Kenner Baggies There are different baggies. Try identify yours!
    Last edited by Maelkos; 08-22-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Lieutenant Commander

•    
    Thanks for the link. Ok so its not considered an early bird. I did match the baggie and it appears it is the SW-d version with the horizontal HK lettering on the bag which puts its release as 1978. Do you think this would be worth more than just an average 1978 loose graded Darth Vader? Then I should have AFA "not" remove it from the bag for grading? I looked through the article but it didn't see it specify if this particular SW-d bagged figure was released before the carded version. Do you know if it was relased before the carded version? If so would that not put it among the first Darth Vaders produced? Thanks!
    Last edited by Brandonels; 08-22-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Lieutenant Commander

•    
    Actually it looks like it was not produced before the carded version but was still released in the 1978 year so my other questions still stand please. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonels View Post
    Thanks for the link. Ok so its not considered an early bird. I did match the baggie and it appears it is the SW-d version with the horizontal HK lettering on the bag which puts its release as 1978. Do you think this would be worth more than just an average 1978 loose graded Darth Vader? Then I should have AFA "not" remove it from the bag for grading? I looked through the article but it didn't see it specify if this particular SW-d bagged figure was released before the carded version. Do you know if it was relased before the carded version? If so would that not put it among the first Darth Vaders produced? Thanks!

Yes, a sealed baggie Vader is a higher value than the same loose Vader figure. I would keep the Vader in the baggie. I'm not a big fan of the AFA U grade. The SW-d baggie was around the 78 and 79 time frame. The baggie Vader was not released before the carded version as you know now.

Here is another web link which is a good read on mail-order figure packs. Click on the stores (on the bottom of the page) to see the different Vader offerings for 78/79:

Guide to Mail-Order Figure Packs

Paul
    Last edited by Fuzz_Ball; 08-23-2013 at 12:11 AM.
    I may lack a witty signature here but my opinions are legendary.

*** Looking for any Preproduction R2-D2 items... PMs are welcome ***

Lieutenant Commander

•    
    Thanks for the info. Yes I'm not a big fan of the U grade either. In my opinion too many carded figures are being destroyed for this U grade. Unfortunately, what I have witnessed on the market is that U85's or 90's are priced a fair bit more than an regular 85 or 90, and they are getting the extra money for them. To me it doesn't make a lot of sense. I see it happen all the time that a possible 90 figure on a C-5 card sell for only $100 while a U90 figure go for $300. As I already own a 90 loose Vader and a 12 back 85 carded, the bagged figure, albeit nice, is rather redundant. I'd like to get the most money I possibly can for it to raise funds for another character I don't have.
    Last edited by Brandonels; 08-23-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Admiral

I agree with Fuzz_Ball: leave it sealed I would rename the thread though so that Vader or Baggie experts can chime in and give you an approximate value for this particular baggie, as well as its likely provenance (i.e. what multi-pack or special offer item it came with). Some versions of bagged figures are definitely rarer and more sought after than others. And someone out there is definitely looking to complete his Multi-pack or his special offer Tie Fighter (link to special offer items : http://theswca.com/images-speci/spec.../Specials.html) EDIT : saw one sold on ebay.uk for 45 pounds, app. 70$US.
    Last edited by Maelkos; 08-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Commodore

If you search 'baggie Vader' in eBay completed auctions, you may be able to match yours up to estimate it's current value.

Captain

Absolutely keep it in the bag. I myself have a vintage baggie focus, and absolutely spend more on baggie figures than I spend/spent on their loos counterparts. I think it is safe to say there will always be more loose figures than bagged counterparts. Even figures that were only ever released in bags are probably more unbagged than bagged.
    As far as grading goes. That's a personal thing. I collect ungraded. I have even bought a graded figure I needed then cracked it out of its prison.
    If you just want the most money you can, the send it bagged for grading, but then you have to take into account the cost of the grading process, postage etc.
    Good luck.
    No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. Jim Morrison.
    My feedback at: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1109218/#post19380567