Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SDCC 2014

SDCC 2014

From the official site.

Comic-Con is working hard to improve the online registration system and will launch Comic-Con 2014 badge preregistration sometime between November 1 and December 31, 2013. Only those that have purchased a Comic-Con 2013 4-Day attendee or 1-Day attendee badge and have a valid Comic-Con Member ID will be eligible to participate in 2014 badge preregistration.

If you attended Comic-Con 2013 as a child, but will be age 13 or older as of November 1, 2013, you must register for a Comic-Con Member ID to be eligible to participate in 2014 preregistration. Once you have registered for a Member ID, log in to your Member ID account after August 8, 2013 and follow the instructions to qualify for preregistration. You will need your Comic-Con 2013 badge to register as an eligible attendee.

Professionals, guests of professionals, exhibitors, exhibitor purchased attendee badges, volunteers, staff, and press will not be allowed to participate in badge preregistration. Open online registration for all categories listed above will occur at a later date.

Eligible attendees will be notified via email with badge preregistration instructions and information sometime in November 2013. The notification will be sent to the email associated with your Member ID account.

Quote Originally Posted by amdevil View Post
    From the official site.

Comic-Con is working hard to improve the online registration system and will launch Comic-Con 2014 badge preregistration sometime between November 1 and December 31, 2013. Only those that have purchased a Comic-Con 2013 4-Day attendee or 1-Day attendee badge and have a valid Comic-Con Member ID will be eligible to participate in 2014 badge preregistration.

If you attended Comic-Con 2013 as a child, but will be age 13 or older as of November 1, 2013, you must register for a Comic-Con Member ID to be eligible to participate in 2014 preregistration. Once you have registered for a Member ID, log in to your Member ID account after August 8, 2013 and follow the instructions to qualify for preregistration. You will need your Comic-Con 2013 badge to register as an eligible attendee.

Professionals, guests of professionals, exhibitors, exhibitor purchased attendee badges, volunteers, staff, and press will not be allowed to participate in badge preregistration. Open online registration for all categories listed above will occur at a later date.

Eligible attendees will be notified via email with badge preregistration instructions and information sometime in November 2013. The notification will be sent to the email associated with your Member ID account.
    I may pass on Comic Con in 2014 for the first time in 8 years. It's finally become too much for me. Not fun at all.

I have accepted a few things with SDCC. I have accepted that I will never see a panel in Hall H again. When I hear about people lining up in the AFTERNOON THE DAY BEFORE the Dr Who panel just to get in, I know that for me, it isnt worth it. I read about fans that were in line at 6:00 am and still couldn't get into to Ballroom 20. I wont even try for those panels anymore.

Ironically, I did line up at 2:00 am for the Hasbro Shop. I really enjoyed the experience. The fellow fans that you meet in line really is a great part of the show for me. The difference for me is, my family meets me at the show later in the day. If they met me in line, I would be one of the many who allows others to "cut" and I dont really agree with that. On the night that I lined up, the "swelling" of the line was insane. I stood in line with a guy who wanted one of the Magic card sets and HTS sold out when we were almost to the registers. I cant help but wonder if any of the fans who jumped in line before the doors opened possibly took one away from him. Many seem entitled to allow a small or even large number of the friends cut in line because one person lined up early, so all their freinds can show up when the doors open. Regardless, I think you have to accept that you may miss an exclusive even if you put in the effort that he put in. I got the exclusive i wanted, but if i wouldnt have, i dont think i would have let it spoil my experience.

Everything at SDCC takes effort. Everything. I think a lot of fans plan on a high number of panels and they are surprised they cant get in. They plan on getting a lot of exclusives and they find out they can't, they want to meet creators or actors on the floor and guess what...they can't. I think you get a shot at one thing each day and only if you put in the time. One exclusive, one panel, one autograph...one. If you dont want to line up before the sunrise, then pre-pay for parking or take a shuttle. Dont create an agenda, or a want list and just let the con happen. 3 of my 4 days involved just that. And i loved it. Just the exhibit floor itself blows me away.

SDCC isnt fun with an agenda because IT WILL NOT WORK. And it wont be fun. I love the show. I look forward to it all year. But my expectations and my priorities have changed and i think thats why i still do.

Coz
    High Admiral

Comic Con is a class VI rapids. It's a blast if you just go with the flow. Try to fight it and it's all over. I've been going for 12 years in a row. All 4 days and preview night. I've abandoned all planning and expectations of seeing panels or buying exclusives. I just jump into the flowing tide that is the convention floor and let it take me where it does. This year I had as much fun outside the convention center as I did inside. I don't care about the major panels. I did see the "Person Of Interest" and "Sleepy Hollow" panels becasue they were in a smaller room, and the line was quick and easy. My wife and I love the free hallmark ornament Star Wars buttons. They give out a different one each day. So that's our big must have now.

Grand Admiral

I think it was around 2005 or 2006 that I decided to stop wasting my time standing in line for exclusives at SDCC.

It was around 2009 or 2010 that I resigned myself to the fact that I'd seen my last panels in Hall H and Ballroom 20.

And unless and until SDCC changes their policy on selling badges, I have accepted that 2011 was probably my last time ever attending SDCC. I'd gone for probably 10 of 15 years from 1997 to 2011, but I chose not to skip portions of the 2011 convention to stand in line for a chance to buy a badge for 2012. As a result, I was unable to get a 4-day badge for 2012, and again couldn't get one of the leftovers for 2013. SDCC's "preregistration" policy now so heavily favors previous attendees over new attendees, that I'm resigned to either watching the coverage on TV, or just ignoring the show altogether.

I used to tell my friends than SDCC was my Disney World - someplace that I could go back to every year, always have fun and never get tired of it. Now SDCC has become my Super Bowl - a huge extravaganza filled with celebrities that I will probably never get to attend.
    Last edited by mousedroid; 08-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Go mbíodh an fhórsa leat

Coz
    High Admiral

Preregistration has always been for attendees hasn't it? At least for the 11 years I've been going. It was always in the convention center, so you had to be an attendee. Then in 2011 they moved it over to the hotel, but you needed a badge. And last year it was online for previous attendees. The whole idea of prereg is that it's for attendees, always has been as far as I know.

Grand Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Coz View Post
    Preregistration has always been for attendees hasn't it? At least for the 11 years I've been going. It was always in the convention center, so you had to be an attendee. Then in 2011 they moved it over to the hotel, but you needed a badge. And last year it was online for previous attendees. The whole idea of prereg is that it's for attendees, always has been as far as I know.
    You're right - preregistration has always been for attendees. But in the past it was a different story. In the past you could buy your tickets/badges for the next year ahead of time and the con gave you a small discount in exchange for them getting to use your money for a whole year. As little as 15 years ago they probably only had an at-the-convention prebuy rate of around 10-25%.

That began to change as the con got more popular. When more people wanted to go and badges started selling out online earlier and earlier, more and more people began to preregister for the following year. I don't know if I have the years right exactly, but prior to around 2008 you used to automatically get in to Preview Night with a 4-day badge. Then they decided Preview night was too crowded so they started selling 4-day badges with or without Preview Night, and Preveiw Night, which used to be free, became a premium you had to pay for. IIRC 2010 was the first year they sold out of 4-Day badges with Preview Night at the show. I think that's also the first year they did away with discounts for preregistration and the first year that 4-Day badges cost the same as, or more than four single day badges.

In short, preregistration for attendees at the show was as much, or more, for the benefit of the con as it was for the attendees. That is no longer the case. As far as I know, there is no longer any discount for preregistering - so that benefit is gone, and the con is at a point where, if they opened sales to the public on the Monday after the show, they would be sold out in a matter of hours, so the idea of enticing existing attendees to pay for next year is moot as well.

Preregistration still does hold a benefit to the prior year's attendees, but it excludes a lot of other people who would like to go. In other words, IMO, preregistration for prior attendees has outlived its purpose with respect to SDCC.
    Last edited by mousedroid; 08-23-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Go mbíodh an fhórsa leat

Quote Originally Posted by mousedroid View Post
    In other words, IMO, preregistration for prior attendees has outlived its purpose with respect to SDCC.
    Not if you are a prior year attendee. The process as it is now gives me multiple chances to get my badge, so I'm all for it.

I dont know what the solution is for the registration process as a whole. The demand outweighs the number of badges available. It isnt unlike a rock concert or particular sporting events. However the ability to buy tickets on a secondary market isnt avaliable for SDCC like it usually is for the other events. In my eyes thats a posotive. If brokers could buy badges and flip them, they would be even harder to get at "face value". What I feel ISNT the solution is a lottery system for badges. I have heard it was considered by CCI and I really hope it will never be implemented. Any type of drawing seems to eliminate any element of what I perceive to be "fair". Like I said, I dont know what the soluton for registration is other then the current system. The advantage that previous attendees have over other potential guests works in my favor, but it also prevents me from ever wanting to miss a year. If I dont attend a year, I know my chances of getting a badge the following year almost disappear.

I also beleive that somewhere in the next few years, we will see an a la cart system for SDCC or possibly even a tiered system that events like SW Celebration use. "Nerd HQ" has become tremendously popular. Granted that tickets for the "panels" sell out in minutes, but once you have a ticket, your seat is guaranteed. You then have the freedom of entering the panel literally seconds before it begins. CCI has to be aware of its popularity and the positive feedback that it seems to be receiving. I recognize that CCI is non-profit, but what would the interest be if SDCC began to sell tickets for panels individually? Or if you could buy a "Saturday - Hall H" badge or even a "Iron Man 4" badge in addition to your 4-day. Doesnt SW celebration offer Jedi knight/master tiered tickets that include incentives. It would seem impossible that the directors of SDCC havent at least discussed it. If there was a ticket that you could buy for SDCC that would GUARANTEE front row (no waiting) seats for all ballrooms and dealers. They could charge anything they wanted and they would sell all they offered. Would fans love or hate the idea? I guess it would depend on who got them and who didn't. Would it alleviate some of the bitterness that some fans have towards the show or elevate it?

Coz
    High Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by mousedroid View Post
    Preregistration still does hold a benefit to the prior year's attendees, but it excludes a lot of other people who would like to go. In other words, IMO, preregistration for prior attendees has outlived its purpose with respect to SDCC.
    I don't see how it excludes anyone that it didn't exclude before. You always had to be a previous year atendee to participate in prereg.

As far as a solution, there is none until they expand the convention center or move it t another city. And there is absolutely no chance of the expansion happening before the cons commitment to stay in S.D. expires. The demand being what it is, I'm pretty sure they are going to move it. They are losing money by keeping it here. They sell 130,000 badges now. They could easily sell twice that. Anaheim seems like the logical choice. It's a shame our city can't get their act together and expand the convention center. We're going to loose the con. We lost the superbowl already and will probably loose the Chargers because we can't get anything done here.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast