Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: When you can't stick to a new focus....

When you can't stick to a new focus....

There are so many members who, in the past, have posted looking for a help in starting a new focus. They get bored, burnout, or run out of things to collect, it seems like a natural part of a scummers progression.

But what happens when one tries this over and over, but keep crawling back to the original one?! For over a year I've tried other rare bootlegs, a 12-back run, foreign MOCs, loose Ledy set, etc. And I ALWAYS sell these off to fund my one and true obsession, Uzays.

I know there are all these other awesome facets of vintage SW collecting, licensed and bootleg...I really admire some of the limelights out there like Steve's prototypes, Bill's Vaders, Martijn's Trems, Wolff's variants etc...but I just can't seem to stick to anything else.

So any advice for those of us who have trouble moving on?! Variety is the spice of life, isn't it?!

Turk
    Last edited by turkdlit; 08-12-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    Rendar likes this.
    Those who don't step up, lemon juice in their nose -jedibabu.

This is a REALLY GOOD topic Turk. I think you answered your own question because you keep going back to your true obsession, Uzays. I collected some really incredible variants. Extremely hard to find variants. After researching Kenner prototypes and some of the collectors that made discoveries in the 1990's (and forward), I was hooked. I sold every hard to find variant for my love, prototypes. My point is, I think you know what you are hooked on and you should continue with what you love. I admired your prior posts regarding Uzays, as I learned. That is the greatest contribution : )
    Steve
    SUP_Ronin likes this.

Ahh Steve I hear what you're saying but this is the thing - with prototypes your collecting days will be endless. It seems infinite the tough to find pieces which are locked up or not discovered yet. But my Uzay collecting days are over once I find the 6 MOCs which are the only pieces I need to finish up. And I will probably never land a headman on card so that really just leaves 5 Plus years can go by before I find even the next MOC which I need...so I totally need something in the interim.

Maybe my real fear is, what do I do once my true obsession is completed or near-completed? I'm sure others have completed tough runs before and said, "now what?" - so what have you guys done?
    The_Dark_Artist likes this.
    Those who don't step up, lemon juice in their nose -jedibabu.

"with prototypes your collecting days will be endless",
    but a lot of days in between too, with nothing. It's been a long break for me actually. But I completely understand what you are saying Turk. My thoughts come back to whatever you decide to collect will eventually fund your Uzay collection. I say collect anything that will contribute to your Uzay collection then... : ) just as long as it makes you happy.
    Rick Springfield may sell that MOC Headman to you eventually : ) I hope so!
    Last edited by The_Dark_Artist; 08-12-2013 at 07:39 PM.

You can't force yourself into another focus, so don't try. Do what you're doing now, try it out and see if it fits. It is literally all you can do. Maybe something else will catch your interest. If not, so be it.
    Last edited by DarthBerizing; 08-12-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    _Lee_ likes this.
    SHEESH!!!!i am not raping anyones childhood!!!! - Darren
    P.S. I'm glad you didn't get your toy - Baytrooper
    wow WOW! he brings more cowbell to every forum!! - Ross_C
    Feedback http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback

Nothin' weird about collecting any Star Wars. Turk, you're wise to sell off one focus to start another. My "problem" is letting go of pieces. I'm starting to realize selling stuff off is the only way I can move forward in the hobby. I guess the secret to Star Wars collecting happiness is collecting what ever makes you happy.
    Django likes this.

Turk, i say collect the thing that gives you the most pleasure and fun, the think that excites you with the thrill of the hunt, the thing that your most stimulated by, for you youve said thats Uzay.

Dont worry what will happen after youve collected as much as you can in that line, im sure your a passionate person, your passion will flow over into another area, its only natural for most collectors to find something new.

I felt the same as you did with uzay instead my passion was with kenner pieces and variants, i got to a point where it was getting a bit dull for me, id collected all i was interested in, for a few years i was really interested in various bootleg lines so i gave them a go and have found something im really enjoying.

So it will come to you buddy.
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by ReddingRedFive View Post
    Nothin' weird about collecting any Star Wars. Turk, you're wise to sell off one focus to start another. My "problem" is letting go of pieces. I'm starting to realize selling stuff off is the only way I can move forward in the hobby.
    I used to be the type that just added and never sold or traded. Once I moved past that mentality my collection really took off. I think my first trade was letting go of some, at the time, harder to get and downright rare bootlegs to JoeY. In turn he let go of some pretty heavy hitting prototypes. It was modern stuff but I landed things like molds, wax, etc. I started to do this a lot every few years. I'd wind up trading or selling a few $50 pieces for a $500 piece, Then a few $100 piece for some thousand dollar pieces. I've found over the years I've started many smaller runs only to later sell. I was slowly building more important runs though. Things can be nice distractions, they can even be pieces you are quite happy with, but eventually you'll see what you can let go of to raise money or trade when something for your true passion comes up. I've slowly added many facets to my collection over the years but I decided a while back I wanted a Micro run, coin run, and figure run. I've let go of a lot of stuff to add to those three runs. I enjoyed the stuff I let go of when I was hunting it and displaying it but my true passions won. Just follow your heart, but have fun while doing it.

John
    Last edited by JohnA; 08-13-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Broc, HWR, Jarrod_Zutton79 and 3 others like this.
    and time will be, the catalyst to weed out the weak and beget strength-of character
    -Shai Hulud
    http://theswca.com/
    southside_201 at yahoo dot com

High Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
    I used to be the type that just added and never sold or traded. Once I moved past that mentality my collection really took off. I think my first trade was letting go of some, at the time, harder to get and downright rare bootlegs to JoeY. In turn he let go of some pretty heavy hitting prototypes. It was modern stuff but I landed things like molds, wax, etc. I started to do this a lot every few years. I'd wind up trading or selling a few $50 pieces for a $500 piece, Then a few $100 piece for some thousand dollar pieces. I've found over the years I've started many smaller runs only to later sell. I was slowly building more important runs though. Things can be nice distractions, they can even be pieces you are quite happy with, but eventually you'll see what you can let go of to raise money or trade when something for your true passion comes up. I've slowly added many facets to my collection over the years but I decided a while back I wanted a Micro run, coin run, and figure run. I've let go of a lot of stuff to add to those three runs. I enjoyed the stuff I let go of when I was hunting it and displaying it but my true passions won. Just follow your heart, but have fun while doing it.

John
    I may have gone through the same process as John and come to a different conclusion. I found myself buying and selling too much, never found a solid ground with vintage SW and am now stuck mid-life seeking out the same stuff I had a decade ago. But I was doing the same thing, selling cheaper items to fund one more expensive piece. My issue is that I have loaded up now on stuff I love but is completely illiquid, meaning I can't throw it on eBay and expect to find the right buyer for it. This keeps it in the collection though Ultimately I am very happy having a high quality collection with a lot of stuff I cycle through in fad-like fashion, usually booking some nice profits. Currently I am on the downswing on Lego investing, which was fun while it lasted before Lego decided to drive that gravy train off the cliff.
    Last edited by tapuvae; 08-13-2013 at 10:29 PM.

•    
    I have collecting ADD as well. However, because I collect loose/complete and I collect beyond Star Wars, it goes in these crazy mental patterns with me. The result? I have large collections of Star Wars, GI Joe, Masters of the Universe and Voltron, complete Kenner Indiana Jones, core collections of Buck Rogers, Silverhawks, Thundercats, M.A.S.K., Tron, A-Team, Knight Rider, Captain Power, Robotech, Real Ghostbusters, Dukes of Hazzard - not to mention major forays into other lines such as Kenner's Super Powers, the 1989-1992 Batman toys, Batman: The Animated Series from Kenner, Secret Wars, **** Tracy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GoBots, Blackstar, Bravestarr, Clash of the Titans, Wheeled Warriors, Transformers, Rambo: The Force of Freedom, Centurions, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Willow, Legend of the Lone Ranger, StarCom...and it isn't going to be slowing down any time soon I expect...

The lesson? Follow your feelings.
    RussG likes this.
    I make videos about the history of vintage toys at http://www.youtube.com/retroblasting !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast