Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aeluna

Thread: Kenner Aliens mastermind needed!

Commander

Kenner Aliens mastermind needed!

I've come across a set of 3 Alien Series 3 marines (O'Malley, Hudson, and Vasquez) AMERICAN releases. According to what little information I can find on the net, the series 3 marines were only released in the UK distinguished by a multilingual disclaimer on the front of the card. There apparently was an American release of the figures, but American stores rejected the figures as the Series 1 marines were selling horribly thus the Series 3 marines never made their debut. Instead, these figures were shipped back to Kenner China and destroyed or sold on the toy 'black market'. According to a forum member on another site, there were only x12 of ea. of the 3 marines that survived.

The Aliens line never did that well. The other figures, vehicles, and play sets can be purchased fairly cheaply on the bay. So what would a mint AMERICAN release example go for? What do you think a fair value would be on something like this with no real $$ transaction background?

I need some die hard Alien/Kenner junkies to chirp in!! Any info much appreciated!

Luna

Admiral

Series 1 and 2 sold pretty well for a while. I think the biggest problem was that it was a line that was supposed to be out alongside a cartoon that never came. Considering that, a toyline based on an R rated movie that came out before most of the target audience was even born getting deep into 2 series' (with the Predator line being an additional spin-off) wasn't too bad. Mint American releases seem like they fetch a pretty high dollar. I'm not even sure how you would go about measuring that. Sorry - not much help!

Personally I always liked the repaints that came about 5 years later. Movie accurate colors look so much better on those figures.

Not sure who made up the 12x of each. They most likely are unproduced. But a number of them have appeared over the years. I cannot hazard a price. But a Vasquez just ended on ebay rather cheap.
    Constantly searching for Prototypes of Transformers, Battle Beasts, Mega Force, Beetlejuice Animated, Pirates of Dark Water, Bucky O'Hare, Thundercats & Dungeons and Dragons!

Commander

Let me see if I can find some links and bring some sense to all of this.

I misstated the supposed survival number earlier. According to this article found here (Kenner Aliens Action Figure Line - Alien Wiki), of the 36 cases sent to the US and returned to Kenner China, only 12 survived. Why 24 cases would be destroyed and 12 survive? Who knows.

There is this video on youtube (Rare Aliens Series 3 Un-released Space Marine Vasquez 1994 - YouTube) where some kid obtained a Vasquez for $40 earlier this year. He basically regurgitates the information found on the previous link.

But then there's this. A member on this forum site (Kenner Aliens - Series 3 - Need Info) states that the figures were never officially distributed. That the American Vasquez, O'Malley, and Hudson were part small sample size (x3 cases) sent to Kenner stateside for final approval. Unfortunately they were rejected but was rumored that 1 case was distributed to Kenner employees and the other 2 were sent back to China to be scraped. Its also rumored that 2 cases were instead redistributed on the figurine 'black market'.

Lastly, and the most conclusive piece of evidence I've found is this. (http://www.16bit.com/fotd/120328-vasquez-aliens-space-marine.asp) The article basically states that its a common misconception that the Vasquez, O'Malley, and Hudson were exclusive to the UK (The UK release has distinct differences from the US style. Multilingual card, form fitting bubble etc). Kenner confirmed to Tomart's Action Figure Digest that of the 30,000 production line, US-style packaging was distributed to France, Hong Kong, and Australia. Of the 30,000 produced, exactly how many were US style though? Considering the sources, Tomart's appears to be the most reliable story. But I can't dismiss the rare, low production US "sample" cards yet.

If you look at the series 1 marines, their dog tags/names are located in the upper right portion of the card. The US-release Vasquez figure featured in the youtube link posted above, displays the dog tag directly above the square bubble. The kid in the video doesn't have an answer for this. Wouldn't this type of mistake be evidence of a small sample shipment?

I'm surprised there isn't more demand or info on this toy line. Considering how popular the original movies were and the fact that the original toy line accompanying the films was scraped. Now there's talk about the original prototypes being unearthed and releasing them just as they would have been years ago. Then there's the modern 90's line originally created for a Aliens cartoon that never happened. Somehow the toy line still managed to last several series expanding on the universe from the comics and video games. Just interesting stuff.

Luna

Last edited by aeluna; 08-23-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    John_Solo likes this.

It is a excellent post you made Luna. This is more of a late night response.

Overall I rarely trust anything on the net when it comes to numbers. I would need some paper or some recollections from Kenner Employee's before giving numbers. But overall the figure were sent to Kenner for approval with Green Cards (they have surfaced). But there is quite a number of the non green card regular production. These final cases are the ones talked about. If they were sent to Kenner they would have just been kicking around the shops or taken home. I do not hear stories of them destroying packaged piece like this before.

In my opinion that about 10-20, and probably more are still out there of each character. I have 2x Vasquez and 1x Malley and 1x Hudson in my collection. I really never kept count since they have been appearing rather frequently for 20 years.

I never heard the claim that this bubble style was released in France and actually am going to start looking into that. Tomart does like to report things but his information is questionable on stuff. The magazine he did produce did have some errors here and there. I also have talked with him a number of times face to face.

I think the Dog tag was just moved so the artwork could display better. All three characters had huge artwork with the new weapons. Kenner decided it was best to show it off.

I would only say it was produced and shipped when one appears with a price tag on the package.
    Constantly searching for Prototypes of Transformers, Battle Beasts, Mega Force, Beetlejuice Animated, Pirates of Dark Water, Bucky O'Hare, Thundercats & Dungeons and Dragons!

Commander

If you don't mind my asking Washu, do you remember what you paid for your x2 Vasqyez, Malley, and Hudson? One of the main reasons I've been digging into the history of these figures is because a set of all 3 was recently up for sale. The buyer originally wanted $3999, which I thought was ludicrous, and the lowest he would go would be 1k. If there was a clear transaction history of these figures being valued at either of those prices then I'd be more than happy to meet him at market value, but there isn't. Also keeping in mind that it doesn't appear that anything from the Aliens toy line particularly sells for big $$ and that kid from the video obtained a Vasquez for $40 makes me lean towards maybe $100-150 per fig. I will say though that besides very slight card warp his 3 examples were in great condition. Would love to have them in my collection but really have no sense of value. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aeluna View Post
    If you don't mind my asking Washu, do you remember what you paid for your x2 Vasqyez, Malley, and Hudson? One of the main reasons I've been digging into the history of these figures is because a set of all 3 was recently up for sale. The buyer originally wanted $3999, which I thought was ludicrous, and the lowest he would go would be 1k. If there was a clear transaction history of these figures being valued at either of those prices then I'd be more than happy to meet him at market value, but there isn't. Also keeping in mind that it doesn't appear that anything from the Aliens toy line particularly sells for big $$ and that kid from the video obtained a Vasquez for $40 makes me lean towards maybe $100-150 per fig. I will say though that besides very slight card warp his 3 examples were in great condition. Would love to have them in my collection but really have no sense of value. Thanks
    I bought most of my stuff in the late 90's. So telling you that I paid $30 each does not help.

4k is looney.

1k is pushing it still since they pop up still frequently.

I would IMO say $150-200 each is not a awful price pending on condition.

There are a lot of Aliens and Predator collectors. But the toys do not correlate to the movies. The prototypes are well in demand and many collectors are scouring for them. But again, these guys just have prototype packaging versus the whole figure.

Commander

I was flipping through the ebay completed listings and saw a O'Mally and Hudson 'sample' US card lot sold for $62.00 at auction. A Vasquez version individually sold for $41.00. These might not pop up all the time, but considering what you paid back in the 90's compared to current open auction rates, I think its safe to say these figures are comfortably priced under $100.
    Last edited by aeluna; 08-28-2013 at 08:57 PM.