Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: NECA - Planet Of The Apes - Classic & Modern!

Admiral

Cool NECA - Planet Of The Apes - Classic & Modern!

While they didn't have any prototypes on display for the line... they did announce at SDCC that they have secured the license for Planet of the Apes. Both the Classic Films and the modern Rise and Dawn. Which is awesome sauce. They said they plan to treat it like their Alien and Predator lines. Which means plenty of awesome sauce figures.

There will be two different lines running at the same time. One Classic. One Modern.

They said that they don't have Charlton Heston's likeness rights at the moment... but are working on it.
    Frankly, I can give or take getting Taylor or other humans in the line. I want some damn dirty apes. From both film series.

Hopefully 70's Era Clothing Cornelius and Zira will be near the top of the list.

High Admiral

Excellent news. I've been a big POTA fan since first seeing the films as kid on network TV broadcasts back in the '80's.

However, IMHO the best film so far in the franchise was 2011's Rise of the Planet of the Apes. This is actually one of my all-time favorite films, ever. Looking forward to Dawn next year as well.

Not extremely interested in Classic POTA figures, though it's nice they're being made.

Am very interested in figures from Rise & the forthcoming Dawn of the POTA, however. I'm guessing that Dawn would probably generate more figures, since the Apes may be in uniforms by that point.

Conversely, though Rise was a great film, I can only really think of a handful of figures that would be that interesting, i.e. Caeasar, the big gorilla, the scarred gorilla, and Ceasar on the horse.

The originals were on every weekend in the US somewhere it seemed. What a neat idea and I'll certainly get a few namely dr zaius!

I LOVE DR ZAIUS!!!!!!!!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
    "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Yeah, I wet my pants when I saw NECA post this as their Twitter pic the other day. POTA is closely tied with Indiana Jones as my second favorite film franchise (the first being SW). I have tons of Ape stuff, but have been waiting for really good, super posable POTA figures for years (not counting the original MEGO ones, which were great for their time, but are stylistic). I have pretty much all of the Medicom ones from the early '00s, and while they have great sculpts and paint apps, they barely move. Thankfully NECA said they have no interest in doing figures from that God awful Tim Burton reimaging from 2000. Pure crapfest, tis that.

Is it too much to hope for both 7 in. AND 3 3/4" Ape figures? I'm always saying my dream line is a 3 3/4" POTA line based on classic movies and tv show, with figures, horses, playsets, vehicles, etc. There's so much that can be done with them.

Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by ThallJoben View Post
    Conversely, though Rise was a great film, I can only really think of a handful of figures that would be that interesting, i.e. Caeasar, the big gorilla, the scarred gorilla, and Ceasar on the horse.
    What... no Maurice?

Awesome!!! I used to have the Megos as a child and loved them. I'm very excited for these to be done by Neca with there new added articulation ways. Can't wait to get my dirty hands on these.
    The only people that say they don't totally love action figures are the ones that are either lying or are wrong

steveaustin's feedback

Oh man, if they make a horse(like the ones we saw on the Lone Ranger line) and a soldier ape I will prob explode.
    The only people that say they don't totally love action figures are the ones that are either lying or are wrong

steveaustin's feedback

Moff

Boy was I jazzed after reading this. I was lucky enough to get Mr. Heston's autograph on a Taylor still thru his sons production company; also Roddy McDowall & Vincent Price at a play in Delaware before they all passed. Also Ricardo M. on a Conquest lobby card...so yeah, big orig. franchise fan. I have the SSC & Hot Toys Apes line, the Medicom's & the figures from the Tim Burton reimagining. Can't wait to see 1st shots. I'm loving NECA more & more by the minute!
    Last edited by jedisquared; 07-25-2013 at 12:18 PM.

I was born in '73 so either POTA or LR or Tarzan was on TV after cartoons on Saturday.

NECA Tarzan (Weissmuller AND Lambert!) figures would be awesome!!!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
    "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

The classic line will have my interest. Depending on how they look and what they make I'm definitely interested in Taylor, and a pair of gorilla soldiers/guards for sure. Possibly Zaius and the others. Depends on how they looks and price.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast