Thread: Perplexed by sudden amount of grey battery covers!!

•    

Perplexed by sudden amount of grey battery covers!!

I know this is a bit random....

but having been in the "game" for a while I'm certainly surprised by the amount of GREY battery covers available for the Imperial Troop Transport.

10 years ago finding these was nearly impossible and I gave up trying to find one(being the crazy,young variant collector I was in my late 20s!!)

i just bought one today for a few quid....and checking recent completed listings on Ebay it appears there are suddenly loads of them around.....

I'm not suggesting somebody is suddenly faking and flooding the market with them,but it definitely seems weird...

here are some pics from an older thread

Vintage Star Wars Toys made by PALITOY in the UK?

Any thoughts??
    Darren
    Last edited by _Darren_; 08-21-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Okay.Fine.You win.
    Now I'm going to enjoy my life while you are buried under a pile of plastic and cardboard.
    Big Barada

Moff

Well they make reproduction red ones (which I can't tell apart from real ones) maybe grey ones have been made too.

•    
    But is there actually any money in faking battery covers??....Weapons....I can see the logic and market....but the ones I have seen come with the transport and have sold for about a tenner......

hardly a money-spinning venture....??

Darren
    Okay.Fine.You win.
    Now I'm going to enjoy my life while you are buried under a pile of plastic and cardboard.
    Big Barada

Moff

As logical as paying $10 for a recard kit when a cut bubble cardback can be less
    Vehicles, Playsets & Other -

Darren, I don't think there are fakes of the grey battery cover and if there were it would be an easy spot because the Troop Transporter they actually pair with has a different COO stamp than the regular version.

If you want to tell if its a genuine grey cover Transporter just flip it over and look at the COO, it should be on the side panel rather than the normal position of being on the central panel. I'll try and dig mine out and snap some pics.
    BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION... of little figures UPDATED 3 PACK BACKDROPS Vintage Price Guide!!
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/

VOTW #7 Imperial Troop Transporter (39290) 310504

Quote Originally Posted by Full_on_Robbot_Chubby View Post

This is a detail shot of my version with the grey battery cover, next to a red one for comparison. If I can find the card reader for my camera I'll post a general pic of this version.

There are other differences too, the door has a ridge on it (I'm guessing the mould is the same as that used for the non-taliking Imperial Cruiser), and the underside shows a lot of differences (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.cak...***/trans2.jpg)

Anybody come across one of these in a box and know which it came in? I've seen/heard of a couple of others in the UK, but my childhood Palitoy one had the red battery cover.
    -VICTORY IS OURS-
    -YOU WILL JOIN US-
    visit your imperial recruitment center now.

Yes indeed, this is the underside and the grey battery cover version is on the right:

They come in the normal Palitoy boxes with the French sticker panel. They are definitely rarer than the red cover version, but as Darren has pointed they are certainly not uber rare and can be found without too much difficulty (although getting a mint boxed example might not be easy).
    BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION... of little figures UPDATED 3 PACK BACKDROPS Vintage Price Guide!!
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/