Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Early Bird Variations

Captain

Early Bird Variations

So the EARLY Early-Birds came with Chewy green bowcaster, and DT Luke. I have seen mention of a 'transition' EB that I think had one figure in a GM baggie, not w SW-a baggie. I think I have also seen mention of dark blue and light blue R2s. Different skin colour Lukes as well. I find the idea of sub-types interesting. Just like a 12 Back may be a,b,c,d etc the Early Bird pack has various types. Is there a definitive study of the authentic changes in the Early Bird pack, with regards to different bags, figures etc.?
    Vinnykenobi
    Every time I check the forum I learn something.
    No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. Jim Morrison.

The best resource I've found on EB kits and the variations is Mark_Yeo 's limelight.

My Early Bird Collection - updated 3 February 2013

I've also spoke with Roger a few times about EB kits (SF1138) and he had some great info on EB kits and minus the very first kits, most of them seem to be a random mix of baggie types. Perhaps we can poke him to chime in.

If there is a website or other experts on these, I'd love to hear more about them as well; I purchased my first example recently and have become fascinated with them.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by vinnykenobi View Post
    So the EARLY Early-Birds came with Chewy green bowcaster, and DT Luke. I have seen mention of a 'transition' EB that I think had one figure in a GM baggie, not w SW-a baggie. I think I have also seen mention of dark blue and light blue R2s. Different skin colour Lukes as well. I find the idea of sub-types interesting. Just like a 12 Back may be a,b,c,d etc the Early Bird pack has various types. Is there a definitive study of the authentic changes in the Early Bird pack, with regards to different bags, figures etc.?
    Vinnykenobi
    Every time I check the forum I learn something.
    EB Kits did not come with Green Bowcasters, Dark Blue R2's and DT Lukes exclusively.

Although these are frequently found in EB Kits, they are by no means the only options.

There is not an EB kit A, B, C, etc.

Eb kits came with Box, tray and proof of purchase sheet (with instuctions).

The variables: Small Catalog v. Big catalog. Both DT and non DT versions had either.

DT Lukes are most commonly SW-A Baggie, but also in other baggies.

Figures usually were in SW-A Baggies originally, but almost all versions of SW-A through SW-D exist.

Most commonly are mismatched baggies.

SW-A no printing is found on Chewbacca, but most SW-A baggies are the white text.

I wish there was a definitive list, but too many variations exist.

I hope this helps a bit...

Captain

yes it does help, thanks. I didn't realise there were SO many variations possible. I believe the EB was only mailed out for about 4 to 6 months right? In that case I don't understand how the baggies could be the 'd' for example. Am I wrong in thinking that the a,b,c,d were in order of time of production? That is what I always assumed. Pls correct me if I am wrong. I assumed that EB, being so early, was only SW-a or maybe -b at the latest, but you are saying this is not the case. Is that right? Is there at least a list of the individual figures, bags that could be found in an EB?
    And just like you Bill I have also recently acquired an EB and am becoming fascinated by by the variations in it.
    No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. Jim Morrison.

yes it does help, thanks. I didn't realise there were SO many variations possible. I believe the EB was only mailed out for about 4 to 6 months right? In that case I don't understand how the baggies could be the 'd' for example. Am I wrong in thinking that the a,b,c,d were in order of time of production? That is what I always assumed. Pls correct me if I am wrong. I assumed that EB, being so early, was only SW-a or maybe -b at the latest, but you are saying this is not the case. Is that right? Is there at least a list of the individual figures, bags that could be found in an EB?
    And just like you Bill I have also recently acquired an EB and am becoming fascinated by by the variations in it.

SW-D baggies, especially R2 are really common. C Baggies seem to be mainly Luke and Leia, and ton of Chewbaccas are A Baggie. I don't why each baggie was used, but may be based on figure production runs.

From what I've seen and owned:

Luke SW-A, SW-B, SW-C
    Leia SW-A, SW-B, SW-C, SW-D
    Chewie SW-A, SW-B
    R2 SW-A, SW-D

But again, SW-A through D are entirely possible on these...

Thank you again, Roger.

I should also add as another source, Shawn_K posted a link to his "Star Wars Mail Away Guide Site", which includes info on the EB kit if you missed it:

New Star Wars Mail Away Guide Site

and the direct link:

http://swspaceclub.com/mailaways/early-bird-kit/

-Bill

Bill, I saw his site, nice stuff, just not too inclusive on all baggies available, mainly focusing on the Lukes... I don't think it would be an easy task to get " all possible " variations...

Quote Originally Posted by SF1138 View Post
    Bill, I saw his site, nice stuff, just not too inclusive on all baggies available, mainly focusing on the Lukes... I don't think it would be an easy task to get " all possible " variations...
    I apologize, I should have mentioned I was just posting the links for general info to those curious about and looking for more info on EB kits, even though it looked like I directed it towards you.

I don't know of any definitive published source that specializes in everything to do with EB kits.

Quote Originally Posted by SF1138 View Post
    Figures usually were in SW-A Baggies originally, but almost all versions of SW-A through SW-D exist.

Most commonly are mismatched baggies.

I wish there was a definitive list, but too many variations exist.

I hope this helps a bit...
    I didn't realise there were SO many variations possible. I believe the EB was only mailed out for about 4 to 6 months right? In that case I don't understand how the baggies could be the 'd' for example.
    The principle of Occams Razor states that the simplest explanation is usually correct. Isn't the simplest explanations that over the past 36 years figures have been swapped around in EB kits?

I mean there must be 100,000s of loose complete figures that are holding a gun that wasn't in the actual bubble that the figure originally came in. Loose vintage items have been seen as interchangeable for decades and surely it's fair to assume that open EB kits have been treated the same?

A dealer buys an EB tray and adds a couple of bagged figures he has in his stock, then he buys a baggie Leia from another dealer he knows and an R2 from some chap at a toy show to complete it. Next day he's advertising a 100% original Early Bird kit for top dollar. I suspect that 30 years of that going on would make mismatched items the norm...
    Last edited by Bonsai_Tree_Ent; 08-04-2013 at 03:19 AM.
    Mark_Yeo likes this.
    BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION... of little figures VEHICLES + PLAYSETS ADDED Vintage Price Guide!!
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai_Tree_Ent View Post
    The principle of Occams Razor states that the simplest explanation is usually correct. Isn't the simplest explanations that over the past 36 years figures have been swapped around in EB kits?

I mean there must be 100,000s of loose complete figures that are holding a gun that wasn't in the actual bubble that the figure originally came in. Loose vintage items have been seen as interchangeable for decades and surely it's fair to assume that open EB kits have been treated the same?

A dealer buys an EB tray and adds a couple of bagged figures he has in his stock, then he buys a baggie Leia from another dealer he knows and an R2 from some chap at a toy show to complete it. Next day he's advertising a 100% original Early Bird kit for top dollar. I suspect that 30 years of that going on would make mismatched items the norm...

Nope. Almost all of the EB Sets I've owned were one owner. Baggies were always mismatched, except one.

Occam's razor would suggest that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected. In other words, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My hypothesis is more simple- they just came that way.
    Last edited by SF1138; 08-04-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast