Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: EBay buyers that bid low to.....

EBay buyers that bid low to.....

I find that I have some ebayers that always bid low on high priced items but rarely win them. I was wondering if any other sellers have this situation and why do you think it is? Do you think it is to keep track of the high rollers in the game? I have no idea here....shots in the dark. Funny thing is too....they sell high priced items...how do I know.....I checked.
    Last edited by SeerDrakon; 07-17-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    My Feedback
    WTB SISE FROMM C9 MOC!!
    Any loose C9 Ledy's Does anybody on RS sell these anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by SeerDrakon View Post
    I find that I have some ebayers that always bid low on high priced items but rarely win them. I was wondering if any other sellers have this situation and why do you think it is? Do you think it is to keep track of the high rollers in the game? I have no idea here....shots in the dark. Funny thing is too....they sell high priced items...how do I know.....I checked.
    Well, they are hoping to get a deal good enough to flip the item. I'm sure that every once in a long while it pays off for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorOakenfelder View Post
    Well, they are hoping to get a deal good enough to flip the item. I'm sure that every once in a long while it pays off for them.

Yes and no. Take a MISB Boba Fett for example.....C9 condition. How much would you bid? 100...200? Well I have guys that only bid 20 or so. We all know that the Fett will never sell for 20.00...regardless of how you list it. I have looked at their history and such and they buy high priced items all the time.
    My Feedback
    WTB SISE FROMM C9 MOC!!
    Any loose C9 Ledy's Does anybody on RS sell these anymore?

I think it's a lot of keeping track of auctions and value on items that you aspire to get at some point, at least that's a big part for me; especially prior to the MW blog. Also a lot of people will try to get items that they are on the edge for buying at a low price, because they know that freak occasions will occur.

This last round on eBay my auctions got more mid priced repeat bids from seasoned repeat customers then ever. I think a lot of the time you get a lot of loyalty in this hobby from other faithful collectors who just feel comfortable buying from you as well, as I've had great experiences with all of my repeat customers.
    ROTJ/Revenge Focus Collector

RIP Warrior 1959-2014 - Always Believe!

It's simply for the fact that they may get lucky, they can watch the item so why bid on it? Plus at the beginning of an auction it starts on the low end so why bid your max when you can watch it go until you're either out or you can take the auction.

People simply rolling the dice and hoping the seller in in a desperate enough situation that they need money quick.

Last edited by Deedzy; 07-17-2013 at 09:31 PM.

I put low bids on things occasionally just in case no one else notices it, somehow.

I've seen auctions on their last day still sitting at $50, knowing that they will end at $500. It doesn't hurt to try.

Lieutenant Commander

I have occasionally bid early on items and added them to my watch list. It's usually easier to keep track of a "You've been outbid" situation than the "An item you are watching ends soon" scenario - at least for me because I tend to watch so many items wishing I had cash to buy it all
    RetroRewindToys likes this.
    "Hmmm! Adventure. Pffff! Excitement. A Jedi craves not these things."

This is my feedback thread

Ebay only allows 200 watched items, so if you place a low bid, you can track the item... No limit on the number...

Dax

Additionally I've had auctions I was watching with the intent of throwing my bid in at the last second only to see the auction yanked days before the end. It's possible a seller might be getting nervous thinking nobody is actually going to bid and decide to accept an offer someone has made to them. I figure if I at least throw a 'place holder' bid down then the seller knows there is someone actually willing to bid on their item.
    icruise and SmokeyP like this.
    "I'm sorry, but I'm not going to watch the Clone Wars TV series until I've seen the Clone Wars movie. I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast