Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Beware the 'almighty' Plano storage cases

Beware the 'almighty' Plano storage cases

So, my baby girl needed her own room, so my in-apartment photo studio became a nursery. I packed up my studio, and found a new place to shoot toys out of. Despite the space I had, I was reluctant to move my loose classic Kenner figures there, so I bought a bunch of Plano cases and packed them up. After about a year, we decided to move to a bigger place which allowed mer to move my photo studio back in-house, which is great, right?

The other day I took joy old figures out of the Planos, and about 85% of them have sticky limbs now.

Obviously, you'd think that there are other conditions involved, but I kept the collection in a dark corner of my bedroom closet and they were only in the cases for 15 months.
    Serving the Star Wars Generation since 1996.
    http://cooltoyreview.com
    http://www.rebelscum.com
    PT+TCW+OT=SW

Out of curiosity, in what state are you? Typical humidity/temp?

As per my job i have a few decades dealing with Plano storage boxes.

They basically dont mix with harder compound plastics and old paint too well.

In the last 20 years they have changed the chemicals in their plastic to be able to cope with the millions of different types of soft plastic fishing lures around the globe, they are designed for modern plastic/s these days.

Ive got maybe 50 full plano cases of hard plastic and soft plastic lures, ive watched over the years many different types of plastics deteriorate in them.

Whilst they are a great company and the material of their cases has been refined to be able to cope with most plastics and their paint jobs, they are not designed to be used as loose figure holders, especially with 30 year old plastic and paint.

So id recommend people stay right away from them for vintage figures.

Of all
    -- Looking for Polish and Mexican bootlegs.--The Pablo Picasso's of the Star Wars universe.. WTB Jaws (movie) memorabilia and models.
    -- ''Blue and Gold will never fold'', Parramatta Eels Rugby League Club - Passionate life member..

I stored my childhood figures in the star wars vinyl cases..the original gray trays. They have resided in attics and basements...in New England and still have their plastic smell, no color fading, sticky or anything else...as crazy as it sounds those cases were perfect for me. The cases have worn a bit but I keep them in those cases still as I have not completed a man cave!

•    
    I have had mine in Plano cases and flambeau cases for years with no problems. Both Star Wars and gi joe. Though I keep them in a room with airflow and its normal conditions

I have noticed sticky limbs on some vintage figures stored in Plano boxes, but it doesn't happen to every figure. Maybe 2 out of every 12 figures stored in one of those cases gets sticky limbs. I think the Imperial Dignitary and Paploo got it the worst.

Anyways, it's good to know that it might have been the Plano cases. I live in central Illinois, which is very humid year round, so that could be another factor.

•    
    Is there any treatment for sticky-limbs syndrome? I have a Bossk with the same issue; it just seems to be happening on the brown paint on his arms & legs. I keep him in a vintage Vader case with my other beaters and I put a dessicant pack in there, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Two things worth looking into with these types of storage solutions. Temperature of the area where you have the figures stored. Putting breather holes in each compartment. I've kept my figures in individual poly (soft) blister cases in a dark cool place and have not had any issues.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by JadBean View Post
    Is there any treatment for sticky-limbs syndrome?
    Yes! Simple warm water and mild soap washes the residue away quickly.

Ian
    JadBean and Rudy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by finestcomics View Post
    Two things worth looking into with these types of storage solutions. Temperature of the area where you have the figures stored. Putting breather holes in each compartment. I've kept my figures in individual poly (soft) blister cases in a dark cool place and have not had any issues.
    From what I've read, the lack of air flow is a big deal.

I've drilled an abundance of holes in all my storage boxes and any baggies the figures are in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast