Thread: What is taking so long?

Line Captain

What is taking so long?

I understand there is some hold up on new figures because of the disney purchase, but it has been so long since i have seen anything new on the shelves. walmart has had the same 3 figurs for 10 months now and the same is true in other stores. not to mention, there are not even gi joe figures anywhere. the shelf at walmart is empty, save for a few on motorcycles. and while i am at it, just because there are these new live action gi joe movies does not mean you should cancel other gi joe lines. i never even saw any of the line with the zombies. they looked pretty cool online, but how can i spend my money on the toys you make if you do not see fit to make sure they make it to my town? not to mention also, i think i was a bigger fan of the older versions of gi joe more so than the new line of movie figures. and last, i do not see how you expect to keep the interest of the consumer if you are not willing to preoduce what the consumer wants. i have seen the 3.75 inch adventure team fugures and they are amazing, but not $40 amazing, not gi joe club $40 membership fee amazing. but if i walked into walmart and saw these on the shelf i would prolly blow my credit card on them. get your heads out of the...well, you know, and get busy making me toys that i can buy and then you can be rich and i will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepy View Post
    I understand there is some hold up on new figures because of the disney purchase, but it has been so long since i have seen anything new on the shelves. walmart has had the same 3 figurs for 10 months now and the same is true in other stores. not to mention, there are not even gi joe figures anywhere. the shelf at walmart is empty, save for a few on motorcycles. and while i am at it, just because there are these new live action gi joe movies does not mean you should cancel other gi joe lines. i never even saw any of the line with the zombies. they looked pretty cool online, but how can i spend my money on the toys you make if you do not see fit to make sure they make it to my town? not to mention also, i think i was a bigger fan of the older versions of gi joe more so than the new line of movie figures. and last, i do not see how you expect to keep the interest of the consumer if you are not willing to preoduce what the consumer wants. i have seen the 3.75 inch adventure team fugures and they are amazing, but not $40 amazing, not gi joe club $40 membership fee amazing. but if i walked into walmart and saw these on the shelf i would prolly blow my credit card on them. get your heads out of the...well, you know, and get busy making me toys that i can buy and then you can be rich and i will be happy.
    GHR: Black Series at ToysRUs | Galactic Hunter
    Que la Fuerza te acompaņe
    Wants:
    My Transaction Feedback
    My Trade List

Hasbro is probably the most frustrating company to collect products from, it simply amazes me how they continue to get worse and worse, year after year. Its the main reason I stopped collecting any modern star wars, and about to stop collecting modern GI Joes.

I'm just stopping Hasbro all together as soon as these ultimate GI joe line is out. I already stopped Star Wars after I completed TVC, and focusing all my attention to Vintage toys. It's easier to aquire than stuff from this piece of (insert word here) company. I just wish Hasbro would sell their licenses and go bankrupt. I know it won't happen, but I just wish they would since they mismanage everything they own.
    My Feedback
    TK-9433
    nWo 4 LIFE!
    [-o-] (-o-) [-o-]

•    
    well since they just extended the SW/Marvel license till 2020 we are stuck with them.

the problems with hasbro is a multi part nightmare.

1.) if there is a movie in the theaters or some hot new TV show (ie TPM for Star Wars and Iron Man 3 for Marvel) then Hasbro is going to saturate the market with movie related product. that was one of the main problems with The Vintage Collection last year. both Hasbro and Lucasfilm were hoping the 3D release of TPM would be enough to warrant the sale and distribution of thousands of Qui Gon's, Obi's and Maul's. thus waves of future releases were packed with repacks of the TPM series and thus made collecting a nightmare.

2.) big box retailers are only going to order product that sells and will make them money. if the product is not moving they are not going to restock again with the same product and loss $$. it's just bad business to back a failing line.

3.) Hasbro decided that they needed 3 lines to be run at the same time with the same figures in each line. We had the Movie Heroes line with sub par figures and of course our Jedi Heroes Qui Gon and Obi. we had the Vintage collection with of course Obi Wan and Qui Gon and we had the Clone Wars line with again Obi Wan. and to top it all off we had the Walmart/5 Below exclusive line with even more Qui Gon's and Obi Wan's. a tad bit of overkill one might say, a bloody nightmare for retail. I can remember going to my local walmart and counting on the pegs close to 50 Qui Gon Jinn's between the 3 waves (and they were all the same figure with different accessories) and close to 60 Obi Wan's as well. at one point there was nothing but a sea of Jedi, and TRU was worse.

4.) G.I. Joe - this can be blamed on 2 fronts really. first was the failure of the production department filming the movie and finishing it and then deciding Oh wait let's reshoot the movie in 3D. Hasbro already had the product ready to go with Wave 1 on the shelf (not the most stellar of waves but that's another subject). Hasbro really has it's hands tied on the Joe product as the Production company tells Hasbro what they want to see get made into the toy line. Paramount owns the rights to Movie related product on the Joe front.
    second problem was in fact Hasbro releasing the first wave of figures and then pulling them from retail when the movie was pushed back for the 3D conversion. then when the movie was getting ready to hit theaters.... Hasbro re-releases Wave 1 again and continues to reship Wave 1. (doesn't make any sense on the business part). by the time Retaliation hit theaters the vibe for the figures had somewhat dried up based on the look of Wave 1 and the over abundance of Wave 1. Hasbro should have filled the gap with perhaps another wave of the 30th Anniversay figures or repacks of the POC waves. instead nothing. third retailers were tired of seeing Wave 1 sitting on the pegs and decided that they did not want to lose more money by ordering more product thus no figures at retail.

Now What Hasbro Should Do.

let's face it .... Hasbro is not going anywhere. they have the G.I. Joe / Star Wars / Marvel license for the near future. Hasbro needs to have 1 line of figures per license. this will hopefully elimate the double figures in each line and hopefully leave more space on the pegs for more product. think of this way if TRU has 30 pegs that can hold 10 figures per peg for a total of 300 figures and then has to divide that by 3 different lines (MH, CW, Vintage) that leaves 100 figures per line. if they combined all 3 lines into one (let's say Vintage since that's the one line that almost every collector and fan can agree on that it's the best of the best) that would be a retail space of 300 Vintage style SW figures for the fans or 25 cases of Vintage Figures that can be put on retail space. that would be a beautiful sight to behold and harken back to the 80's when SW ruled the Toy Aisles. second Hasbro needs to work on a quarterly basis... ie every 4 months the new wave/waves are brought to the big box retailers and the older figures are removed from the pegs thus being replaced by new figures for the people to find and buy. third, Hasbro needs to stop with the carry forward concept. I understand that the main characters need to be in constant rotation but at least change the look of the character. I mean if you need to keep Luke, Han, Leia and Vader in rotation that's fine but realize Han has different looks throught the OT as well as Luke and Leia. release an all new version of the character to keep the interest in the fans and the kids. Vader however is tricky but if they were to keep the Vintage style cardback they could at least release Vader on 3 different types of cards for starters as well as give us a different vader for each with perhaps a different accessory. SW vader couold come with a repack of the TAC obi wan molded cloak, ESB coould feature perhaps a Bespin Weather vain for Luke or a removable helmet feature, ROTJ could be a repack of the DS rail as well as removable 2 part helmet and hand.

this may be a pipe dream but this is how I would tackle the problem with the SW line if I were in charge of Hasbro.
    Longing for the Good Old Kenner Days where SW Figures were in great supply and everyone was able to find their favorite characters etc..... Hasbro you need to follow this example ! Darkartist2014.tumblr.com

Unfortunately, the Star Wars brand has been in constant production now for the past 18 years. Production and sales have nowhere to go but down. Hasbro believes that they need to keep the main characters in rotation, but consumers are overwhelmed/bored with the same characters hanging on the pegs. Consumers would like to see characters that have never been made before, or updates to some characters who were only made once previously. But Hasbro still can't meet sales goals by offering a bunch of characters that only die hard collectors (and not casual consumers) can relate to. Especially if they are characters from movies that are 30+ years old.

It's a no-win scenario until a new movie gets released that sparks interest for parents who are buying toys for their children. The collector market becomes a secondary consideration, and can only be justified/supported by new media for the masses.
    WANTS: VC21 Gamorrean Guards, VC105 Emperor's Royal Guard, TAC/TLC BFII Clone Engineers
    My Clone Armies: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1071741/
    urbnns69 Feedback Thread